Lebron Opts Out/Becomes Free Agent

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we ain't getting Love. Wiggins and filler is going to put him on Cleveland. We have nothing like Wiggins to make our offer as enticing. and truthfully, neither does anyone else.

Very true. Cleveland is going to make a huge mistake if they trade Wiggin's for Love IMO. Love, Kyrie, and Lebron will make most of the payroll. It's going to turn into the same situation he was in with Miami. They won't have anything to pay these young guys as they come up for new contracts. They should stay away from Love and build on what they have IMO. It will take a few years to build up a true contender, but Love is a quick fix that I don't see working. He's like using duct tape where you need a new pipe.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true. Cleveland is going to make a huge mistake if they trade Wiggin's for Love IMO. Love, Kyrie, and Lebron will make most of the payroll. It's going to turn into the same situation he was in with Miami. They won't have anything to pay these young guys as they come up for new contracts. They should stay away from Love and build on what they have IMO. It will take a few years to build up a true contender, but Love is a quick fix that I don't see working. He's like using duct tape where you need a new pipe.

Kyrie is nowhere near the player Wade was but assuming he can get close to that level, I don't think it will be a problem. It fell apart in Miami because the owner chose to save a few bucks and Wade's knees are shot. Plus, they did manage to go to 4 finals and win two of them. I think Love is hugely undervalued by most fans and pairing him with Lebron is an ideal situation for both of them. If they could find a sucker willing to swap Kyrie for a real point guard, that team could be scary.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyrie is nowhere near the player Wade was but assuming he can get close to that level, I don't think it will be a problem. It fell apart in Miami because the owner chose to save a few bucks and Wade's knees are shot. Plus, they did manage to go to 4 finals and win two of them. I think Love is hugely undervalued by most fans and pairing him with Lebron is an ideal situation for both of them. If they could find a sucker willing to swap Kyrie for a real point guard, that team could be scary.

Steve

I was talking about salary. 3 players making max contracts. Yes, it worked in the short term in Miami, but that was also because they all took a little less in the beginning to make it work. They will have no depth. So I guess what I'm saying, I disagree whole heartedly with you on this. :) We'll see how it plays out.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
we ain't getting Love. Wiggins and filler is going to put him on Cleveland. We have nothing like Wiggins to make our offer as enticing. and truthfully, neither does anyone else.
Is there any chance that we could capitalize on Bledsoe being LeBron's buddy and get Cleveland to get us Love (with re-signing assurance) by them offering Minnesota some of their overabundance of 1st round picks?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I completely disagree. Miami didn't fail because of those three contracts. They failed because two of those three guys didn't live up to those contracts this year. When they were playing at superstar levels, they lost one series in 3 years. Kyrie, LeBron, Love and veterans will win the East easily and have three stars in their prime to add veterans to.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I completely disagree. Miami didn't fail because of those three contracts. They failed because two of those three guys didn't live up to those contracts this year. When they were playing at superstar levels, they lost one series in 3 years. Kyrie, LeBron, Love and veterans will win the East easily and have three stars in their prime to add veterans to.

If Melo goes to Chicago, and if Rose is healthy (I know, I know...big freaking If's) that's gonna be a hell of a series for the ECF.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there any chance that we could capitalize on Bledsoe being LeBron's buddy and get Cleveland to get us Love (with re-signing assurance) by them offering Minnesota some of their overabundance of 1st round picks?

So you are talking about a Love to Phoenix, Wiggins to Minny, Bledsoe to Cleveland basic idea with picks thrown in to even things out? Minny is not dealing Love without getting Wiggins.

I would be interested, but I am not sure the other teams would be.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, Love and Kyrie have so far only lead their teams to the lottery. We can disagree all day long, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When the going gets tough Lebron quits. Patterns are funny in that they repeat themselves.

Gee what can I do to erase this failure after I guaranteed what, 7 rings? What will get me the MOST ATTENTION POSSIBLE and make everyone like me and make me look like a super nice guy again? Oh I know I'll go back to Cleveland!

I do not like Lebron the ham, I do not like him Sam I Am...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
When the going gets tough Lebron quits. Patterns are funny in that they repeat themselves.

Gee what can I do to erase this failure after I guaranteed what, 7 rings? What will get me the MOST ATTENTION POSSIBLE and make everyone like me and make me look like a super nice guy again? Oh I know I'll go back to Cleveland!

I do not like Lebron the ham, I do not like him Sam I Am...

Heh, I was just thinking the same thing. Don't care where he is, or who he plays for, he's still a douche bag. Frankly, I am glad he didn't chose Phoenix.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I think it's funny, ESPN is saying cavs have a better ********* than the heat had 4 years ago. Irving and Love are IMO, the two most overrated players in the League (Melo, Pau Gasol, and Rubio are close) and unless Top-4 Teams in East dismantle I don't see him getting into NBA Finals barring another deal.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if Cleveland fans will be so happy when they learn they get Andrew with Lebron. That may have been a deal killer if they knew before hand.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
sunsfan88 said:
So is everyone staying or going home now? Melo staying in NY, LBJ to CLE and Bosh to Houston?
Is there any NBA player worth a damn that's from Arizona?

Channing Frye left.
Yup, he's worth a damn. Every time he left our Center or Power Forward alone in the post, I said, "Damn!" :)

chickenhead

Reaction score
My speculation about Cleveland is that if Lebron goes there, he will have more control than anywhere else, with a possible ownership stake down the road. Gilbert is eating crow to get him back. There are probably promises about paying the luxury tax being made. There's no Riley in his way. Free agents will want to join him there.

I'm not saying it will work, and there's a good chance that too much power may end up being a detriment if he's surrounded by yes men only. But it's an unprecedented opportunity for a player.

In his pod this week, Jalen Rose thought that a post-retirement ownership stake for Lebron was a distinct possibility. He is of course just speculating as well, and I totally understand the counterpoints that it's not being discussed because of the CBA - but honestly, I would be genuinely surprised if it didn't happen. Certainly if James finishes his career there. Interesting discussion on the pod about this being the power move on and off the court. I can't believe that Lebron will finish his career with his NBA income dictated by an owners' cap, without seeking to benefit from ownership afterwards.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So LeBron "no one in the NBA should ever wear #23 again" James will be wearing...you guessed it...#23 in Cleveland.

No one should ever take what he says seriously, IMHO.

Did he suddenly lose all of the respect he had for Michael Jordan and his number?

:lame:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So LeBron "no one in the NBA should ever wear #23 again" James will be wearing...you guessed it...#23 in Cleveland.

Did he suddenly lose all of the respect he had for Michael Jordan and his number?

Brian, didn't you know? He is The King. He does whatever he wants and the people rejoice.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Who cares? This whole retiring jersey's thing is short-sighted anyway. In 200 years or so, there will be no numbers left, and then what will they do?

;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake