Leftwich gives Cards reason to regret '03 draft

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin and Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich became friends early in 2003 while preparing for the NFL draft. They have stayed close and sometimes wondered what it would be like to play together.

It didn't have to be a dream.

Had the Cardinals made a different decision in 2003, Leftwich could be throwing to Boldin on Sunday in Sun Devil Stadium instead of playing against him.

The Cardinals had the sixth pick that year, and the Jaguars had the seventh. The Cardinals traded down, sending the pick to New Orleans for the 17th and 18th selections.

Jacksonville then took Leftwich, who has become one of the league's best young quarterbacks. The Cardinals took receiver Bryant Johnson and defensive end Calvin Pace, neither of whom has become a regular starter.

"That's one of those picks, in hindsight, you wish you would have made," Rod Graves, the Cardinals vice president for football operations, said of Leftwich.

Leftwich replaced Mark Brunell and gave the Jaguars a young, reliable player who should be the team's quarterback for years. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have started five quarterbacks in the past three seasons.

Stability at quarterback is one reason the Jaguars are 7-3 and contending for a wild-card spot in the playoffs, and the Cardinals are 3-7.

"The transition period can sometimes take teams a long time to go between a guy the caliber of Mark Brunell and finding the next quarterback," Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said. "We were able to make that transition.

"To be able to get your franchise quarterback settled, I think that's very important for an organization to be able to do."

The Cardinals' situation is still unsettled. John Navarre, who is third on the depth chart, is the only quarterback under contract for 2006. The team likely will try to re-sign Kurt Warner, but he'll be 35 next season and isn't the long-term answer.

In 2003, there was a faction of the Cardinals organization that wanted the team to draft a quarterback and have him compete for the starting job with Josh McCown, who had been taken the year before in the third round.

But most of the focus in the draft that year was improving a weak pass rush and replacing receiver David Boston. The club not only passed on taking Leftwich. It also gave up the chance to take Arizona State's Terrell Suggs, rated as the top pass rusher.

"We weren't as focused on Leftwich as far as our plans were concerned," Graves said. "But our grades were stout on him, the arm strength, the competitiveness, the toughness.

"We were just more focused on the 'need' factor, as opposed to taking the best player available."

Leftwich doesn't remember the Cardinals showing any special interest in him, but he did think there was a possibility they could take him.

"I knew once they made that trade there was no way I was going to the Saints because they've got (Aaron Brooks) down there," he said. "But they (the Cardinals) do got my boy down there. Anquan, that's my boy."

With their second-round pick, the 54th overall, the Cardinals took Boldin, who made the Pro Bowl his rookie year.

In the past three seasons, Boldin and Leftwich have remained close friends. They talk to each other on the phone often. After Sunday's game in St. Louis, Boldin heard from Leftwich, who had seen highlights of Boldin eluding seven Rams on a touchdown catch.

"I told him he was trying to run everybody over," Leftwich said.

In the off-season, the two sometimes daydream about playing together. "But he's in Jacksonville and I'm in Arizona," Boldin said.

Boldin could have ended up in Jacksonville. He was on the board in the second round when Jacksonville took cornerback Rashean Mathis, who has played well.

"I guess I have to make them pay for it this Sunday," Boldin said, laughing.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1124cards1124.html

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"That's one of those picks, in hindsight, you wish you would have made," Rod Graves, the Cardinals vice president for football operations, said of Leftwich.

Man, in the era of coach speak (and in this case GM speak) that sounds like a pretty honest regret to me. I would have expected something more along the lines of "Sure Leftwich is a good young player, but we have faith in our picks and are expecting big things from them".
His comments sound like "Sure, I could have slept with that one really hot girl, but I took these two uggos home cause I could have them both".
Ouchie.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
I will always remember where I was when I heard the Cardinals traded down and passed on Leftwich. For me it is kinda like the Shuttle accident - I will always remember where I was when I heard the news

What a fu#$ up that was

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stronso said:
What a fu#$ up that was
Amen. And, to make it worse, they called Clavin Pace's name and nobody on the analyst panel had his stuff in front of them because they didn't expect to have to talk about him for another hour or so.

I think Mel Kiper literally laughed at us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

"We were just more focused on the 'need' factor, as opposed to taking the best player available."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you cannot simply draft for need.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you cannot simply draft for need.
Actually, I disagree a little bit. I just don't think the Cardinals did a good job of identifying their needs. Yeah, a pass rusher and a WR were high on the list, but by my estimation, QB wasn't very far behind.

That draft made me sick to my stomach. Seriously.

EDIT: How was it that the Cardinals had such a piss-poor draft when even lay-people like us knew right away that it was a disaster? I'm really very serious about this question. I know that they thought McDougal would be there for them when they traded back, but GD, take Suggs. Take Leftwich. Jeez. At least we go Boldin...but that had nothing to do with the disasterous trade down.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals should put the first two rounds of the draft in the hands of a panel of fans. Think of the publicity it would get and the good will.

If we had done that from 200-2003 we'd have a much better team, IMO.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll never forget the look on Mac's face... looking like he's just been punched in the gut. I don't know if he was against the trade, or if the fact that they had just drafted two late second rounders with two first round draft picks.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
There is a raging debate on just who was responsible for the '03 draft--

Mac lobbied for two starters out of the draft and was okay with trading down -- and then immediately distanced himself from the deal when the players they thought would be there were not.

Mac definately didnt want a QB in round 1, as he wanted immediate help because he knew his job was on the line.

While Graves played a role in the deal, Mac had a great deal of influence on Bill Sr. Graves went along with the strategic direction.

Mac was a good guy but also a guy not above self promotion and taking advantage of the media love.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no debate over the draft selections or selction of coaches in the Mac era.

How many times do I have to say this

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That draft made me sick to my stomach. Seriously.

EDIT: How was it that the Cardinals had such a piss-poor draft when even lay-people like us knew right away that it was a disaster? I'm really very serious about this question. I know that they thought McDougal would be there for them when they traded back, but GD, take Suggs. Take Leftwich. Jeez. At least we go Boldin...but that had nothing to do with the disasterous trade down.

It is astonishing how crappy that 1st round pick was, I remember this board talked all midseason and offseason about would Suggs or Leftwich be there and bothe were there when the CArds picked and the jerks traded down, I'm still bitter over it!!!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Up there with Steve Bono incident as one of ythe most embarrassing moments in Arizona Cardinals history. If only every game was a preseason game then Pace and BJ would be on the fast track straight to the HOF.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Pariah said:
Amen. And, to make it worse, they called Clavin Pace's name and nobody on the analyst panel had his stuff in front of them because they didn't expect to have to talk about him for another hour or so.

I think Mel Kiper literally laughed at us.

Calvin himself said he was grocery shopping and had no idea he was gonna go in the 1st round. He said he thought he would go in the 3rd, or next day. I feel bad for him a little, his expectations are so high because he's a 1st rounder. Had he acually been a 3rd or 4th rounder, we would all probaly be saying what a steal he was.

Leftwich sucks anyway, Suggs is what the Cardinals could have had.:D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

Ouch. Can you say BURN.

So long BJ and Pace.

I am going to predict we trade them to NE for some of their extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks. They are always willing to take on other teams so called trash that have some upside. Thats right you heard it here first. (P.S. I am not liable for those comments as I am weak and starving having not eatin anything waiting for the Thanksgiving meal.)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Man, I remember when I was a part of the Leftwich bandwagon...

What could have been.....

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Ouch. Can you say BURN.

So long BJ and Pace.

I am going to predict we trade them to NE for some of their extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks. They are always willing to take on other teams so called trash that have some upside. Thats right you heard it here first. (P.S. I am not liable for those comments as I am weak and starving having not eatin anything waiting for the Thanksgiving meal.)

Trade Johnson to Eagles for TO. We'd have the greatest WR corps of all time.

There is no debate over the draft selections or selction of coaches in the Mac era.

How many times do I have to say this

Well maybe it's not a coincidence that the "Mac era" coincided with the return of George Boone and the Wendall Bryant,BJohnson,Calvin Pace picks.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stronso said:
I will always remember where I was when I heard the Cardinals traded down and passed on Leftwich. For me it is kinda like the Shuttle accident - I will always remember where I was when I heard the news

What a fu#$ up that was

Half page article on Matt Jones in USA Today this morning and his close relationship with Leftwich. Jones just gets better every day and he will be a force by next year. Our DB's will have their hands full with Leftwich and his receivers. Jones lines up as a wide receiver.

iapetus

Reaction score
john h said:
Half page article on Matt Jones in USA Today this morning and his close relationship with Leftwich. Jones just gets better every day and he will be a force by next year. Our DB's will have their hands full with Leftwich and his receivers. Jones lines up as a wide receiver.

Jones still has his problems (routes aren't as clean as they could be, and he seems to have a tendency to go for one-handed catches, though often that's because a defender is surreptitiously hanging on to the other arm), but he's got freakish athleticism to see him through. Picking him in the first round was seen by many as a huge reach - I prefer to see it as a huge gamble, because he has a lot of upside, to go along with the risk that he'll never make a first-class receiver.

As for where he lines up, expect him to line up at QB at least once during the game. It's our traditional trick play where everyone knows what's coming (hint: it's not a pass...). On those plays Leftwich lines up at WR - apparently he has a mean line in trash talk for whichever CB has the job of covering him...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05