Lendale White is a mistake at 10. There I said it!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I just don't see it.

When I hear about Lendale White and what he brings to the table it sounds to me like he the same caliber back as a Jonathan Wells.

Since Jonathan Wells is a Free agent why not just sign him ? He doesn't have the questionable work ethic that White has said to have.

There are far too many other positions to look at. NT, the offensive line, or a FREAKIN Middle Linebacker (Hayes is not going to cut it).

I know many want to see White land here but I think it would be a mistake.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
I just don't see it.

When I hear about Lendale White and what he brings to the table it sounds to me like he the same caliber back as a Jonathan Wells.

Since Jonathan Wells is a Free agent why not just sign him ? He doesn't have the questionable work ethic that White has said to have.

There are far too many other positions to look at. NT, the offensive line, or a FREAKIN Middle Linebacker (Hayes is not going to cut it).

...ALL HAIL LENDALE!!!!:notworthy :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
I just don't see it.

Rugby, even if you think the TD's and yards are the product of a great offensive line....all you have to do is watch the feet.....

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
or a FREAKIN Middle Linebacker (Hayes is not going to cut it).

How would you know, Rugby? The guy hasn't taken a snap at MLB for about a year.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redsz said:
How would you know, Rugby? The guy hasn't taken a snap at MLB for about a year.

I would imagine any MLB "taking a snap" would be seriously offsides. :D

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
C'mon, you can't be serious when you're comparing the potential and talent of White to Wells. The only thing Wells has done is shown that he is a 3rd string back. He's had his chances to seize the job and is just not good enough. Shipp is better than Wells. Just because they are both big backs doesn't mean they are the same caliber of backs. Lendale could be a Rodney Hampton type back. Wells has shown he's a poor man's Mario Bates.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
SoCal Cardfan said:
I would imagine any MLB "taking a snap" would be seriously offsides. :D

:thumbdown

Taking a snap, playing a down, it's all realitive...

spanky1

Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
C'mon, you can't be serious when you're comparing the potential and talent of White to Wells. The only thing Wells has done is shown that he is a 3rd string back. He's had his chances to seize the job and is just not good enough. Shipp is better than Wells. Just because they are both big backs doesn't mean they are the same caliber of backs. Lendale could be a Rodney Hampton type back. Wells has shown he's a poor man's Mario Bates.

Imagine being labeled "a poor man's Mario Bates"........like, who is Mario Bates anyway?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Since Jonathan Wells is a Free agent why not just sign him ?
You realize that you don't "just sign" free agents don't you? There are other teams that will want him as well and we better not overpay for someone with nowhere near the upside as White. It all depends on who we sign as FAs. If we sign Chris Hope or Marlon McCree it's really doubtful that we draft Jimmy Williams.

Last edited:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with having the opinion that L White would be a mistake at #10 because you dont think he is good, or because the Cards would be better off with Edgerrin James, or even Ahman Green--

but to pass because the Cards should sign a second string journeyman Rb who happens to be a big back is a silly

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redsz said:
The guy hasn't taken a snap at MLB for about a year.

Thats exactly why he feels that way. Along with the fact we tried to replece him before he even got a shot at the #1 MLB spot in the first place. And he has never been a starter for more then 1 game. He could be the #1 MLB but there is no denying there are a lot of ???????.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wells had 1 year in college with over 600 yards rushing, and it's not like he was competing for playing time with Reggie Bush(lydell ross and derek combs were the guys). His senior year was huge, nearly 1300 yards 5.2 YPC 16 TD's.

White on the other hand put up 754, 1103 and 1302 rushing his 3 years at USC, led the team twice, split time with Bush and Hershel Dennis as a freshman, Bush the next 2 years. 5.3, 5.4 and 6.6 YPC in his 3 years, 13, 15 and 24 TD's rushing.

There's just no comparison as college players, USC had better overall talent for sure but Wells wasn't close to the player in college White was.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Wells had 1 year in college with over 600 yards rushing, and it's not like he was competing for playing time with Reggie Bush(lydell ross and derek combs were the guys). His senior year was huge, nearly 1300 yards 5.2 YPC 16 TD's.

White on the other hand put up 754, 1103 and 1302 rushing his 3 years at USC, led the team twice, split time with Bush and Hershel Dennis as a freshman, Bush the next 2 years. 5.3, 5.4 and 6.6 YPC in his 3 years, 13, 15 and 24 TD's rushing.

There's just no comparison as college players, USC had better overall talent for sure but Wells wasn't close to the player in college White was.

Wells would only be a situational short yardage RB and would cost hundred's of thousands of dollars less than White who at #10 would have to be considered for far more carries per game. There is no reason to consider their overall talent at all. If competition for Wells runs his cost up too high then the Cards should look for "thunder" somewhere else.

If Arrington is still to be considered the #1 back and Wells can come in for a reasonable price and get the tough yards the Cards couldn't last season he would be the better deal.

If the team is looking for someone to share carries with Arrington like Shipp did last season or to replace Arrington then White is the better selection.

Or to keep Shane happy the Cards could sign Wells and draft D'Angelo Williams to replace Arrington.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we draft White he's the starter, period. Arrington would get carries, but he's not going to split carries.

If we signed Wells he'd be as you said a short yardage guy primarily, they're just not even remotely comparable as RB's. To say White is the same caliber of back as Wells is just not close to true IMHO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This year, #10 is kind of in the "gray zone" (i.e. on the edge of where there's a drop-off from the elite prospects).

Unless one of those elite guys (like Young, Hawk or Williams) were to drop to us at #10, we'd be faced with having to choose between guys like Greenwood, Huff, a "surprise" from next-echelon of prospects (like the junior TE dude, McNeill, Justice, Winston, Watson, Wroten, Bunkley etc.), De Angelo Williams -

Or White.

If he's one of the guys we're considering at #10 - whether he's the guy we should or shouldn't draft must depend on what our scouts see (or don't see) in him. On paper - i.e. size, speed, college track record etc. - he looks like he'd have a 60% chance of becoming an effective starting RB if we drafted him. (But that 40% downside is not to be sneezed at).

But I wouldn't pronounce him a slam dunk "huge mistake" either. It all comes down to (a) how good? (b) how risky? (c) what are our other options? That's for the scouts to determine and how the top 9 picks play out.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
en fuego said:
I dont have a problem with having the opinion that L White would be a mistake at #10 because you dont think he is good, or because the Cards would be better off with Edgerrin James, or even Ahman Green--

but to pass because the Cards should sign a second string journeyman Rb who happens to be a big back is a silly

Ahman Green?? I'm not even tryin to hear his name mentioned. Unless we can get him on the cheap, which is highly unlikely, he's just too much damaged goods for my tastes.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
phillycard said:
Ahman Green?? I'm not even tryin to hear his name mentioned. Unless we can get him on the cheap, which is highly unlikely, he's just too much damaged goods for my tastes.

My thoughts too. Signing Green would be a mistake unless its at the vet minimum.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
en fuego said:

I have no problem with the Cards signing an Edgerrin James or someone as good but if we do not I am sure on board for signing White. He sure looks like the real deal to me.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
I just don't see it.

I usually don't rip posts, but this is just ridiculous. Saying we don't need a runningback because it is not a position of need is just crazy. We finished with the 3rd worst rushing attack in NFL history. We played games with 4 of the same 5 offensive lineman we had on the field in 2004 and a 36 year old Emmitt Smith ran for close to a 1000 yards (Big, Wells, Stepanovich, Bridges). Those same 4 offensive linemen blocked for Shipp and Arrington and their combined total barely equaled 800 yards. This is just plain fact. Our runningbacks are below par. End of story. Jonathon Wells was a 3rd string back on the worst team in the NFL but he is suddently the answer to our problems. Oh now I remember why so many are high on Wells, he tore up the Cards last season. Who cares what Jonathon Wells did the last 5 games of 2005 when the games meant absolutely nothing. Its what happens to us Cards fans. We watch meaningless games the last half of the season, see guys do well in these worthless games and annoint them the answer. What did Jonathon Wells ever do in a meaningful game? Answer-nothing.

If we go with JJ Arrington and Jonathon Wells as our dynamic one-two punch we will be talking about our new head coach this time next year. To compare LenDale White to Jonathon Wells is just plain wrong. Sorry to vent.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Holian said:
I usually don't rip posts, but this is just ridiculous. Saying we don't need a runningback because it is not a position of need is just crazy. We finished with the 3rd worst rushing attack in NFL history. We played games with 4 of the same 5 offensive lineman we had on the field in 2004 and a 36 year old Emmitt Smith ran for close to a 1000 yards (Big, Wells, Stepanovich, Bridges). Those same 4 offensive linemen blocked for Shipp and Arrington and their combined total barely equaled 800 yards.

I agree with the premiss of we do need to upgrade at RB. But, the same OL that Emmitt had was not the same line that was blocking for our RB's this year. We had something like 12 different OL lineups this year becuase of injuries, including a 5th string center, a DE converted to OT then coverted to OG, and many other different things becuase of injury. Wells, Bridges, and Step didnt even play for half of the year.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Except for Big at LT, it wasn't even close to the O line Emmitt had in 04. It was much worse than 04. They need to make sure they change out pieces and move forward this year, not back.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Except for Big at LT, it wasn't even close to the O line Emmitt had in 04. It was much worse than 04. They need to make sure they change out pieces and move forward this year, not back.

OK who do you change out?

LT - Davis
LG-Wells,Bridges,Haayer,
C -Step and Leckey
RG-Elton Brown
RT-Ross

It looks to me like the only piece that is going to change is left guard. Davis isn't going anywhere. And Step,Leckey,Ross and Brown have 2,2,1 and 1 year respectively on the line so I don't see them going anywhere either. I see the Cards getting a solid but not spectacular FA to fill in the hole at LG and maybe drafting another lineman in later rounds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser