Let the fun begin: 9ers Smith to seek release

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I'll be first to say it. I think Alex Smith is being a major doofus on this. I thought he basically handled it ok being benched, but now this is twice in a week he's done this. first he said he was very disappointed in the handling of it and that it was bittersweet making the Super Bowl as a backup. now saying he's asking for his release.

He can't wait until after the game? I get there's tons of press around and they ask questions but play the damn game first. who knows, what if Kaepernick gets hurt and you have to go into the game, don't you want your teammates and coaches to have your back and not be mad that you popped off?

I get it's a business but it's not like teams that might want him didn't already assume he'd be available somehow.

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As much trash as I've talked about Smith, it's only fitting that he comes here and I root for him.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alex Smith will be a bust at his next city, guaranteed.

Unless his next team has an incredible O-line, an awesome running game, a stacked defense, good receivers, Harbaugh, and doesn't plan on throwing the ball much (which is how Alex Smith won them there games ladies and gentlemen). Now with the benching, all that coaching confidence Hardaugh instilled in him is going to be gonzo. Alex was successful because they didn't put the game in his hands, again we are talking about other's scraps here. Yeah it does happen, QBs leave and become better in other places, Alex Smith is not one of them. We have waaaaaaaaay too many holes to be successful with his game.

Yuck.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, count me out. He's a mediocre QB, and I don't see him being anywhere near an upgrade to Kolb. He's just not that talented. Draft a guy, or look elsewhere.

The thing I always liked about Smith was that he was good enough to tease the 49ers into starting him again and again, but bad enough to never actually take them somewhere. He'll flounder elsewhere like he has the rest of his career.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Unless his next team has an incredible O-line, an awesome running game, a stacked defense, good receivers, Harbaugh, and doesn't plan on throwing the ball much (which is how Alex Smith won them there games ladies and gentlemen). Now with the benching, all that coaching confidence Hardaugh instilled in him is going to be gonzo. Alex was successful because they didn't put the game in his hands, again we are talking about other's scraps here. Yeah it does happen, QBs leave and become better in other places, Alex Smith is not one of them. We have waaaaaaaaay too many holes to be successful with his game.

Yuck.

I actually could not possibly agree more. Well said.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a fan of Smith, but I would take him in a heartbeat over Kolb, but hope the Cardinals don't. As I said in another post I believe Alex Smith is fool's gold and would NOT sign him.

That being said, Kolb is a steaming pile and do NOT want to see him take another snap here in the desert. Epic fail not worth any more time, energy and money invested in him.

Move on to the next group of QB's. New coaches, new offense, why not start from scratch?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after years of watching our D mock him openly and hope that he would continue to be the SF QB I have no reason to want him here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Yuck.

Alex Smith will go to a team that has a long history of mismanaging quarterbacks, which makes him a candidate to come to AZ. :bang:

Praying Jacksonville takes the bait.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't blame Alex for taking that position, but - coming the week before the SB - it would be fair to say that his timing sucks.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The 49ers are going to try to trade him----and there are reports/rumors that the 49ers will ask Smith out of courtesy to provide them with a list of teams he would want to be traded to.

If they don't get any offers---then they will release him.

But, because his contract is so reasonable for a starting QB---teams will be interested in making a trade, depending on the 49ers' price tag.

My guess?

To Cleveland for their #68 (3rd Rd.) pick---which is one pick ahead of the Cardinals at #69.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh: Alex Smith coaches Colin Kaepernick more than I do

In fact, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said today that Smith is the person who has done more than anyone to prepare Kaepernick to play, and that Smith still continues to practice every week as if he were going to play, even though his only playing time since losing his job to Kaepernick two months ago was a few garbage time snaps in Week 17.

“He’s prepared and been involved in the game planning, in preparations, he’s prepared himself as the starter each week,” Harbaugh said of Smith. “That’s what he’s done, that’s what we expect of him and that’s what he has delivered. Another person really to credit in Colin’s success because Alex has really helped coach Colin and has been right there by his side.

Sitting there in meetings every single day. He coaches Colin now more than I do, and that speaks high of the kind of person and teammate that Alex Smith is.”

old card fan

Registered
Reaction score
Alex Smith

Alex Smith is wanting to leave for free agency. Whats the thoughts? Sorry, I did not see the post below before typing this.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Smith is just one of those QBs who will probably never be "the man". No matter where he goes, that team is going to try and draft his replacement in the next draft.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I seriously hope that is the exact conversation which takes place in our front office when Alex Smith is brought up :)

me too....

How the mighty have fallen, that Cards fans are goo-goo eyed over a QB on the SF trash heap.

Grab a Franchise QB and let Arians coach him up...Thats what he is good at! Play to your strengths.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
me too....

How the mighty have fallen, that Cards fans are goo-goo eyed over a QB on the SF trash heap.

Grab a Franchise QB and let Arians coach him up...Thats what he is good at! Play to your strengths.

Sadly, there don't appear to be any franchise QBs for Arians to coach up this year.

Of course everything hinges on Arians and Goodwin and Moore fixing this:

2012-58 sacks 8.7%
2011-54 sacks 8.9%
2010-50 sacks 8.2%

plus this:

Rushing attempts. Last, Last,Last,....Almost Last...

I think a team can live with one but not both.

Funny though that a guy with a 61% completion rate and 17TDs to 5 interceptions and started all 16 games in a year his team was 13-3 is considered a poor QB. But then we know the real story with Smith.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Sadly, there don't appear to be any franchise QBs for Arians to coach up this year.

Of course everything hinges on Arians and Goodwin and Moore fixing this:

2012-58 sacks 8.7%
2011-54 sacks 8.9%
2010-50 sacks 8.2%

plus this:

Rushing attempts. Last, Last,Last,....Almost Last...

I think a team can live with one but not both.

Funny though that a guy with a 61% completion rate and 17TDs to 5 interceptions and started all 16 games in a year his team was 13-3 is considered a poor QB. But then we know the real story with Smith.

Cardinal running backs haven't set the world on fire, but the offensive line has been bad at BOTH run blocking and pass protection. It sounds like Bruce Arians is well aware of the problem and will be addressing it. I just hope he and Steve Keim aren't delusional enough to think all it takes is more and better coaching. A talent infusion is also most definitely in order.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
me too....

And who's that franchise guy? I for one don't trust any QB in this draft to come in and be a day 1 starter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser