Lienart may start

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Edge, Boldin, Fitz, Wilson, even Rolle although he should shut up he's not good enough to be in that club, all those guys know one of their kind when they see it, I think they see it in Matt and so would happily let him lead the team and give him some growing pain slack in the meantime, Warner, he gets no slack and shouldn't.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Warner has lost the team then Green has an easy decision; you gotta go with Leinart. One thing's for certain, Kurt's career in a Cardinal uniform after 2006 is over and I'm guessing he probbaly is out of chances around the league. He's a whiny malcontent when not starting and no team is ever going to allow him to start anymore. His fumbling is far too much of a liability in a league with this much parity.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atlanta's defense is only allowing 4.5 points per game over the last two weeks. That's #2 overall in the league. Why throw your rookie star out there against such a good defense playing in thier home stadium unless you want him to fail.

Wait a week and start him at home so there is some excitement going into the KC game. Then hopefully you go into the Monday night game at home with some excitement about Leinart and the turned around Cardinals offense. Couldn't be any more perfect considering the disappointing losses we have suffered through these last couple of weeks.

OP
OP
seesred

seesred

Reaction score
As for starting him on the road or at home, IMO it does'n matter. Matt has been in front of big crowds away many times. He lost only two games as a starter in a major NFL type program. He proved himself in pre season. The QB has been the missing link in the Seattle loss and this weeks loss against a team that we should have had 9-21 more points scored.

And here is what I think is the biggest point for starting him, the team as a whole must be drained and very down at this point. Especially the stars like Q and Edge, they want to win period. Bringing in the kid now will give them hope.

GBR

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
Atlanta's defense is only allowing 4.5 points per game over the last two weeks. That's #2 overall in the league. Why throw your rookie star out there against such a good defense playing in thier home stadium unless you want him to fail.

Wait a week and start him at home so there is some excitement going into the KC game. Then hopefully you go into the Monday night game at home with some excitement about Leinart and the turned around Cardinals offense. Couldn't be any more perfect considering the disappointing losses we have suffered through these last couple of weeks.

I thought about that also, but I don't think you let that change a decision to start Matt. He's a big boy and has played in some big games in his life. If he does play against Altanta and plays even remotely well, win or lose, the atmosphere at his first home game start would be out of this world and he will have 1 game under his belt. Let the kid play if that is what the team decides.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Matt looked cool, calm and collected in preseason. Kurt hasn't looked like that in years. Look at Matt running two-minute drills in preseason vs Kurt over his entire career. It really is like night and day. I like Kurt as a person as I am sure everyone else does but I think we are only stunting our growth as a team the longer we keep Warner in there. Clearly the team feels that Matt is not only the better QB, but the future as well. Players need hope and confidence to succeed. Kurt clearly inspires neither when it comes to his teammates. It may be early, but let the Leinart era begin.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least give the fans some glimmer of hope. This team wasn't going to win anything of significance this season.. even if they somehow made it to the playoffs. It is time to play the fut... hell the PRESENT! Time to get the guy up to speed in a hurry. Kurt has shown that once he is in a funk he usually remains there for a few games... games that we cannot afford to lose.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
One thing's for certain, Kurt's career in a Cardinal uniform after 2006 is over and I'm guessing he probbaly is out of chances around the league.

Warner is at the stage of his career where he would be a fantastic option as a backup QB for a year ot two. Hopefully here.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reflection, I am changing my stance on this one a bit. I think that if there is ANY feeling by the staff that Lienart might be starting in the next couple of weeks, then they should just do it RIGHT NOW. Give Matt more time with first team. Let him get the team rallied around him. Let him get his feet wet and start the upward momentum we will need to climb back into the season. If the feeling in the locker room is the same feeling on this board then Kurt is a lame duck QB and nobody is motivated by that.

Matt Leinart is a damn good leader, and I think the team would rally quite a bit around him given that the previous leader just lost a game for them damn near by himself (and by damn near I mean completely and absolutely).

So, I think I am right now, as of this moment fully on the start Matt in Atlanta bandwagon (instead of the start him at home against KC wagon if/when Kurt fails).

The more I think about it...the better it is just to cut bait on Kurt and put in Matt immediately. The pros outweigh the cons, and by a large margin.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Warner is at the stage of his career where he would be a fantastic option as a backup QB for a year ot two. Hopefully here.
A backup QB should be a caretaker who accepts his role and can mentor the stater. That's a position Warner never accepted in both NY and St. Louis, so I have a hard time seeing him do it now. For whatever reason, KW is quite delusional when measuring up his own abilities as a QB.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

I agree with this - up his reps this week and then start him vs KC

travelling across country to play that defense is tough for anyone - let alone a rookie

and I don't want to hear about college - this isn't college - the level of speed & stage is larger than anything he has experienced - everyone in the league was a college star and everyone is playing for their careers and season every week

jim mora jr has some incredibly difficult schemes to register - they are very confusing for even veteran QBs - let the kid face a more conventional cover 2 against a less talented cheifs team at home

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
A backup QB should be a caretaker who accepts his role and can mentor the stater. That's a position Warner never accepted in both NY and St. Louis, so I have a hard time seeing him do it now. For whatever reason, KW is quite delusional when measuring up his own abilities as a QB.

It's something Warner will have to come to terms with, and something he will eventually accept in order to get another paycheck next year.

You know, at times Warner still looks good. But he is freakin Jeckyl and Hyde out there.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, KW is quite delusional when measuring up his own abilities as a QB.
He was the same way about bagging groceries. When the special-needs kid came in and wanted to learn how to bag the greeting cards or chicken in a separate plastic bag (even when the customer has already asked for paper...in the business it's called audiblizing) he flipped out. That's when he decided to become an NFL quarterback.

Sad thing is that kid bounced around to a couple of different grocery stores and was never anything more than a journeyman bagger. Maybe if Kurt had taken him under his wing he might have made something of himself. He had all the tools--a goofy smile, a weird stare, good at small talk about the stuff his customers were buying--but he never really learned how to audible out of paper. Sad.

But, that's between Kurt and his God, I guess.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
He was the same way about bagging groceries. When the special-needs kid came in and wanted to learn how to bag the greeting cards or chicken in a separate plastic bag (even when the customer has already asked for paper...in the business it's called audiblizing) he flipped out. That's when he decided to become an NFL quarterback.

Sad thing is that kid bounced around to a couple of different grocery stores and was never anything more than a journeyman bagger. Maybe if Kurt had taken him under his wing he might have made something of himself. He had all the tools--a goofy smile, a weird stare, good at small talk about the stuff his customers were buying--but he never really learned how to audible out of paper. Sad.

But, that's between Kurt and his God, I guess.

:biglaugh:

pm me your address and i'll send you $5 for that post. gold.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are we fearing the Falcons defense more than we should? They have beat Carolina w/o Steve Smith and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Maybe we will learn a little more after the Saints game this evening.

I am ready to get on with the future and start Leinart. I think the team needs something to rally around and I think the insertion of Leinart may just be the proper antidote for what currently ails the Cardinals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to believe just two weeks ago Warner was the NFC player of the week.

no it isn't - wasn't Josh player of the week last year against some woeful team... oh yeah, it was the same team - the Niners. They're awful defensively - period.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Usually when Kurt really F's up a season for a team, Brenda will rear her ugly head. Be warned!!!!!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Kurt, your jersey will be going to the back of the closet right next to my Jake Plummer jersey. Glad I bought a Matt Leinart jersey this summer during the 40% Reebok sale. I was hoping Leinart could observe from the sidelines this season but Kurt's turnovers have ruined that scenario.
Please don't wear Leinarts Jersey; it could very well be your fault our QB's struggle. :D

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Please don't wear Leinarts Jersey; it could very well be your fault our QB's struggle. :D

You may be on to something there. I thought the Cardinals lost all the time because I taped the games. I promise if Leinart starts next week I won't wear the jersey, but I will still have to tape the historic event of a future Hall of Famer's first NFL regular season game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to Coughlin and Eli and other Giants, Kurt dealt with his demotion quite well and was a good teammate. I'm not concerned about him being a backup.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
According to Coughlin and Eli and other Giants, Kurt dealt with his demotion quite well and was a good teammate. I'm not concerned about him being a backup.
I'm pretty sure he asked for a release claiming he "wasn't a backup" and then signed with us when Denny all but guaranteed him a starting job. We can certainly demote him and assuredly will at some point if he stays through his contract, but I can see him pulling a similar stunt then albeit with fewer suitors.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he asked for a release claiming he "wasn't a backup" and then signed with us when Denny all but guaranteed him a starting job. We can certainly demote him and assuredly will at some point if he stays through his contract, but I can see him pulling a similar stunt then albeit with fewer suitors.

That was after the season was over. Yes, he could ask for a release after the season was over. I wouldn't have a problem with that.