Look at Lenny spinning this back to attempt to be negative:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Johnson's deal could be worth $12 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Backed into a negotiating corner by the Arizona Cardinals, former Penn State wide receiver Bryant Johnson nonetheless landed with both feet in bounds Tuesday night.

ESPN.com has learned that Johnson, the 17th player chosen overall, has reached contract agreement with the Cardinals on a five-year deal worth in excess of $8 million in "base" value, and which could net him as much as $12 million, if escalators are triggered.

The agreement, negotiated by agent Joel Segal and Cardinals vice present Rod Graves, came two days after Arizona officials staged a curious and confusing end-around on Johnson, who had been chosen one spot higher than defensive end Calvin Pace, the second of the club's two picks in the first round.

Up until Sunday, the Cardinals were on similar negotiating paths with both of their first-round choices, offering each of them guaranteed money of about $4.4 million. In fact, the offers at that point were only about $25,000 apart in terms of 2003 cap values. But the Cards' emphasis then shifted to Pace, after team officials reportedly assessed that getting him into camp was more critical.

The Cardinals dramatically raised their offer to Pace, moving about $700,000 his way, and essentially taking money off the table from proposals made to Johnson earlier. And on Monday afternoon, Pace agreed to a five-year contract worth slightly more than $8 million and with $5.1 million in guarantees between the initial signing bonus and also an option bonus.

The deal with Pace, though, left Arizona with only about $975,000 remaining in rookie pool room, seemingly not enough to permit a market value deal for Johnson.

By comparison, the rookie pool value for Pace was $1.25 million.

That's why Segal and Graves had to dig deep into their respective bags of negotiating tricks to come up with some creative mechanisms that salvaged what could have become a nasty situation, and a possible grievance action by Johnson and his representatives.

The two sides eventually settled on an incentive bonus, an easily achievable benchmark that Johnson need only meet one time to earn additional funds, and a tactic used by the Cardinals in negotiations with first-round pick Leonard Davis in 2001. The combination of the various bonuses involved is slightly in excess of $5.3 million, in line with Johnson's "slot" in the first round. Compared to last year's No. 17 slot in the draft, the unusual contract represents a sizeable increase.

To his credit, Johnson was willing late Tuesday night to put the situation behind him, although he remains confounded by the Cardinals' negotiating tack.

"At this point, I can't be concerned about whatever football decisions they made over the weekend," Johnson said. "Even after it happened, I was confident we would somehow get a market value deal, and I trusted (Segal) would come up with a formula for doing that. So now, I just forget about the way this all came down and get ready to play football and to have a great rookie year."

Johnson, 22, had 110 catches for 2,008 yards and 10 touchdowns at Penn State, where he was a two-year starter and appeared in 46 games in four seasons. In addition, Johnson had 41 punt returns for a 12.9-yard average and one touchdown."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/misc/1587198.html

Is he trying to cover his ass or what?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
has Pasq always been like that? I remember reading good things from him about the cards the last few years.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really don't understand. It was Joel Segal that made the threats and the Cardinals called his bluff and stepped up to the plate when they were being uncooperative. Sucky spin doctor put on this story.

OP
OP
KingofCards

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How do I email this dude. I wanna plaster him with emails.

AndyO

Veteran
Reaction score
IT comes down to , damned if you do, damned if you don't. We let this drag on into a long holdout and we're the bumbling Cards, always trip and falling face first in the mud. We sign the two picks in reasonable time, and save a possibly contentious situation, and still we are "curious and confusing" and "confounding" the player (Johnson). Sometimes you just can't win. If it was anyone else, they'd be hailed for their negotiating savvy. Since it's the Cards, it's confusing.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Hey Pas, we got the deals done. Leave it!!!

Yeah baaaaaaaaby! Penn State is NOW IN THE HOUSE!!!

There goes the neighborhood:D

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
Hey Pas, we got the deals done. Leave it!!!

Yeah baaaaaaaaby! Penn State is NOW IN THE HOUSE!!!
Stout you eat crow very curiously, you must feel backed into a corner, confounded in someway...:D ....just take it like a man....this is a good day. I'ts all good brother...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
There goes the neighborhood:D

Lenny - shove my fist up your ass! Jesus, am I now bashing the media - Who the hell am I? Graves has made my see some of the light! BRING ON THE LIONS!

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Lenny - shove my fist up your ass! Jesus, am I now bashing the media - Who the hell am I? Graves has made my see some of the light! BRING ON THE LIONS!

WTF? Am I reading this right? Cheesbeef is slowly melting into the neutral-side!

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
WTF? Am I reading this right? Cheesbeef is slowly melting into the neutral-side!

It is amazing what signing first rd. draft picks will do to a person :thumbup:

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Actually, Cheesebeef, your unique way of expressing yourself inspired me to write a rather biting paragraph myself.

I sent it to ESPN, together with the suggestion that if Len wanted the Cardinal moves to be a little less 'inexplicable', he might try actually asking the Cards organization sometime.

They explained everything perfectly to us, which allowed all the fans to laugh at Mr. P's rediculous articles.

I could only send it to a general email. We'll see if there's ever a response.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brighteyes
Actually, Cheesebeef, your unique way of expressing yourself inspired me to write a rather biting paragraph myself.

I sent it to ESPN, together with the suggestion that if Len wanted the Cardinal moves to be a little less 'inexplicable', he might try actually asking the Cards organization sometime.

They explained everything perfectly to us, which allowed all the fans to laugh at Mr. P's rediculous articles.

I could only send it to a general email. We'll see if there's ever a response.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KingofCards
[B
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/misc/1587198.html

Is he trying to cover his ass or what? [/B]

I've yet to see anybody but Pasquarelli actually say Johnson was looking at filing a grievance. Even his quotes from johnson don't imply that he said he was confident the deal would get done somehow.

Same guy that criticized Plummer, and called Boston a risk, and then ripped us for letting both guys leave. Consistently inconsistent I guess.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't see!

I can't really see where he is trying to be negative. But then again I could only skim through it. His articles read like manuals. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

Who cares he is from ESPN? THere hasn't been a ESPN at the Cardinals camp, or facilities to do a report since 19 ought 6!

ESPN sucks anyway!

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Personally I hope they keep bashing us, that will make it all that much more sweet when they have to slot us a Monday night game next year because of our record this year and the fact that we're an up and comer. I FRIGGIN LOVE WATCHING PEOPLE EAT CROW, DON'T YOU CHEESE!??!?!?!?!?!:D

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
There are few things in this world more irritating than someone who can't admit they were wrong. That's why you gotta admire a guy like cheese.

Hey, Len! Suck it up, admit you blew it and move on, you slob!

(Bitter? Oh, a tad.) :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Recipe for "Crow a la Pasquarelli":

- One part BS

- Tablespoon Arrogance

- Cup of Lopsided Journalism

- Dash of Overreaction

- Pint of Anti-Cardinal Bias

- Drizzle Mixture over Poached Dead Crow!

Minix

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Recipe for "Crow a la Pasquarelli":

Originally posted by JeffGollin

- One part BS

- Tablespoon Arrogance

- Cup of Lopsided Journalism

- Dash of Overreaction

- Pint of Anti-Cardinal Bias

- Drizzle Mixture over Poached Dead Crow!

Len Pastabelly

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
don't mean to be contentious, but maybe it's just part of my nature (insert gratuitous attorney jokes here). i don't think this article is bad, or negative, or ass-covering. i think it's just reporting.

way to go RG!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Am I missing something here?

I dont see this article as being negative or bad towards the Cards. In fact almost complimentary in his way of talking about the contract.

We dont know what happened, but I have a feeling that he wouldnt just blurt out that Segal was thinking of filing a grievance. I bet in his haste Segal probably called/talked to/ whatever with Len P and mentioned the grievance to get it out there in the media.

Maybe I am wrong , but I am sure Segal tried to put this out to the media

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
I dont see this article as being negative or bad towards the Cards. In fact almost complimentary in his way of talking about the contract.

Maybe it is the trash he put in the first story coupled with this story.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05