Lookin for a little of this Sunday!!!!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice find O! Can't wait to see a large dose of Beanie! I predict a big day for him 100yds if they give him the ball 14 times!

Air Canada

Reaction score
Nice find O! Can't wait to see a large dose of Beanie! I predict a big day for him 100yds if they give him the ball 14 times!

Well, then be prepared to be dissappointed! Underestimate this team...u'll learn!:p

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your a tool so now your pathetic run defense is going to shut someone down??? oooohhh! Beat it troll!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, then be prepared to be dissappointed! Underestimate this team...u'll learn!:p

Perhaps you shouldn't underestimate the Cardinals.

Disappointment is something you should learn to embrace especially come Sunday.

Air Canada

Reaction score
Your a tool so now your pathetic run defense is going to shut someone down??? oooohhh! Beat it troll!

No, I'm just messin with u, but I don't think that's happening(14 carries for 100 yds.) You do know ur running game right? This rush D isn't as bad as u think...just wait..;)

Perhaps you shouldn't underestimate the Cardinals.

Disappointment is something you should learn to embrace especially come Sunday.

Oh, I'm not and this team knows what offense their facing, I'm just saying this is going to be a tough game and don't expect a cake walk.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'm just messin with u, but I don't think that's happening(14 carries for 100 yds.) You do know ur running game right? This rush D isn't as bad as u think...just wait..;)

Yes, we do know our running game. We know that a back with vision that hits the hole quickly (like Beanie) can do well. Hell, a back with vision that can't hit the hole quickly and knows it (like Edge) can run well.

Hightower is a short yardage, goalline type back. Beanie is a starting caliber back. If Beanie gets 14 touches, you can talk about how bad your rush D is while you cry in your beer. I don't think he'll get 100 off 14 carries, more like 80. But if the run game gets going, he might get 20 carries.

Unleash the Bean.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not and this team knows what offense their facing, I'm just saying this is going to be a tough game and don't expect a cake walk.

Every game is a tough game, Yet, you come in here and think you know our team and you, and the folks at Texanxtalk, don't. You have no idea what you're in for Sunday.

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice job O. I had forgotten about that great block by Fitz in the SB.

b0ng

Reaction score
Every game is a tough game, Yet, you come in here and think you know our team and you, and the folks at Texanxtalk, don't. You have no idea what you're in for Sunday.

I may not know every in and out with the Cardinals but I'm always down for knowledge. I'll break down what I know about the Cards and you can correct me where applicable.

The Cardinals feature a high flying offense lead by Kurt Warner and his band of awesome receivers. Q, Fitz and Urban all had 1000 yard seasons last year and it was due in part to how accurate Warner can be with his passes. TE's do more blocking in your scheme to help out the O-line who is still getting their tackles up to speed. The interior of the O-line is good but nothing special really. The Cardinals use the run game to keep the defenses from pinning their ears back and going after Grey Beard more than to actually do damage. Hightower is just as much of a threat catching the ball as he is going in the endzone from 3 yards out. Beanie Wells looks to be the part but for whatever reason, the team hasn't used him as much as they probably should've. All in all if you make Warner eat dirt or at least hear footsteps his play will falter.

On defense the Cardinals have experienced a change as Clancy Pendergast was let go, Antonio Smith signed with the Texans. The Cardinals have appeared to shift fully to the 3-4 scheme and don't really feature much in the front 7 outside of Dansby and Dockett (What happened to Bertrand Berry? It looks like he's 2nd string OLB now?). The secondary features a great safety in Wilson and a recently transitioned Rolle into the FS spot. Bryant McFadden is a new addition from the Steelers and he is good, not great. DRC is a very raw yet very talented corner who definitely needs to work on his technique to really elevate his game. All in all it's an inconsistent defense that seems to give up the pass much more than it gives up the run, although stats can be quite misleading here as it's so soon into the season.

All in all we've got a high flying passing game, question marks around the run game and a defense that can keep it close but not win it outright by itself.

There are some minor differences in the two teams playing this Sunday but you can easily point to things that are similar rather than things that are not.

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can I ask why as a whole, we seem to be such ******** to opposing fans this year? I haven't heard one trollish comment yet from any of these Texans fans, yet regular ASFNers are being ***** anyhow. Is it really that serious guys?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll only call out your incorrect observations

TE's do more blocking in your scheme to help out the O-line who is still getting their tackles up to speed.

No way, and most of us are upset that we DON'T help our tackles with the TEs. We leave our tackles on an island, even if they are up against Freeney. Maddening.

The Cardinals use the run game to keep the defenses from pinning their ears back and going after Grey Beard more than to actually do damage.

In theory, but Hightower isn't as much of a running threat to actually do that. He's very good in short yardage and catching the ball. Beanie is a better runner between the tackles, and the team will gradually move that direction. Whis seems to bring young, talented players along slowly until he knows he can trust them. When Beanie is in the backfield, your quote above is more accurate.

don't really feature much in the front 7 outside of Dansby and Dockett

Calais Campbell is solid, huge and gets penetration and has long arms at 6'8" height to disrupt passing lanes. I'd add him in the Dansby/Dockett standouts mix, even though he's only in his second year. We have a lot of D-Line depth, too, with Watson (a brickhouse of a man) and Branch (playing better this year)

Nice post though...

b0ng

Reaction score
No way, and most of us are upset that we DON'T help our tackles with the TEs. We leave our tackles on an island, even if they are up against Freeney. Maddening.

What on earth are you using your TE's for then because it sure doesn't look like they catch passes?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cardinals feature a high flying offense lead by Kurt Warner and his band of awesome receivers. Q, Fitz and Urban all had 1000 yard seasons last year

No it was Q, Fitz and Steve Breaston, Urban is the fourth reciever and should not be ignored.

TE's do more blocking in your scheme to help out the O-line who is still getting their tackles up to speed. The interior of the O-line is good but nothing special really.

This O-line has been together going on three years now. Inconsistent at times but can be very solid.
Just when you forget about them they will come back to bite you in the passing game, evidence the Eagles game for the NFC championship.

The Cardinals use the run game to keep the defenses from pinning their ears back and going after Grey Beard more than to actually do damage.

Hightower averages 3.4 ypc, Wells averages 4.4 ypc. The Cards run game can and will do damage, see what an aging Edge did last year.

Hightower is just as much of a threat catching the ball as he is going in the endzone from 3 yards out. Beanie Wells looks to be the part but for whatever reason, the team hasn't used him as much as they probably should've

Right now Hightower actually leads the team in receptions, expect that to change.
Whiz is always conservative bring rookies in to the mix, see DRC last year. Wells was off to a slow start due to Ohio State's graduation rules and an early injury in training camp. I fully expect his coming out party this Sunday.

All in all if you make Warner eat dirt or at least hear footsteps his play will falter.

Warner is one of the all time best at reading blitzes, he thrives on it. He wants you to blitz. You blitz all day and he will eat you up. You are better served to use stunts etc and try to get to him with your front four.
Which Warner shows up? The bad Warner evidence our first game against SF, still keeps you in the game. The good Warner, evidence the Jax game, his jersey goes to the hall of fame. The average Warner, you're still in trouble.

On defense the Cardinals have experienced a change as Clancy Pendergast was let go, Antonio Smith signed with the Texans.

Nobody here is really upset that Clancy is gone. He was forced upon the Whiz regime.
As much as I like Antonio, and I do, Calias Campbell is an upgrade with much more potential. I fully expect Calias and Dockett to have huge games this Sunday.

The Cardinals have appeared to shift fully to the 3-4 scheme and don't really feature much in the front 7 outside of Dansby and Dockett (What happened to Bertrand Berry? It looks like he's 2nd string OLB now?).

Berry actually leads the team in sacks. Our interior D line is very solid, Dockett, Campbell, with a rotation of Robinson, Watson and Branch. Dockett and Campbell both demand double teams.
Inside linsbackers, Hayes and Dansby are beasts, Hayes leads the team in tackles. OLB's are aging but not to overlooked.

The secondary features a great safety in Wilson and a recently transitioned Rolle into the FS spot. Bryant McFadden is a new addition from the Steelers and he is good, not great. DRC is a very raw yet very talented corner who definitely needs to work on his technique to really elevate his game. All in all it's an inconsistent defense that seems to give up the pass much more than it gives up the run

Our secondary has played very undisciplined football at times this year and that is a worry. If they play disciplined they can be good. You will have to beat us through the air, period. You will not run on us.

It comes down to turn overs, whoever wins that battle wins the game.
Than again what else is new. :)

Last edited:

b0ng

Reaction score
This O-line has been together going on three years now. Inconsistent at times but can be very solid.
Just when you forget about them they will come back to bite you in the passing game, evidence the Eagles game for the NFC championship.

If they are inconsistent, but can be solid, doens't that make them pretty average? That's pretty much the same as the Texans offensive line (see Tennessee this year or the Jets this year for your compare contrast needs).

Hightower averages 3.4 ypc, Wells averages 4.4 ypc. The Cards run game can and will do damage, see what an aging Edge did last year.

Is Edge on the team this year? As far as I've seen the Cardinals have done practically 0 damage this year with the running game (As evidenced by the paltry 60 yds/g) Why is this number so low this year? Is it blocking or what?

Warner is one of the all time best at reading blitzes, he thrives on it. He wants you to blitz. You blitz all day and he will eat you up. You are better served to use stunts etc and try to get to him with your front four.
Which Warner shows up? The bad Warner evidence our first game against SF, still keeps you in the game. The good Warner, evidence the Jax game, his jersey goes to the hall of fame. The average Warner, you're still in trouble.

Which Warner was at the Colts game 2 weeks ago? The Texans defense has yet to really put jailbreaks into the game and have been applying most of their (non)pressure with 4 or 5 players rushing the passer. How is the interior of your line at pass blocking?

Nobody here is really upset that Clancy is gone. He was forced upon the Whiz regime.
As much as I like Antonio, and I do, Calias Campbell is an upgrade with much more potential. I fully expect Calias and Dockett to have huge games this Sunday.

Why do you expect these two to have big games on Sunday as opposed to other Sundays this year? I see Dockett has an ankle injury according to reports is this not going to affect him any?

Berry actually leads the team in sacks. Our interior D line is very solid, Dockett, Campbell, with a rotation of Robinson, Watson and Branch. Dockett and Campbell both demand double teams.
Inside linsbackers, Hayes and Dansby are beasts, Hayes leads the team in tackles. OLB's are aging but not to overlooked.

In the 3-4 the NT is easily the most important position of them all on the line yet you say there is a rotation of 2 players, (or is it 3? Does Branch play NT? I know he was a DT in college but that could be an end in the 3-4 depending on skillset) why is this? I notice that Robinson is the starter but he looks like a journeyman (never heard of him).

Our secondary has played very undisciplined football at times this year and that is a worry. If they play disciplined they can be good. You will have to beat us through the air, period. You will not run on us.

If you're ranked 30th in the pass why do the Texans have to run? How were the Colts able to rack up 126 yards on the ground when the rush defense is supposedly so stingy? These things both seem like the hallmark of inconsistent play (Which hey, I'm more than familiar with watching the Texans for 7 years) and it leads me to believe that the Texans are going to run juuuuust enough to set up playaction passes.

A few more questions:

How does your team respond to playactions? These are the Texans bread and butter plays and we really haven't done any damage with the run until we have the defense guessing in about the 2nd quarter. If the secondary has been playing undisciplined then is this the week you guys expect them to buckle down and not bite? Can your front 7 be expected to stop the run or will you need to cheat another safety into the box?

What scheme does your secondary play? Zone or man? Do the CB's hold a side of the field or do they take a man? Who is going to be covering Owen Daniels?

I was rather unimpressed with Hightower last year and to me he looks like the bruiser you would want to bring on 3rd and short, not 1st and 10. Is this going to change or has it still been the case with him starting?

What about your special teams? How are punt and kickoff coverages? Is there a take it to the house threat on your team?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey DieHard nice sig.. I should get mine up on my sig too..

I remember when I made that sig too.. The stick figure with the beer belly, i think that was bleedingreds idea lmao.. I thought we were gonna make shirts outta them too lmao..

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Edge on the team this year? As far as I've seen the Cardinals have done practically 0 damage this year with the running game (As evidenced by the paltry 60 yds/g) Why is this number so low this year? Is it blocking or what?
RE: the running game

The reason he pointed out what Edge did last year was to show that even old and slow RBs can gain yards in the offense...when the offensive gameplan calls for it. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any commitment to it. It's curious, especially in the Colts game.

Hopefully this is the week Whiz puts a little more trust in Wells, because he looks unber-dangerous when he gets touches. The reason we haven't seen more is because he's put the ball on the turf a couple of times.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Beanie is doing serious damage when he touches the ball...but he put it on the ground and thus isn't "trusted" right now, what with missing a lot of camp and coming in late. What it is, is a combo of Tim not hitting the hole quick enough and having vision once he hits it, and Beanie not quite ready for prime time. Getting 4.4 per carry is just fine, and that's what Beanie is doing on a small number of carries.

Which Warner was at the Colts game 2 weeks ago?

That was kind of bad Kurt...when he DID have time, he overthrew Fitz twice and made very bad judgement throws (forcing it in the endzone on first down). Leaving our tackle on an island with Freeney just made it worse.

How is the interior of your line at pass blocking?

Better than the exterior, I think.

Why do you expect these two to have big games on Sunday as opposed to other Sundays this year?

Dockett has been playing great so far, and so has Campbell. The latter was named special teams player of the week for his blocked FG, to boot...due to those long arms and huge frame I mentioned earlier.

In the 3-4 the NT is easily the most important position of them all on the line yet you say there is a rotation of 2 players, (or is it 3? Does Branch play NT? I know he was a DT in college but that could be an end in the 3-4 depending on skillset) why is this?

Branch is playing more on the end, and doing well. Watson is a monster of a man, and Dock is the NT.

How does your team respond to playactions?

Not well. Worse though to RB screens. We SUCK at defending (and running) that play.

Can your front 7 be expected to stop the run

Yes

I was rather unimpressed with Hightower last year and to me he looks like the bruiser you would want to bring on 3rd and short, not 1st and 10. Is this going to change or has it still been the case with him starting?

Yes, absolutely. Whis is talking locally though about Beanie getting more playing time, and that is what is needed, IMO. Beanie is a good 1st and 2nd down back right now, and TH is a great goalline back and 3rd down block/passcatching back.

What about your special teams? How are punt and kickoff coverages? Is there a take it to the house threat on your team?

Breaston has taken it to the house before, yes, on punts. LaRod has taken back monster kickoff in the pre-season to almost score, but has been a bit dinged up. Not sure as to his health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05