Looking for new #2 QB??

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Listening to KDUS and heard something to the effect Mac is not happy with either McCown or Parson as back up and will probably look for vet back up help. Anyone else hear this and have any thoughts?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually as I put in my thread below, Mac says "Not yet."

Mac is correct...

It's better to wait until the end of preseason to get that vet QB backup...that way they don't know the system and you can't tell how good they are compared to McCown. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be disappointed if we went out a looked for another #2. I 'd like to see what McCown can do after starting a couple of games--which is I hope what happens after/if we become eliminated from playoff contention or Blake goes down with injury.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
Actually as I put in my thread below, Mac says "Not yet."

Mac is correct...

It's better to wait until the end of preseason to get that vet QB backup...that way they don't know the system and you can't tell how good they are compared to McCown. :thumbup:

actually, mccowan looks like he would do ok. I don't really think a guy like ray lucas is much better.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
McCown had one really good pass where he was backpedaling to avoid a sack and sidearmed a nice strike to a receiver a few yards away. It was a very athletic play and made me think he might have something going for him. Of course, it's almost impossible to really see what he's got unless he runs with the first team.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
<<which is I hope what happens after if we become eliminated from playoff contention or Blake goes down with injury.>>

I can tell you the Mac's career in Az depends on THIS season! He can't afford not to win this year...personally...I'd like the Cards to do whatever they need that gives them the best chance to win NOW...not always next year!

Bobcat

Reaction score
Parial:

I'd be disappointed if we went out a looked for another #2. I 'd like to see what McCown can do after starting a couple of games--which is I hope what happens after if we become eliminated from playoff contention or Blake goes down with injury.

I totally disagree with your comments. Just look at how McCown has played last year in Preseason; regular season, and this preseason. More like Stoney Case than I would have liked. We need to get another Veteran in here now, so he can learn our system.

Make Parsons #3 and place McCown on the PS. He has happy feet, and that shows lack of maturity as a Qb.

Allan

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I'd be disappointed if we went out a looked for another #2. I 'd like to see what McCown can do after starting a couple of games--which is I hope what happens after if we become eliminated from playoff contention or Blake goes down with injury.

How's that for some optomism folks!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll need to agree to disagree, then. There are a lot of guys starting now that were given up on too early by their original teams simply because they were never given the opportunity to mature (Warner, Brunell, Brooks, Maddox).

As an aside, and I don't know what it means, but 3 of those 4 guys I just named were originally with the Packers.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rivercard
How's that for some optomism folks!

Come on, do you really think we're a playoff team right now? Maybe 8-8. But Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! (a tip of the hat to Mora ;) )

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Come on, do you really think we're a playoff team right now? Maybe 8-8. But Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! (a tip of the hat to Mora ;) )

8-8 is only a game away from being a legitimate playoff contender. So yes, I think we are a few quality/experienced players removed from being a playoff contended - #2 QB being one of them.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, you and I differ about the quality of the team this year. I think we'll be fortunate to get to 8-8 and need to concern ourselves with the future of this team rather than short term insurance, and if the team is serious about Josh McCown being the QB of the future we need to test that theory.

If he turns out to be a gamer (I don't think that pre-season and mop-up counts as a true test), then we're golden. If he's not, then we know we need to address that position with a starter, not a #2. Blake only has 2 maybe 3 seasons left--that's about the time this team will be peaking.

Last edited:

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Jeff George?! HELL NO! That guys hasn't won anywhere....talk about locker room cancer!

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
What about Danny Kanell after Denver releases him...I know he's not the best but he does have starter experience

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We'll need to agree to disagree, then. There are a lot of guys starting now that were given up on too early by their original teams simply because they were never given the opportunity to mature (Warner, Brunell, Brooks, Maddox).

As an aside, and I don't know what it means, but 3 of those 4 guys I just named were originally with the Packers.

what it means is that the pack had favre with talented assets sitting on their bench that they traded for valuable help. they didn't "give up" on the talent. they recognized it and capitalized on it.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alan
Jeff George anyone? :)

I agree with Alan on this one. We don't need a leader, we don't need an heir apparent, we need an experienced NFL QB that can read defenses and run an offense.

Jeff Blake has been called 'unleader like' by several on the board, but most of us don't think that we need a 'rah rah' behind center, we need a consistant player. George can be that kind of player for us. McCown isn't going to become a Blake or George type QB from a attitude standpoint.

Blake's and George's individual personalities are unique and the attributes that go with them aren't usually the type that would be picked up by a kid that has seemed to have the type of personality of McCown. What he can learn from QB's like that are the abilities to read defenses, check down, knowing when to throw it away, the parts of the game that our former QB lacked.

There aren't a great deal of QB's in the league that can win games from a back up role, George is that type of QB.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I see it is that Blake is 32 years old. The two QB's in the Superbowl this year were Gannon at 37 and Johnson at 35 and both are still playing starting QB positions. That means we could get another 4 or 5 years out of Blake (if not more).

Besides, there are no really good candidates available. The Cards have said they have the money and will spend it if the talent is right. No use to waste money on someone who is only a marginally better than what we have.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
josh is young. give him a chance and let jeff continue to help him. unlike many of you i think jeff is here for 5 years min. and josh will be gone by then but i think he is a good athelete who will learn enough to be affective.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Not many people agree with me, but I always felt the Cardinals should trade for A.J. Feeley to get more depth at that position. The Eagles were willing to trade him after they extended the contract of Detmer to be the backup to McNabb. You'd probably have to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for A.J, who was originally a 5th or 6th round draft pick I think.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This is from today's practice notes at azcardinals.com...
This should put any discussions to rest whether we will bring in another #2 QB or not...

Following Saturday’s preseason game Head Coach Dave McGinnis reemphasized that he’s not shopping for another veteran quarterback for a backup and continued to give a vote of confidence to second-year players Josh McCown and Preston Parsons.

“They need the reps,” explained McGinnis. “I don’t want them to be splitting any reps with a fourth quarterback that wouldn’t be fitting into the mix.”

“I got a lot,” answered McGinnis to how much confidence he has in Josh McCown. “He’s the second team quarterback. If he has to step in there and play, he’ll play. I expect him to take this team to victory when he plays. He’s improved a lot and there’s still a lot to go. There is not a quarterback in this league that is a finished product after a year and a half. However, there is nobody that has worked harder than Josh McCown in his game.”

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
On the last segment of the afternoon show on KDUS, Mike Jurecki said that he asked one of the offensive coaches, after this afternoon's practice, if they're "concerned" about the play of the back-up QBs. The unnamed coach responded, "Ask me again after Saturday's game." Jurecki's intrepretation was that, if McCown and Parsons don't look better than they did against Dallas, the Cards will try to find a veteran QB. No candidates were mentioned.

WC

JHall

Veteran
Reaction score
Quick profile of Jeffy George...

Arm Strength 11 (always throws a spiral...I'm talking always; this isn't hyperbole)
Deep passing 10 (Ricky Dudley once averaged over 17 yards a catch with him at QB & James Jett was actually productive with him throwing)
Short passing 3 (hates dink'n & dunk'n. Ask June Jones & Schottenheimer)
Mobility 0 (don't expect any heroics if he's pressured)
Leadership -2 (well documented)

If you can mitigate that last 'quality' (just let Emmitt do all the talking), George isn't that bad of a fit. :eek:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would support picking up George, midseason IF Blake goes down AND we have a legimate shot at the playoffs.

Otherwise go with the Kid.