'Looks like there is unrest in the clubhouse

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I see a lot of things wrong with this team. Clayton sometimes literally stinks at SS, and his at bats are atrocious. I'm not that happy with Glaus either at times. I would like to see Tracy play 3rd and Clark first for the time being. Move Counsell to SS and let's try Hairston at 2nd. If that is unsatisfactory to the majority, then keep Glaus at 3rd and move Tracy to 2nd and see if he can play the position... Clark at 1st and Counsell at SS. We need Tracy and Clark at bat all the time. They are our strong offense.

I thought that last year's catchers were better fielders and they seemed to hit the ball better too. Why is it that the D'Backs change catchers every year???

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
minercon said:
I see a lot of things wrong with this team. Clayton sometimes literally stinks at SS, and his at bats are atrocious. I'm not that happy with Glaus either at times. I would like to see Tracy play 3rd and Clark first for the time being. Move Counsell to SS and let's try Hairston at 2nd. If that is unsatisfactory to the majority, then keep Glaus at 3rd and move Tracy to 2nd and see if he can play the position... Clark at 1st and Counsell at SS. We need Tracy and Clark at bat all the time. They are our strong offense.

I thought that last year's catchers were better fielders and they seemed to hit the ball better too. Why is it that the D'Backs change catchers every year???

Playing 3 1B's in the Infield at once! :eek:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I like that Melvin voices his dissatisfaction instead of all the cliches and platitudes. Holding guys publically accountable.

Apparently Glaus has had some naggy injuries - I know his knee is bad - but he rarely if ever seems lazy, at least. In ST Royce-tafarian looked flat-out stoned sometimes, and he still does. Cruz has a chronic bad back, and he is so inconsistent - he's made some Finley-esque catches, but a few times (like yesterday) he just seems sort of... stoned. LOL. Let's not forget Green - his bat has heated up, fortunately, but he's not exactly all hustle in RF. Gonzo still has minimal arm.

Hairston can't play infield - you think Clayton and Cintron drive us nuts?! Short memory. Better to bring Kata up and put Cruz and Glaus on the DL.

How's this :mrgreen: - Cruz and Glaus on the DL, Clayton sits, Hairston sent back down. Tracy at 3rd, Cintron SS, Counsell at 2nd, Conor Jackson at 1st with Cruz his backup, try Carlos Quentin in CF - what the heck - and bring up Kata or Andy Green as bench infielder. Conor can also play LF.

I think Snyder will be fine. One problem has been every year we get new young catchers, who fear for their career if their bats go cold, so they can't settle in and mature at the spot defensively. Snyder needs time and some patience.

AzJc

Rookie
Reaction score
minercon said:

goodthing you're not the manager

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
minercon said:

Clayton's ability with the glove help compensates for his offensive deficiencies.. True he somewhat struggled this past wknd, but all players go thru a phase in which they play subpar.. he'll bounce back in that area soon... It's hilarious to note that he actually did put on slight offensive surge this wknd... wonder why he cant excel at both at the same time....

Glaus has been playing with lingering injuries that are probably more severe than we're aware of... If he was removed from the line-up that would remove our own true consistent power threat from the right-side and would make the line-up so less imposing that the pitchers would pitch around Gonzo with quite ease......

Hairston in the every day line-up playing 2nd base? No way possible... always swings at the first pitch in crucial situations or also strikes out too constantly when he actually does take some pitches... Defensive liability and still cannot grasp the fundamentals....

I know many are lauding Clark enough to play everday, but people tend to not take into account that he had been battling severe back problems for the past 5 years (or even longer) and the rigours of playing on a regular basis would really hinder him...that is one of the main reasons why he hasnt started more than 2-3 games consecutively at 1B..plus he's better suited to pinch-hit from the left-side of the plate in later portions of the game since the Dbacks lack a LH power source to come off the bench in those situations..

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
minercon said:

Does that include Juan Brito? :thud:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly, there SHOULD be a little bit of tension in the clubhouse. Lots of guys are not getting it done. I think it'd be worse if everyone just felt hunky-dory with each other no matter what happened on the field.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Apparently the story isnt true.

Blue highlighter was smeared on Vader's cheeks, a not-so-subtle reminder by someone on the team that Cruz could have used eye black - or something - to more deftly play his position.

Cruz was visibly upset and later, when reporters approached, he stammered something to the effect that he is a big "Star Wars freak" and the picture of Vader "came in a box with other stuff," but that didn't appear to be the case.

Whether the original story was not true, or Jose is taking one for the team in downplaying it . . . perhaps it will serve as a wakeup call for the D'backs.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree that they're in desperate need of an immediate wake-up call, but it has to be one a hardline approach...not something completely out of desperation, but has to make the players each feel more accountable for their own actions....

So far, they've attempted one of the earlier phases..which is to demote a player that most of the team probably didnt expect (Koplove) and released a few veterans which sent a message that no one's job on the team is safe/secured, but it hasnt seemed to work effectively thus far...

Next step may be to consider firing a coach...perhaps Mark Davis because of what I voiced a cpl of wks ago about how he's somewhat responsible for the injury woes that many of the Dbacks younger relievers have endured over the past few seasons (destroying the likes of Villarreal and let's hope Valverde and Aquino can regain full-strength along with Lyon returning)..... I know though that their start pitching has improved much over the past wk, but obviously the BP continues to struggle.... I wont be stunned to see Cormier on the DL w/in the next cpl wks..... Fire Aldrete for how poorly the offense has been? Wouldnt completely fault him for anything....Too premature to do so, but I wonder if there were better candidates to become the Dbacks hitting coach rather than him? It doesnt appear that any of the younger hitters have flourished under his tutelage at all...

Then...there's trade a key player, but who? Who honestly wants Cintron or Hairston? Neither can play defense.... Hairston is a total embarrassment at the plate... either swings at the first pitch with RISP or Ks..... Someone though must be traded to wake someone up.. I'm not completely advocating trading a player for the sake of doing so, but they could acquire someone to fill a need....though.. of course dont sacrifice any of the uber prospects... Perhaps trade Chad Tracy for some veteran relief help? He does have some redeemable value and is expendable... Of course the trades wont really happen until July/August when the Dbacks determine whether or not they'll be either buyers or sellers.....

Too premature to terminate Melvin... I know I was singing his praises early on, but I remember saying last year when there were rumors circulating that he'd become the next Dbacks manager..I stated how he's nothing but a Brenly clone... Just seems so passive... At least though he blames the players when the situation dictates/warrants.... Of course Wally Backman would have been ideal with his fiery attitude and how familiar he was with the younger prospects advancing thru the farm system, but obviously the Dbacks had to save-face when the story of Backman's turmoil was leaked.... They need someone with an iron-fist now......

One scenario that has rallied around a team and it does sound quite drastic is this..it's actually been documented on a few occasions on how its helped rally a team together... They need a major brawl.... Someone like Bruney (since he's imposing) should intentionally hit an opponents elite hitter (dont make it so obvious it was deliberate) and if the hitter charges the mound..the usual would happen.. but the result is always one player defending their teammate (in this case after Bruney gets tackled to the ground) and then they all realize that they're all in this together collectively and it improves their chemistry pretty well.... Some teams have cited a brawl in being their franchise's turning-point which eventually made them a winner.....

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
I never thought about getting rid of the hitting coach, but it makes perfect sense - we need a different approach at the plate, and maybe that would be the thing to do it....dumping the pitching coaches would hopefully have the same effect on the pitching staff as well, but regardless of whatever moves the FO has in mind, we definitely need some upheaval on this club!

I like KLL's idea of a brawl, but with our luck we would lose someone to the DL in the ensuing fight!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Why would we fire the hitting coach? We're 9th in baseball in runs scored.

EDIT - And I'm tired of the overworked excuse when it comes to the pen. We're in the middle of the pack when it comes to IP by releivers. In fact, our relievers have thrown the least innings of any team in the NL West. Look no further than the bullpen which is last in all in baseball in ERA if you want a scapegoat for motivational purposes.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
If we're going to have a brawl and lose someone to the DL, then let's pick carefully - if it's a reliever, the bench just might watch him get pummelled awhile before coming to his defense. So maybe...Vargas? :D Makes the most sense.

I can't blame the hitting coach, either - he doesn't control if guys swing at the first pitch or let the count get to 3-2 and swing - no, correct that - swat way outside the strike zone. All he can do is try to help adjust swing mechanics and point out tendencies. However, wish Melvin would puch for walks, esp when the bases are loaded. Maybe it's time for the players to reinstate a kangaroo court for lame-ass misfires and brainless behavior.

Glaus should sit or at least be moved in the lineup for a bit - he was behind on nearly every pitch last night, perhaps from the wrist, which he jammed again in the early innings. He actually knows how to take a walk if he isn't in a spot where he feels he must swing.