Lost all respect for Mark Curtis

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to really like Mark Curtis, but lately he has really disappointed me. He is supposed to be someone knowledgeable in sports, yet he says some things that make me really question that knowledge.

Tonight, he said more than once that he thought Dirk Nowitzki looked more like an MVP this year than Tim Duncan. That is something I would really only expect from a Mavericks homer. Swap those two players and San Antonio probably doesn't make the playoffs while the Mavericks are the best team in the NBA.

I have no problem with someone who argues that Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, or even Kobe Bryant should have been the MVP. At least you can make an argument for each of those guys. But Dirk Nowitzki is not even a top-five MVP candidate.

And that's my rant for the evening. :).

Joe Mama

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
Tonight, he said more than once that he thought Dirk Nowitzki looked more like an MVP this year than Tim Duncan.

After Timmy's performance during the 1st round series, I'm sold. Tim Duncan is the MVP, hands down.

The man did more damage without the ball than most "stars" do with the ball.

No disrespect to KG, McGrady, Nowitzki and especially Shaq and Kobe, but Timmy is the real deal...and he has the hardware to prove it.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nowitzki was averaging something like 36.5 pts per game in the playoffs through the 1st 4 games of the Dallas-Portland series before he got a shoulder injury (on a foul that wasn't called........sound familiar?). The problem with Dirk is that he will never be considered as long as he is surrounded by Nash and Finley and to some extent even Van Exel.

Duncan, Garnett & T-Mac are basically the only stars on thier teams with the rest of the guys being mostly role players (although Hudson had a breakout season).

cheng

Veteran
Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought after the Spurs won the series.

Duncan has such big impacts as long as he is on the floor. He not only can dominate with his scoring. He can pass out of double teams as well as any big man. When he is completely denied ball, he hurts you with his rebound/putbacks or draw fouls on his defenders.

Duncan makes guys like Jackson, Rose, Ferry and Bowen look good. There is no way Jackson would score over 20pt in a playoff game if we didn't need to double team Duncan. Rose at 6'7 can't possibly dominate the paint like he did without Duncan. And Duncan is the reason Bowen lead the league in 3pt shooting this year. Those guys used to switch team after team. You have to give Popovich some credit for find the right players around Duncan too. But without Duncan, those players are nothing.

Its exactly like Randy Brown, Steve Kerr and Longley around MJ. They looked like impact players when playing with MJ, then teams overpay them when they are really not that good without MJ attracting all the attention.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
The problem with Dirk is that he will never be considered as long as he is surrounded by Nash and Finley and to some extent even Van Exel.

Duncan, Garnett & T-Mac are basically the only stars on thier teams with the rest of the guys being mostly role players (although Hudson had a breakout season).

I think that's because if Dirk Nowitzki was not surrounded by those players his team would not be very good. It's like I wrote in my original post. If you swapped Dirk and TD San Antonio would be lucky to make the playoffs.

Let's not forget also that Dirk Nowitzki is a notoriously poor defender. Tim Duncan on the other hand is one of the best defensive players in the NBA.

Joe Mama

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Well then Maybe Curtis can MOVE ON UP! He can join one of the ex-valley jocks (Steve Overmeyer) on CNN news. I remember he was let go because of some flap. Was he the one that implied that Jomana Kidd may have deserved the slap heard round the valley? Most of these sportscasters just want to take a different viewpoint once in awhile. Why even Bob Young ticked me off the other day stating that Frank Johnson should be kept around for awhile. How many saw his IN and OUT column? Let me think. He wanted out Brown, Ford, Langhi...can't remember if there was anyone else. Mainly the guys who served time on the IRL most of the year.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to tread lightly here because I never know who the unregistered guys are who make up 50% of all of our traffic, but...

aaargh. I can't. Wait. Yes I can, in one way.

There are 5 local TV media outlets with sports anchors. Two (2) are virtually in visible at Cards practices, and probably just as invisible at Suns and D'Baks games. That's my guess.

Care to guess? I bet most of the locals can nail this one.