Magic @ Suns Game Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Geez, we really need Lopez to become a solid rebounder and defender for us. We had no size against Howard. Couldn't keep him off the boards. Lopez spends so much time trying to block shots. He gets silly fouls doing this and loses rebounding position. I was hoping our big man coach would work wonders with him since he was a solid center. Not seing the coaching come through so far.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Geez, we really need Lopez to become a solid rebounder and defender for us. We had no size against Howard. Couldn't keep him off the boards. Lopez spends so much time trying to block shots. He gets silly fouls doing this and loses rebounding position. I was hoping our big man coach would work wonders with him since he was a solid center. Not seing the coaching come through so far.

Lopez is, and always will be, awful. So don't hold your breath.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
despite Crawford's best attempt to give the game to Orlando with that crappy clock assessment, Suns win!!

I watched the replay several times and the most generous amount of time left on the was 1.0 seconds. How the referees got it to 1.9 seconds I have no idea. They couldn't be watching the clock and when the ball went out of bounds to reach this decision.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched the replay several times and the most generous amount of time left on the was 1.0 seconds. How the referees got it to 1.9 seconds I have no idea. They couldn't be watching the clock and when the ball went out of bounds to reach this decision.

I heard the announcers make two conflicting statements about the situation. First they said that the clock should start when the ball first touches the ground after the tip. Next, they said that clock should start when either of the players involved with the jump ball touches it. If the former is correct, then their estimate of 1.9 may have been correct.

I don't really get what all of the complaining is about. They shouldn't have jumped again. It was pretty clear that Amare tipped it out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the announcers make two conflicting statements about the situation. First they said that the clock should start when the ball first touches the ground after the tip. Next, they said that clock should start when either of the players involved with the jump ball touches it. If the former is correct, then their estimate of 1.9 may have been correct.

I don't really get what all of the complaining is about. They shouldn't have jumped again. It was pretty clear that Amare tipped it out.

I don't see how the referees could reach any other conclusion than the clock should start when tipped by a player no matter who tipped it because the ball is in play. The only other thing I can think of is that the tip was not correct but this would have put even more time on the clock. I watched the ball and the clock as it went out of bounds and IMO the max time left on the clock was 1.0 seconds... not more.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Coming here as an admitted and well known Amare-hater:

That last rebound and subsequent dunk to seal the game was an All-World sequence. There was some SERIOUS effort on the rebound, athleticism on the entire play and a HOF-level court awareness on the pivot, drive and dunk. That was literally one of the best plays I have EVER seen, but it's also one of those plays that just won't register outside of the Suns team domain (fans, etc....). Gotta give credit where it's due....

This season, Amare has been consistent and he hasn't been arrogant and self-important. He's still a weak suck on the boards, IMO, but he will get his 7-8 a night and occasionally flare up to 14-15. For his size and potential ability, he should get 10 without thinking about it and flare up some nights with 20, so that's my gripe on that. His scoring has been sustained and consistent and I appreciate that. I have long called him a 3rd year complementary player, but over the course of the first quarter of this season, he has shown to have settled in and grown past that to maybe being a veteran #2 (in terms of team importance).

I've come on here and talked trash to other posters and about Amare, so I thought I owed it to some of you and Amare to post this. Carry on....

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, they said the clock should stop when the ball touches the ground out of bounds. The clock starts as soon as either player touches the ball.

I don't think it was so clear that Amare tipped it out. It looked to me like it might have lightly deflected off the Magic player's hand.