Magloire to Memphis ?

Hired Goon

Rookie
Reaction score
Magloire may be traded to Memphis for Shane Battier and Lorenzen Wright. NO would probably throw in Speedy Claxton or David West. No link but it appeared on other boards and supposedly in NO and Memphis they are calling a done deal. I think it is an excellent trade for Memphis but that we could put together a better package. The Hornets are having a firesale so I think the Suns should get in on it. S&T Hunter + for him or KT + for him.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
wow... seems like the trade heavily favors memphis. not only do they get magloire but also claxton or west

i think shane battier will be a nice SF for hornets but i think it was mainly to shed some money as Wright's contract ends next season

scotsman13

Reaction score
the problem with this is that magloire is having some real injury issues. last year he only played 28 games because of a broken finger. btw hunter had a badly broken finger most of the year but he still played more then 28 games.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Magloire is 3 times the player Hunter is. Trading for him would make us a legitimate title contender.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I'm not sure maglore is worth those two. I find it weird that memphis wants to trade battier since he's about the only guy who does stuff in the community.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking a finger is hardly a chronic problem. Before last season Magloire had played two full seasons. The season before those he missed 8 games.

Battier is a nice player. He works hard, plays pretty well defensively, and seems to be a leader. I wouldn't call him a bargain at 6 years /$36 million, but he's not overpaid either. I could see him averaging 14 points, 6 rebounds, and 2-3 assists per game for New Orleans.

I'd just don't think Battier and Wright are worth Magloire, especially if New Orleans also includes Claxton in the deal.

Joe Mama

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
McGloire is a legitimate center and a great rebounder. We should have saved Q and packaged him with Barbosa for McGloire. We need a legit center.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
McGloire is a legitimate center and a great rebounder. We should have saved Q and packaged him with Barbosa for McGloire. We need a legit center.

What makes you think New Orleans would want a package of Q and Barbosa?

Joe Mama

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
What makes you think New Orleans would want a package of Q and Barbosa?

Joe Mama

Sorry, I forgot Lorenzen Wright and Shane Battier were all-stars and Q and Barbosa were nobodys.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Sorry, I forgot Lorenzen Wright and Shane Battier were all-stars and Q and Barbosa were nobodys.

I never said either of the guys from Memphis were all-stars, but they are a better package than Q and Barbosa (who is essentially a nobody). IMO Battier has more trade value than Q.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

not All-stars - but they are guys who BOTH have size and consdering they would be giving up a C in Magloire - don't you think that's what they would be wanting in return, not a 6'5 SG and a PG who IS a nobody.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
That team has multiple needs. And sorry, but Shane Battier is not better than Q. And everybody knows that Lorenzen Wright is garbage.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
That team has multiple needs. And sorry, but Shane Battier is not better than Q. And everybody knows that Lorenzen Wright is garbage.

No - but Shane Battier is just as valuable as Q and a guy who averages 10 points and 8 boards in 28 minutes is a HELL of a lot more valuable than some never-done-anything SG in a point-guard's body.

sunsfn

Reaction score
JPlay said:

I sometimes wonder if the owners of this chat board pay you to say the things you say just to generate responses?

There is no way a fan of the suns and the NBA could come up with the value of players and the general comments you make about the suns here unless you were paid to say them.........? :shrug:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I sometimes wonder if the owners of this chat board pay you to say the things you say just to generate responses?

There is no way a fan of the suns and the NBA could come up with the value of players and the general comments you make about the suns here unless you were paid to say them.........? :shrug:

As we have seen in the past JPlay likes to disapprove with every move the Suns make.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
SweetD said:
As we have seen in the past JPlay likes to disapprove with every move the Suns make.

Yes they've really F'd up this off-season.

All I want is a center. Other championship teams realize this is a must have. Apparently the Suns don't. And if u can't get one why break up a team that went to the WCF, why not give them another year. Sign JJ and then trade members of the team next year if we need cap relief once Amare's contract is due. It's F-ing simple.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:

All I want is a center. Other championship teams realize this is a must have. Apparently the Suns don't. And if u can't get one why break up a team that went to the WCF, why not give them another year. Sign JJ and then trade members of the team next year if we need cap relief once Amare's contract is due. It's F-ing simple.

Are you honestly saying that every team except the Suns has a bonafide center? I hope you aren't because that is not even close to the truth.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

if only it were that simple. Amare is going to get frontcourt help from Kurt Thomas. If you saw him comment on the deal it was clear he was happy that move was made. This also brings in some frontcourt help who can consistently shoot, so he isn't clogging the middle on offense.

Regardless of whether JJ is retained on the happy with the Q for Thomas deal. It sucks that Thomas worked them over for the draft pick, but I still think it was a good deal. Q was the fifth wheel. I don't consider moving him to be part of breaking up the team from last year. In fact I'm glad they traded Q before this mess with Atlanta/JJ started because it makes letting JJ go more difficult.

Joe Mama

scotsman13

Reaction score
JPlay said:

lets see we have second team all nba center on this team and you dont think we have a good center? so you think we need a dampier, a yoa or foyle? you know people that didnt do as well as a power forward turned point center. lets see the starting center for the last two championship team have been a 6'9" 240lbs. power forward by the name of ben wallace (a very good defensive power foward) and a 6'10" 250 lbs center by the name of Nazr Mohammed both of these players are very close in size to amare or KT and you still want to bitch about it. tell me who do you think the suns should get as a center? dont tell me magoire who has done such a good job in to lead his team to 7 wins in 23 games last year in games he played and his 13.6 points and 10.3 rebounds of his best season.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
lets see we have second team all nba center on this team and you dont think we have a good center? so you think we need a dampier, a yoa or foyle? you know people that didnt do as well as a power forward turned point center. lets see the starting center for the last two championship team have been a 6'9" 240lbs. power forward by the name of ben wallace (a very good defensive power foward) and a 6'10" 250 lbs center by the name of Nazr Mohammed both of these players are very close in size to amare or KT and you still want to bitch about it. tell me who do you think the suns should get as a center? dont tell me magoire who has done such a good job in to lead his team to 7 wins in 23 games last year in games he played and his 13.6 points and 10.3 rebounds of his best season.

No, we have one of the most dominating PFs who played out of position at C last year. He has no intention of doing that long-term. And we don't need a dominating offensive center, we need a big body who can take up space, grab 10 rebounds a game, challenge shots in the paint and run. Not to mention match up with Duncan and Yao. Someone like Dalembert would have been a great pickup if we lose JJ.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
No, we have one of the most dominating PFs who played out of position at C last year. He has no intention of doing that long-term. And we don't need a dominating offensive center, we need a big body who can take up space, grab 10 rebounds a game, challenge shots in the paint and run. Not to mention match up with Duncan and Yao. Someone like Dalembert would have been a great pickup if we lose JJ.

Not exactly true, a player that just "takes up space" is going to hurt Amare, not help him. Kurt Thomas is actually the best kind of player to have on the floor with Amare.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Not exactly true, a player that just "takes up space" is going to hurt Amare, not help him. Kurt Thomas is actually the best kind of player to have on the floor with Amare.

What? No.

Players know how to space themselves and the touches will still be going to Amare. A center would rebound on the other end of the basket and guard the bigger centers in the league. I'm sure Amare is happy we have another big man, but I would much rather have a legit center 6'11 or better playing in the middle.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

I agree that Dalembert would have been a nice pickup if we lost JJ, but there's no way to do that. What were you going to do to get Dalembert?

The Phoenix Suns want to run a wide-open offense. That does not work well if the center can't score outside of 10 feet. You can talk all you want about proper spacing, but the bottom line is with the current defense rules the middle gets clogged unless everybody in the offense can make a midrange/outside shot consistently.

I'm not saying that the team couldn't get by with Amare Stoudemire and Magloire in the lineup together. They just wouldn't want to do it for more than 10-15 minutes per game.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
Joe, "I'm not saying that the team couldn't get by with Amare Stoudemire and Magloire in the lineup together. They just wouldn't want to do it for more than 10-15 minutes per game."

I'd agree that you wouldn't want Jahidi White with his stone hands, clogging the middle for Amare but I could definitely see 'point center' Amare in the high post plus Magloire in the low post working very well. To begin with, when Amare has the ball in his hands, Magloire's man is going to defending with no help. All he's going to have to do is lean a few inches the wrong way when Amare jukes and Magloire will seal him away. If Amare passes Magloire gets a good shot and if Amare shoots he's got rebounding position. When Amare drives Magloire's man is going to have to help, giving him a lane to the hoop. It won't be quite as easy a pass as to a stationary target at 14 feet but I'm confident Amare can learn to make it. (I'm a little less confident the Sun's coaching staff would figure the whole thing out.) When Amare flips up a shot despite the double team, Mags again is there to rebound. Then there are the times he can screen his defender so he's unable to supply the expected help on Amare's drives.

Even Hunter wouldn't be a total loss playing in that setup as he has decent hands and knows what to do with a lane to the hoop. His failings are inability to seal defenders, a weak post up game and second rate rebounding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan