Make it or Break it time for Josh.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Oh, I agree. But clearly something happens that the team does something to win games when Josh just happens to be QBing. Is it coincidence or is it a trend where the team somehow "rallies" (using the term loosely) when he is at QB to the point they win?

I just find it strange that all these "better" QBs than McCown have started for the Cards and yet McCown has a better winning percentage than alot of them.

AZCB:

I think it's all about team matchups and "any given Sunday." After all, the Cardinals lost what most observers would say were Josh McCown's two best individual efforts (i.e., the two '49er games) last season. And Dennis Green clearly didn't think McCown starting was the reason for the Cards' modest success early last season, or he'd never have sat Josh down in favor of Shaun King and then John Navarre. Or gone out and got Kurt Warner in the offseason. (Or, arguably, brought in Rohan Davey this week, although Green may see him only as a short-term #3 until Warner is healthy.)

Although I think McCown got a fair shot coming off the bench in Seattle, this Sunday he's got a golden opportunity--and four quarters against one of the NFL's most-porous defenses--to start proving his doubters wrong.

Let's see what he does.

WC

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Point taken....But i will say this as well. I live in Miami but i moved from Ahwatukee where i worked at Jillys (home of the Big Red Rage show) and many many Cardinals employees and players are patrons. I have met Josh and talked with him a few times and that is actually where i came up with him being not smart enough to deal with NFL defenses. Well that and me watching him not look off certain reciever and making throws into double coverages (although he doesn't get intercepted as much as you would think)

Granted i talked to him like 5 minutes each time so its hard to accuratly gauge anyones mental level in 15 minutes but lets just say i felt the same way about him that i did after i met Jake, which was severly dissapointed.

I have to say this for Josh though....His believers are damn loyal......Between here and the team message board this guy is either paying people off or has a huge extended family.....

:eek:
I just had lunch at Jilly's!

Anyway, it's not like I'm best friends with him or anything but did get to spend a good amount of time talking to him and he was pretty cool. That said looking off defenders is a concern for sure.

I hope he's paying people off! I could use some extra cash. :D

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
we're all testy right now. Let's get behind the team and pull for whoever is starting and hope we get a win. Who gives a rats ass(sorry rats) what player excells and what player doesn't? I just want a win this week!
C'mon, let's knock off the ******** and get behind this TEAM!

Gotta agree with that. :thumbup:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure Josh will have just enough good fortune to screw up the number one draft pick as he did in a last second win against the Vikes.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
we're all testy right now. Let's get behind the team and pull for whoever is starting and hope we get a win. Who gives a rats ass(sorry rats) what player excells and what player doesn't? I just want a win this week!
C'mon, let's knock off the ******** and get behind this TEAM!
:thumbup:

I hope we really win in front of the national audience!!!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'd submit that Josh's winning percentage had most to do with his not throwing interceptions.

He had too few TD's granted but in the wins he tended not to make any drastic mistakes.

His big turnover game was the Falcons when he fumbled like 4 times and we lost that game, he also turned it over after he got pressured to make more plays but on the whole he did protect the ball, he just didn't score much.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I'd submit that Josh's winning percentage had most to do with his not throwing interceptions.

He had too few TD's granted but in the wins he tended not to make any drastic mistakes.

His big turnover game was the Falcons when he fumbled like 4 times and we lost that game, he also turned it over after he got pressured to make more plays but on the whole he did protect the ball, he just didn't score much.

Yep, as good as Warner played at times if you take away the pick against the Giants or the fumble against the Seahawks and maybe we stay in those games longer? The games we won with Josh last year he was good at protecting the ball, 2 picks in 6 wins, 8 in 8 losses. He threw for more yards in losses but thats always true, get behind throw more. His YPA number was lower in wins, but he got sacked half as much so presumably his protection was better.

Josh wasn't winning those games he was NOT LOSING those games.

Not sure the defense is good enough to do that right now.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not sure the defense is good enough to do that right now.

I'm totally sure that they are NOT.

This defense is an embarrasment, and with Rolle going down, it's only going to get worse.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

This defense is an embarrasment, and with Rolle going down, it's only going to get worse.

And Macklin being gimpy doesn't help either...no matter what people think of Macklin. This D is in rough shape right now and there really isn't anything on the horizon to point to to think it will get better.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Yeppers,

Play this game in our home stadium we might have a good shot, on a neutral field we get slaughtered.

Funny if both teams had a great offense we could see the scoring record go down in this game, we might anyway.

What is the record combined score anyway? I think this one has a chance when you look at the fact of who will be covering our WR, the game plan to me would be chuck and duck for Josh and just chuck for Rattay.

It might actually be entertaining but then again it could turn into a classic Cardinal stinker, who knows.....

As long as I have beer it will be ok.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
It might actually be entertaining but then again it could turn into a classic Cardinal stinker, who knows.....

As long as I have beer it will be ok.

Fortunately if it gets too ugly they can just let the bulls out on the field.

Assuming the 49ers wear red and not us of course.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Fortunately if it gets too ugly they can just let the bulls out on the field.

Assuming the 49ers wear red and not us of course.

That'd be a great pay per view event.

Watching DG run from a bull...... I'd pay 39.99 for that!

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
THAT is frickin HILARIOUS!!!

HookemCards said:
How far can he throw from his back?? With this OL thats very important.

AWESOME, but unfortunately a REASONABLE question:biglaugh:

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep, as good as Warner played at times if you take away the pick against the Giants or the fumble against the Seahawks and maybe we stay in those games longer?

Russ:

The critical fumble in the Seattle game was Josh McCown's, on the Cards' first possession of the second half. And through the first three weeks, McCown has thrown as many picks (2) in slightly over two quarters of play as Kurt Warner threw in 2-1/2 games.

It's fair to say that McCown's mobility allows him to do some things that Warner can't. But to think that a career 56 percent passer--who's thrown 25 percent more INTs than TDs in four years--will cut down on turnovers from the QB position is wishful thinking.

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Russ:

The critical fumble in the Seattle game was Josh McCown's, on the Cards' first possession of the second half. And through the first three weeks, McCown has thrown as many picks (2) in slightly over two quarters of play as Kurt Warner threw in 2-1/2 games.

It's fair to say that McCown's mobility allows him to do some things that Warner can't. But to think that a career 56 percent passer--who's thrown 25 percent more INTs than TDs in four years--will cut down on turnovers from the QB position is wishful thinking.

WC

I meant the fumbled snap that essentially forced us to kick a FG. But that was the Rams game now that I think, not the Seattle game. We were in the redzone and Warner fumbled a snap and then got sacked on the next play That was his 3rd fumble of the half IIRC.

Warner is better than Josh you'll get no argument from me there, I just said in the games we won with Josh, he didn't turn it over much and that allowed the defense to win the games.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Russ:

WC

Wasn't that where a SEA defender (Boulware?)came in on blitz untouched and caused the turnover? I mean, certainly, a QB has to "feel" that happening behind him but I am not sure I would lay that all on Josh's feet either.

If we are talking about the same play, I think it may have been Bergens guy but Bergen locked up with another defender allowing the blitzer a free run at Josh.