Marcus Banks Has Officially Signed w/the Suns!!!!!!

nowagimp

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I am really like this signing and it appears Banks will be a good fit for Phoenix's style (also the PG of the future). However, the most important element of this acquisition is that he may prolong Steve Nash's career. Nash is instant chemistry and IMO, his play is the most important element for the Suns to win a Championship.

If Amare comes back healthy, both the inside and outside game will be open.

Just a thought, I'm wondering if the Suns have enough 3 point shooting? If James Jones does not step up, and with the loss of TT and probably Eddie House, there is some concern on my part. I'm not really counting on Pike to get the job done although it would be nice if he could.

The Suns 3 point shooters as of now are JR, Bell, LB, Nash and maybe a little Pike. I really did not want to put Nash in this category as he frequently is the one dishing the ball. Maybe I'm forgeting someone. Of course, with KT and Amare inside maybe the Suns will shoot more mid-range shots.

I share your concerns about the 3pt shooting and dont expect anything from pike as his plus/minus may not be too good with that defense. Losing House and TT really changes things for the suns, but so does a healthy amare. There will be more open threes this year if amare returns healthy. I am thinking that signing Lampe could at least provide a developable asset in the 3pt shooting area. Lampe really is a good 3pt shooter and probably not quite the defensive liability that pike is. I at least have hope that Ivaroni can help Lampe with his overall game, but I doubt that pike can improve his D. JR may also improve along the lines of his performances early last year. And Steve Nash with rested legs is a devastating 3pt shooter.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
The Suns 3 point shooters as of now are JR, Bell, LB, Nash and maybe a little Pike. I really did not want to put Nash in this category as he frequently is the one dishing the ball. Maybe I'm forgeting someone.
Any thoughts?
amare from the corner. shazzam

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I share your concerns about the 3pt shooting and dont expect anything from pike as his plus/minus may not be too good with that defense. Losing House and TT really changes things for the suns, but so does a healthy amare. There will be more open threes this year if amare returns healthy. I am thinking that signing Lampe could at least provide a developable asset in the 3pt shooting area. Lampe really is a good 3pt shooter and probably not quite the defensive liability that pike is. I at least have hope that Ivaroni can help Lampe with his overall game, but I doubt that pike can improve his D. JR may also improve along the lines of his performances early last year. And Steve Nash with rested legs is a devastating 3pt shooter.

I agree Lampe is a very worthwhile young project player that is a good 3 point shooter if he gains confidence; I almost feel like I'm talking about Joe Johnson again when he first arrived. Nash is a great 3 point shooter but he will eventually have to rest and he is best getting the other players their shot.

If JR is recovered from injury, or whatever ailed his 3 point shooting, the Suns will be okay.

I wish there was some way the Suns could keep Eddie House just for insurance. If the defenses sag in on Amare, I can only imagine the 3 point looks this team will get. Eddie could really feel it up in limited minutes when he was on. Unfortunately I don't think the Suns have the money or room for such a luxury... also I really liked how Eddie kept quiet and didn't whine when he didn't get the minutes in the playoffs.

Anyway, I hope the Suns keep Lampe.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Don't forget, with Amare back, and in the post, Marion, Diaw and the rest of the crew will all be putting up 3's, including Amare. IMO we could use either House back (which with us picking up yet another guard will not come back because of pt), or another 3 pt shooter. I think we need another 3 pt shooter over another big. With Amare and KT back with Marion and Diaw, I think we need shooters over big men, since the 3/4/5 are covered.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlove said:
Don't forget, with Amare back, and in the post, Marion, Diaw and the rest of the crew will all be putting up 3's, including Amare. IMO we could use either House back (which with us picking up yet another guard will not come back because of pt), or another 3 pt shooter. I think we need another 3 pt shooter over another big. With Amare and KT back with Marion and Diaw, I think we need shooters over big men, since the 3/4/5 are covered.

you are assuming that our frontcourt is healthy. If that's the case the Phoenix Suns probably have enough depth. I think it's a mistake however to assume that's the case.

Joe

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Serendipity Suns strike again!

I am really pleased with this signing. Going into this off season myself and many others believed that the SUns needed a good PG to backup Nash more than anything else.

Well they got him but it wouldn't have happened if TT or Salmons had excepted the Suns offers.

Oh well I guess its better to be lucky than good.

I haven't watched Banks much but he sounds like he might be a real diamond in the ruff. Point guards take longer to develop than other position players do. When Nash was 24 he averaged 8 points and 5 assists. Nash's game didn't really take off until he was about 27 or 28.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Saw this on the Laker's board: "Bell, Barbosa and Banks - The Killer B's"

There has to be a nickname for when Banks and LB are playing together. That has to be the fastest guard combo in NBA history.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Saw this on the Laker's board: "Bell, Barbosa and Banks - The Killer B's"

That was already used by the Houston Astros.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one said it was original. :p

Still, tt is not impossible that all three could be in the lineup at the same time which I doubt Al McCoy could fail to note.

Shahzam

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15077852.htm

Banks expected to sign with Suns
BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

Free-agent point guard Marcus Banks was in Phoenix on Wednesday and is expected to complete a long-term deal with the Suns.

Banks' departure from Minnesota isn't a surprise after the Wolves signed free agent Mike James to a four-year, $23.5 million deal that made James the No. 1 point guard.

Banks' father, Arthur, said Wednesday his son's contract with Phoenix is for five years and worth more than $21 million. He said his son wanted to re-sign with the Wolves, who gave the point guard his big break by starting him for the final 28 games last season.

The elder Banks confirmed his son turned down a contract offer from Minnesota. He said Marcus had a "great rapport" with Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and coach Dwane Casey.

But Arthur Banks said Wolves officials gave him and his son the "cold shoulder" recently at the Las Vegas summer league.

"I seen them at Las Vegas, and it was just like, 'Hello, Mr. Banks. Hello, Marcus Banks,' " Arthur Banks said. "It wasn't a good place to talk business, but I thought they should have been more enthusiastic."

On July 11, James agreed to sign for the team's full mid-level exception. After that, the Wolves couldn't offer Banks more than $2.46 million for next season because the team is over the salary cap.

Marcus Banks had a difficult time dealing with Minnesota's acquisition of James.

"Believe me, he was hurt," Arthur Banks said. "I couldn't get him out of his bedroom for about two or three days. He's a really strong competitor. He's not bitter at Mike; he played with him in Boston."

So the guard shifted his focus to the Suns. Phoenix officials traveled to Las Vegas, Banks' hometown, to meet with the free agent earlier this week.

Arthur Banks said he believes his son will fit in well with the Suns' running style. He will back up Steve Nash, the NBA's most valuable player the past two seasons.

For those of us who were disappointed that J.R. Smith's dad won't be coming to Phoenix, it looks like Arthur Banks will help pick up some of the slack. :D

I love it that Marcus lives at home in the offseason. I can picture it now: his dad breaks the bad news--that he's going to lose his starting job in the NBA and at least ten million dollars--and Marcus responds by running up the stairs to his bedroom and locking himself in. That's just awesome. :lol:

Nash

Reaction score
F-Dog said:

For those of us who were disappointed that J.R. Smith's dad won't be coming to Phoenix, it looks like Arthur Banks will help pick up some of the slack. :D

I love it that Marcus lives at home in the offseason. I can picture it now: his dad breaks the bad news--that he's going to lose his starting job in the NBA and at least ten million dollars--and Marcus responds by running up the stairs to his bedroom and locking himself in. That's just awesome. :lol:
:biglaugh:
The Suns now need to order custom-fitted diapers with the Suns logo for their backup PG. probably have road and home diapers designed as well. Makes me uneasy thinking what kind of a diaper would be used on retro nights :)
Other new needs include extra balls at practice since Banks is going to pick up his ball and storm away to the locker if the coach yells at him.

The staff have their work cut out!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

Who knows, maybe his Dad lives with him? Anyway I don't think it really matters. Didn't Stoudemire's mother live with him for awhile?

It sounds like his father may have a positives influence on him instead of a negative influence as some parents... afterall he is signing with the Suns. :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm glad he takes the game of basketball seriously.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And the #2 Jersey is recycled once more.

You must be registered for see images

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Charley Rosen's take:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5807564

Marcus Banks — Suns
Can do: Run with anybody. Penetrate, pass, hit jumpers (including standstill 3s). Push the ball. Finish on the run. Play super-pressure defense.

Can't do: Get along with his coaches and his teammates. Play with consistency. Play off-the-ball defense with the same intensity as he does on-the-ball.

Must do: Play under control, and forgo his constant seeking to penetrate even in half-court sets. Smile, sacrifice, say "Please" and "Thank you."

Prognosis: This guy is one of the most talented point-guards in the league. He could be an All-Star, or he could destroy the Suns' harmony. A big gamble for Phoenix, but worth the risk.
Looks like Banks has the thumbs-up from Captain Bitter himself. :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny how a bad situation can really impact a guy's reputation. Banks didn't get along with Doc Rivers in Boston on a team with lots of chemistry issues. He went to the Wolves who loved him and played very well.

BTW, I'm not really sure why Doc Rivers is so highly regarded as a coach. He was a great player, but the results of his coaching is not that impressive:

1999-2000 Orlando 41-41
2000-2001 Orlando 43-39
2001-2002 Orlando 44-38
2002-2003 Orlando 42-40
2003-2004 Orlando 1-10
2004-2005 Boston 45-37
2005-2006 Boston 33-49

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who regards Doc highley as a coach? His first year he exceeded expectations in Orl, but aside from that I think most regard him as a horrible coach.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Who regards Doc highley as a coach? His first year he exceeded expectations in Orl, but aside from that I think most regard him as a horrible coach.

Danny Ainge?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05