Marcus Banks Has Officially Signed w/the Suns!!!!!!

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned Melvin Ely. He'd be interesting. Then if we could bring back Tskitishvili, s&t for Wilcox and sign Jeffries, we'd have the full complement of players that everyone on here (and David Aldridge) wanted the Suns to draft that year....

Seriously, though, as valuable as KT is, If we could use KT, Jones and a couple of our draft picks from next year to get Wilcox and Gooden on board, we'd be so stocked to the gills, but that's a pipe dream anyways....

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If this goes through then we'll have, all from the 2003 draft:

Marcus Banks (13)
Boris Diaw (21)
Leandro Barbosa (28)
Maciej Lampe (30)
James Jones (49)

Just thought that was kind of odd. Incidentally, the only player we actualy drafted that year (Cabarkapa) is long gone.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I would not dismiss the idea of having Nash and Banks in the lineup at the same time - with Banks at PG. Nash is not only a very good PG, he's a light's out three point shooter. Letting Nash play off the ball at times would reduce the kind of physical abuse he gets when he's handling the ball.

no way in hell nash can bother with any 2 guard. offensively though, that's an absolute nightmare.

with banks, i'd feel comfortable saying that we have 5 guys that can create their own shot.

nash
banks
barbosa
diaw
amare

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
no way in hell nash can bother with any 2 guard. offensively though, that's an absolute nightmare.

Is there some rule that states if you play a certain position on one side of the floor, you must play that position on the other side? I've never heard such a rule. If Banks played the 1 on offense and Nash played the 2 on offense, they couls switch roles on the other end of the floor. It's not a big deal....

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that Banks will be a better backcourt partner for Nash than Barbosa on the defensive end.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think people are going to be disappointed in Banks' defense.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
how much room do the Suns have now before they hit the tax?

Assuming that salary figures on HoopsHype are correct and that Banks signs a deal for the same amount as Salmons was offered (as reported), we have around $2 million.

However due to the amnesty clause we can actually go $2.2 million over the luxury tax without actually having to pay the tax. Howard Eisley's dead money of $2.2 million counts against the cap but not against the luxury tax. So if we go within $2.2 million over we would be considered over the tax limit without having to pay a dime. We just wouldn't get the benefits of being over the limit

If they don't mind missing out on the benefits, they actually have around $4.1 - $4.2 million that they can spend and thus can use the full amount of the trade exemption without having to pay the tax.

Gotta love that amnesty clause ... no matter how confusing it is

I think I have that right. If it was complete relief supplied by the amnesty clause we still have $4.2 million to spend to be under the tax. That clause has me completely confused OBVIOUSLY

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
I think people are going to be disappointed in Banks' defense.

It's not like Banks is going to have to guard Tony Parker the entire time he's in the game--more like guys like Nick Van Exel, Jarret Jack and Devin Harris. He will be invaluable at stopping backup point guards--because if we cause every team's second unit to falter, we will have an upper hand--Banks will be here to a) spell Nash and b) defend the opposing team's 2nd point guard. And he's certainly good enough to do that.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
It's not like Banks is going to have to guard Tony Parker the entire time he's in the game--more like guys like Nick Van Exel, Jarret Jack and Devin Harris. He will be invaluable at stopping backup point guards--because if we cause every team's second unit to falter, we will have an upper hand--Banks will be here to a) spell Nash and b) defend the opposing team's 2nd point guard. And he's certainly good enough to do that.

Don't have to worry about him at all. He's retiring. The knees have given him enough trouble to say "I quit!".

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Really? You don't think he's going to be better than Eddie House? :p

Better than House? Yes, but I don't think he's better than Barbosa and I've seen how much grief he gets.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I'm not trying to knock him and I think he is a good value for the reported contract but from what I've been reading people seem to think he's a good to great defender and I disagree(though going against 2nd tier guards should help).

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I can agree to that, but Marion will get his 36-38 minutes based on his production alone and we still have Diaw, Jones and Piatkowski (LOL!). It's a good problem to have on one side, but this just shows how shallow we are up front....

There are 240 game minutes per game:

Nash - 30
Bell-33
Marion-38
Stoudemire - 38
Thomas - 22
Diaw - 30
Banks - 22
Barbosa - 20

I guess it will all work out in the end because that example has our top 8 playing 203 minutes, which is probably low. I suspect our top 8 will get closer to 230 minutes, but DAMN we a painfully thin on the frontcourt....
I like Jones and since there's 27 minutes left there he should get plenty of playing time. He wasn't great in the playoffs but I personally think he'll improve there. In the regular season he was good for us so he should be in the rotation for 15-20 minutes and raising other guys' minutes a bit on your list.

Marcus Banks will be a lot better on D than Barbosa. Barbosa really isn't that good there and i've been hearing a lot of good things outside this board, from articles and other NBA fans, about his D. I guess he could be as good as Barbosa if you are talking about the 5-10 games all year that Barbosa does play some D.

Edit: I don't think he's a great defender like Raja. Just a good one who's a huge upgrade over House.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Assuming that salary figures on HoopsHype are correct and that Banks signs a deal for the same amount as Salmons was offered (as reported), we have around $2 million.

However due to the amnesty clause we can actually go $2.2 million over the luxury tax without actually having to pay the tax. Howard Eisley's dead money of $2.2 million counts against the cap but not against the luxury tax. So if we go within $2.2 million over we would be considered over the tax limit without having to pay a dime. We just wouldn't get the benefits of being over the limit

If they don't mind missing out on the benefits, they actually have around $4.1 - $4.2 million that they can spend and thus can use the full amount of the trade exemption without having to pay the tax.

Gotta love that amnesty clause ... no matter how confusing it is

I think I have that right. If it was complete relief supplied by the amnesty clause we still have $4.2 million to spend to be under the tax. That clause has me completely confused OBVIOUSLY

I can't believe Eisley is STILL on the payroll. :barf:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think hoopshype is wrong on Eisley's contract. It was originally set to expire this offseason and as far as I know you can't move the expiration date with a buyout.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Done deal now. He'll sign a 5 year $21 million deal Wed. Will become official after league approval most likely Thurs.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0719suns0719.html

Banks to sign with Suns for 5 years, $21 million

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 19, 2006 12:00 AM

Marcus Banks and his family threw a surprise birthday party for his mother Saturday under the guise that she had to attend a meeting with a prospective NBA team.

He topped that surprise this week when the Las Vegas native firmed up plans to play closer to home with the Suns. Banks, who arrived in the Valley on Tuesday night, came to terms with the Suns on a five-year contract worth about $21 million. The deal could be official as soon as Thursday.

"We're honored to be with the Suns and a hop, skip and a jump away," his father, Arthur, said. "We really feel like it's an ideal fit with the Suns' style. Marcus is so ecstatic about it."

After nabbing only Eric Piatkowski in the first week of free agency, the Suns took care of their summer priority to find point guard relief for Steve Nash. Banks, 24, addresses what Phoenix tried to get earlier this month in Lindsey Hunter and then some.

With a strong 6-foot-2 frame, Banks is a noted defender but is far better offensively than Hunter and keeps the Suns younger.

Able to back up or team with Nash, Banks may challenge Leandro Barbosa as the team's quickest penetrator.

Any character concerns were wiped out by checks and a Monday dinner Banks had with coach Mike D'Antoni. Banks plays in Las Vegas in the summers with Shawn Marion, another former Runnin' Rebel.

"It could be really effective," Banks' agent, Michael Higgins, said. "He really likes D'Antoni. He told me he'd be thrilled just to learn from Steve Nash."

Banks was a backup for 2 1/2 seasons in Boston before being traded last season to Minnesota

Banks' addition would give the Suns 11 players under contract and make the possibility of Eddie House's return doubtful.

Meet Marcus Banks

Born: Nov. 19, 1981 in Las Vegas.

College: Dixie College, UNLV.

Drafted: No. 13 in 2003.

Celtics stats: 180 games, five starts, 5.3 scoring average, 40.2 percent shooting, 1.59:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Timberwolves stats: 40 games, 28 starts, 12.0 scoring average, 47.9 percent shooting, 1.96:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Etc.: Cousin of former Arizona State star Ron Riley . . . Banks was born three months prematurely and weighed 1 pound, 12 ounces.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now do people realize why some of us were saying stop jumping off a bridge two weeks ago?

This is a great move. I remember when gambo was saying who the suns were gonna get last week, I was hoping for marcus banks, and when he said salmons, i thought yeah getting banks would be unrealistic, and now they get him for the same money they were giving salmons, great move. Why?

Because he gives the suns the defense I craved from lindsey hunter, and thus the ability to at least put SOME defense pressure on tony parker and jason terry. But unlike hunter he hasn't seen his best days as a player, and is much better on offense.

Also it gives the suns room to bargain w/barbosa. They can say we aren't caving into to 35 million, because we have a young pg. Don't know if it gets things done with him, probably not, but it gives the suns room.

Now just get a serviceable big man, doesn't even half to be fancy, someone like aaron williams will do. Just someone to lean on brand/duncan for a few minutes to relieve kurt (and mike don't do something dumb and move him), and provide some resistence (something tim thomas likely would not have done). And sign boris to an extension.

Do that and this is a very good summer, because I don't look at any team and say that's a bad matchup for us. Specifically as I looked at the spurs the past two years. If we are reasonably healthy, I like our chances against them or anybody.

Lastly, can we please stop with the sarver is bidwill comparisons now. Yeah I wish he said I don't care about the luxury threshold at all, but he does and so do many other owners. But he's not refusing to spend money. And can we also stop with the this organization is done without the input of the colangelos in the future? This summer is essentially colangelo free, and we'll probably finish the offseason with a team that can matchup with anyone in the entire league (something we didn't have going into the offseason), not bad..

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So if we are able to get a servicable big man with our remaining money/picks/or TE, then this will be a very successful offseason.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nash, Banks
Bell, Barbs
Marion, JR, Pike*
Amare,
Diaw, KT, Burke*

*Probably won't play

We are missing a big man. TT would have been perfect, although with him we probably wouldn't have gotten Banks. Let's hope the Suns can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15070480.htm

Suns expected to sign backup guard as early as Thursday
BY JERRY BROWN
East Valley Tribune (Mesa, Ariz.)
MESA, Ariz. - The Phoenix Suns will address their most pressing offseason need as early as Thursday when they sign backup point guard Marcus Banks to a five-year contract and complete what should be a deeper, well-rounded backcourt rotation.

League sources say Banks has cooled on the idea of going to Houston, a team that also had its full $5.2 million exception available, clearing the path for him to sign a five-year deal in excess of $20 million with the Suns. A strong on-the-ball defender and good open-court player who loves to run, the 6-foot-2 Banks isn't as big as what Phoenix was originally shopping for. But, Banks' quickness, tenacity on defense and ability to "get under" bigger guards like Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse and Shaun Livingston of the Clippers will give the Suns a weapon they lacked against two playoff opponents last season - someone who can pester such players and affect their offensive games.

With Steve Nash and Raja Bell as the starters and Leandro Barbosa and Banks off the bench, the Suns will be able to mix-and-match all four and make a big cut into the career-high 35.4 minutes Nash logged last season. Banks started 28 of 40 games after coming to Minnesota last January from Boston - where he fell out of favor with management - and played 30 minutes a night for the T-Wolves.

The signing of Banks leaves the Suns with the rest of their mid-level exception and a $3.6 million trade exception, which must be used by Aug. 21, as they go shopping for a backup big man to go with Banks and shooter Eric Piatkowski and complete their work for the summer. Sources indicate Suns managing partner Robert Sarver has given his blessing for GM Mike D'Antoni to exceed the $65.4 million tax threshold if needed to big in one more rotation player to complete the puzzle.

Big men such as Cleveland's Drew Gooden remain restricted free agents - Gooden's contract talks have hit a wall - while sign-and-trade deals similar to the one Phoenix waved at Philadelphia in an attempt to acquire John Salmons last week are still a possibility.

The addition of Banks all but eliminates the possibility of Eddie House returning to the Suns. House, who wants more playing time than last season and would now be likely to receive less, still has teams like Miami and Denver interested in his services. The final player on the Suns roster will be a minimum salary player who is not considered part of the rotation.

Banks is known as an intense player - even in some cases, volatile - who has little tolerance for players who take plays off or fail to keep pace. But dust-ups with former teammates don't seem to concern the Suns, who see him as a good addition to what has been a harmonious locker room.

Let the celebration and speculation begin ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05