Marcus Info Insufficient

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
I ask this again. What makes you think that he convinced the Cards that he is worth signing.

As far as the doctors go, they make far more money in their own practice than they do being affiliated with an NFL team. If anything, it would most likely slow their own practices down.

They would not be hurting if a team dropped them.

A neighbor of mine used to be a doctor with the Colts. He said that he did it for fun.

And I say again, they offered him a contract. Usually, when you offer someone a contract it's because you think he is worth signing.

And as far as doctors go, I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the Card's doctors do this for fun?

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All situations dictate a different approach. Injuries, times of physicals, medical reports from the former team, doctor availability, background checks, workout results, among other things all factor in to a situation...some more than others. Usually, big money guys receive more probing if you will. It happens league wide.
I have no problem with that. My point was that for some reason, the Cards saw fit not to report to the fans on Marcus' visit (no comment from Graves, Mac or Sully).

I realize that everyone's busy during the week or two prior to the draft, but do not accept the fact that Cardinal staffers don't come up for air occasionally. (To put it another way - if they don't, they should because the extra hours will be offset by reduced mental sharpness - trust me/been there etc.).

Our expectations prior to Marcus' visit were established by the Cardinals' pattern this year of (a) having the dude visit and then (b) holding a press conference where both the dude and a representative of the Cardinals say a few words.

We got the Robinson interview, but the Cardinals were silent. Based on previous precedent, I was expecting more. I view the possibility of replacing Boston with someone even faintly comparable to be extremely important (maybe more important than the Emmitt signing). Not to hear anything at all from the Cardinals left me frustrated.

I wasn't expecting the Cards to lay out their entire negotiating strategy or any other trade secrets - just an indication of what would be going down and when we could expect to hear something (positive, negative or otherwise) about the Robinson situation.

Finally, I wouldn't characterize my thread as "lashing out." (That wasn't my intention). I started off by giving Jimmy O a "pass" because we love Jim and know he's working hard to give us info. The rest was to communicate to Jim (and hopefully to the rest of the Cardinal organization) that the absence of info on a matter important to hard core Cardinal fans left us frustrated and prone to accept and repeat rumors.

The understood message being - there are ways communications with fans could be improved.

Final point - I don't think we can jump to conclusions about why Robinson was allowed to leave without a contract (Maybe it was the turnaround time regarding the physical. Maybe it was because "the numbers were unacceptable" to Marcus and his agent. Or maybe Mac and Sully decided Marcus wouldn't work out here). We simply don't know. Just curious but can you sign a free agent contingent upon his passing a physical? If so, I'd have to admit to a nagging concern that, if the Cards wanted Marcus here, they shouldn't have let him leave the Valley without signing him.

If we knew more, we'd be less frustrated.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Originally posted by red desert
They offered him a contract.

Where did you hear that? Was there official word. I read another thread where someone said he had inside information, but I saw nothing official.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
And I say again, they offered him a contract. Usually, when you offer someone a contract it's because you think he is worth signing.

And as far as doctors go, I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the Card's doctors do this for fun?

I ask again, was their official word from a media outlet that they offered a contract?

What I meant by the doctor comment is that someone said they should put the pressure on the team doctor to be available at all times. I know for a fact that it really would not be a financial loss to the team doctor if the team would drop him so it would be tough to play hardball with him.

I said that the former Colts doctor said he did it for fun. That may or may not be the case for other team docotrs.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
I stand corrected. In this mornings Tribune, there is a one sentence confirmation that the Cards have offered Robinson a contract. The ball is in his court now!

http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=3651

No offense to seesred and red desert, you guys were right. I just like to read it from somewhere official and now I have.

;)

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I ask again, was their official word from a media outlet that they offered a contract?

What I meant by the doctor comment is that someone said they should put the pressure on the team doctor to be available at all times. I know for a fact that it really would not be a financial loss to the team doctor if the team would drop him so it would be tough to play hardball with him.

I said that the former Colts doctor said he did it for fun. That may or may not be the case for other team docotrs.

seesred posted it on another thread. Time will prove him right or wrong. And I believe he is correct.

Now, if his medical stuff didn't check out then I do believe the organization should disseminate that info to its fans. How friggin long does it take to write a press release? Did their PR guy have to be flown in to town? Was he busy writing another press release for someone else? If the medical stuff did check out then they needed to have signed him before he left town - period.

And if they "need time" to analyze the MRI then they have failed as an organization, IMO. Why have they failed? Refer back to my earlier post. And that, I think is the point of this thread.

As far as other teams having doctors that may or may not do this kind of thing for fun . . . I don't think successful NFL franchises have Doctors on their staff that advice them on multi-million dollar investments "doing it for fun."

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
seesred posted it on another thread. Time will prove him right or wrong. And I believe he is correct.

Now, if his medical stuff didn't check out then I do believe the organization should disseminate that info to its fans. How friggin long does it take to write a press release? Did their PR guy have to be flown in to town? Was he busy writing another press release for someone else? If the medical stuff did check out then they needed to have signed him before he left town - period.

And if they "need time" to analyze the MRI then they have failed as an organization, IMO. Why have they failed? Refer back to my earlier post. And that, I think is the point of this thread.

As far as other teams having doctors that may or may not do this kind of thing for fun . . . I don't think successful NFL franchises have Doctors on their staff that advice them on multi-million dollar investments "doing it for fun."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Chill dude.

They offered a contract. You were right...I was wrong.

The Colts doctor said that he did it for fun. I'm sure the money was good too, but he said it didn't make or break him. That is my only point as far as the doctors go.

Again. You were right, and I was wrong. Go throw a frickin party for yourself! Long live being right!

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Chill dude.

They offered a contract. You were right...I was wrong.

The Colts doctor said that he did it for fun. I'm sure the money was good too, but he said it didn't make or break him.

Again. You were right, and I was wrong. Go throw a frickin party for yourself!

You were doing great, taking the high road and all . . . until that last little blurb. But, no party for me. Seesred was the one who was right, not me.

Let's just hope the Cards can get him signed.

Peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05