Marion: "My knee has been bothering me a bit. I'm going to check it out."

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If this isn't "new thread" worthy, then please feel free to move it to the olympic thread.

For some reason, this article scares the crap outa me, and sounds too much like Amare last year.

Marion not headed to Asia for World Basketball

By Andy Katz

ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS — Getting the USA Men's Senior National team roster down to a manageable number of 15 for the trip to Asia next month became a bit easier Monday when Shawn Marion pulled himself out because of a left knee injury.

Marion told ESPN.com after Monday's final training camp practice at UNLV's Cox Pavilion that he won't make the trip to Asia.

"I'm not going,'' said Marion, who played at UNLV for one season after transferring from Vincennes University (Ind.) before being drafted by the Phoenix Suns in 1999. "My knee has been bothering me a bit. I sat out the last two days of practice. I just came in here and got right into it. So, I'm going to check it out (Tuesday). I'll make sure there's nothing wrong with it, rest it and take care of it.''

The 15 players who likely will return on July 31 for exhibition games will be announced Tuesday morning at the Wynn Hotel. The Americans don't have to submit a final roster of 12 players until 24 hours before the first game in Japan on Aug. 19, according to USA spokesperson Craig Miller.

Marion's departure trims the roster down to 17 leaving two more possible cuts, who likely will be Seattle point guard Luke Ridnour and Gonzaga forward and Charlotte Bobcats first-round draft pick Adam Morrison. That means the 15 players likely to travel to Asia are: Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Kirk Hinrich. The coaching staff will meet Tuesday morning before the news conference to make the final call. Ridnour and Morrioson are up against veteran options.

Morrison's coach, Gonzaga's Mark Few, was in attendance and said Morrison knew going in he would have a hard time making the squad.

Ridnour told ESPN.com that while he hadn't been told he definitely wouldn't be going to Asia, he anticipates he'll receive the news.

"I'm here for the experience and if it doesn't happen this summer then I've got two more years,'' Ridnour said. "When they called me during the season they told me that there were a lot of veterans and it would be tough to make it. But I've got a bright future, and I'm excited about it.''

Ridnour is caught in a logjam at point. Chris Paul of New Orleans/Oklahoma City is expected to compete for starter's minutes and USA coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke also talked about Chicago's Kirk Hinrich's ability to pressure the ball and finals MVP Dwyane Wade's ability to handle the ball.

Krzyzewski didn't rule out using younger talent, though.

"You don't want to use gold for bathroom fixtures," Krzyzewski said. "You want to use your natural resources, as well. Not to put down those other guys, but we'd rather it not be Dwyane. Joe Johnson could also play there, so we have some flexibility.''

Hinrich sat out half of Monday's practice but said he could have played if pressed. He said he had some tightness in his left leg behind his knee but anticipated he was going to make the final 15.

"They're just being cautious,'' Hinrich said.

So, the numbers are stacked against Ridnour. Marion's injury means Washington forward Jamison is safe, for now, as is Sacramento's Miller and Houston forward Battier.

The Americans are slated to have 15 players available on the roster for an exhibition against Puerto Rico at the Thomas & Mack Center on Aug. 3, and then games against China and Brazil in Guangzhou, China, Aug. 7-8; training in Hong Kong, Aug. 9-11, the World Basketball Challenge in Seoul, South Korea against Lithuania and Korea Aug. 13 and 15 before the FIBA World Championships Aug. 19-Sept. 3 in Saitama, Japan.

"The beauty of a fluid roster is that it covers a lot of different things that happen like injuries,'' Krzyzewski said. Asked about the number 15, Krzyzewski said he's not married to that or any number of players. "It's not a magic 15 or 14 or 16. We don't want to place ourselves in a position where we have to call on somebody (from Asia).''

Players who don't make the trip aren't being cut from the overall national team program, which is a three-year commitment..

"The process (of picking the team) was great,'' Marion said. "Everybody feels a part of the family for all three years. If I'm not there, I'll still feel like I'm there cheering them on.''

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I'm actually laughing. I sure hope it isn't serious, but after a while you just have to laugh at these types of things. My guess, considering Marions history, is that he'll be perfectly fine.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, until it's proven otherwise I'm not going to think much of this. It's not uncommon for guys to have some minor injury problems in the offseason.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I agree. But anything related to knees scares me now. ;)

mribnik

Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I agree. But anything related to knees scares me now. ;)

I can see how you'd get scared at this. If there was one player who relies more on his athleticism than Amare, it's Marion.

On second thought, forget I said that. :eek:)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping he's just setting up an excuse not to play summer ball so he doesn't look bad. If anyone deserves a summer off it is Marion. He has been Mr. Consistent while being forced to play huge minutes and guard bigger players. (fingers crossed).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's nothing serious but maybe the Suns decide to use the TE to bolster the frontcourt just in case (hopefully a 4/5 or other versatile player).

I'm trying to put a positive spin on this, because the Suns appear content with the end of their bench being Burke, Marks and Piatkowski.

Then if Marion returns healthy, the Suns will have an even stronger team.

I suspect Marion will be okay even if he has to have an arthroscopic cleanout. I don't even want to think about any serious problems. The Suns have already had their share.

Besides, there's good knews. Amare is doing better than expected.

This upcoming season is the Suns time to get win that Championship. :thumbup:

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really doubt he's doing it not to look bad since he has more international experience than anyone else on the squad and he and Odom were the only guys who got minutes in the Olympics and played well.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
I really doubt he's doing it not to look bad since he has more international experience than anyone else on the squad and he and Odom were the only guys who got minutes in the Olympics and played well.

I wasn't referring to Marion playing bad, I was talking about him possibly looking unpatriotic for wanting to take time off.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Folster said:
I wasn't referring to Marion playing bad, I was talking about him possibly looking unpatriotic for wanting to take time off.

Ah. Thats fine by me, I'm hoping Amare ends up staying as well. I'm more intrested in Diaw and Barbosa playing well in the WC.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised not one mentioned:

That means the 15 players likely to travel to Asia are: Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Kirk Hinrich.

I thought Amare was just there to work out. :confused:

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:

I don't know... Considering that he's the only player on the Olympic squad not able to create his own shot, and now that Amare is back and stealing his limelight and turning him back into a 3rd fiddle on the Suns squad (4th fiddle if Boris continues to excell)... I'm just saying...

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Marion would have been an outstanding bench player for this year's U.S. team. Creating your own shot is not the be-all and end-all for a ballplayer, especially not on the U.S. team, where that skill will never be in short supply.

Anyway, as long as Marion isn't seriously hurt, I'm happy he's sitting this out. He's starting to get to the age where his body really needs the summer as a recovery time.

I'm glad to see that Amare is looking good, too; I'm not holding my breath for it, but it would be nice to see him make the team's rotation. Amare is at the age where he can really use the experience. :)

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score
If he has any kind of serious injury that will convince me this organization is cursed!!!
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
This is ****ed up. If I were an owner, I wouldn't let my players near these Team USA practices/games. It's just an added chance of injury. Who cares about USA basketball? I sure don't. What a waste. If he needs surgery, I'm going to be apoplectic.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least he's getting it checked out now and not when traning camp starts in September.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
The way Marion handles pain, he probably just cut his knee shaving in the shower.

:biglaugh:

???

Marion never misses games for pain. Heck he gets destroyed in a playoff game, sits out like 4 minutes and comes back to win us a game in overtime.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muggum said:
This is ****ed up. If I were an owner, I wouldn't let my players near these Team USA practices/games. It's just an added chance of injury. Who cares about USA basketball? I sure don't. What a waste. If he needs surgery, I'm going to be apoplectic.

a lot of people care a lot about team USA basketball, especially since they haven't played very well over the last few world championships/Olympics. Besides, who says this is an injury he suffered playing for team USA? For all we know this is some carryover injury from the season and/or playoffs, and he would have been figuring this out in September or October if not for team USA basketball.

Chris_Sanders said:
???

Marion never misses games for pain. Heck he gets destroyed in a playoff game, sits out like 4 minutes and comes back to win us a game in overtime.

I think that was the point actually. How many times have we seen Shawn Marion laying on the ground, holding some part of his body, looking like his season is over? Almost every time he's back on the court 5-10 minutes later with hardly a limp. When any other Phoenix Suns player is laying on the court like that I freak out. When it's Marion I. hardly worry any more.

Please note that I do believe during the playoffs he was genuinely injured and played through it to help the team.

Joe

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I hope there are no issues but with the minutes he logged this year I wish he would just go home and rest until October. I hope that his minutes will get reduced so he will come out of a game every once in awhile