Marion: "My knee has been bothering me a bit. I'm going to check it out."

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
???

Marion never misses games for pain. Heck he gets destroyed in a playoff game, sits out like 4 minutes and comes back to win us a game in overtime.

Marion himself has been quoted as saying he hates pain.

Marion admittedly has a low pain threshold. “I hate pain,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/7645977

This was the first thing that came to mind when I was reading this thread. ;)

Joe Mama said:
I think that was the point actually. How many times have we seen Shawn Marion laying on the ground, holding some part of his body, looking like his season is over? Almost every time he's back on the court 5-10 minutes later with hardly a limp. When any other Phoenix Suns player is laying on the court like that I freak out. When it's Marion I. hardly worry any more.

My thought process exactly, Joe. :thumbup:

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I think that was the point actually. How many times have we seen Shawn Marion laying on the ground, holding some part of his body, looking like his season is over? Almost every time he's back on the court 5-10 minutes later with hardly a limp. When any other Phoenix Suns player is laying on the court like that I freak out. When it's Marion I. hardly worry any more.
Joe

Okay, so how come he did not stay in camp? He is leaving to come home and have the doctors look at it. Does this mean they do not have doctors with this team in case of injuries, or does this mean Marion does not like the doctors they have, or does this mean he may have some pain that is not something that will stop in a few minutes so he can play.

If Marion leaves camp and is not going back I am concerned and am not in a laughing mood about this.

This may be nothing, but Marion always plays in these events and had planned on playing in this one. For him to change his mind about playing is very unusual for him, and not the normal Marion we know.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Please. Let's poll every guy on this board and ask which he'd rather have, a Suns championship or a USA men's basketball gold medal. I'm guessing 100 percent to 0 for the Suns.

I'll tell you how little I care about USA basketball... I've actually rooted for foreign teams against us, particularly when our team had a bunch of prima donnas on it (Payton, Marbury, Iverson, etc.).

This has the potential to be a double whammy. Stoudemire was going to come back to Phoenix and round into shape, Marion was going to go to Japan. Now Marion is hurt. Stoudemire will have to take his place. Now watch as Stoudemire gets hurt, too.

How do you think Sarver feels about USA basketball right now? If he could force Marion and Stoudmire not to play, you don't think he would?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Marion hates pain, but ... amare loves it?? or Raja likes tearing his calf muscle?? I wonder if anyone on this board can really appreciate a relatively minor injury that at least temporarily hurts even more than a bad injury. A bad sprain is often worse than a break. Another reason for any player to hate pain is that it may mean not playing for a while, maybe a long while. None of these guys want to load bear on an unknown injury. Wade gets knocked down and takes his time getting up, alot. No he doesnt writhe as much as marion, but the point is made, he could be injured bad enough to miss time. In todays NBA, players run under a leaper all the time. People did not do this to jordan, they do it to marion, wade etc all the time. When Marion is "injured", its almost always the case that he came down on someones foot. Try coming down from 3' off the ground and rolling an ankle, then you can be the judge of who has a low pain threshold. Remember, the higher you jump the more energy will be applied upon landing. Also, loss of cartiledge in a joint can be very painful.

Marion has played the high flyer for a long time in a era that is not kind to the high flyer. He's played hurt and missed little time compared to ANY phoenix sun. I may not like marions contract, but he is an unbelievable asset who brings alot to the table and plays hard. I cant think of but 10-15 NBA players who play as hard as marion. It just never occurs to me to question the injuries of guys who play through the pain anyway.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to backtrack to Boston to make sure that curse thingy didn't make a cross-country trek to 201 W. Jefferson St.?

asudevil83

Reaction score
Marion won't take part in world championships
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
July 24, 2006

Suns forward Shawn Marion developed a sore left knee and will not accompany the U.S. men's basketball team to Japan for next month's world championships. “It's nothing serious, definitely no chance of an operation,” said Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, who also serves as assistant coach for the U.S. team.

Marion is still among the players that will be considered for a spot on the 2008 U.S. Olympic team, D'Antoni said.

“His knee flared up, and his body is a little worn out,” D'Antoni said.

“There are a bunch of guys who are 100 percent and ready to roll. He didn't feel he was 100 percent.”

Marion is expected to take about a month off.

Marion had been practicing with the national team in Las Vegas, which wrapped up training camp Monday.

"My knee has been bothering me a bit,” he told ESPN.com. “I sat out the last two days of practice. I just came in here and got right into it. So, I'm going to check it out (Tuesday). I'll make sure there's nothing wrong with it, rest it and take care of it.''

Marion's temporary exit trims the U.S. team's roster to 17. Two more cuts are expected to be announced today to get the roster to 15 for exhibition games that start July 31 in Las Vegas.

Seattle guard Luke Ridnour and Charlotte top pick Adam Morrison appear to be the two cuts.

The U.S. roster of 15 will include: the Suns' Amaré Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony of the Denver Nuggets, Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison of the Washington Wizards, Shane Battier of the Houston Rockets, Chris Bosh of the Toronto Raptors, Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs, Elton Brand of the Los Angeles Clippers, Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic, LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Joe Johnson of the Atlanta Hawks, Brad Miller of the Sacramento Kings, Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets, Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat and Kirk Hinrich of the Chicago Bulls.

The U.S. roster will be trimmed to 12 for the world championships, which start Aug. 19 in Japan.

a little bit of encouragement for the bleak and hopeless.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
yeah, that article has me feeling a bit better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
a little bit of encouragement for the bleak and hopeless.

That article is great news. :thumbup:

However, if the knee remains sore I would not wait until training camp to get it scoped.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Shawn Marion Cut by Team USA

The Yahoo sports story said he was one of three cuts and cited a knee injury. When did he hurt his knee and is anyone as shocked as I am that he was cut?

mribnik

Reaction score
Check out the thread entitled, "Marion: 'My knee has been bothering me a bit. I'm going to check it out.'"

It's 4 posts down. Don't worry, it happens to us all. :)

asudevil83

Reaction score
he's not cut cut from the team i believe....just the World Championships. if he's taking a month or more off then this makes sense.

he isnt disqualified from the Olympic team though.

Last edited:

Steel Sun

I hate John Paxson
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Anyone want to backtrack to Boston to make sure that curse thingy didn't make a cross-country trek to 201 W. Jefferson St.?

I know this injury stuff is getting ridiculous

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/colangeloqa_060728.html

One-on-One with Jerry Colangelo

By Steven J. Koek, Suns.com
Posted: July 28, 2006

Suns Chairman Jerry Colangelo has been anything but idle since selling the Suns a couple of years ago. Taking on the responsibilities of USA Basketball Men’s Senior Team managing director, Colangelo has vowed to recapture gold at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

After returning from the first gathering of the team in Las Vegas, Colangelo talked with Suns.com about the USA camp, the status of Shawn Marion and Amaré Stoudemire, as well as the significance of the Suns’ trip to Italy for training camp in October.

Suns.com: What was your overall impression of the USA Basketball camp in Las Vegas?

USA Basketball Men’s Senior Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo: It was a great week. We accomplished everything we set out to accomplish. It was a year in planning to have our camp site in Las Vegas. The venue, the accommodations were terrific. We had great responses from the coaching staff and players. All the organizational work that was put into the effort came to fruition and I thought we accomplished an awful lot during that first week or our camp.

We look at camp being four weeks before we actually play in Japan on August 19 and that’s just phase one.

Suns.com: What is your role at this point?

Colangelo: My role is that I have totally responsibility for the programs. So, I’ve been engaged in the entire process from soup to nuts. Sitting in on all meetings, attending all practices, all the events around the activities that go with the program. It was a very rewarding week and we’re looking forward to Week 2, if you will. We reconvene on Monday in Las Vegas.

Suns.com: How do you feel the players reacted to Coach Mike Krzyzewski and the staff?

Colangelo: The plan was to put in a new infrastructure for USA Basketball. The staff was hand-picked; starting with Coach K. Mike D'Antoni brought a lot to the table as the most experienced international coach, Nate McMillan because of his forte in terms of coaching and teaching defense, and Coach Jimmy Boeheim of Syracuse University, one of the top zone coaches in the league, both offensively and defensively. So, each coach had something they brought to the table and that’s how the practices went. Coach K assigned responsibilities. He took over the defense and Mike D'Antoni was given the offense.

The response of the players was great and we accomplished a lot during that first week.

Suns.com: Did the players respect and serious attitude of the task carry over from the enthusiasm you saw during the initial interviews?

Colangelo: The attitude could not have been better. The people we selected were picked because we felt they had character to along with talent. We weren’t let down at all. We are really pleased with the mindset we were trying to establish. We’re off to a good start. I expected that and it’s nice to see it come to fruition.

Suns.com: What is the status of Shawn Marion and his knee soreness?

Colangelo: The good news is he did not get injured. He didn’t have a collision, he didn’t go down and twist his knee; it just ached. The good news is the MRI was negative. The fact is with some rest he’ll be just fine. We’ll miss him on this team because he’s such a multi-talented guy offensively and defensively. He’ll be missed because of the skills and who he is as an individual.

But you have to take these setbacks in stride. Other people have opportunities to step up and get the job done. So, he’ll be missed, but he’ll still be a big part of this team.

Suns.com: Talk about Amaré Stoudemire’s week in Las Vegas. All reports are that he made some good progress.

Colangelo: He came a long way from informal workouts in Phoenix and then the summer league prior to our USA camp starting. He made progress each day and his last day was by far his best, and that’s very encouraging. I know Amaré’s at a place right now where he needs positive results, emotionally and mentally, to keep pushing forward. There’s nothing structurally holding him back. It’s a matter of having the confidence and playing up on competition. I knew that it would help him by participating in this camp and it did. Playing against healthy jumpers and people with strength who would contest him.

He’s not where he wants to be or where he will be. But he’s making the kind of progress that makes us very pleased.

Suns.com: After watching him at the summer league, how concerned were you, if at all, that he could have taken a step back in his progress because of the competition he was to be playing with at the USA camp?

Colangelo: I’ve been in the business for 40 years and have had a lot of experience. This is his first experience with any kind of major injury. The only way to get back to where he was is to fight through the disappointments and fight through even being embarrassed to some degree. He needs to play up, he needs to bust through some barriers so that he has the kind of confidence that he’s always played with. He’s been one of the more supreme confident players I’ve seen and that’s part of who he is. He needs to get that back.

Suns.com: Have you seen glimpses of that?

Colangelo: That’s where we are. It’s always important to be realistic. He’s come a long way. He made the 15-player list based on merit. Is he 100 percent? No, he’s not. Where will he be three weeks from now? A lot further ahead.

Everybody wants instant gratification and hear, “Amaré’s back.” Well, no, you’re not going to hear that. You’re going to hear that he’s working hard, he’s doing well, he’s getting better and making progress. We have to be patient and see where he is three weeks from now, a month from now, six months from now, and I think he’ll get better and better.

Suns.com: How difficult a process was paring the team down to the 15-man roster when you’re dealing with the best players in the world?

Colangelo: It’s always difficult when you have to make choices. It’s going to become even more difficult when we go down from our 15 to the 12 when the competition begins in Japan, but that’s what this process is all about. The good news is that we started with 24 players and all of them stay on the team. We’re not cutting anyone; we’re actually just selecting players to represent at the next competition. Next summer, we’ll reconvene. Hopefully, all 24 will be ready to come back.

If we’re successful this summer at the World Championships, next summer will just be a get together scrimmage preparation camp for a week and a half waiting for the 2008 Olympics. If we’re not successful this year in Japan and don’t win, then we have to go to the qualifying in Venezuela next summer. That would be a very busy summer and something we’re not looking forward to.

We’re going for it. We want to win this competition and establish ourselves.

Suns.com: Are you enjoying this whole process as much as it seems you are?

Colangelo: it’s been great. I jumped at the opportunity when asked to take on the responsibility. At this stage of my life, this has been a bit of a Godsend. Basketball has meant so much to me my entire life. My whole career has been in the game and I owe everything to the game. It’s an opportunity to give back and be totally engaged in an effort in basketball representing our country on an international stage. It’s been everything I thought it would be and I’m very excited to move on.

Suns.com: Another trip you’ll making is to Italy in October for the Suns’ training camp. How much are you looking forward to that?

Colangelo: Certainly, I’ve been to Italy many times. I think it’s going to be very special for Mike D'Antoni because he spent so many years there as a player and a coach. To go back to Treviso where he came from, in terms of his last job, is going to be a terrific homecoming and terrific experience for a lot of our young players.

One thing is for sure. They won’t get a bad meal.

Suns.com: How important is this in the efforts to spread the game of basketball to a global level?

Colangelo: The NBA was the leader in terms of professional sports teams to really understand the importance of the international marketplace. We’ve been out there for years developing an interest base for fan support and media support around the world. We’re pretty well established in Europe; we’ve had representation in Spain, Italy, France, England and Germany. We’ve gone to a lot of countries who hosted the McDonalds Open. We’ve had exhibition games in all of those countries.

In fact, the Suns were the first team in the NBA, along with the Utah Jazz, to play a regular season game on foreign soil. That happened in Japan in 1990.

Suns.com: What are your thoughts on the upcoming Suns season?

Colangelo: We want to be healthy, that’s for sure. Amaré is well on his way to getting back to what he was. Kurt Thomas is healthy and we missed him the better part of half the season. We’ve got some good young players and we’ve got a good mix of players. I think we’ve helped ourselves somewhat with the additions in the offseason. It could be a huge year for the Phoenix Suns. I think it’s a season our fans should be very excited about.