Marlins vs. D-backs series thread

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A propos what BC is saying about Adam Dunn, I'm buying into that now.

When we got him, I hated the deal. But Dunn really has completely changed the whole dynamic of our hitting and scoring for the better.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Phillies dominating the Dodgers again today. We should have another chance to go up three games.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Is there anyway Joe Garagiola has any clue what Sutton is talking about with Duran Duran and Michael Jacksons Thriller? He seems confused, he must be thinking "when do I get to talk about the evils of chewing tobacco"

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7-1 .... COOL!

A good win for us.... Let's hope the "Good Davis" shows up for tomorrow's game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's the plate discipline that made Adam Dunn the cleanup hitter he is. And why the D'backs have already prospered from it in a very short time.

He takes alot of pitches. 'Swings at the ones he likes, which are in the strike zone. He will have his share of strikeouts. But they are far outweighed by the gains.

Helping drive up the oppostion pitch count and letting his teammates see what the guy has, or doesn't have, that day, and not be afraid to hit with two strikes. (Something you expect from a leadoff hitter like Craig Counsell, and have not seen since.)

On base half of the time. A homerun threat all the time, taking pressure off his teammates.

All of that make all of his strikeouts much more productive than Chris Young, for example, swinging at pitches outside the strike zone or Mark Reynolds trying to hit every ball into the seats.

Or Eric Byrnes (remember him?) uppercutting every ball with his one-handed swings from his ankles to his shoulders, then looking up in the sky to follow the ball.

And, sorry to disagree with you, 82CardsGrad, but I still feel that umpires respect that and show it in their calls on borderline pitches.

Yes, I cited the most famous of them all, Teddy Baseball. It is alive and well with Adam Dunn.

As has been said recently, Manny Ramirez's numbers with LA are more dynamic, and he certainly has helped the Dodgers lineup.

But Adam Dunn has been helping the young D'backs even more. Because of the plate discipline he exhibits days after day and the respect it usually gets from the umps.

I don't believe you're trying to do this, but - are you really placing Dunn in the same stratosphere with Ted Williams?? Dunn has a career .380 OBP - not shabby at all... Williams had a career .480!!!! Incredible... Ted averaged close to 150 walks per season... Dunn is about 100 per - again, not shabby at all. But Williams-like?? C'mon man...
Dunn is nowhere near deserving of any calls from umps... Doesn't matter anyway 'cause it doesn't happen any longer...

All that said, Dunn has been a tremendous addition to the D-backs thus far... He is a very disciplined hitter for sure. Just imagine if the D-backs had a more traditional centerfielder as well!!!! ;)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Davis will be pitching with a stiff back tomorrow....hes bad enough as it is, we cant afford to have him playing injured

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i wish the marlins had that petit - but at least they wrestled jorge julio of the d'back for him...........

very solid all around game by the snakes tonight - my boys just didn't have it going

with the way the marlins free swing davis doesn't have to be good, just careful tommorrow

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
its good to see that maybe chris young is starting to come around! great game from him! Also what an amazing play by reynolds. If the diving stop wasnt good enough for you he through a bouncing ball to first for the out! whatta play!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is there anyway Joe Garagiola has any clue what Sutton is talking about with Duran Duran and Michael Jacksons Thriller? He seems confused, he must be thinking "when do I get to talk about the evils of chewing tobacco"
There is a generation gap.

But Joe Garagiola's stories give insight into the evolution of the game. And part of baseball's appeal is its history. Probably more than any other major sport.

At least it puts a skid on Daron beating his jokes into the ground, repeating them 10 or 20 times, versus once or twice.

Imagine if Jay Leno did that. Timing is everything.

Baseball is the slowest moving sport, compared to basketball, soccer and hockey. Football is the next slowest.

But there are entertaining ways to fill the gaps and there are boring ways to do it. Sutton and Grace are boring.

Such as "car", "shoes" and all the self promoting. I wonder if they rehearse their routines? "OK, I'm going to mention your name 112 times tonight. Will you do the same for me?"

Or "I'm going to nickname 4 players 'shoes' tonight."

Or "I'm not going to tell the audience about two relievers brought in the game, three pinch-hitters or a double-switch."

TJ

Reaction score
\\
But there are entertaining ways to fill the gaps and there are boring ways to do it. Sutton and Grace are boring.

Such as "car", "shoes" and all the self promoting. I wonder if they rehearse their routines? "OK, I'm going to mention your name 112 times tonight. Will you do the same for me?"

Or "I'm going to nickname 4 players 'shoes' tonight."

Or "I'm not going to tell the audience about two relievers brought in the game, three pinch-hitters or a double-switch."

Which is why every broadcaster should take notes from Vin Scully. He does his research before every game and can tell the audience about every player on the opposition. Gives the Dodger fans an idea what they are up against.

The D-Backs just have a couple of clowns in the audience. Maybe thats what upper management thinks they need to sustain TV ratings. Maybe they think that having that quality, intelligent broadcasters will drive the AZ market away. What do I know? I just pay attention to the action as opposed to what those ding-dongs say

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL!!

I think Mark Grace would have been a better fit for 80's night...

(but I'm pro Sutton/Grace anyway, so....)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Co-Jack doubles, Dunn moves him to second, Clark walks, Reynolds K's to end inning.

Nolasco threw 30 pitches in the first...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis gives up doubles to Gonzo and the freaking pitcher to give the fish the lead back, 2-1 after 2

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And even worse, the Snyder/Ojeda/Davis let Nolasco get through the inning with only 5 pitches.

TJ

Reaction score
Cant blame Davis for only having one run on his side going into the 5th. He already has 6 ks. As Sutton would say "we need some runs!"

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might make me a bad person for saying this, but dang I can't stand the Kid-Kaster days. I have to mute it every.single.time. And I love kids. :|

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bats have gone silent. Only 1 hit since Drew's lead off Homer, no hits since the first. Nolasco has set down 13 in a row.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew gets a run back with double, advances and scores on ground-outs by Young and Jackson.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nolasco strikes out the side in the 7th. 3-2 Fish after 7

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the HELL do you use Burke as a pinch-hitter when you have the very hot Miguel Montero on the bench?????

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the HELL do you use Burke as a pinch-hitter when you have the very hot Miguel Montero on the bench?????
Because every manager in the league avoids burning up their backup catcher in case of emergency.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05