Marshall sent to D-League

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only reason hes in the D league is because there isnt an F league.

I honestly dont know how he made it into the NBA anymore. He sucks at everything.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason hes in the D league is because there isnt an F league.

I honestly dont know how he made it into the NBA anymore. He sucks at everything.

Not even close. He is lacking in two incredibly important areas but he excels at many other aspects of his position. If he can learn to consistently hit the mid and long range jumper he'd actually be a pretty decent all around point guard. His lack of foot speed will always hinder him but he has some moves, great vision and is an excellent passer.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And I thought Alando Tucker was unimpressive. We may never see this guy again.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tucker was a forward in a guards body. I don't think he has a chance of adapting his game at all, especially at this level.

Marshall still has a chance. He definitely needs to make shots. his vision is there, that's just something he has naturally. Luckily the shooting can be improved upon through practice.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on Marshall either, but I think we should have drafted for a different position, or, if he was best-talent-available, then we just got unlucky.

Dragic and Telfair are great at the point, so we should rather have gone for a wing or an inside player. I don't know why they didn't opt for this. Looking at the actual draft, there's not much behind Marshall. Maybe Evan Fournier will be good. Anyway I hope Dragic and Telfair stays on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. A first round pick can't get higher than third on the pg depth chart. He might even be 4th. He has not yet scored. If he has an NBA future it is not with this team.

I know its early but there cannot be much hope that Marshall has a future here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. A first round pick can't get higher than third on the pg depth chart. He might even be 4th. He has not yet scored. If he has an NBA future it is not with this team.

Marshall scored 7 points against the Pistons.

I'm not high on Marshall but I'm not writing him off either. At the beginning of summer league he was terrible and seemed unable to adapt to the speed of the game. By the end of summer league and during limited minutes this season he seems to have adjusted to the speed of the game. In the future I think he will be able to run a team as a passer and play good position defense. Of course, a PG needs to be able to hit shots to keep opponents honest but I believe he can develop a shot of some sorts. We will see.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hold the same opinion of the guy today that I did a week before the draft. I don't consider him a bust but I would not have picked the guy. I've seen nothing so far that would cause me to either believe in him or give up on him. His strengths and weaknesses are apparent and they are the same attributes he possessed when they drafted him so I can't imagine they're anywhere near ready to give up on him.

BTW, his first points in the NBA came on a line-drive shot from distance (a 3 IIRC). How that ball went in is beyond me, talk about no margin for error.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Bakersfield Jam's current PG is 6-3 Jerel McNeal, who in three games with the team averaged 16.0 ppg, 6.3 ast, 2.0 stl, 3.0 reb in 28 mpg. He's in his second D-League season. Assuming that Marshall gets inserted into the starting lineup, he really needs to better those numbers, especially the assists. He may not be NBA ready, but he should be D-League ready. If not, the Suns might as well call up that McNeal guy instead and leave Marshall in the D-League for good.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marshall shooting 2-10, 5 rebounds and 7 assists along with 6 turnovers in the game vs the Reno Bighorns.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121207/BAKRNO/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200039

I knew this guy was going to suck. I have been bi**hing and whining about this pick since he was selected in June by us. A horrible, horrible selection.

If we didn't draft him, we could have maybe acquired a 2nd rd pick or signed him as a undrafted free agent.

Just like Phrazbit knew that Beasley would suck right when we signed him and has bi**ched and moaned about him, I have done the exact same about Marshall.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marshall shooting 2-10, 5 rebounds and 7 assists along with 6 turnovers in the game vs the Reno Bighorns.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121207/BAKRNO/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021200039

I knew this guy was going to suck. I have been bi**hing and whining about this pick since he was selected in June by us. A horrible, horrible selection.

If we didn't draft him, we could have maybe acquired a 2nd rd pick or signed him as a undrafted free agent.

Just like Phrazbit knew that Beasley would suck right when we signed him and has bi**ched and moaned about him, I have done the exact same about Marshall.

Awesome, you deserve a cookie.

Where were you when Marshall put up 20+/10+ in the Dleague?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has a better chance of being a star than you have of hitting the lottery. :)

I'd make the trip if for nothing else, watching potential NBA players develop. If I a had a team close to my home, I'd go. Where else can you get close to players that may be in the NBA? IMO, the heart of professional basketball beats strongest there. I used to attend Suns training camps before they ever went to summer league. It was some of the most enjoyable moments of my life.
I have gone to Jam games before and they are extremely boring. There are people who complain about barely any defense being played in the NBA....I wish those people would go see D-League games. It would probably blow their mind.
i'd still get an autograph
Eh I just really don't like Marshall. I don't like him as a player and I don't like his personality. I remember one of his first tweets after he arrived in Phoenix was a video and it seemed to me like in the video that he hated being drafted by us and seemed like he was stuck with us.

I wasn't a big fan when he was at NC State.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gone to Jam games before and they are extremely boring. There are people who complain about barely any defense being played in the NBA....I wish those people would go see D-League games. It would probably blow their mind.

Eh I just really don't like Marshall. I don't like him as a player and I don't like his personality. I remember one of his first tweets after he arrived in Phoenix was a video and it seemed to me like in the video that he hated being drafted by us and seemed like he was stuck with us.

I wasn't a big fan when he was at NC State.

I'm pretty sure he was a Tar Heel (UNC).

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The fact that he was busy tweeting instead of watching his team play is pretty telling imo.

Plus 3 bad games in the dleague in a row after a very good debut.

Too bad... I was never high on Marshall, though expected him to be drafted by some team before we did... but I also thought he would surely be a servicable roleplayer PG in the league at least. He might still develop into that but who knows..

Tony Wroten is who I wanted, looked very good in summer league but can't get playing time on a very good and deep Memphis team now. He might be starting for us at the 2 had we drafted him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

As a Suns lottery pick, it is downright disturbing how poorly point guard Kendall Marshall is playing for Bakersfield of the D-League.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall is looking more and more like a wasted draft pick even by D-League standards. Here is a tidbit from a Paul Coro article at azcentral dated 12-13-12.

Through five D-League games, rookie point guard Kendall Marshall is shooting 32 percent from the field (20 percent on 3-pointers) and averaging 6.4 assists and 3.8 turnovers. In the past three games, Marshall shot 24 percent and had 14 assists and 15 turnovers. Friday night, Bakersfield plays Tulsa.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...cola-back-starting-lineup.html?nclick_check=1

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depressing...

We desperately need new scouts and player personnel people. Orlando and Charlotte are the only teams in the league I can think of that have been more regularly botching virtually every signing, trade, pick and transaction than the Suns have over the last few years.

I think I heard this was a contract year for the "Blabbys"... please god tell me its true.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's probably not a good thing that Marshall's D-League struggles are getting league-wide attention. Whatever trade value he might have kept as a lottery pick is probably gone now. The Suns might be soon regretting sending him down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably not a good thing that Marshall's D-League struggles are getting league-wide attention. Whatever trade value he might have kept as a lottery pick is probably gone now. The Suns might be soon regretting sending him down.

I don't imagine he had much trade value to begin with but you're right, whatever he had is long gone.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Kendall Marshall looked like a good pick at the time. I don't see any "can't misses" after Marshall either so it doesn't matter. Onto the next draft!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kendall Marshall looked like a good pick at the time. I don't see any "can't misses" after Marshall either so it doesn't matter. Onto the next draft!

But that's the thing, to most of us that follow college basketball he didn't look like a good pick at the time. I'm surprised by some of the negatives I've recently heard about him (work ethic etc) but his lack of foot speed and his inability to shoot the ball were well known. I really thought he was the kind of player that you might invite to summer camp, I never expected him to be drafted in the teens.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Too bad... I was never high on Marshall, though expected him to be drafted by some team before we did... but I also thought he would surely be a servicable roleplayer PG in the league at least. He might still develop into that but who knows..

June 29th, 2012, 06:10 AM by slinslin
"Jason Kidd has done well in the least 5 years as has Andre Miller and Mark Jackson years ago.

Kendall Marshall is a much better shooter than what he gets credit for. Worst case he will be a player as good as Jason Kidd during the Mavs championship run. Good enough to be a starter in the NBA.

PG defense is one of the least impactful things in basketball since even the PGs that are perceived as good defenders barely if at all do better against the top PGs in the league."

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marshall was always going to be a top 20 pick.

He was the best player on a top college team and close to leading the NCAA in assists as a soph.

There was very little risk associated to him as prospect. He is not athletic but a great passer and very intelligent. You were looking at Andre Miller/ Mark Jackson best case but worst case it seemed Marshall would at least be a solid PG for years to come.

And despite how poorly things have gone so far Marshall is not done yet anyway he can still be a very solid PG.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall was always going to be a top 20 pick.

He was the best player on a top college team and close to leading the NCAA in assists as a soph.

There was very little risk associated to him as prospect. He is not athletic but a great passer and very intelligent. You were looking at Andre Miller/ Mark Jackson best case but worst case it seemed Marshall would at least be a solid PG for years to come.

And despite how poorly things have gone so far Marshall is not done yet anyway he can still be a very solid PG.

Not even close. He might have been the least replaceable player on that team especially given the point of the season he went down but he was far from being the best player on that team. He was projected to go anywhere from mid-teens to undrafted IIRC. And, unlike Andre Miller and to a lesser extent Mark Jackson, he was a poor shooter. Slow footed point guards occasionally succeed but not often and not at all if they can't hit a wide open shot from mid-range or deeper.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
June 29th, 2012, 06:10 AM by slinslin
"Jason Kidd has done well in the least 5 years as has Andre Miller and Mark Jackson years ago.

Kendall Marshall is a much better shooter than what he gets credit for. Worst case he will be a player as good as Jason Kidd during the Mavs championship run. Good enough to be a starter in the NBA.

PG defense is one of the least impactful things in basketball since even the PGs that are perceived as good defenders barely if at all do better against the top PGs in the league."

nice

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05