Matt Morris

Fannatick

Reaction score
What about the idea of getting Matt Morris? I know he's coming off injury but I would take a chance on him. He would be relatively cheap and could be a solid 1 or 2 for us. He's basically the best FA pitcher out there besides Burnett (which I dont think we could get). I would love to get Morris and I think the Dbacks should look into getting him.

David

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting the Morris of the 2001 playoffs. The Morris of recent years has been average whenever I've seen him.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
ESPN.com rumor mill:
A pitch for Morris
Nov 23 - The pitching-starved Rangers plan to offer veteran right-hander Matt Morris a contract -- likely two years -- this week, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

It'll be interesting to see what the Rangers offer Morris and what other teams get involved. I'm not sure about him. He put up decent #'s- 4.1 ERA, 120 KO's, and a 1.28 WHIP to go with a 14-10 record. My question with him is his age (31), 22 homers given up in '05(which will def increase if at BOB), and whether him playing on a good offensive team such as the cardinals helped his stats (not as much pressure). He's gonna be too expensive IMO and he has Russ Ortiz Jr. written all over him. I'd stay away.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
Matt Morris and the dback almost got in a fight on the 4th of july game . You remember Cruz Jr. at bat and Green suposly relaying signs to Cruz. I realy dont see Morris wanting to come here.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I remember that well. Cruz's tail went between his legs and he crawled back into the dugout. God that guy sucked. Morris was a prick about it and Green and Cruz should have beat the crap outta him. That situation wouldn't keep Morris away from AZ though. If you wave money in front of their face you'd be amazed at how quickly they forget about the little things. Plus, that wasn't that big of a deal- it didn't lead to a brawl, just an exchange of words. Look at Mark Grace when he was with the Cubs. I think it was a year or two before we won our world series and the Cubs were in town. BH Kim was relieving for us and something flew out of his glove. Grace immediately ran onto the field and confronted Kim while the benches cleared. A brawl didn't break out but Grace was clearly pissed and made some strong comments after the game towards Kim and the Dbacks (accused Kim of doctoring the ball and the Dbacks knowing about it and turning their heads). Who signed that offseason?? Mark Grace and we all loved him

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think Matt Morris is really over rated, he's never impressed me much.

OP
OP
F

Fannatick

Reaction score
HooverDam said:
I think Matt Morris is really over rated, he's never impressed me much.

I dont see how Matt Morris cant impress you? He's a work horse, in his last 5 years he's pitched over 170 IP every year. The guys career ERA is 3.61 and he's 101-62 in W-L. I think thats pretty good. I know he's coming off injury but if we overpaid for Russ Ortiz I think we should overpay for Matt Morris. He's a good pitcher and could be a steal for us. Plus he's a ground ball pitcher which would work out well at Chase Park.
David

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Fannatick said:
I dont see how Matt Morris cant impress you? He's a work horse, in his last 5 years he's pitched over 170 IP every year. The guys career ERA is 3.61 and he's 101-62 in W-L. I think thats pretty good. I know he's coming off injury but if we overpaid for Russ Ortiz I think we should overpay for Matt Morris. He's a good pitcher and could be a steal for us. Plus he's a ground ball pitcher which would work out well at Chase Park.
David

but if we overpaid for Russ Ortiz I think we should overpay for Matt Morris
So lets dig ourselves further in a hole and screw ourselves for the next 3 years. Why would you want to make the same mistake of signing a extremely overrated player????? Thats the most insane statement I've ever read.

Plus he's a ground ball pitcher which would work out well at Chase Park.

The 22 home runs he gave last year prove otherwise.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Fannatick, everyone here is being nice. Morris is the last thing this team needs, and anyone who understood the Diamondbacks would understand why he isn't a good option. Beyond the fact that he is going to be overpaid by an outrageous amount, he has had some injury concerns, beyond many other concerns. I would hope a semi-sabermatrician would be able to evaluate the real value of a player such as Morris, and come up with the right choice.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue
Dec 1 - According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Matt Morris' agent believes the Cardinals' interest in re-signing his client is dependent on other pursuits. "I've talked to [GM Walt Jocketty] about Matt and [free agent Mark Sweeney], and as with other teams, Walt has his pace for these things," Barry Axelrod told the newspaper. "It's an approach that is tried and true. ... You can't argue with the results."

The Rangers have made a formal two-year offer to Morris, one of two offers Morris has received. San Francisco also is wooing the right-hander, and the Dodgers are expected to get involved now that their front office is more set. According to The Seattle Times, Morris's agent said Mariners GM Bill Bavasi called him this week. Esteban Loiaza's three-year, $21 million deal with Oakland could help set the cost of Morris, who made $6.25 million total last season after incentives were added to a $2.5 million guarantee.

It looks like a minimum of 7 mill per season. NO WAY! A horrible fit for this team

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05