Mayock rips McFadden

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking about this on today's show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/04/analyst-praises-ryan-rips-mcfa.html

Analyst praises Ryan, rips McFadden

In a conference call today with reporters, Mike Mayock, the NFL Network’s draft analyst, made some very interesting comments pertaining to the Jets, who own the sixth overall pick.

Mayock, one of the most respected talent evaluators in the business, made it very clear that he’s no fan of Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. He believes the Jets should take Boston College QB Matt Ryan, whom he compared to Peyton Manning.

Some in the media have dismissed the idea of the Jets taking Ryan, but I’m telling you, it’s not out of the realm of possibility, depending on who’s still on the board. Mayock threw out this nugget: “The Jets have shown more interest in Matt Ryan than people want to acknowledge.”

Take it from Mayock; he should know. He’s a former BC defensive back with close ties to Ryan. That may cloud his opinion of Ryan’s potential, but it also allows him to be privy to inside information others might not get. From all indications, the Jets haven’t invited Ryan to their complex for a pre-draft meeting, but that doesn’t mean they’re not interested. The Jets were in Boston recently and put him through an extensive private workout.

“I don’t throw out this name lightly, but he reminds me of Peyton Manning in terms of emotional toughness,” said Mayock, who also believes Ryan’s arm is strong enough to cut through the nasty winds of the Meadowlands.

As for McFadden, Mayock all but trashed him, saying, “I’m not a believer in Darren McFadden.” Mayock rates Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall as the best running back in the draft.

“My problem with McFadden, aside from his off-the-field issue, is his narrow-framed lower body,” Mayock said. “I think he goes down way too easy on contact. His legs go dead on contact … If I’m picking in the top five, top 10, I want a running back who can go through an arm tackle.”

Referring to the off-the-field concerns (two bar fights and paternity issues), Mayock said, “I don’t think the Jets can afford to take him … I don’t think he’d survive in New York.”

By Rich Cimini on April 16, 2008 2:30 PM

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he winds up on a team with a "decent" OL....talk to me in December about his performance. Ya' think that would an issue if we had a shot at him???

Reaction score
I am not claiming that McFadden will bust, but I agree with Mayock that Mendenhall is the best RB prospect from this years draft.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I said from the beginning that mcfadden dosent have a NFL body. I feel bad for the team who picks him in the top 10. He will never be a every down RB. He is a gimmick guy just like all those Florida QB's.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did Mayock say about Peterson last year?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking about this on today's show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/04/analyst-praises-ryan-rips-mcfa.html

Analyst praises Ryan, rips McFadden

In a conference call today with reporters, Mike Mayock, the NFL Network’s draft analyst, made some very interesting comments pertaining to the Jets, who own the sixth overall pick.

Mayock, one of the most respected talent evaluators in the business, made it very clear that he’s no fan of Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. He believes the Jets should take Boston College QB Matt Ryan, whom he compared to Peyton Manning.

Some in the media have dismissed the idea of the Jets taking Ryan, but I’m telling you, it’s not out of the realm of possibility, depending on who’s still on the board. Mayock threw out this nugget: “The Jets have shown more interest in Matt Ryan than people want to acknowledge.”

Take it from Mayock; he should know. He’s a former BC defensive back with close ties to Ryan. That may cloud his opinion of Ryan’s potential, but it also allows him to be privy to inside information others might not get. From all indications, the Jets haven’t invited Ryan to their complex for a pre-draft meeting, but that doesn’t mean they’re not interested. The Jets were in Boston recently and put him through an extensive private workout.

“I don’t throw out this name lightly, but he reminds me of Peyton Manning in terms of emotional toughness,” said Mayock, who also believes Ryan’s arm is strong enough to cut through the nasty winds of the Meadowlands.

As for McFadden, Mayock all but trashed him, saying, “I’m not a believer in Darren McFadden.” Mayock rates Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall as the best running back in the draft.

“My problem with McFadden, aside from his off-the-field issue, is his narrow-framed lower body,” Mayock said. “I think he goes down way too easy on contact. His legs go dead on contact … If I’m picking in the top five, top 10, I want a running back who can go through an arm tackle.”

Referring to the off-the-field concerns (two bar fights and paternity issues), Mayock said, “I don’t think the Jets can afford to take him … I don’t think he’d survive in New York.”

By Rich Cimini on April 16, 2008 2:30 PM

Mel Kipper still has McFadden as the best player in the draft. Comparing him to any QB in the draft I would say that McFadden will be an immedate starter and impact player. Any of the #1 QB's could fall on their keister.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually agree with a lot of what Mayock says, but I don't on this one. I heard him say a lot of the same stuff on the "Path to the Draft" last night. First of all, McFadden is not some wussy who gets knocked down by arm tackles. The guy put up HUGE numbers in the SEC, going against the most athletic and physical defenses. Those defenses were geared up to stop him every single game because Arkansas was maybe the worst passing team in the nation over the time he was there. They literally had "Dick" for quarterback.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually agree with a lot of what Mayock says, but I don't on this one. I heard him say a lot of the same stuff on the "Path to the Draft" last night. First of all, McFadden is not some wussy who gets knocked down by arm tackles. The guy put up HUGE numbers in the SEC, going against the most athletic and physical defenses. Those defenses were geared up to stop him every single game because Arkansas was maybe the worst passing team in the nation over the time he was there. They literally had "Dick" for quarterback.

Huh?? I didn't know my brother could play QB.:D

pogoowner

Reaction score
I agree with Mayock. McFadden's a chicken-legged speed back who will never be able to carry the load in the NFL. Worth having, along with another back, but not worth a top draft pick.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah. Chicken-legged can be good. Lived in Africa 17 years and never saw anything catch an ostrich.

Saw a skinny-legged giraffe kick two adult female lions to death, defending her baby.

1500 lb horses run like the wind on 8' circumference cannon bones.

RB Ricky Waters was all, had a big torso and skinny chicken legs and was a tough inside runner.

When I've watched McFadden, he has looked very good. He passes my eyeball test. The character concern stuff is real, I think and would make me hire a good private detective firm to check him out.

Without being able to prove it, I suspect Arkansas has been successfully squashing and/or containing problems with him.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bah. Chicken-legged can be good. Lived in Africa 17 years and never saw anything catch an ostrich.

Saw a skinny-legged giraffe kick two adult female lions to death, defending her baby.

1500 lb horses run like the wind on 8' circumference cannon bones.

RB Ricky Waters was tall, had a big torso and skinny chicken legs and was a tough inside runner.

Wait a second...this post begs one really, really huge question: how do you know how tall Ricky Waters was :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McFADDEN Will be an absolute beast in the NFL. Mayock has noodles in his brain!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with Mayock. McFadden's a chicken-legged speed back who will never be able to carry the load in the NFL. Worth having, along with another back, but not worth a top draft pick.

I do not think I ever saw McFadden ever face anything less than a 8 man front in the SEC. We had zero passing game. Opponents still could not stop him from gaining around 1700 yds this past season while his running mate gained over a 1000 yds. Last guy to gain over 1000 yds in his first three seasons since Hershel Walker. Two time Doak Walker winner as best RB in the nation. Two time runner up in the Heisman. Threw for around 320 yards passing. All SEC, All American. This guy is likely to be the impact player coming out of the draft. His legs are not spindles. He does not run out of bounds but instead lays a hit on defenders. He is also a strong kickoff returner. You must not have seen this guy play. I think he gained over 300 yds agains LSU who was geared to do nothing but stop him and they were eventual champions. He will be long gone when we draft. Kiper has him as the best player in the draft.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I like, and agree with, a lot of what Mayock says but this year he seems to be way too enthusiastic about Ryan and pretty harsh on McFadden. The video breakdown he used when analyzing McFadden was kind of compelling but I'm very curious to see how a few of these guys that he's talking about actually work out. I give him credit for giving actual opinions rather than just riding the fence but if McFadden tears it up and/or Ryan flops it won't do much for Mayock's reputation.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Mayock IMO is the best draft guy out there and he is the only reason i watch the NFLN Draft coverage instead of ESPN. He is right a lot more than wrong and i happen to agree with his assesments but we will see.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I do not think I ever saw McFadden ever face anything less than a 8 man front in the SEC. We had zero passing game. Opponents still could not stop him from gaining around 1700 yds this past season while his running mate gained over a 1000 yds. Last guy to gain over 1000 yds in his first three seasons since Hershel Walker. Two time Doak Walker winner as best RB in the nation. Two time runner up in the Heisman. Threw for around 320 yards passing. All SEC, All American. This guy is likely to be the impact player coming out of the draft. His legs are not spindles. He does not run out of bounds but instead lays a hit on defenders. He is also a strong kickoff returner. You must not have seen this guy play. I think he gained over 300 yds agains LSU who was geared to do nothing but stop him and they were eventual champions. He will be long gone when we draft. Kiper has him as the best player in the draft.
all points known and taken here. I think sometimes these guys just have to run with their opinions. that's their job. but sometimes they get stuck on one or two negative aspects and make things more difficult than they need to be. on the flip side how many players do you see that don't have a lot of skins on the wall....or have a lot of doubt as far as the draft goes..... then they go have a good combine and the same analysts overrate them? last year many people were critical of AD and were very negative about his weak bodyframe and durability.....eventhough he is more of a contact guy. what I look at is what this guy did on the field in against the best and fastest defensive teams in the nation. the reason mcfadden is getting drafted will not be because of his jerome bettis ability to break a tackle. it is because of his great vision and uncanny acceleration abilities. the guy kind of reminds me of dorsett.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I got this from nfl.com mayocks top RB prospects of 2006:

Running Back

1. Reggie Bush, USC
2. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
3. DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
4. LenDale White, USC
5. Joseph Addai, LSU
6. Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin
7. Maurice Drew, UCLA

I'd assume he felt reggie bush was the top player because of his game changing speed and ability to hit a home run ball from anywhere on the field. unless he was just amazed by bush's highlight reel like the rest of us.....many of those crazy highlights against weaker CFB programs BTW as well. but that's neither here nor there. bush was a high prospect for obvious reasons. but why is he doing this with mcfadden? his speed and game breaking abilities is similiar to that of bush and he did it against teams noted for their defensive abilities to include speed. I could of found plenty of negatives about bush....but does that drop him out of the top 10 value? where's marion barber on there though? joke

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this from nfl.com mayocks top RB prospects of 2006:

Running Back

1. Reggie Bush, USC
2. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
3. DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
4. LenDale White, USC
5. Joseph Addai, LSU
6. Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin
7. Maurice Drew, UCLA

I'd assume he felt reggie bush was the top player because of his game changing speed and ability to hit a home run ball from anywhere on the field. unless he was just amazed by bush's highlight reel like the rest of us.....many of those crazy highlights against weaker CFB programs BTW as well. but that's neither here nor there. bush was a high prospect for obvious reasons. but why is he doing this with mcfadden? his speed and game breaking abilities is similiar to that of bush and he did it against teams noted for their defensive abilities to include speed. I could of found plenty of negatives about bush....but does that drop him out of the top 10 value? where's marion barber on there though? joke

That shows you he's about 50/50 on his evaluations, just like the rest of the world. He just presents his viewpoint in an interesting way.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, by the way, I still wouldn't touch McFadden because I think he is not capable of staying out of trouble.

The NFL is not Arkansas, where everything a star athlete does wrong is covered up, hidden or just ignored. Mostly covered up.

Can I back this up? Nope.

Stout

Reaction score
And, by the way, I still wouldn't touch McFadden because I think he is not capable of staying out of trouble.

The NFL is not Arkansas, where everything a star athlete does wrong is covered up, hidden or just ignored. Mostly covered up.

Can I back this up? Nope.

Thanks for admitting that. I'm glad psychic analysis and/or scrying into a crystal ball isn't part of our draft strategy.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for admitting that. I'm glad psychic analysis and/or scrying into a crystal ball isn't part of our draft strategy.

Brandon, if McFadden played for joepa, I would never even question the guy's off field activities because Joe would never cover for an athlete. Ever. Character matters to him. So does teaching young men.

There is enough white noise around mcFadden at Arkansas to scare me away. No apologies from me about that.

Stout

Reaction score
Brandon, if McFadden played for joepa, I would never even question the guy's off field activities because Joe would never cover for an athlete. Ever. Character matters to him. So does teaching young men.

There is enough white noise around mcFadden at Arkansas to scare me away. No apologies from me about that.

Hey, fair enough. I like Kevin Smith because I like the writer/director/actor Kevin Smith :D Takes all kinds.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05