joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
McCown gets starting nod
Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 26, 2005

advertisement

The Cardinals announced Wednesday that Josh McCown will be their starting quarterback at Dallas this Sunday.

"It (hiding who the starting quarterback will be) was just a tactic that we used last week but we don't feel like we need to use it this week," McCown said. "I'm up this week and I'm going to preapre as hard as I can and play as hard as I can."

McCown holds off Kurt Warner, who began practicing at full speed last week after missing the last three games because of a right groin tear. McCown has started all eight games the Cardinals have won since 2004.

This season, McCown has completed 88 of 152 passes (57.5 percent) for 1,072 yards with five touchdowns and six interceptions.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh McCown said:
"It (hiding who the starting quarterback will be) was just a tactic that we used last week but we don't feel like we need to use it this week," McCown said. "Pretty much it was a silly idea that had no effect on how the Titans played us. Just Denny being Denny."

;)

A-Bomb

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cardsfan22 said:
This is the make or break game for Josh. Lets see how he does

Go. Cards

I agree this is make or break for McCown.

It should answer my questions about him being able to read defenses and getting rid of the ball effectively. From what I have seen the last couple of weeks, my guess is that he will struggle against a defense like this.

Our only hope is that he doen't make a huge mistake that allows the Cowboys to score on a Turnover or gives them amazing field position.

Come on Josh! Use your head! You don't have to make a play on every down. Field position is important! Throw the ball away if you have to.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and the cardinals lose before they even take the field! (not that they weren't gonna lose with warner at qb as an alternative). man do we suck again. sigh . . .

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I agree this is make or break for McCown.

It should answer my questions about him being able to read defenses and getting rid of the ball effectively. From what I have seen the last couple of weeks, my guess is that he will struggle against a defense like this.

Our only hope is that he doen't make a huge mistake that allows the Cowboys to score on a Turnover or gives them amazing field position.

Come on Josh! Use your head! You don't have to make a play on every down. Field position is important! Throw the ball away if you have to.

:raccoon:

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
What game isn't a make or break game for McCown? I swear I've heard that phrase before everyone of his starts since about the 3rd game of the year last year.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
How come every game Josh starts is a make or break game?....lol

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
From what I have seen the last couple of weeks, my guess is that he will struggle against a defense like this.

McNabb struggled against this defense, however Tim Rattay did pretty well.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
How come every game Josh starts is a make or break game?....lol

Because it is. He's a tease, showing flashes of good, then bad. He needs to grab the job by the throat or become a career backup.

And I'm a McCown supporter.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Because it is. He's a tease, showing flashes of good, then bad. He needs to grab the job by the throat or become a career backup.

Amen.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Well put. I think most Cardinal fans want to see Josh suceed. However based on his last couple performances he hasn't exactly inspired.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
and the cardinals lose before they even take the field! (not that they weren't gonna lose with warner at qb as an alternative). man do we suck again. sigh . . .

No doubt. If you begin to think you're wrong just go read the offensive play by play from the Titans game. Take some Emetrol first.

How in the world did the Cards win that game?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I would have more faith if not for earlier this season. Josh has had a chance to prove himself. I felt this way at the end of that Carolina game twice, and not only did he fail to take advantage, he looked a little listless. If he really has improved as much as we all think he has from last year, he will make plays to win this game.

These are the kind of games that the nation will stand up and notice propelling Josh to a big contract somewhere. So if he can do it, he will step up and do it here. He's had too long an audition and time is running out.....

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
McCown Remains Starter In His Return to Home State

The Arizona Cardinals returned to the practice field Wednesday, October 26th for a midday practice in full pads. The team is preparing to take on a very physical Dallas Cowboys squad this Sunday at Texas Stadium.

“I think it is going to be a defensive game,” commented Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green following practice. “A low scoring game clearly favors the underdog and we are the underdog. We look forward to going down there for the game. It is a great place to play.”

The Cardinals announced today that quarterback Josh McCown will remain the starter when he returns to his home state of Texas this weekend.

“I’m excited about going back home to Texas, plus my wife is from Dallas,” added McCown. “I’m going to be able to see our families and for me growing up there I always enjoyed watching the Cowboys. As a kid growing up in Texas you dream about playing for the Cowboys but I guess the next best thing is to go to Texas Stadium and play against the Cowboys so I’m looking forward to it.

McCown traveled with the team to Dallas two seasons ago as the back up to quarterback Jeff Blake, but is looking forward to his opportunity to start this Sunday.

“I got excited when I was there a couple of years ago when I was the back up,” admitted McCown. “I just got excited just being there, so now going in as the starter it will be different. You have to just check your emotions and not get too excited. It is still a football game and you have to go out there and execute.”

The Cards offense will face a tough challenge against an aggressive Cowboys defense that is stacked with talented players and that has played well in a competitive NFC East division.

“They are playing at a very high level,” added McCown. “With their front seven they do a good job moving around. (La’Roi) Glover does a good job inside. (Demarcus) Ware has really come on for them as a rookie. He doesn’t really even look like a rookie and he’s doing a good job for them. Then their secondary has Roy Williams holding it down at the safety position, as well as Keith Davis who I played college ball with. Their defense is one of the better ones in the league.”

In order to have success this weekend, McCown knows the Cards must play mistake free football.

“You just have to play smart football,” confirmed the former Sam Houston State quarterback. “When you can play smart football you can give yourself a chance to win especially when you are playing a good defense like Dallas. So that is our plan, to go out and play smart against them.”

Injury Update
LB Karlos Dansby Knees Probable
CB Eric Green Shoulder Probable
FB Harold Morrow Ankle Probable
CB Antrel Rolle Knee Out
T Oliver Ross Hand Out
KR Reggie Swinton Toe Probable
T Fred Wakefield Ankle Probable
QB Kurt Warner Groin Probable

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=3167

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good to see Denny stick with someone instead of all the chaos of switching around. If McCown performs well on Sunday and they get the win, he should remain starter for the rest of the season. Maybe knowing he is the starter now he will focus and not be looking over his shoulder. One would have to think he was thinking about getting yanked every time something did not get right. Would be hard to get things rolling if your constantly wondering. Just a thought anyways go cards hope he busts out another big game passing since we know our running game is not gonna do much. If our D holds up and we can put up 21 I say we win a close one maybe 21-14.

GO CARDS!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05