McCown gets Starting Nod....Up on Az central now

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Good to see Denny stick with someone instead of all the chaos of switching around. If McCown performs well on Sunday and they get the win, he should remain starter for the rest of the season. Maybe knowing he is the starter now he will focus and not be looking over his shoulder. One would have to think he was thinking about getting yanked every time something did not get right. Would be hard to get things rolling if your constantly wondering. Just a thought anyways go cards hope he busts out another big game passing since we know our running game is not gonna do much. If our D holds up and we can put up 21 I say we win a close one maybe 21-14.

GO CARDS!!

21?? I guess if Rackers gets another eecord and hits 7 FG's. This isn't the Titans or the 9ers...I hate the Cowchunks but they're D is good and gettin better and gonna have a feast on our O-line..Josh is gonna do alot of running. We get to 21 if our D scores a few TD's

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Good to see Denny stick with someone instead of all the chaos of switching around. If McCown performs well on Sunday and they get the win, he should remain starter for the rest of the season.

:raccoon:

If McCown performs this weekend, I will believe.

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
21 yeah I think our D will get a TD and the cowboys are not world beaters if we are able to beat a blitz (maybe a screen to JJ) we should be able to put up a couple of TD's

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a no brainer that Green stayed with McCown. He doesn't want to relive the debacle of last year's decision. McCown will start UNTIL they lose. After that Warner will replace him.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
This is really the only scenario that Green could realistically follow in my opinion. While I think Warner is a better option, right now, to help the Cardinals win, Green couldn't pull McCown after a team win even though he played poorly. If McCown does well, then the team keeps on truckin', if he struggles and plays poorly again, no one's going to bat an eye over Warner coming back in.

I say, give Green credit for doing the smart thing and hope it translates into some kind of continuity/rhythm for the team.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
Make or break? Put me in the break category. I am no fan of McCown. If McCown has another performance like last week (and I think he will), it'll be Warner for the rest of the year.

I hate to say it, but your opening day starter in 06 is likely playing in another city right now.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Because it is. He's a tease, showing flashes of good, then bad. He needs to grab the job by the throat or become a career backup.

And I'm a McCown supporter.

"u need to grab it by the horns and hump it to submission"

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know

the Dollass front is pretty good. If they gap us and blitz us the way the titans did we're in trouble.
We've got to bottleg and roll McCown or Warner out.
McCown gives us an option of him running for some yards on that type of play and could help keep their D from shooting the gaps every freakin down.
We'll see.
Please use JJ on some more of those outside runs. Man, if he gets some open space, he's a terror. And, it would certainly help our passing game.
Is it possible for us to use the option or is that just too childish to even think about?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
the Dollass front is pretty good. If they gap us and blitz us the way the titans did we're in trouble.

I have a scary feeling that Dallas is going to be hitting the A gaps much the same way the Falcons did on Monday Night vs. the Jets.

If that does happens we may See McCown, Warner, and Navarre in this game:eek:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't have faith in McCown yet due to his inconsistencies, but I believe this is the right call by Green. I thought I saw some flashes of brilliance in 49ers and Carolina games and thought he has turned the corner but Titans game brought back memories of 2004!

seesred

Reaction score
Here is why Mccown starts. Writer is Len Pasquerile(spelling)?

McCown, 26, has completed 73 of 120 passes for 923 yards, with five touchdown passes and four interceptions in the three games he started, since taking over for the injured Kurt Warner. In each of his first two starts of the season, he threw for over 300 yards, totaling 783 yards in those contests and completing 61 passes.

The former Sam Houston State star has 15 completions of 20 yards or more and four of 40-plus yards in his three starts.

Warner, who started the first three games of the season, losing all three, has recovered from the groin injury that knocked him from the lineup. For now, though, Warner will stay on the bench. The two-time NFL most valuable player has completed 64 of 101 passes for 696 yards, with one touchdown pass and two interceptions.

Gbr
Beat the boys

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
:raccoon:

If McCown performs this weekend, I will believe.

Me too. If McCown wins this game I will have to rethink my position.

Although the odds of that, even by vegas oddsmakers, give a very very very longshot on that happening.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
We've got to bottleg and roll McCown or Warner out.
McCown gives us an option of him running for some yards on that type of play and could help keep their D from shooting the gaps every freakin down.
We'll see.
Please use JJ on some more of those outside runs. Man, if he gets some open space, he's a terror. And, it would certainly help our passing game.
Is it possible for us to use the option or is that just too childish to even think about?

I definately think McCown needs to run more especially now that teams are going to drop 5 into pass coverage on almost every down. The guy has the wheels and if he gets dinged up we have Warner. If the Cards increase the threat of McCown running, like with Vick in Atlanta, defenses will have to assign someone to contain him. That may take that 5th guy out of pass coverage. Add in some bootleg rollouts with run/pass option. Josh just has to make that first guy miss since there will be at least one defender coming in unblocked. Can't run QB draws because our fat linemen always seem to get in the way.

The question is can Josh throw on the run?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
I definately think McCown needs to run more especially now that teams are going to drop 5 into pass coverage on almost every down. The guy has the wheels and if he gets dinged up we have Warner. If the Cards increase the threat of McCown running, like with Vick in Atlanta, defenses will have to assign someone to contain him. That may take that 5th guy out of pass coverage. Add in some bootleg rollouts with run/pass option. Josh just has to make that first guy miss since there will be at least one defender coming in unblocked. Can't run QB draws because our fat linemen always seem to get in the way.

The question is can Josh throw on the run?

Josh needs to learn that to throw on the run you have to slow down just before you throw.

You can't chuck the ball at full speed and hit the broad side of a barn or at least he can't.

Josh does well when he can step up in the pocket and has a little time to look over the field, he's not very fast at reads yet but he does read the field with time better than he ever has right now.

His success in Dallas depends on his time to throw and our play calling. If he has time he will do well if not then our play calling better bail him out or it will be a long day for him and us.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Warner will start. A great switcheroo to throw off the cowboys

(I tried rats) LOL
I think your odds are still pretty good....Josh may go and probably do well but he will most likely get injured behind this crappy line running for his life against a good D like Dallas. He is tough but there were times I would not have blamed him for not getting up last week. I expect a better running game this week. Without it we have no chance. If there is no time to throw Fitz and Boldin will be nuetralized and we will again have no offense. Kurt wouldn't fair any better and since we won last week DG has to see if he can build some momentum and doing the Qb shuffle at this point is detrimental to the team.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Rats said:
I think your odds are still pretty good....Josh may go and probably do well but he will most likely get injured behind this crappy line running for his life against a good D like Dallas. He is tough but there were times I would not have blamed him for not getting up last week. I expect a better running game this week. Without it we have no chance. If there is no time to throw Fitz and Boldin will be nuetralized and we will again have no offense. Kurt wouldn't fair any better and since we won last week DG has to see if he can build some momentum and doing the Qb shuffle at this point is detrimental to the team.

If I'm Warner I don't make a big fuss about not starting beyond the obligatory ah shucks that stinks comments.

He can't want to start on that hard turf with this line too much.

I'm not saying he's a wimp at all, just stating the fact that if he gets hit hard and he could with this line, it's going to be a knockout shot from that defense on that field.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rats said:
That is all..........

I can live with it and hope it works out. There are still a lot of questions out there on McCown but I will be cheering for him like I would any other Cards QB and hope he throw 5 TD's and leads us to victory. I will also be here to comment after the game.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
john h said:
I can live with it and hope it works out. There are still a lot of questions out there on McCown but I will be cheering for him like I would any other Cards QB and hope he throw 5 TD's and leads us to victory. I will also be here to comment after the game.
Death, Taxes and John here to comment on how crappy McCown is at Qb....imagne that :D

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I agree this is make or break for McCown.

It should answer my questions about him being able to read defenses and getting rid of the ball effectively. From what I have seen the last couple of weeks, my guess is that he will struggle against a defense like this.

Our only hope is that he doen't make a huge mistake that allows the Cowboys to score on a Turnover or gives them amazing field position.

Come on Josh! Use your head! You don't have to make a play on every down. Field position is important! Throw the ball away if you have to.

I also agree this is as an important game for McCown as he has ever played up until this point. I think DG will not hesitate to pull him by halftime if the game is out of hand. Hope he goes all the way and he is what all you McCown supporters think he is. I am on his band wagon this Sunday for sure. DG has made his move and I support him. Time for us all to get together on this one for this game and then continue our food fight.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Because it is. He's a tease, showing flashes of good, then bad. He needs to grab the job by the throat or become a career backup.

And I'm a McCown supporter.

You said it as well as can be said Skorp and I am not a supporter of McCown except for this week.

spanky1

Reaction score
While I am the first to admit that our O-Line has been dreadful on running plays, they are better in a pass blocking scheme.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Josh needs to learn that to throw on the run you have to slow down just before you throw.

You can't chuck the ball at full speed and hit the broad side of a barn or at least he can't.

Josh does well when he can step up in the pocket and has a little time to look over the field, he's not very fast at reads yet but he does read the field with time better than he ever has right now.

His success in Dallas depends on his time to throw and our play calling. If he has time he will do well if not then our play calling better bail him out or it will be a long day for him and us.

He tends to throw off his back foot to often as noted by analysist. this leads to underthrows and interceptions. NYG won last week when Manning threw off his back foot for a TD in the last seconds. He of course has a cannon and got away with it. Still think he has a better shot if they put him in the gun. Surely our center can get the ball to him in the gun now. This is crazy either to have a center who cannot snap long in the gun or as someone posted Josh is not comfortable in the gun. This is this NFL not peewee football.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
john h said:
He tends to throw off his back foot to often as noted by analysist. this leads to underthrows and interceptions. NYG won last week when Manning threw off his back foot for a TD in the last seconds. He of course has a cannon and got away with it. Still think he has a better shot if they put him in the gun. Surely our center can get the ball to him in the gun now. This is crazy either to have a center who cannot snap long in the gun or as someone posted Josh is not comfortable in the gun. This is this NFL not peewee football.

He throws off his back foot when he's nervous.

When he has time he throws nice spirals that are very catchable and on target.

The whole reason I agree with some of you about Josh is his tendancy to still get nervous under pressure.

If he dosen't fix that he's a goner.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
What was the problem...

.. with the NO HUDDLE? We used it affectively for the Panthers game JM seemed to be much more comfortable (probably less time to confuse himself by thinking too much)...either way, it was productive and we moved the ball very well...no sense to not try it some more...our offense on Sunday was a joke amd if we have to give up the run and drop passess off the MS and JJ in the to SIMULATE a running game, then so be it... what we did in Sunday against the Titans was boring and pathetic!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05