McCown's future?

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
How many of you guys really think McCown is the guy for the next several years or is he just filling the role until they draft a QB next year or sign a free agent?
I just have trouble seeing him leading this team for years to come......I'm not a McCown hater by any accounts I'm just curious what other people think?:confused:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Originally posted by Capt'nCard
How many of you guys really think McCown is the guy for the next several years or is he just filling the role until they draft a QB next year or sign a free agent?
I just have trouble seeing him leading this team for years to come......I'm not a McCown hater by any accounts I'm just curious what other people think?:confused:

first of all welcome to the board. Second I'll just say "Ben" is coming. I feel it.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly feel that the way Rivers if moving up the board and Ben's average workout, I think we could trade down to 8th-10th spot and still have a chance at Ben.. if he is there we must take him.. if he is gone there will be other blue-chips players there for DG picken..

Go Cards

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Ben

Originally posted by jrjbritt
I honestly feel that the way Rivers if moving up the board and Ben's average workout, I think we could trade down to 8th-10th spot and still have a chance at Ben.. if he is there we must take him.. if he is gone there will be other blue-chips players there for DG picken..

Go Cards

I'm not being facetious but I would like to read about Ben's "average" workout......not saying it didn't happen I just missed it.

POSSIBLE REASONS BEN WILL NOT BE A CARD

(1) We feel another position or player is more important.

(2) He'll be drafted before us.

(3) QB coach Kruczek will convince DG that Big Ben is not the real deal.

POSSIBLE REASONS BEN WILL BE CARD

(1) DG not THAT enamored with Josh.

(2) Guys we wanted will be gone in the draft anyway.

(3) QB coach Kruczek will convince DG that Big Ben is da real thing.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Re: Ben

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
I'm not being facetious but I would like to read about Ben's "average" workout......not saying it didn't happen I just missed it.

POSSIBLE REASONS BEN WILL NOT BE A CARD

(1) We feel another position or player is more important.

(2) He'll be drafted before us.

(3) QB coach Kruczek will convince DG that Big Ben is not the real deal.

POSSIBLE REASONS BEN WILL BE CARD

(1) DG not THAT enamored with Josh.

(2) Guys we wanted will be gone in the draft anyway.

(3) QB coach Kruczek will convince DG that Big Ben is da real thing.

The reason I believe that Ben will be a card is because I think the two WR will go 1 and 2.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Green continues his work with QBs as he has in the past, McCown will be a starter here for at least a couple years...then it will be time for his UFA contract then we may see the move to a different QB (I am unclear exactly why Green went through so many QBs in his time in MN...was it $$$?).

McCown has the tools...he now has the coaching and "public support" of his HC. I see no reason not to expect good things from him.

seesred

Reaction score
McCown will surprise all of us and become a pro bowler. He is strong, fast and has a pretty good cannon.On top of all this he is a winner. I'm just not sure yet if it will be in Arizona. No QB in the first three rounds.

GBR

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The potential is there, but he's still a questionmark - he still has to go out and deliver.

So the answer is: "I don't know if he's the 'guy.'" Apparently Denny thinks he is; so we'll just have to wait and see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
If Green continues his work with QBs as he has in the past, McCown will be a starter here for at least a couple years...then it will be time for his UFA contract then we may see the move to a different QB (I am unclear exactly why Green went through so many QBs in his time in MN...was it $$$?).

McCown has the tools...he now has the coaching and "public support" of his HC. I see no reason not to expect good things from him.

That's the thing that makes me somewhat nervous, if you look at Green in Minnesota he was remarkably successful with different QB's, but the only guy he drafted high was Culpepper. So it's entirely possible that he WILL go with Josh because he believes in his own ability to coach a QB, and in the process pass on a possible franchise QB.

If Fitz and MW do go 1 and 2, you can make a very strong argument for trading down with say Cleveland who should want Manning, but if we simply bypass Manning and take another player, its' a big risk on what you COULD have had by trading down.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
That's the thing that makes me somewhat nervous, if you look at Green in Minnesota he was remarkably successful with different QB's, but the only guy he drafted high was Culpepper. So it's entirely possible that he WILL go with Josh because he believes in his own ability to coach a QB, and in the process pass on a possible franchise QB.

If Fitz and MW do go 1 and 2, you can make a very strong argument for trading down with say Cleveland who should want Manning, but if we simply bypass Manning and take another player, its' a big risk on what you COULD have had by trading down.

McCown could be a "possible franchise QB" too though. The nerve wracking thing is that we just don't know (although I am personally confident McCown can do it). I think we can point to Green's track record with QBs and feel alot better about it than had Mac made the same proclamation about Josh.

I have no reason to not believe Green will go into training camp with McCown as his starter. It is Josh's job to lose.

As an aside, I cannot understand why everyone believes Cleveland will trade down. IF the WRs go 1 and 2, the way I see it, there is only one team between the Cards and Cleveland who would possibly take a QB...the Giants. Other than that, WAS, DET and ATL are seemingly set therefore one of the 2 QBs will fall all the way to CLE. Since the Cards would likely not draft a QB, then BOTH QBs could actually fall to CLE. This is assuming someone from down the line doesn't trade up of course.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

Thats what I have been screaming for a month. It doesnt really matter if McCown will pan out or not, what does matter is that DG has a plan to succeed if he doesnt.

Dont pass on Manning at 3 no matter what the case is. If he is there you have to pick him and hopefully DG will. Trading down a few slots isnt worth the extra picks and passing on Manning...

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do like Josh a lot. I'm just really unsure what the long term outlook is. I know he can't feel secure about his future, and he knows everything hinges on what we do in the draft. He's a fighter, but he probably knows his shot at beating out Ben or Eli would be minimal. He's raw, but with guidance he could be a player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I cannot understand why everyone believes Cleveland will trade down. IF the WRs go 1 and 2, the way I see it, there is only one team between the Cards and Cleveland who would possibly take a QB...the Giants. Other than that, WAS, DET and ATL are seemingly set therefore one of the 2 QBs will fall all the way to CLE. Since the Cards would likely not draft a QB, then BOTH QBs could actually fall to CLE. This is assuming someone from down the line doesn't trade up of course.

Well if I were Cleveland I would be afraid of teams BEHIND me, like Pittsburgh and Miami trading UP to get Manning or Ben.

If I'm the Cards, I'd rather deal with Cleveland because their first rounder is the best of the 3 teams.

As I said in another thread, I think Detroit is probably going to take Taylor and that's why I would be really hesitant to move down to #7 and bypass Manning. If we move down and still get Taylor and picks, I'm thrilled, but if he goes before our pick, then I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No it was not money. What happened was DG no longer thought the guy could do it.
Gannon was a headcase. B Johnson was injury prone and wanted a guaranteed starting spot. Moon lasted 2 years but he was old. George was good for 1 year. Cunningham just lost the magic he had the previous year. Ironically, DG finally found his perfect QB in Culpepper (young, athletic, good completion percentage, wants to win, team player, strong arm for deep ball) he was finally set at QB for 10 years. His offense was set for 10 years with Moss Birk JK Bennett. He just had to add a defense and that team would dominate the NFC for years and he had the cap money to do it. He cleared cap during the 2001 season to do just that. And then Red went with the Thrift Plan and was not going to spend on front office, coaches, or the FAs. DG resigned. He finally had the perfect team set up. Buy a defense with 45 million in cap money over 2 years and the Vikes would have dominated. They would be the NE of the NFC.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!