McGinnis on MarTay

Jim O

Reaction score
One player that has already been released by the Falcons is former Cards receiver MarTay Jenkins. McGinnis would not rule anything out when asked about the possibility of Jenkins returning to the fold.

“We’ll take a look at everybody that is on the list,” said McGinnis. “MarTay did some good things here for us and also sometimes you realize the place where you were is a pretty good place.”

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
NO NO NO!!!

Don't do it Mac!!

Tease him but then tell him we don't need his fumbleitis on this team. Our turnover ratio took a positive turn when we let Plummer and Jenkins go. Let's not revisit this now.

He didn't want to play here, so I say adios and don't let the door hit you in the face as you try to come back in!

:mad:

pinnacle

Reaction score
it would have to be at the expense of kasper....right? at the end of the day I want the most talented guy on the roster...but...it would be tough to stomach - take a guy who did everything in his power to not be here (after we gave martay a chance in the 1st place - he was cut by the cowboys)..and send a guy packing who is dying to play here and appears to have done everything asked of him (kasper)....or....would it be at the expense of mcaddley? we already have 2 track guys at receiver (gilmore, mcaddley).would we need 3 if we add martay?....

after further review - if we sign martay (which we may have no interest in - macs comments aside)...it could be mcaddley to the practice squad..who knows...

given our very poor coverage on punts and kickoffs..I would not mind seeing kasper and martay flying down the field...

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
it would have to be at the expense of kasper....right? at the end of the day I want the most talented guy on the roster...but...it would be tough to stomach - take a guy who did everything in his power to not be here (after we gave martay a chance in the 1st place - he was cut by the cowboys)..and send a guy packing who is dying to play here and appears to have done everything asked of him (kasper)....or....would it be at the expense of mcaddley? we already have 2 track guys at receiver (gilmore, mcaddley).would we need 3 if we add martay?....

after further review - if we sign martay (which we may have no interest in - macs comments aside)...it could be mcaddley to the practice squad..who knows...

given our very poor coverage on punts and kickoffs..I would not mind seeing kasper and martay flying down the field...

Very good points, we all know Martay is a really good kick return man and gunner. I would not mind trying get McCaddley past waivers in getting Jenkins in return.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would prefer to see Larry Foster let go

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
MarTay REALLY helped on special teams, and even though some don't want to admit it...

OUR SPECIAL TEAMS SUCK! (at least on coverage and kick returns)

he would help, but at what expense...

who to cut...McAddley or Kasper...Maybe McAddley should go to the PS, but is he doing that bad?

I would like to see MarTay comeback...he already knows the basic offense...and he would save the special teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MarTay was the best gunner on punt coverage we had since...well, I don't remember when. But, he was never replaced last year, and our coverage of kicks is still a sore spot this year. Plus, although he dropped the ball a few times, he's more explosive on kickoffs.

I don't think him returning is that much of a stretch.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I had McAddley on my cut sheet. If they want Martay back he'd be my cut.
No way should they replace Kasper. He's worked his butt off. Is consistent on returns and catches.
I do not believe I'd take Martay at this point as WR. Best feature about him is his speed. But does not catch all the passes thrown his way. He's fast - maybe he'd be a decent corner .

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
He is also a vet...

If we sign him:

Foster
Gilmore
"Q"
BJ
Kasper or McAddley (probably Kasper stays)
MarTay

That lineup is much more solid than:

Foster
Gilmore
"Q"
BJ
Kasper
McAddley

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So whatever happened to "pure hatred" towards Kevin Kasper

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we could use him just because of his special team ability. He always seemed to be one of the first to get to the returner. On the other hand I don't know who we would cut. I guess McCaddley? I kind of liked him last year when he was playing games although he has done nothing preseason. I would probably prefer to cut Gilmore but he is Sully's guy and he seems to be a good teacher. I definitey DO NOT want to cut Kasper. So far he is the only player proven to get it done on the field for us last year. I want one guy I'm almost positive will be at least somewhat reliable and I felt Kasper was last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I say cut McAddley, and sign Mar Tay immediately.

All you who have read what I've posted when we lost Mar Tay, know that I was really bummed about losing him.

Any player that can average 30 yards per kick return, and also double as a gunner (an elite gunner) is worth a roster spot.

Heck, we could play BOTH Mar Tay and Kasper as our kick returners.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I say cut McAddley, and sign Mar Tay immediately.

All you who have read what I've posted when we lost Mar Tay, know that I was really bummed about losing him.

Any player that can average 30 yards per kick return, and also double as a gunner (an elite gunner) is worth a roster spot.

Heck, we could play BOTH Mar Tay and Kasper as our kick returners.

:thumbup:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crimson Warrior
isnt mar tays attitude an issue?

do you think the guy is going to give it 100%?

I'd say thats a little doubtful.

Why? Other than him getting mad that we lowballed him, he really hasn't shown any reason to question his attitude.

Heck, I would've been mad with the offer the Cards made him, considering the fact that we could've structured the deal so that he gets paid now, with a very cap friendly deal later.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Why? Other than him getting mad that we lowballed him, he really hasn't shown any reason to question his attitude.

Heck, I would've been mad with the offer the Cards made him, considering the fact that we could've structured the deal so that he gets paid now, with a very cap friendly deal later.

HE may think we lowballed him, but I don't.

We offered a very fair deal IMO, worth around a 1 mil, and he told us to shove it because he thought he deserved No 1 money. Then he took HALF of what we offered to go "be a star" in Atlanta. He's a special teams stud, but should get no more than the minimum, and the only guy I'd cut to do it, would be Foster. Kasper is better than Martay,and McAddely still has more potential than MJ.

pinnacle

Reaction score
what is kind of scary is that martay was beat out by a few no names..some guy who was an undrafted rookie free agent beat him out (plus others)...

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
what is kind of scary is that martay was beat out by a few no names..some guy who was an undrafted rookie free agent beat him out (plus others)...

Agreed, Martay experiment over. Lets move on to who want's to be here. And can contribute.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
Agreed, Martay experiment over. Lets move on to who want's to be here. And can contribute.

You think MarTay cant contribute? What are you bathing in kool-aid????? He would improve special teams and would be a starting WR. MarTay also said he wanted to stay here but wanted more money than what they offered.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
You think MarTay cant contribute? What are you bathing in kool-aid????? He would improve special teams and would be a starting WR. MarTay also said he wanted to stay here but wanted more money than what they offered.

I don't know if he would start at WR, but he would GREATLY improve our special teams (he is a gunner and returner).

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

well say you dump your girlfriend because you think you've got a shot with better looking girl. but that doesn't work out, and your old girlfriend agrees to take you back.

do you really respect her anymore?

I know its a crude analogy, but pretty applicable here