MCU: Deadpool & Wolverine

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, box office was always going to be huge. There was a lot of fun in the movie but not so much at the beginning. Very bad setup. Then again, the box office always reflects a movie's quality, right? ;)
If this thing was dominated by bad reviews I doubt it does as much business as it does now. Also, I would say audience reviews pretty much reflects what audiences think about a movie's quality. I think this was another MCU homerun.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If this thing was dominated by bad reviews I doubt it does as much business as it does now. Also, I would say audience reviews pretty much reflects what audiences think about a movie's quality. I think this was another MCU homerun.
It was absolutely a MCU home run because it's judged by box office success. That still won't ever convince me that the first act didn't suck and about an hour of that movie should never have been written. Yeah, sure, the rest was awesome. It doesn't even shine a candle to (or deserve to look up at the balls of) Deadpool 2 or especially 1. There's a clear difference in quality for me. Like, by a lot.

The movie's no Thor: Ragnarok for me, where I just didn't like much at all. I loved most of the rest of the film. I just didn't like the first half--or rather third--of it, and won't be convinced that it was well written. I mean:

We have to take what would be an awesome opening credits action scene and chop it apart to do a really, truly awful short "how we got here" trope with a truly awful villain and exposition/story line that made me want to puke? I mean, they literally chopped the good scene in half and ruined it because they didn't want to open with the sucky crap and wanted an action scene to open it.

Written by a freaking moron, or team of morons. Just really freaking bad.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was absolutely a MCU home run because it's judged by box office success. That still won't ever convince me that the first act didn't suck and about an hour of that movie should never have been written. Yeah, sure, the rest was awesome. It doesn't even shine a candle to (or deserve to look up at the balls of) Deadpool 2 or especially 1. There's a clear difference in quality for me. Like, by a lot.

The movie's no Thor: Ragnarok for me, where I just didn't like much at all. I loved most of the rest of the film. I just didn't like the first half--or rather third--of it, and won't be convinced that it was well written. I mean:

We have to take what would be an awesome opening credits action scene and chop it apart to do a really, truly awful short "how we got here" trope with a truly awful villain and exposition/story line that made me want to puke? I mean, they literally chopped the good scene in half and ruined it because they didn't want to open with the sucky crap and wanted an action scene to open it.

Written by a freaking moron, or team of morons. Just really freaking bad.
That's cool. You are entitled. Your opinion won't convince others otherwise either. There was no doubt some setup at the start for those not familiar with the TVA. There was also fan service galore. However, the only issue I had with it? It lacked the heart of the first two addressing relationships and loss. That was only a minor gripe because I wasn't expecting that at all from this outing based on it being a team up movie.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
That's cool. You are entitled. Your opinion won't convince others otherwise either. There was no doubt some setup at the start for those not familiar with the TVA. There was also fan service galore. However, the only issue I had with it? It lacked the heart of the first two addressing relationships and loss. That was only a minor gripe because I wasn't expecting that at all from this outing based on it being a team up movie.
I'm not trying to convince anyone.

As to the bolded, that is not an excuse for any of the garbage start.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a better version of "Not Another Teen Movie"?
I kinda love Not Another Teen Movie, so I’d say like a lesser version of it.

I was actually surprised that I was kinda bored in the movie at times. Didn’t really see much in the way of exciting new action set-pieces, one of the cameos that I was excited by just ended up being window dressing and the plot/stakes/motivation for Deadpool was just… meh. All of which surprised me because I liked the first two Deadpools.

I did think Jackman gave another great Wolverine performance, the switcheroo they pulled with one comic book character was great and there were other chuckles to be had.

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DiscussingFilm
@DiscussingFilm
·
12m
‘DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE’ uses the word “fudge” 118 times.

It is a new franchise record, with the second film only having 90 f-bombs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man… tracking is looking at another 85-90 million in Dead 3’s second weekend which will put it at 380 million domestic after 10 days. Considering nothing is really on the horizon until Beeteljuice 2, it definitely hits 500 million and possibly could top 600.

A summer with two 600+ million dollar hits is what theaters DESPERATELY needed after a REALLY rough Q1 and most of Q2. Between Beetlejuice, Joker 2, Moana 2, Wicked and Mufasa, (and an outside chance Gladiator 2 actually hits), that lineup has the chance to breakout here and there also and maybe this “the movies are officially dead” talk could recede for at least a couple years.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man… tracking is looking at another 85-90 million in Dead 3’s second weekend which will put it at 380 million domestic after 10 days. Considering nothing is really on the horizon until Beeteljuice 2, it definitely hits 500 million and possibly could top 600.

A summer with two 600+ million dollar hits is what theaters DESPERATELY needed after a REALLY rough Q1 and most of Q2. Between Beetlejuice, Joker 2, Moana 2, Wicked and Mufasa, (and an outside chance Gladiator 2 actually hits), that lineup has the chance to breakout here and there also and maybe this “the movies are officially dead” talk could recede for at least a couple years.
Yes, I saw both of the summer blockbusters in the theaters. I'm enjoying the experience again. I think it will make a comeback in time.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it tonight. Super fun and entertaining movie. Loved all the easter eggs. Probably my favorite MCU movie since Shang-Chi.
I didn't realize how many came between since so many were unremarkable.

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - A
  • Eternals - F-
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home - B+/A-
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness -  D
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - C
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - C+
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - C+
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - B
  • The Marvels - Haven't Seen
So, you're right!

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score

• Eternals - F-
So, you're right!
I did enjoy the Spider Man team up…but yeah, Marvel has been pretty terrible since Endgame.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just saying, sometimes I think people are so picky about Marvel movies instead of just looking at them as entertainment. It's not like they are documentaries with incorrect facts. I go in with a low bar, and generally come away entertained. I mean every super hero movie/series they could just use their powers and overwhelm every situation and movie should be over in five minutes. Every one I always go, why didn't they just use this power and finish the enemy off? It is what it is. LOL.

Stout

Reaction score
Just saying, sometimes I think people are so picky about Marvel movies instead of just looking at them as entertainment. It's not like they are documentaries with incorrect facts. I go in with a low bar, and generally come away entertained. I mean every super hero movie/series they could just use their powers and overwhelm every situation and movie should be over in five minutes. Every one I always go, why didn't they just use this power and finish the enemy off? It is what it is. LOL.
I know for me the problem is that they were fantastic movies for so long, and now they're overall not. Still some really good ones, though.

Stout

Reaction score

• Eternals - F-
So, you're right!
I'll go with the following, which puts Deadpool/Wolverine as the 6th best out of the last 10, bang average in a batch with a bunch of bad movies:

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - A-
  • Eternals - F-
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home - A-
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness -  B+
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - B
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - D
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - F
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - A-
  • Deadpool/Woverine C+
  • The Marvels - Couldn't Finish/has no grade point average

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but I will say this, I never thought we would see the real Wolverine in a movie again. That's cool in itself.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went to see it again this weekend with a couple buddies. Holds up on 2nd viewing. In fact, I noticed more things this time. Everybody agreed it was the best Marvel movie since Spiderman NWH.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky