Metta World Peace Assaults Harden (ugly vid)

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Artest is a sociopath - takes NO responsibilty for his bad actions.
Another sociopath is Bruce Bowen, bow tie and "I'm a christian" rap and all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Artest is a sociopath - takes NO responsibilty for his bad actions.
Another sociopath is Bruce Bowen, bow tie and "I'm a christian" rap and all.

Nah, Bowen was just a really dirty player who lacked mainstream talent and found a way to make himself into an asset. The stuff he did was calculated.

Artest is the crazy/sociopath type.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I still think too little was made of Wade's hard foul on Kobe in the ASG. It's the freaking ASG...and yes, I know...kobe blah blah blah...but it's stupid to foul anyone hard like that in the all star goof off game.

That article makes a really nice case of Wade popping out cheap fouls after feeling he didn't get a foul called on the other end. That's what happened in the ASG too.

I used to hate Wade, gained a ton of respect for him during the Olympics and how tireless he played, but have come back to the realm of thinking he's a bitch.

Wade actually went for the ball...But a bush league move none the less.

Last edited:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Wade's was not "a hard foul." It wasn't a basketball play at all. He was still fuming because he thought a foul should have been called two plays earlier when he went up for a shot. He even stared down the ref. He wanted to intentionally hit somebody for payback. Total cheap shot in the back. It was a little funny that he was so early that the pass actually hit him in the head after he'd knocked down Collison.

That was a play on the ball. I don't know what you're seeing, both hands reached for the ball before getting hit on the nose. That's a foul, not a flagrant. You can't penalize a player based on what you think the intentions were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCZtj7D18o

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Regardless of how open he was, a three down 1 (from a bench guy) can simply NOT be the best you have drawn up.

Bynum or Pau at the rim has to be the play, or Kobe at the elbow. They can't take all three of those away.

The Lakers run that play for the open corner three A LOT, it's one of their go-to end of half set plays..but damn it if I want to see it run down 1 trying to steal one on the road in the playoffs.

Get the two and play defense.

I give a ef how wide open he was. And yes, he should have made it..and yes, it is still a dumb call.

If Kobe didn't run off most of the clock, they would have had a better shot to win instead of throwing the ball inbounds before the 5 second call. That's why Artest dumped it to a wide open man. Kobe running out the clock caused Brown to waste timeouts. It was Kobe's fault.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a play on the ball. I don't know what you're seeing, both hands reached for the ball before getting hit on the nose. That's a foul, not a flagrant. You can't penalize a player based on what you think the intentions were.

My post was about this play:

You must be registered for see images

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kobe didn't run off most of the clock, they would have had a better shot to win instead of throwing the ball inbounds before the 5 second call. That's why Artest dumped it to a wide open man. Kobe running out the clock caused Brown to waste timeouts. It was Kobe's fault.

Kobe and Mike Brown. If you have the ball with 18.6 seconds and the other team has a foul to give - get it in to the big men so the other team uses up their foul to give as quickly as possible and you can play for the last shot. You might even get a bucket or a shooting foul and tie or take the lead and put the pressure on the other team to hit a last second shot for the win.

Dribbling around and wasting time makes no sense because the other team is going to foul you with very little time left - forcing you to have a difficult inbound play to get a shot off.

The coach should have taken control and demanded a play involving one of the bigs, IMHO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The entire last two minutes was Kobe's fault. He played like hot ass in crunch time.

Still, Brown should not have had Blake in the corner as one of his big options. Brown loves him some Steve Blake, hard.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wade actually went for the ball...But a bush league move none the less.

In the regular season or the playoffs, that's a good foul.

In the freaking all star goof off extravaganza? Total douche move.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Still, Brown should not have had Blake in the corner as one of his big options.

Fans can be rediculous. Blake is a quality spot up shooter, that's why they hired him. Plus there was no defense on him. He hit a bunch of those against Denver for cryin out loud. Would you rather have a 25ft Kobe fader with a blanket defender?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fans can be rediculous. Blake is a quality spot up shooter, that's why they hired him. Plus there was no defense on him. He hit a bunch of those against Denver for cryin out loud. Would you rather have a 25ft Kobe fader with a blanket defender?

He was HORRID all season long..he came alive in the Denver series, but he's sucked since we hired him. And I was a big proponent of getting Blake since he's killed us in the past..and I still DO like the kid.

But I'd have rather had Artest, Pau, Sessions, Goudlock, Barnes and then Blake for the corner three, in just about that order.

And I'd rather have Kobe with an elbow jumper with a blanket defender or even two, since we were down one.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I dont get is Brown remarking that Kobe looked open... I know coaches often dont get to see replays of the stuff right at the end of the game but not only did Kobe look well covered, it would have taken a very risky pass just to toss him the ball.

But the good thing about Kobe taking a big shot at the end of a playoff game is that his teammates KNOW it will brick or air-ball, and can all be prepared for the miracle tip in.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
He was HORRID all season long..he came alive in the Denver series, but he's sucked since we hired him. And I was a big proponent of getting Blake since he's killed us in the past..and I still DO like the kid.

But I'd have rather had Artest, Pau, Sessions, Goudlock, Barnes and then Blake for the corner three, in just about that order.

And I'd rather have Kobe with an elbow jumper with a blanket defender or even two, since we were down one.

Fair enough, but I'd take a wide open Blake over a blanketed Kobe fadeaway in that situation.

If Kobe had missed a blanketed elbow jumper Laker fans would be bitchin that Blake was wide open in the corner and should have gotten the ball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, but I'd take a wide open Blake over a blanketed Kobe fadeaway in that situation.

If Kobe had missed a blanketed elbow jumper Laker fans would be bitchin that Blake was wide open in the corner and should have gotten the ball.

Laker fans will bitch no matter what...even when we win. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So he just misjudged so badly that he ran into Collison with his shoulder and then the ball hit him on the head?

he wasn't going for the ball he was going for Collison. I don't think it was a flagrant 2 but he was pissed about a no call at the other end and he went after Collison out of anger.

I'm in the minority on hard fouls though I don't think intent is the be all end all I think result should be a huge factor too. In other words if Harden had broken his jaw, I think the outcome would have warranted a bigger suspension whether MWP meant to do that or not.

If Collison hadn't gotten a dislocated shoulder or broken clavicle I think Wade should have been suspended whether that was his intent or not.

Injuries are a part of the game but injuries on dirty plays should be punished.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
So he just misjudged so badly that he ran into Collison with his shoulder and then the ball hit him on the head?

he wasn't going for the ball he was going for Collison. I don't think it was a flagrant 2 but he was pissed about a no call at the other end and he went after Collison out of anger.

I'm in the minority on hard fouls though I don't think intent is the be all end all I think result should be a huge factor too. In other words if Harden had broken his jaw, I think the outcome would have warranted a bigger suspension whether MWP meant to do that or not.

If Collison hadn't gotten a dislocated shoulder or broken clavicle I think Wade should have been suspended whether that was his intent or not.

Injuries are a part of the game but injuries on dirty plays should be punished.

I think we're talking about 2 different plays.

I was referring to the Wade/Kobe ASG hit. But I agree, Wade should have got a flagrant on that Collison hit. Maybe even a suspension.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're talking about 2 different plays.

I was referring to the Wade/Kobe ASG hit. But I agree, Wade should have got a flagrant on that Collison hit. Maybe even a suspension.

Right sorry I realized that after reading further down and should have corrected my post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05