Mike Sherman 2nd Interview Thread

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
not everyone is a fat lazy slob willing to sit out years just to collect an "unemployment check".

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If this is true, this is great news. Sherman is the best pure coach of the bunch in my opinion. A tireless worker who succeeded in Green Bay until he was given too much responsiblity and made GM.

Keep him as head coach and Graves at GM, and I think we have a playoff team the next few years.

So here's hoping it's true. Of all the interviews, I really liked his and Grimm's the best. I'm extremely happy we're not even looking at Chow. Face it guys, he's just not head coach material, as much as you might love his offense.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but that was to be GM and HC, right? Not just for his Head Coaching duties. It's much more understandable if you look at it that way.

The thing about PFT printing things and not the local guys is that the EVT and AZR do still have a two-source confirmation process to go through, and the local guys may not have the national sources that PFT has (note that the source was from the NFL office). Because PFT can run with single-sourced items, they can get stories out faster, but many of them are going to be wrong.

His final year in Green Bay when he was only head coach was $3.2M.

Hey, all I'm saying is that the Bidwills like the cheaper guys. Most of the other guys are making less than $1M and this type of deal is a life maker from a compensation perspective -- a three or four year deal worth $4-6M. These guys would be set for life.

I don't know about you guys, but I rarely take a similar job to one I had before and make 1/3 less. Who cares what he makes in Texas, he doesn't have the responsibility of a head coach in Arizona where your reputation is on the line.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i not going to be jumping up and down if sherman is hired, but i will give sherman a chance if he is hired. i think everyone should give him the same respect.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i not going to be jumping up and down if sherman is hired, but i will give sherman a chance if he is hired. i think everyone should give him the same respect.
Sounds fair and reasonable, but I have to admit I wouldn't dig for every new tidbit of Cardinal info as obsessively as I might otherwise do.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
10-6 baby!! Playoffs here we come!!

j/k... just to tease pissed off folks

I hope whoever is hired, we go to the playoffs...

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
10-6 baby!! Playoffs here we come!!

j/k... just to tease pissed off folks

I hope whoever is hired, we go to the playoffs...

let us all hope and pray that the cardinals go 10-6 this season under sherman, if he is hired. still nothing confirmed.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
True. PFT puts rumors like that up as fact just so "if" it turns out to be true they can crow about how they "broke the story".

Exactly. All they do is take a flyer on the "highly likely". If they're wrong, "Hey, we're just a rumor site" but if they're right, "You heard it here first!!" Pretty friggin' convenient position for them to be in.

Anyway, in this case, I hope their right. I was never very impressed with Sherman in Green Bay.

Last edited:

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
If this is true, this is great news. Sherman is the best pure coach of the bunch in my opinion. A tireless worker who succeeded in Green Bay until he was given too much responsiblity and made GM.

Keep him as head coach and Graves at GM, and I think we have a playoff team the next few years.

So here's hoping it's true. Of all the interviews, I really liked his and Grimm's the best. I'm extremely happy we're not even looking at Chow. Face it guys, he's just not head coach material, as much as you might love his offense.

They say people keep getting promoted until they reach the level of their incompetence. Sherman's level is that of GM--as a HC I think he brings a lot to the table. After I got over my disappointment about Chow not being in the hunt (apparently), I started to warm to the Sherman selection.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Exactly. All they do is take a flyer on the "highly likely". If they're wrong, "Hey, we're just a rumor site" but if they're right, "You heard it hear first!!" Pretty friggin' convenient position for them to be in.

Anyway, in this case, I hope their right. I was never very impressed with Sherman in Green Bay.

He is 1-0 against the Seahawks in the playoffs.......................

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PFT had a story line like "Cowher going nowhere" then a day later they had a story line "Cowher to retire" so you really can't trust anything from PFT......

labrador

Reaction score
Sporting News Confirming Sherman

The Fan 1060 Sports Flashes Are Saying Done Deal With Sherman

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash are talking about Beckham playing for the LA soccer team.

What the hell? Is it because they know nothing about football? This is the local talk show's lead?

labrador

Reaction score
Sporting News The Fan 1060 Confirms It!!!

SPORTING NEWS THE FAN 1060 CONFIRMS IT!!!
From Profootballtalk.com

POSTED 12:39 p.m. EST, January 11, 2007

Sherman gets Cardinals job

Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach.

More to come.

Multiple league sources tell us that the Arizona Cardinals have selected Texans assistant Mike Sherman to be their next head coach. It's not known whether a contract has been finalized, but the word is that Sherman is getting the job.

We'd previously heard that the Cardinals were planning to go with an offensive coach, and that Sherman was the favorite.

The Cardinals were primarily attracted by his experience. He coached the Packers from 2000 through 2005, and also was the General Manager for several seasons.

No coach has been with the franchise for more than six seasons, and the team has won only one postseason game since the Truman administration.

Sherman is the third straight Cardinals coach having recent experience with an NFC team. His predecessor, Dennis Green, coached the Vikings for more than nine seasons, and the guy before Green, Dave McGinnis, had been the defensive coordinator in Chicago.

The Cardinals' latest string of hires doesn't include a former Lions coach, since even the Cardinals aren't that desperate.

seesred

Reaction score
If the rumor is true I'm happy about three important things. I also hear that of all the interviews he was the most prepared of the group showing how much he wants to be here.

1. Pro football head coaching expierance
2. Offensive minded
3. A winning record in the pros

GBR

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
Sherman is the hire

PFT is reporting that Sherman is the hire. Not suprised as the Cardinals go the "conservative" route with this hire. I know a high school coach who knows Mike Sherman when he was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Texas A&M under R.C. Slocum. He liked him alot because he was an unbelievable teacher who would take the time to discuss football with small and big school Texas football coaches. He was personable, accessible, intelligent, and worked well with other coaches.

This hiring reminds me a great deal of the Buffalo Bills hiring last year of Dick Jauron. A non-sexy, safe, conservative, rather vanilla coaching hire. I think his experience as a former NFL head coach and GM experience tipped the scales in his favor. He also is willing to take assistants from the old staff which saves ownership money. My biggest gripe is that he is forced to take old staff members. In Texas high school football when a coached is canned the district usually allows the new coach to hire his folks and boots the other coaches/teachers. For goodness sakes this should be the expected in the NFL!

Sherman is well liked by fellow coaches and is a company guy. I would have been content with any of the potential hires. My preference was probably Chow because his hiring reminded somewhat of bringing back the days of "Air Coryell" with our offensive arsenal.

On good aspect of Sherman's hire is that our offensive line will be very good very soon. Sherman is a master OL coach who always has a prepared strong offensive line. Expect an OT early on day one of the draft.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If the rumor is true I'm happy about three important things. I also hear that of all the interviews he was the most prepared of the group showing how much he wants to be here.

1. Pro football head coaching expierance
2. Offensive minded
3. A winning record in the pros

GBR

Whil I personally like Sherman you could have copied and pasted that when Dennis Green was hired.

There have to be reasons that seperate him from Green.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash still talking about Beckham.

This says two things:

1. He hasn't been hired yet.
2. They don't understand the local market and the rumors flying around.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, now Gambo and Ash are talking about Peterson coming into the draft.