Mike Sherman - Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2000 DEBUT SEASON

Justifying Wolf's initial confidence, Sherman proceeded to put his personal stamp upon the team and the organization, the Packers winning more games against teams with winning records (six) than any other team in the league. They also:
In going 4-0 in December, were matched by only the Tennessee Titans and New York Giants, AFC Central and NFC East champions as well as the No. 1 seeds in their respective conferences for the playoffs;
Posted a 5-2 record against playoff teams;
Won their last five games in Lambeau Field, reclaiming the home-field advantage they enjoyed for most of the '90s; and
Shared the best record within the division (5-3) with Minnesota, on the heels of a sweep of the NFC Central to close the year.

In the process, at 9-7 Sherman became only the fourth head coach in team history to post a winning record in his first season on the job, joining icons Lambeau, Lombardi and Holmgren.

Having solidly established his program, Sherman then proceeded to effect a three-victory improvement upon that performance in 2001, his second season, leading the Packers to as many as 12 victories for only the fifth time in the team's NFL history. Along the way, Green Bay punctuated its imposing won-lost record with some singular accomplishments, among them:
Gave NFC Central champion Chicago two of its three regular-season losses in sweeping the Packers' long-time rival;
The defense set a team record by amassing 52 sacks, led by second-year pro Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila with a team-high 13.5;
On the other side of the ball, the offensive line gave up only 22 sacks over the 16-game season, then the fewest a Packers team had allowed since 1974, when NFL teams played a 14-game schedule; and
The team's plus-30 sack ratio, between those made and those allowed, was the largest differential in its history.

In building on those imposing achievements with another 12-4 record in 2002, Sherman may well have done his finest coaching job to date, demonstrating the ability to extract optimum performance from his players despite myriad injury problems. Starters were forced from the lineup a cumulative 71 times over the course of the season, chief among them offensive tackles Mark Tauscher (14 games) and Chad Clifton (seven) as well as a trio of defensive lineman: Joe Johnson (12), Vonnie Holliday (six) and Gilbert Brown (four).

Despite these substantial handicaps, Sherman deftly guided the Packers to the NFC North Division championship with record dispatch, executing the earliest clinching of a division title in team history (with four games to play) since the advent of the NFL's 16-game regular-season schedule in 1978. The Packers' earliest previous clinching(s) had come in the Super Bowl years of 1996 and 1997, when they sealed back-to-back title acquisitions with two games remaining to play in each case (Green Bay earlier had clinched with three games to play in the 14-game, 1967 season).

Sherman's coaching performance was duly noted when he was named 'Staples NFL Coach of the Year' after garnering 46.9 percent of 178,730 fan votes on nfl.com; runner-up Marty Schottenheimer of the San Diego Chargers received 11.4 percent of the votes.

In additionally sharing the league's best regular-season record with the Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the NFC East champion Philadelphia Eagles while gaining the playoffs for the second year in a row, the Packers also:
Led the NFL in takeaways (45); and
Led the league in passing touchdowns (29).

The injury factor, however, ultimately and inexorably took its toll, as the Packers fell to the Atlanta Falcons and the remarkably talented Michael Vick in the opening game of the league's Wild Card playoffs, 27-7, thus ending their perfect (13-0) home-field record in the postseason (11-0 in Lambeau Field).

Overcoming what only could be described as a dire situation at midseason - a 3-4 record heading into the team's bye and a seemingly-indestructible quarterback, Favre, who had a broken thumb on his throwing hand - the Packers rallied to go 7-2 down the stretch, including a pair of wins in venues that had given them great difficulty in recent years, the Vikings' Metrodome and the Buccaneers' Raymond James Stadium.

And, when archrival Minnesota dropped its season finale at Arizona on the final play of the year, by virtue of its own second-half surge Green Bay was positioned to take advantage of the Vikings' misstep, capturing a second straight NFC North Division crown with a 10-6 record.

The Packers had realized that opportunity primarily through Sherman's ability to remake his club during its week off, turning it into a run-first, pass-second group that relied as much, if not more, on running back Ahman Green than it did on future Hall of Famer Favre. As a team, Green Bay proceeded to rush for better than 190 yards in each of its next four games and, later, when opponents heavily stacked the line of scrimmage in an effort to shut down the running game, the Packers put the ball back into Favre's capable hands en route to a 4-0 December.

On the way to a fourth straight winning season, Green Bay also:
Set new single-season franchise records for yards rushing (2,558) and yards per carry (5.05), spurred by Green's 1,883-yard year that tied for the seventh best in league history;
Racked up 442 points and 5,798 net yards, totals that at the time ranked as the second highest in club record books;
Watched Favre lead the league in touchdown passes for the fourth time in his career, with 32; and
Was the only NFL team to finish in the top five in both red-zone offense (second) and red-zone defense (fifth).

The Packers subsequently dispatched the feisty Seattle Seahawks from the NFC playoffs with a dramatic, overtime victory in the Wild Card round, before themselves losing in the fifth period, at Philadelphia the following week in a Divisional contest.

After starting the season off 1-4 and residing in last place within their division for the first time since 1988, the Packers clearly were behind the eight ball for a second straight year. The already-bad situation seemed to become that much worse when the team's offensive coordinator, Tom Rossley, required an emergency angioplasty to clear a blocked artery and would miss the next game.

But, as he had done the season before, Sherman was able to maintain unity and righted the ship. He gave an inspiring speech to his team on the eve of its game at Detroit Oct. 17, making a personal connection with many of his players that night. Taking over the play-calling duties the following day in Rossley's absence, Sherman unleashed an offensive explosion that would continue through the balance of the season under his direction, setting several club records in the process.

Green Bay rebounded to win nine of its last 11 regular-season games and became just the ninth team in NFL history to make the playoffs after beginning the year 1-4. Ultimately, the season came down to the Packers' Christmas Eve showdown with nemesis Minnesota inside the hostile Metrodome. Scratching and clawing to stay even with the Vikings throughout the contest, all looked to be lost in the NFC North title game when Minnesota returned an interception for a touchdown to take a 31-24 lead with only 8:18 remaining. But, as it had done all year, Sherman's team responded valiantly, scoring the game's final 10 points - a fourth-down TD, followed by a 76-yard drive in the last minute-and-a-half to set up the winning field goal as time expired - for a 34-31 triumph and its third straight division title.

En route to a third consecutive division crown for only the fourth time in team history, the Packers additionally:
Established all-time single-season records for total net yards (6,357), first downs (354), net yards passing (4,449), completions (382) and fewest sacks allowed (14), spurred in part by Sherman's play-calling starting with the sixth game;
Were the No. 1 offense in the NFC, posting 400-or-more yards in 10 games after having nine such performances over the prior three years (2001-03);
Scored five defensive touchdowns - the most since the 1997 team also had five - including scores at Detroit and vs. St. Louis that changed those games; and
Posted the team's best road record - 6-2 - in 32 years, when the 1972 club went 6-1 away from home in a 14-game season.

Having beaten Minnesota twice during the regular season, the Packers joined the long list of NFL teams who could not defeat an opponent for a third time when the two met in the postseason. The Vikings jumped to an early 17-0 lead from which Green Bay could not come back, and Minnesota captured a 31-17 victory in an NFC Wild Card playoff game at Lambeau Field.

PHILOSOPHIES, STYLE, BACKGROUND

A 27-year veteran of the coaching profession, Mike Sherman has coached at every level - high school, college and professional - over his varied career. He was associated in tutoring eight bowl teams during 16 seasons in the college ranks prior to being named to the Green Bay staff in 1997 by Holmgren. Returning as head coach, he brought with him, among other assets, an intimate knowledge of the 'West Coast' offense in which Favre has flourished over the past 13 years, becoming the National Football League's first three-time 'Most Valuable Player' in the process.

Beyond that, however, he came to his responsibilities with a highly developed agenda for returning the Packers to NFL heights following a one-year absence in 1999, when Green Bay fell short of the playoffs for the first time in seven years with an 8-8 record.

"I feel very confident in what I want to get done here," Sherman let it be known from the outset. "Right from the beginning, I wanted to be organized, structured and disciplined, both with the players and coaches. I want to generate a genuine concern with the team for each other. I think that it is important that the chemistry factor on our team is where it should be in order for us to have success.

"Whatever it is, we're going to have a plan. And I think with detailed organization, well thought out plans, and a commitment to discipline, that you can create an aura of confidence in players and coaches - and I think confidence is a necessary component of what it takes to be successful."

From his initial days as head coach - when he wrote, then fully memorized, his first speech to the team, laying out his agenda to the players in a 25-minute presentation at the team's March 2000 mini-camp - to today, there never has been a day when Sherman hasn't been fully prepared, when he hasn't known what the next five things he wanted to accomplish were.

He regularly writes and maintains a journal, referring back to it oftentimes for guidance on how he handled a past situation with his team.

Sherman also is a man who is not afraid of conflict, especially if it's an issue that adversely affects his team. He relishes the opportunity to hit problems head on, to deal with them immediately and to move forward.

Like Holmgren before him, Sherman had taken on his current coaching challenge without benefit of previous head-coaching experience at any level - but with quiet confidence. He made that explicitly clear the day he was hired to succeed Rhodes, posing and answering the key question himself.

"Is Mike Sherman, with limited NFL experience and no head coaching experience, ready to be the head football coach for one of the cornerstone franchises in the NFL," he asked rhetorically at his first news conference. "My answer to that emphatically is, yes, I am...I've been doing this for 21 years. Twenty-one years ago, I was an English teacher and an assistant coach in Stamford, Conn. At that time, I was preparing for this day."

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Wow, those drafts are absolutely awful.

to correct -- 2005 was Ted Thompson

I wouldnt say awful -- the 2001 draft was pretty good -- Javon Walker and Aaron Kampman. Najeh Davenport is okay

Nick Barnett the next year, who I beleive was defensive ROY.

2003 was bad, no doubt.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Card fan-- source on this?

Was this written by his mother or a somewhat unbiased third party?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He also did that in a division where his was the only good team, two teams were horrible in Detriot and Chicago, and one team was merely average in Minnesota. He also did it with an established Hall of Fame QB and Pro Bowl running back and one of the best offensive lines in football. And then he dismantled it.

Mike Sherman never made a good draft decision during his time, especially after Wolf left. The Packers got worse basically every year they were there, and they had 4-6 guaranteed wins on their schedule inside their division. Furthermore, he singlehandedly spoiled any Lambeau mystique and the best homefield advantage in the NFL.

Just so you get your facts straight...

He took over an 8-8 team from Ray Rhodes.

In 2000, they went 9-7 in a division that had Minn at 11-5, Tampa Bay at 10-6, and Detroit at 9-7.

In 2001, they went 12-4. Chicago was 13-3 and Tampa Bay was 9-7.

In 2002, they dominated the division at 12-4.

In 2003, they went 10-6 and won the division.

In 2004, they went 10-6 and won the division.

In 2005, they went 4-12.

I think he has the best first 5 year coaching record in NFL history (tied with Cowher).

I don't see why he has such a bad rap from some of you...you can't compare his success to Denny's, they are two different guys.

He seems like a very disciplined and organized coach...just what we need.

No way should he have significant influence on drafting, IMO.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Also points scored...

Year Green Bay Arizona
2000 301 314
2001 338 295
2002 398 262
2003 442 225
2004 424 284
2005 298 311

GB's weakness was defense...if we hire an offensive minded coach, can Clancy carry the defense?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Just doing my own research and I just don't see the negatives on Sherman, other than the drafting/GM stuff.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/02/sherman-kubiak-texans.html

Sherman joins his buddy Gary Kubiak in Houston
By D.Laurant on February 16, 2006 12:18 PM
Permalink | Comments (0) | Email This Article | RSS

When the tunes stopped playing in the annual NFL game of musical coaching chairs, Mike Sherman was left standing -- until former coaching buddy Gary Kubiak offered him a seat.

"Gary's one of the very few people I would have entertained doing this for," said Sherman after agreeing to join the staff of new Houston Texans ' coach Kubiak as offensive line coach. "I want to help him be successful."

And he entertained Kubiak's offer for two weeks before finally saying yes. Sherman, fired by the Green Bay Packers in January, interviewed with the New Orleans Saints and Buffalo Bills for head coaching jobs and was approached by the New York Jets to serve as offensive coordinator. Nothing panned out.

Not that he would have starved. He is in the second year of a two-year contract with Green Bay, which means Sherman could have collected $3.2 million in 2006 for watching TV and mowing his lawn.

"My wife was kicking me out of the house," he said with a laugh at the Texans' press conference.

Still, it had to be a comedown. Sherman was 59-43 in his first five seasons in Green bay, counting the post-season, which tied him with Bill Cowher for most victories over that span among active coaches. It was the 2005 season that made Sherman inactive -- a 4-12 disaster.

"At the end of the day, I felt like we needed to go in a different direction," said Packer GM Ted Thompson.

Sherman took it with class, saying: "I don't agree with the decision, but I respect the decision."

He also received a standing ovation from his team.

Certainly, one could make a case for keeping Sherman around. The Packers were decimated with injuries, 13 team members finishing the season on injured reserved. Among the fallen were the team's top four running backs (Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, and Samkon Gaddo), the starting tight end (Bubba Franks) and two of the top three wide receivers (Javon Walker and Robert Ferguson).

In addition, the Packers drafted badly over the past few seasons (true, Sherman has to take some of the blame for that) and let some key players walk away as free agents (notably DB's Mike McKenzie and Darren Sharper). Then there was the ongoing drama surrounding Bret Favre -- would he retire, and should Sherman give backup Aaron Rodgers a try?

Sherman hasn't been an offensive line coach on the pro level, but he served that function at Texas A&M in the early '90s, while Kubiak coached the running backs.

"Here's a presence walking into our locker room," said Kubiak.

As well as someone who might one day be considered for a promotion should Kubiak falter. Given the early success of previous expansion teams Carolina and Jacksonville, the Texans' fans are growing restless at their club's lack of success. Sherman will try to supply a band-aid, working with an O-Line that provided little protection to battered QB David Carr.

It was Sherman's Green Bay salary, went the conventional wisdom, which kept him from being picked for another head coaching job. He is rumored to have a three-year deal with Texas, but don't expect him to stick around that long.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sounds like mike sherman has done an excellent job. i know he hasn't done well in the post season, but i guess us cardinals fans would like to how going to playoffs feel.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Wow....if you guys though Dennis Green was an emotionless turd you're going to want to shoot Mike Sherman.

He makes Green look like Richard Simmons on crack.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of Packer fans disliked Sherman because he couldn’t live up to the high standards that Holmgren set, but there wasn’t a Reggie White for him to sign either like when Holmgren was coach.

I was in the minority of Packer fans who had respect for Sherman. One of his weaknesses in my opinion were his drafts when he had the GM title. He would trade too many picks to zero in on the player he wanted. At times it would work in cases like Jevon Walker, but too many times it missed and hurt the Packers depth as the team got older and had less draft picks to help replace aging players. In my opinion it was Sherman the GM that finally got Sherman the coach fired.

His other weakness in my opinion is he’s not quick on his feet during game days when snap decisions or adjustments are needed. But he does have a lot of good qualities that I think could actually help the Cardinals if he has a good front office to run the drafts for him.

Sherman’s strength is his work ethic and the preparation he puts in during the week leading up to the game. Sherman helped bring discipline and organization back to the Packers that was lost under Ray Rhodes’ 8-8 season.

The game that gave me respect for Sherman was a game against the Patriots in Foxboro a year after the Patriots won the Super Bowl. The Packers had 6 starters out on defense because of injury, and were starting one guy they just picked up off the street. I didn’t think the Packers had a chance to win that game, but they dominated the Patriots and won easily. That week before the game he told his team “Instead of finding excuses to lose, let’s find reasons to win”. That quote by Sherman and that game really impressed me.

I also like his work ethic and his blue collar attitude. Sherman isn’t the greatest game day coach, but as far as getting a team ready and setting a structure within an organization, that’s where he’s good. I think Sherman’s roll up your sleeves and get to work attitude would relate better to Bidwill senior compared to the egos of a Buddy Ryan or Dennis Green. Hopefully that could help get Bidwills’ ear a little to make some organizational changes for the better. I think those are the areas where Sherman could help bring more stability and organization to the Cardinals. Those qualities might be more important to changing the culture surrounding the Cardinals than having a good “X’s” and “O’s” coach.

There might be better candidates than Sherman, but I did have a lot of respect for him. I won’t be like Vikesfan drooling all over him the way he did with Dennis Green, but I wouldn’t be as upset as some of you are if the Cardinals did hire Sherman. I didn’t agree with everything Sherman did, and he has his weaknesses, but I do think he has some solid strengths that could possibly help point the Cardinals in the right direction.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Houdini...

Thanks for the write up...very interesting and seemingly unbiased.

In game adjustments from the coaching staff has been a source of considerable frustration from Cardinal Nation but it's just one item on a long long list of frustrations.

I think in today's NFL you need a guy who has not only been there but is very familiar with the strategy and preperation that comes the week before the game.

What does the coaching role at halftime consist of? Harry...can you or someone else familiar with the process assist on how the team identifies weakness and then schemes for success in the 2nd half. Who's responsibility is it and is that a standard practice/chain of command for all 32 teams?

Last edited:

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
It is hard to argue with the success of Sherman but I would rather a younger up and coming candidate ala Eric Mangini and the Jets.