Mike Sherman - Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!

Tim

Reaction score
The candidates are nothing unexpexted except for this clown.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
mike sherman did a good job in gb. he just didn't have what it took to take the packers to the superbowl. there are other canidates such as jim mora jr. i am surprise that the cardinals are not going after him. i know he just got release a few hours ago, but c'mon it is time to get agressive. i am also not known to be a patient person.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mike sherman did a good job in gb. he just didn't have what it took to take the packers to the superbowl. there are other canidates such as jim mora jr. i am surprise that the cardinals are not going after him. i know he just got release a few hours ago, but c'mon it is time to get agressive. i am also not known to be a patient person.

Jim Mora was talking up the Cards on Point After, talking about the great weapons on O and that it has a lot of potential. Maybe he can bend his son's ear.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dunno, Mora Jr comes off as kind of whiney to me...Dude, let other people list your accomplishments (such as they are). You don't have to get to the podium to say your record is the best their sorry franchise has had for 41 years

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE Mike Sherman. HATE.

9 - 7 - 0 2000
12 - 4 - 0 2001
12 - 4 - 0 2002
10 - 6 - 0 2003
10 - 6 - 0 2004
4 - 12 - 0 2005

57 wins in 6 years. He seemd like a pretty damn good coach in GB. I dont know why you all would be sooo down on him. The only guess of mine is that he worked for the BEST GM in football history quite possibly in Wolf. That could have been the secret to his success.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 - 7 - 0 2000
12 - 4 - 0 2001
12 - 4 - 0 2002
10 - 6 - 0 2003
10 - 6 - 0 2004
4 - 12 - 0 2005

57 wins in 6 years. He seemd like a pretty damn good coach in GB. I dont know why you all would be sooo down on him. The only guess of mine is that he worked for the BEST GM in football history quite possibly in Wolf. That could have been the secret to his success.

That's almost impressive as Denny Green's run in Minnesota! :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's almost impressive as Denny Green's run in Minnesota! :D

Yes actually it is. Hopefully if he is the choice he doesnt turn his stellar record into a stinking pile of well you know like Green did.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes actually it is. Hopefully if he is the choice he doesnt turn his stellar record into a stinking pile of well you know like Green did.

Unfortunately, success with another franchise no longer makes me optimistic that someone can duplicate it here. This is clearly a different can of worms.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, success with another franchise no longer makes me optimistic that someone can duplicate it here. This is clearly a different can of worms.

Yes it is.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Wolf left after the 2001 draft

Sherman ran the 2002 - 2005 drafts -- they were reasonably productive picks given they were picking low in the first round-- the one big miss by Sherman was Ahmad Carrol:

1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson FS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Miami
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State, La.
6 200 Mike Houghton T San Diego State

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee NT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer OLB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson CB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin WR South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells G Tennessee

1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California
2 51 Nick Collins FS Bethune-Cookman
2 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M
4 115 Marviel Underwood SS San Diego State
4 125 Brady Poppinga OLB Brigham Young
5 143 Junius Coston G North Carolina A&T
5 167 Michael Hawkins CB Oklahoma
6 180 Mike Montgomery DE Texas A&M
6 195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA
7 245 Kurt Campbell LB Albany, N.Y.
7 246 William Whitticker G Michigan State

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
9 - 7 - 0 2000
12 - 4 - 0 2001
12 - 4 - 0 2002
10 - 6 - 0 2003
10 - 6 - 0 2004
4 - 12 - 0 2005

He also did that in a division where his was the only good team, two teams were horrible in Detriot and Chicago, and one team was merely average in Minnesota. He also did it with an established Hall of Fame QB and Pro Bowl running back and one of the best offensive lines in football. And then he dismantled it.

Mike Sherman never made a good draft decision during his time, especially after Wolf left. The Packers got worse basically every year they were there, and they had 4-6 guaranteed wins on their schedule inside their division. Furthermore, he singlehandedly spoiled any Lambeau mystique and the best homefield advantage in the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sorry, Fuego, but one player out of an entire draft in 2003 is not good enough. No players in 2004 is not good enough. Hiring Mike Sherman here would be a disaster.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I was just about to start a thread entitled "If Mike Sherman is chosen as coach i will stop following this team...."

There is no way this ass clown should come any where near this organization. What a joke that he was even mentioned.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
First, the 2005 draft was done by General Manager Ted Thompson who was also the one who dismantled the team when he decided they had gone as far as they could with the roster. Sherman was not a good G.M. but most coaches do poorly with both roles. Mike Holmgren is one example of a coach who failed in the G.M. role.

Under Sherman the Packer’s offense was consistently one of the best and set plenty of records. Furthermore, Sherman called the plays during several key periods and is a proven game manager. Sherman also was an O-line coach before becoming a HC so he should be able to assist with our problem in that department. Sure, Sherman is not perfect but he should be considered and I think he could be a great coach for us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really think with Rod Graves still the GM and no opportunity for a big name coach to take the GM and coaching spots that we could actually get anything better?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also did that in a division where his was the only good team, two teams were horrible in Detriot and Chicago, and one team was merely average in Minnesota. He also did it with an established Hall of Fame QB and Pro Bowl running back and one of the best offensive lines in football. And then he dismantled it.

Mike Sherman never made a good draft decision during his time, especially after Wolf left. The Packers got worse basically every year they were there, and they had 4-6 guaranteed wins on their schedule inside their division. Furthermore, he singlehandedly spoiled any Lambeau mystique and the best homefield advantage in the NFL.

Absolutely. I don't want a coach who stepped into a fantastic situation and slowly eroded it into crap. W/L in that crappy division with a home field advantage like Lambeau and a HoF qb should look like that, even if I'm coaching.

I've never had much love for Sherman. Might as well hire Mike Tice.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
as long as the cardinals win i don't care. norm chow has been mentioned as a possible canidate. i not to thrilled with that idea eithier. i believe chow needs a little more experience in the pros. what do i know i predicted that the cardinals would win the nfc west this season.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Wolf left after the 2001 draft

Sherman ran the 2002 - 2005 drafts -- they were reasonably productive picks given they were picking low in the first round-- the one big miss by Sherman was Ahmad Carrol:

1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson FS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Miami
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State, La.
6 200 Mike Houghton T San Diego State

1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee NT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer OLB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson CB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin WR South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells G Tennessee

1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California
2 51 Nick Collins FS Bethune-Cookman
2 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M
4 115 Marviel Underwood SS San Diego State
4 125 Brady Poppinga OLB Brigham Young
5 143 Junius Coston G North Carolina A&T
5 167 Michael Hawkins CB Oklahoma
6 180 Mike Montgomery DE Texas A&M
6 195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA
7 245 Kurt Campbell LB Albany, N.Y.
7 246 William Whitticker G Michigan State

Wow, those drafts are absolutely awful.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I asked a Packer fan that I work with about Sherman. He said exactly what you are saying here. He also said that we would be better off retaining Denny Green. That's a ringing endorsement.:sarcasm: