Minnesota Food

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So DCR, Linderbee, Donald and I have been doing tailgates themed to the Cardinals opponents' city. For the Broncos, it was Denver Omlets and Sunshine Wheat beer. For St Louis, it was ribs.

Are there any specialty foods for Minnesota? What is the area known for?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brats? (bratwurst) Any fried food. Hot dish (casserole)

Steaks.

Venison.

This is a lot of what they eat in Minny. I have lots of relatives and inlaws from there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also suggested Lutefisk (Norwegian fish) and/or venison stew.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pierogis!

For those of you who don't have a Busha at home, try Mrs. T's potato and cheese. :p

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats WAAAACK!!

Vikings look pretty barberic.. As in turkey/chicken leg-eating barberic.

Bing-o!

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The state fair proudly features a wide array of fried foods on a stick. Be very creative with what you fry and jam it on.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Blue Cheese.

Minnesota is home to first blue cheese manufacture ever in the US. They are still open today. They make it in these huge caves. I only know becuase I love me some blue cheese, the stinkier the better.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way am I eating blue cheese at a freaking tailgate. I refuse. Not even with wings.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
fried walleye (for those that dont know, its a fish)

and make sure you call whatever soda you drink "pop"

say "you betcha!" alot

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
fried walleye is awesome!

maybe the best freshwater eating fish there is

Fishing for them is a passion there, and as a fisherman other than their eating quality, I dont understand it.

They put up all the fight of an old boot. Yet on the opening day of fishing season, lots and lots of Minnesotans can be found out in bad weather slowing drowning worms hoping for one.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Walleye is the correct answer. Go back there about once a year, and lived in Minny for awhile, Walleye fishing is a rite of passage there. Pan fried walleye with a lemon butter sauce, delicious. Can you even find walleye here?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
deep fried walleye sounds great though.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sturgeon shakes ! 1 part whole fish 1 part ice cream put in the blender & serve. YUMMY

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
maybe the best freshwater eating fish there is

Fishing for them is a passion there, and as a fisherman other than their eating quality, I dont understand it.

They put up all the fight of an old boot. Yet on the opening day of fishing season, lots and lots of Minnesotans can be found out in bad weather slowing drowning worms hoping for one.

For those that don't know, I'm from MN and have been hanging out on your board for the last couple days in preperation for the game.

Walleye/Northern Pike/Crappie/Bass are all very sought after game fish in Mn. Walleye being # 1 by far. The reason is because they are 'usually' the biggest challenge to catch and the best eating by most standards. I like them all equally.

Walleye is a very finicky fish where you have to try multiple presentations to catch one. I.e. You could be fishing with a shiner minnow and a gold spinner and not have a bite. Switch to a fathead minnow w/ same gold spinner and you might start hammering them. Or one day a turquoise green lure and a leach will catch them but a lime green lure and a leach won't. It's the challenge. We fish them in boats and through the ice in the winter.

Back to the tailgating food question though. If your tailgating, I'm assuming your using grills. Wrap your walleye fillets in tin foil and add LOTS of butter and grill it. It's done when you can easily flake the fillet apart with a fork. Then grill 'hobo potatos' along with it. Cut up potatos into about 3/4" cubes. Cut up onion to add to your potatos and season with your favorite spices. Or just salt and pepper works. Add butter, wrap well in tin foil (so butter doesn't run out) and throw it on the grill. Start the taters before the fish though because the fish gets done much quicker.

Dats gud stuff der yah ya bet der den. :p

*edit* Don't forget to flip the tin foil packs or the food will burn and stick to the side the heat is on. Wrap well to keep butter contained.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerkyface jerk, having grown up in Arizona, having lived there from 1971 to 2005, I am fairly confident you won't be able to find decent walleye in Arizona.

Just saying.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Walleye is the correct answer. Go back there about once a year, and lived in Minny for awhile, Walleye fishing is a rite of passage there. Pan fried walleye with a lemon butter sauce, delicious. Can you even find walleye here?

Lived there for seven years, Its walleye for sure. They call it the filet mignon of fish. It is really great pan fried. You can buy it at AJ's for about $22 per pound.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05