Minnesota Food

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wash it down with a nice warm whiskey milk! :barf:

Rooster, do you think there would be a noticable difference between the typical Viking tailgate spread and the typical Packer spread.

Minus the freakazoid Packer fan of course.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lived there for seven years, Its walleye for sure. They call it the filet mignon of fish. It is really great pan fried. You can buy it at AJ's for about $22 per pound.

Wow, that is pricey. might as well eat steak. :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lived there for seven years, Its walleye for sure. They call it the filet mignon of fish. It is really great pan fried. You can buy it at AJ's for about $22 per pound.

Sounds wonderful...just not 22 per wonderful.

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
Rooster, do you think there would be a noticable difference between the typical Viking tailgate spread and the typical Packer spread.

Minus the freakazoid Packer fan of course.

Umm....I'm sure they are similar other than I bet the Packer spread includes A LOT of fried cheese products. They are not called cheeseheads for nothing! They are obsessed with cheese and I'm not even joking.

I think the 'typical' Viking spread would be BBQ ribs, steaks etc. I just threw out the walleye because that is a stereotypical MN food.

OH and the other difference is the Vikings fans are still sober enough to cook. The puker fans are laying face down in their own vomit while dogs run off with their cheese curds. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. In that case, we may be having brats. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm....I'm sure they are similar other than I bet the Packer spread includes A LOT of fried cheese products. They are not called cheeseheads for nothing! They are obsessed with cheese and I'm not even joking.

I think the 'typical' Viking spread would be BBQ ribs, steaks etc. I just threw out the walleye because that is a stereotypical MN food.

OH and the other difference is the Vikings fans are still sober enough to cook. The puker fans are laying face down in their own vomit while dogs run off with their cheese curds. :)
True, puker is funny, I prefer something that rhymes with dudge dacker

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I've been touching on the highlights of this thread for my wife, who's a native Minnesotan.

Walleye's fantastic. We go to the Twin Cities at least twice a year and hit the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul everytime for their grilled walleye. We'll be going there again in a couple of weeks...

My wife Amy also mentions Lefse - traditional Norwegian flatbread made of potato, milk and flour...cooked on a griddle.

I should also mention chocolate covered potato chips from Abdullah's...amazing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been touching on the highlights of this thread for my wife, who's a native Minnesotan.

Walleye's fantastic. We go to the Twin Cities at least twice a year and hit the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul everytime for their grilled walleye. We'll be going there again in a couple of weeks...

My wife Amy also mentions Lefse - traditional Norwegian flatbread made of potato, milk and flour...cooked on a griddle.

I should also mention chocolate covered potato chips from Abdullah's...amazing.

All right. I love chocolate and I love potato chips.

Where can I get some?

DKCards

Reaction score
Walleye is the correct answer. Go back there about once a year, and lived in Minny for awhile, Walleye fishing is a rite of passage there. Pan fried walleye with a lemon butter sauce, delicious. Can you even find walleye here?

Apache Lake

You could go catch them in the morning and fry them up before the game.......

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
Wow, that is pricey. might as well eat steak. :)

$22.00 / lb! That is ridiculous! I've never bought it in a store but I'm positive its not that expensive here.

Although by the time you pay for truck gas, boat gas, gear, licenses and beer - $22.00 / lb is probably pretty dang cheap!

:D

By the way, there is walleye in AZ. Google arizona walleye once.....

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Not trying to be a jerkyface jerk, having grown up in Arizona, having lived there from 1971 to 2005, I am fairly confident you won't be able to find decent walleye in Arizona.

Just saying.

they have them in Canyon Lake (or at least did at one point)

as rooster points out above, its like translating chinese in figuring out what they want on a given day

and if you do catch one, they give you one head shake and then come meekly to the boat. yawn.

both my parents grew up in Minnesota and spent my summers fishing the lakes. Would much rather fish for largemouth, smallmouth or northerns and then just go order some fried walleye at the end of the day.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
ST.Pauli Girl would be appropriate I would think.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK - Now that I'm hungry... (And a little nauseus.)

I'm thinkin' we'll go with a Marge Gunderson theme. Everytime we score we'll all stand up and yell, "YOU BETCHA!"

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
lefse is tasty and obtainable - but more of a snack

most MN foods are pretty bland

hot dishes are fairly popular (i could send recipes from my wifes MN Hotdish Cookbook................) - this would include the every popular tatertot hotdish

walleye is good, but not at that price point

if you can find some lutefisk you should have to eat just as a right of passage - none of the visiting viking fans could give you grief as 99% of them would run from the stuff

make some beer battered cheese curds - if you have a little fryer they're very good

i too will be back up there in a couple weeks - i have a couple spots i'll want to hit, but all in all the palettes tend to be a little on the linderbee side of things

Rooster7

Rookie
Reaction score
if you can find some lutefisk you should have to eat just as a right of passage - none of the visiting viking fans could give you grief as 99% of them would run from the stuff

You got that right! If you want a sample of what its like to eat lutefisk, go cut a 1" chunk off your tire, cover it in northern pike slime and chew it for 15 minutes before swallowing it hole.