Mitch Kupchak - Strategy

VinceBlack

Reaction score
I was listening to 570 this morning in LA and Mitch Kupchak was on. He said the Lakers' strategy is to add a solid veteran or two to their current roster. He feels they would have won 50+ games last year if they had remained healthy. He also said that Kobe's rant has not swayed him from the belief that this is the best approach for the Lakers and how they would approach the off-season.

That being said, he did mention that if the chance to add a big name presented itself, they would take a look at it. He still wasn't sure it would be best for the organization and that those types of deals are hard to get done.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
I heard the interview as well. Another thing that he mentioned is that by trying to sign veteran player and this year’s draft pick, they’d have a chance to build on this year’s success and take the next step of getting out of the first round next year and building upon that for the future. He did NOT promote a “win now” message. More of a continuing to slowly build and grow young players like Bynum (who he still seems to be holding out hope for). These comments definitely still conflict with what Kobe wants NOW.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Cup Check knows his days are numbered, so he's not going to publicly sell himself out with a radical redirection in policy. It's not necessarily what's going on behind the scenes, though.