Mitchell named Coach of the Year

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
TORONTO -- Sam Mitchell was honored as the NBA coach of the year Tuesday after leading the Toronto Raptors to a franchise-record-tying 47 victories and their first Atlantic Division title.
"It's a great honor," Mitchell said. "It floors you. You're thankful. Words just can't express it."
Mitchell won the Red Auerbach Trophy in a decisive vote over Utah's Jerry Sloan. He picked up 49 first-place votes for a total of 394 points in balloting by 128 basketball writers and broadcasters. Sloan had 301 points followed by Dallas' Avery Johnson with 268.
"We recognized him for it this morning, " forward Chris Bosh said. "But the thing I love about him is he said it was a team effort."
Mitchell, the sixth coach in Toronto's team's history, guided the Raptors to an NBA-best 20-game improvement (27-55) over the 2005-06 season. The Raptors trail New Jersey 1-0 in a first-round playoff series, with Game 2 Tuesday night in Toronto.
Guard Anthony Parker praised Mitchell for building unity on a team that added nine new faces before the season.
"From the summer, after I signed, his focus was trying to get us all in and get the chemistry going early," Parker said. "Throughout the course of the season we seemed to come together pretty nicely. Sam obviously was a huge part of that."

During a 13-year playing career that ended in 2002, Mitchell was held in high regard around the league as a student of the game. Following two seasons as an assistant, he was hired as the Raptors' coach on June 29, 2004.
"He's done a great job with the ballclub," forward Morris Peterson said Monday. "He's really grown a lot over his first couple of years coaching. If anybody in the NBA deserves it, it's him. He's proved a lot of people wrong."
Guard T.J. Ford said Mitchell puts his faith in the players.
"He's going to give us the structure offensively and defensively, but it's up to us to go out there execute," he said. "He puts it in our hands and lets us control it. He's been great in that aspect."

Mitchell is finishing the final season of his contract, but there has been ongoing discussion of an extension.
"I think he does [deserve a new contract]," Bosh said earlier this month. "That was the question. Can he win? And he's shown he can."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2847536

sunsfn

Reaction score
Bryan Colangelo just said "OH S!!!" Now I have to give him another contract and can not bring in Iavaroni from Phoenix!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Bryan Colangelo just said "OH S!!!" Now I have to give him another contract and can not bring in Iavaroni from Phoenix!

Rumor has it Charlotte has tabbed Mitchell as their top choice, and that the Raptors aren't really going to stand in his way of taking the job.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't this like the eighth time Sloan has finished second?

Poor Sloan, always the bridesmaid....... never the bride. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. It's impressive what he gets out of the players he has, but I hate the style of basketball Utah has always played.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it Charlotte has tabbed Mitchell as their top choice, and that the Raptors aren't really going to stand in his way of taking the job.

I can't see that happening. Would that be the 1st time that a COY didn't stay with the same team in the following year?

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
He deserved it, revamping a roster as drastically as the Raps did someone needs to get credit for team chemistry, while Colangelo certainly gets credit for bringing all the right pieces together.

One more thing i'm excited about: Their seven foot European white guy just had a much better rookie season than the Mavericks seven foot European white guy had when he entered the league... hmm... too early to start talking about the next Dirk?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing i'm excited about: Their seven foot European white guy just had a much better rookie season than the Mavericks seven foot European white guy had when he entered the league... hmm... too early to start talking about the next Dirk?

Yes.

fordronken

Reaction score
I don't get how Jeff Van Gundy didn't get more votes. His top two players played together something like 30 games and he still had the top defensive team in the league and finished with home court in the first round.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd have voted for Don Nelson. The Raptors were successful in a very weak conference. Nelson brought the Warriors from deep lottery to the playoffs with a team nobody wanted.

None the less, I'm sure Sam is deserving.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get how Jeff Van Gundy didn't get more votes. His top two players played together something like 30 games and he still had the top defensive team in the league and finished with home court in the first round.

He only coaches one end of the floor, he has no idea how to coordinate his team offensively. He's lucky he has a huge Chinese guy to lob it to in the paint and one of the better scorers in the league to control the ball. They were out quite a bit, but at least one of them were playing for the majority of Rockets games... those are two guys who can control the offense by themselves.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Mitchell proved an eternal point in the NBA: You are a better coach when you have better players.

I have to wonder how many people were smoking a really big joint when they voted. Yes, the Raptors won 20 more games than last year, but their GM provided him with two of the three best rookies in the game, while revamping a roster that actually supports the talent of Chris Bosh. Meanwhile, the Raptors finished first in the WEAKEST division in basketball and didn't even win 50 games doing it.

Colangelo for GM of the year, yes. He should've won it last year. But no way Mitchell for coach of the year. There are at least three other guys I would've given it to -- Avery, Nellie, and Sloan. And even then, I would've been tempted to throw George Karl out there for the way he got Carmelo and AI to work together and finally getting Nene to realize Nene is a ginormous freak of nature who should play like a ginormous freak of nature. Mitchell's a distant fifth in my book.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05