Mock Draft By Local Sports Writers

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I luv that draft...but there isn't a chance in hell Bruce Carter sees Rd 4!!!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we end up with Peterson or Miller, I'll be happy because we already got Horton running the show. I think he can utilize either one while improving our performance with the guys we already have.

Unless Whiz already has a QB in mind for free agency (like a done deal scenario), or he believes Skelton is the man, how can he not think about taking a QB with the first pick?

He is not only on the offensive side of the football, I still believe that was our biggest problem last year. He needs to fix what he is in control of, not pass off the playcall, and bring in Bulger.

Without a QB, Whiz sucks. If we start Skelton, I'm cool with that, but I if it's Bulger or someone with no future, whats the point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If we end up with Peterson or Miller, I'll be happy because we already got Horton running the show. I think he can utilize either one while improving our performance with the guys we already have.

Unless Whiz already has a QB in mind for free agency (like a done deal scenario), or he believes Skelton is the man, how can he not think about taking a QB with the first pick?

He is not only on the offensive side of the football, I still believe that was our biggest problem last year. He needs to fix what he is in control of, not pass off the playcall, and bring in Bulger.

Without a QB, Whiz sucks. If we start Skelton, I'm cool with that, but I if it's Bulger or someone with no future, whats the point.

If it's a rookie QB, what's the point? We'll still suck this year. I am so very tired of people blindly saying we MUST take a QB at #5, as if it will be some kind of magic fix this season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a rookie QB, what's the point? We'll still suck this year. I am so very tired of people blindly saying we MUST take a QB at #5, as if it will be some kind of magic fix this season.

There is no magic fix this year, so why not think long term?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I like Bruce Cooper's draft alot.

The one thing that I don't get, and I see this in a lot of mock drafts, is late round FB picks.

Do we pick a FB in the late rounds with hope that he will be the one guy who will beat the odds and make the football team and have an impact. Or do we just draft him knowing that he will be a special teamer and then cut after the last preseason game?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score

That's simple. Because you are looking at it from the point of view of a fan...who will support the team for the indefinite future and Whiz is looking at it from the point of view of a head coach on the hot seat...who may get axed if the team only wins 6 games next year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's simple. Because you are looking at it from the point of view of a fan...who will support the team for the indefinite future and Whiz is looking at it from the point of view of a head coach on the hot seat...who may get axed if the team only wins 6 games next year.

Well, Whiz signed a new deal last year and there is nothing on the horizon to say that he's on the hot-seat. If a QB is selected it won't simply be a Whiz decision, but a complete buy-in by the Bidwill's, management and the head coach. Whether it's a QB, CB, LB... etc., it is buying an unfinished product and projecting the impact years down the road.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

There is some magic to fix 2011. Figure out how to stop blowing leads, you would think they were the baseball Cardinals, and get the guys to suck up and play some hard nosed football instead of quitting whenever things get tough or they don't think the games are important.

Eagles 48 Cards 20
Vikings 35 Cards 14
Patriots 47 Cards 7
GB 33 Cards 7
SEA 36 Cards 18
KC 31 Cards 13
SF 27 Cards 6
SF 38 Cards 7

:bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow, in looking back at the games the last 3 years in addition to the losses above the Cards have also lost

41-7
41-10
31-10
45-14
56-35

And won a game 51-45!!!!

Maybe CKW isn't the great HC we think he is and just got lucky playing in a really weak Division and a hot playoff run? He sure hasn't given us any Defense to watch during his tenure. 426 points allowed during their SB year?!?!?!?!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Whiz signed a new deal last year and there is nothing on the horizon to say that he's on the hot-seat. If a QB is selected it won't simply be a Whiz decision, but a complete buy-in by the Bidwill's, management and the head coach. Whether it's a QB, CB, LB... etc., it is buying an unfinished product and projecting the impact years down the road.

Exactly. Whiz has another 2-3 years at least.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some magic to fix 2011. Figure out how to stop blowing leads, you would think they were the baseball Cardinals, and get the guys to suck up and play some hard nosed football instead of quitting whenever things get tough or they don't think the games are important.

Eagles 48 Cards 20
Vikings 35 Cards 14
Patriots 47 Cards 7
GB 33 Cards 7
SEA 36 Cards 18
KC 31 Cards 13
SF 27 Cards 6
SF 38 Cards 7

:bang:

You think there is a magic fix to stop being blown out? Enlighten me.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with drafting a QB this year isnt that looking for magic.. Is that they all suck this year..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You think there is a magic fix to stop being blown out? Enlighten me.

OK

As a player on another team has said that when the going gets tough the Cardinals fold. Just look at the results after the Monday Night Meltdown of 2006 or the Farve fiasco of 2010 or the 2008 games after the Cards virtually locked up the Division Title.

Fixing that attitude will do far more than any draft picks to improve this football team. And it can be done over one off season.

I think that's one very important reason the Cards hired Coach Dread to be Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully unlike Grimm he won't be Retired In Place.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK

As a player on another team has said that when the going gets tough the Cardinals fold. Just look at the results after the Monday Night Meltdown of 2006 or the Farve fiasco of 2010 or the 2008 games after the Cards virtually locked up the Division Title.

Fixing that attitude will do far more than any draft picks to improve this football team. And it can be done over one off season.

I think that's one very important reason the Cards hired Coach Dread to be Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully unlike Grimm he won't be Retired In Place.
Any thoughts on if the Cards not bringing back Rolle and Dansby had anything to do with this?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
OK

IMO thats why getting players that don`t quit (Kerrigan,JJ Watt types ) who don`t bellyup when losing.Time for smart hustling no quit type players.Enough primma donna showboats.Get some solid football players.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

That is a good point, however, Whiz just signed an extension and the Bidwill's tend to honor contracts with their coaches for the duration of the contract. McGinnis and Tobin were both kept for their full contracts. Dennis Green and Buddy Ryan were both terminated prior to their contract ending, however, their terminations were more based on embarrassing the team in high profile games rather than their overall record.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That is a good point, however, Whiz just signed an extension and the Bidwill's tend to honor contracts with their coaches for the duration of the contract. McGinnis and Tobin were both kept for their full contracts. Dennis Green and Buddy Ryan were both terminated prior to their contract ending, however, their terminations were more based on embarrassing the team in high profile games rather than their overall record.

Tobin was replaced after the Cowboy game fiasco midway through the 2000 season. He did not make it to the end of his contract.

A brilliant move by the Bidwills producing the following eight losses in the next nine games:

31-14
34-9
31-7
24-13
44-10
13-7
20-3

Looks a lot like last season doesn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05