Mock Draft By Local Sports Writers

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OK

As a player on another team has said that when the going gets tough the Cardinals fold. Just look at the results after the Monday Night Meltdown of 2006 or the Farve fiasco of 2010 or the 2008 games after the Cards virtually locked up the Division Title.

Fixing that attitude will do far more than any draft picks to improve this football team. And it can be done over one off season.

I think that's one very important reason the Cards hired Coach Dread to be Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully unlike Grimm he won't be Retired In Place.

We need more players with GRIT

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If we end up with Peterson or Miller, I'll be happy because we already got Horton running the show. I think he can utilize either one while improving our performance with the guys we already have.

Unless Whiz already has a QB in mind for free agency (like a done deal scenario), or he believes Skelton is the man, how can he not think about taking a QB with the first pick?

He is not only on the offensive side of the football, I still believe that was our biggest problem last year. He needs to fix what he is in control of, not pass off the playcall, and bring in Bulger.

Without a QB, Whiz sucks. If we start Skelton, I'm cool with that, but I if it's Bulger or someone with no future, whats the point.

If we start Skelton this year we will likely end up in last place. The guy is basically a rookie with 4 games of experience. He did not even get a lot of snaps as the thrid string QB behind Hall who should not even be in the NFL. Maybe two years from now Skelton may be a good QB. Maybe not. What if he is a bust then who do we have as a QB for next year and the year after that? What if Skelton gets injured? Is Hall going to take over? That is a scary thought to say the least. We simply have to draft a QB hopefully first but at least in round 2 to have some backup for the future in training. What if the Panthers take Gabbert and Newton is there when we draft???

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we start Skelton this year we will likely end up in last place. The guy is basically a rookie with 4 games of experience. He did not even get a lot of snaps as the thrid string QB behind Hall who should not even be in the NFL. Maybe two years from now Skelton may be a good QB. Maybe not. What if he is a bust then who do we have as a QB for next year and the year after that? What if Skelton gets injured? Is Hall going to take over? That is a scary thought to say the least. We simply have to draft a QB hopefully first but at least in round 2 to have some backup for the future in training. What if the Panthers take Gabbert and Newton is there when we draft???

I dont even think Hall will be on the roster come week 1.. DA is gone no doubt.. We will have a vet, Skelton and maybe another vet aor a rookie on the team come week 1..

And its being reported that its a 90% chance that the Panthers take Newton..

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If it's a rookie QB, what's the point? We'll still suck this year. I am so very tired of people blindly saying we MUST take a QB at #5, as if it will be some kind of magic fix this season.

Taking a QB is not for this year. It is for next year or the year after that. What if Skelton is a bust or gets injured? Who do we send in? Hall? He should not even be in the NFL. QB is the greatest need of this team no question about it. Maybe our leaders do not see any QB worth a #5 pick. So be it but that does not solve our QB problem which I restate is not for this year but for the following years. By the end of round 2 there will be 5 QBs taken so clearly the teams in need of a QB are going after one and find them worthy of a #1 or #2 round selection. If our leaders do not think we have a serious QB problem then they should not be our leaders. If they do recognize the seriousness of this problem then what is their play to address it? We shall begin to see after the draft and conclusion of a CBA.
We will be lucky to go 8/8 this year. More than likely 6/10 so no matter what stud we draft he will not be in a position to put this team into contention this year. The only position on a team that has enough influence to change the outcome of a complete season is a QB. Peterson or Miller will likely be great players and would certainly help our team but if we had both of them it would not solve the problem of no worthy QB this season or any season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Somers among others on a Sunday night sports show on local channel 12. What struck me the most, is Somers believes there will be a run on QBs in the draft. He didn't know when but he said something to the effect that if you're sitting there in the second round expecting to draft a QB, they may be gone.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Somers among others on a Sunday night sports show on local channel 12. What struck me the most, is Somers believes there will be a run on QBs in the draft. He didn't know when but he said something to the effect that if you're sitting there in the second round expecting to draft a QB, they may be gone.
Sounds like something Somers would say. Maybe, could be, :shrug:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I think this QB class sucks, so if we draft one at #5 we are hurting ourselves both long term and short term.
I have come around the your thoughts on QB. Neither Newton nor Gabbert has enough of a meaningful body of work in college for me to think they are the long term answer to a point where they justified being drafted at #5.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because I think this QB class sucks, so if we draft one at #5 we are hurting ourselves both long term and short term.
Opinions are like desertdawgs...everybody has one. If you are so sure that both Cam and Gabbert are bust-town, why are they even projected to go in the top 10?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have come around the your thoughts on QB. Neither Newton nor Gabbert has enough of a meaningful body of work in college for me to think they are the long term answer to a point where they justified being drafted at #5.
Newton beat everybody in front of him (basically by himself at first, then his teams gained confidence), he won 2 titles and a strike a pose trophy.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Mayock and Lombardi said the same thing. Teams like Tennessee, Cincy, and possibly Minnesota will try to trade up into the bottom of the first round to get guys like Dalton or Ponder or Mallet who clearly aren't high first-round talent, but are worth the risk-reward of a low first-round pick.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newton beat everybody in front of him (basically by himself at first, then his teams gained confidence), he won 2 titles and a strike a pose trophy.
One title was in Junior College or something, right? Who cares? Heisman? Who cares? One year in the single wing at Auburn (per Parcells), blech.

:)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Opinions are like desertdawgs...everybody has one. If you are so sure that both Cam and Gabbert are bust-town, why are they even projected to go in the top 10?

Because even in bad QB drafts, teams are always desperate to get their QBOF. They had a special on it this morning on the NFL Network. I think it was the '93 QB class they were really bagging on, that didn't have talent at all but still had really high picks.

Let me ask it this way...do you believe there is no such thing as a bad QB class? Because if you do, then go on to show me a draft--any year--where a QB wasn't taken in the 1st round, or even the top 10. Just because teams will take a QB high, or even #1 overall, doesn't mean they're right to do so.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because even in bad QB drafts, teams are always desperate to get their QBOF. They had a special on it this morning on the NFL Network. I think it was the '93 QB class they were really bagging on, that didn't have talent at all but still had really high picks.

Let me ask it this way...do you believe there is no such thing as a bad QB class? Because if you do, then go on to show me a draft--any year--where a QB wasn't taken in the 1st round, or even the top 10. Just because teams will take a QB high, or even #1 overall, doesn't mean they're right to do so.
See Mark Sanchez picked #6. Has he justified that pick? There might at least be an argument. Maybe.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stayed in school. Not cheated so much at Florida. Named a play from his playbook.

:)
He does kinda suck off the field. A lot of guys like that are pretty successful in the Big Leagues suck off the field though. You get what you pay for, Newton IMO will be around the Josh Freeman level and maybe even Big Ben's. (uh oh, K9's gonna get me :D)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something Somers would say. Maybe, could be, :shrug:

The qualifiers are basically on my part because I could I could not find the replay of the video. Somers was fairly specific, there will be a run on QBs. Just cannot be sure of getting a QB in round 2 is my recollection. I presume Somers was talking about better known QBs that have been discussed going in the second round.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does kinda suck off the field. A lot of guys like that are pretty successful in the Big Leagues suck off the field though. You get what you pay for, Newton IMO will be around the Josh Freeman level and maybe even Big Ben's. (uh oh, K9's gonna get me :D)
What was the game on Thanksgiving, where Newt was throwing all over the place. I liked him that day. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
See Mark Sanchez picked #6. Has he justified that pick? There might at least be an argument. Maybe.

My point is that, IF a QB draft class is bad, teams will still reach for them. Sanchez has shown he's pretty good so far, so I would say he's justified the pick. I doubt the Lions were able to justify the Joey Harrington pick ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05