Mock Draft By Local Sports Writers

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that, IF a QB draft class is bad, teams will still reach for them. Sanchez has shown he's pretty good so far, so I would say he's justified the pick. I doubt the Lions were able to justify the Joey Harrington pick ;)
29 TDS 33 INT for Sanchez. :) Correct on Harrington.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Newton beat everybody in front of him (basically by himself at first, then his teams gained confidence), he won 2 titles and a strike a pose trophy.

So did Vince Young...the greatest thing since sliced bread & he soon will be looking for a new team. I think Cam is mentally tougher than VY, but that also doesn't make him an all-pro pocket passer either.

Dawg, I don't think Newton goes on to be a terrble NFL QB but to think he doesn't have a steep learning curve that may take 3 or more years is crazy. History says great QB's are predominately pocket passers & don't come from spread offenses. The red flags are there, therefore I don't think he's worth a top pick...but as you say everyone has their opinion. Call me in 5 years about Newton :D

BTW IMO don't see any franchise QB's in this draft

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like Bruce Cooper's draft alot.

The one thing that I don't get, and I see this in a lot of mock drafts, is late round FB picks.

Do we pick a FB in the late rounds with hope that he will be the one guy who will beat the odds and make the football team and have an impact. Or do we just draft him knowing that he will be a special teamer and then cut after the last preseason game?

If this were the case, we'd be drafting a fullback in the 3rd round.

Because even in bad QB drafts, teams are always desperate to get their QBOF. They had a special on it this morning on the NFL Network. I think it was the '93 QB class they were really bagging on, that didn't have talent at all but still had really high picks.

Let me ask it this way...do you believe there is no such thing as a bad QB class? Because if you do, then go on to show me a draft--any year--where a QB wasn't taken in the 1st round, or even the top 10. Just because teams will take a QB high, or even #1 overall, doesn't mean they're right to do so.

In 2000 Chad Pennington didn't get picked until 18th overall. That was a bad QB class.

In 1997, Jim Druckenmiller didn't get picked until 26th overall. THAT was a bad QB class (although Plummer was the belle of that particular ball).

In 1996 no QBs went off the board in the first round. That is the only class since 1988 where a QB wasn't taken in the first.

He does kinda suck off the field. A lot of guys like that are pretty successful in the Big Leagues suck off the field though. You get what you pay for, Newton IMO will be around the Josh Freeman level and maybe even Big Ben's. (uh oh, K9's gonna get me :D)

I've compared Newton to Roethlisberger multiple times. I went on a whole run of comparisons of Newton to the rest of the NFL: Freeman with mobility, Vincanity without the insanity, Tebow without the virginity, Roethlisberger without the rape kit.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've compared Newton to Roethlisberger multiple times. I went on a whole run of comparisons of Newton to the rest of the NFL: Freeman with mobility, Vincanity without the insanity, Tebow without the virginity, Roethlisberger without the rape kit.
hastheball.gif
(good stuff)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought he was worth it, but those look Leinart-esque numbers.... He must be a bust....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If Somers is right its Miller, Peterson or Green at #5.

I found the comment about being interested in Zach Miller being a good thing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Somers is right its Miller, Peterson or Green at #5.

I found the comment about being interested in Zach Miller being a good thing.

I do not think the Cardinals trade down if Miller is there period. Peterson is their second choice. Somers also mentioned Dareus on one occasion in different scenarios but then quickly added trade down in the same breath. Perhaps if Miller is gone and Gabbert is still on the board, they might do a trade down but the offer would have to blow them away because they like Peterson a lot. I'm thinking the Cardinals really want to go defense in the first round.

I'd really like to see Zach Miller in a Cardinals uniform.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

There's a guy who threw 43 Interceptions his first two years in the NFL.

I think his name was Manning, P.

There was another guy Gil Favor or something like that who threw 37 interceptions his first two full years as a starter.

There was some Car Dealer in Denver that had 47 TDs and 51 Ints his first three seasons.

Another guy who played a little for Dallas had 20 TDs and 36 INTs his first two seasons.

:D

Then there was this kid from ASU who one year had 9 TD passes and 24 interceptions. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05