Monday Evening Thoughts: Game 14

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I spent most of the first quarter on the phone with DirecTV trying to figure out why the game was blacked out...they couldn't give me an answer. So I was relegated to watching and listening to the game on the tiny Game Channel screen and occasionally on The Red Zone---so honestly I missed being able to focus on the line play.

1. Epic Meltdowns.

No lead is safe when teams go into the prevent mode. Look at the Browns' 4th quarter collapse last week versus the Pats. Look at the Packers' incredible come from 23 down to win at Dallas.

BA said Todd Bowles used "every play on his sheet."

Except the ones where you play man on all 5 eligible receivers and keep 2 deep at safety.

The wide open receivers---repeatedly---even in OT---was a major mental gaffe by Bowles and the defense.

What's strange about this is---Bowles has been doing the right thing in coverage in recent weeks. And the team has shown it can for the first time in ages generate pressure with 4 rushers.

The pass rushers need to pin their ears back and feast off those situations. Yesterday they didn't in the 4th quarter. Weird.

2. Drive Extenders.

Horrible and stupid penalties for the Cardinals in this game, save Rashad Johnson's clean hit in the end zone. That one drive where they had the Titans stopped three times on third downs was excruciating.

Penalties are always a sign that a team doesn't have its head in the game.

3. The Cason in Point.

He plays the ball.

Because he actually turns to see the ball.

In this defense that's a smart thing to do if you are a DB.

Powers has been a weak link almost every game---and is almost never in a position to make a play on the ball.

Cason comes in and in one game makes two of the biggest plays of the year. if not for him, the vitriol on this board today would be off the charts.

4. The Deep Breath Technique.

I sat there as you did and watched the 17 point lead dissipate faster than a thin coat of snow on a 50 degree morning...and for some strange reason, I just got up when OT started, put the game on pause, poured myself a drink, and said just take a deep breath because maybe, just maybe, these boys can come back from this.

I recommend the technique.

When Feely split those uprights everything was good and right.

5. The Temptation to Write About Next Year.

Not going to do it. We will have forever and a day before next year's May draft, ugh. I just want to continue to see how this team, these coaches and these players continue to perform---and expend all my energy and thoughts into how in the world they can go into Seattle and stick the Space Needle into those cocky, arrogant, trash-talking, sideline strutting Seahawks. Harken back if you will to the day BA was hired and Steve Keim was at the podium and what was the one game that he swore would never happen on his watch as GM. Steve Keim has his hands on the Space Needle as we speak.

6. Carson City V. 2.0.

You know---he's more emotional, more demonstrative and he's learned that taking a sack here and there is better than throwing the ball up for grabs. Let's see if he can continue his strong second half push. The man is winning me over. How about you?

7. Saint Peterson.

Rough one for him yesterday---but, in fairness, no safety shades to his side and we all know why. I love the guy. This week, imo, we will see his true talent like we haven't seen it before.

8. Cold Play.

Major kudos to the Cardinals' offense for being left in a deep freeze for the last half an hour of the game while it became the Ryan Fitzpatrick Show. They calmly took charge of the game sans Larry Fitzgerald off of Cason's interception and methodically marched down to the Titans' 20 yard line. Mendy was tough...the line got off the ball...no brain fart penalties...no sacks...a nice pitch and catch to Dray over the middle. That was a beautiful little drive, particularly under the circumstances.

9. The Juke.

Most exciting play of the game was, imo, the pass to Juke over the middle where he left two Titans with their jocks up to their chinstraps. The versatility is exhilarating---even the FOX crew remarked, "that was a WR route." You know what? it was.

10. Taylor Made.

Best hit of the day? Stepfan Taylor's hit on the ever-dangerous, always seems to break a big one versus the Cardinals, Leon Washington. Not this time, baby!

Reaction score
Good post Mitch. I'm kicking myself for missing the start of the 2nd half. I completely missed Feelys pooch kick & Cards recovery.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
6. Carson City V. 2.0.

You know---he's more emotional, more demonstrative and he's learned that taking a sack here and there is better than throwing the ball up for grabs. Let's see if he can continue his strong second half push. The man is winning me over. How about you?

He's winning me back to where I had him before the first few games. But I honestly don't think Carson fixed Carson. I think he's getting tons of help from BA in playcalling and Oline help. And most importantly, the receivers are helping him out tons by being where they're supposed to be and contesting more 50-50 balls than they were earlier in the year. He's still doinking balls off defenders but at least now the receivers are knocking it away. That being said he's playing very well obviously and seems to be getting rid of the ball faster (which again, is easier when the WRs are where they're supposed to be).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I agree on the prevent defense. Ugh. Can't let that happen again. Ryan Fitzpatrick was really good, I think he might have played the game of his life. He might be better than Jake Locker.

I am not sure I have ever seen a player turn his season around better than Carson Palmer. Very impressive. Myself and many others were thinking he should be benched, but Arians was having none of that. Carson is most definitely the leader of the offense, and the offense has been surprisingly potent (run and pass) the last few weeks. Also the cheap shot at his ankle in the first looked especially painful. Very impressed with Carson to tough it out the entire game in 35 degree weather.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up Mitch! Too bad our odds at getting a playoff berth are about like winning the lotto, given the stacked decked in the next 2 games & teams ahead of us :(

I could see this team going into Philly & winning that playoff game, then who knows from there. This is an entertaining team, that hopefully doesn't lose much of its depth given all the 1 yr deals.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards haven't yet figured out how to replace TM. He played all over the field and the Cards were able to disguise their coverage because TM was plugging in at several positions. Now teams can clue into our D calls based on the DBs coming-and-going on the field.

Signs of fatigue in some of the guys (like PP). He's getting work on the D, returns, and offense---it has to be taking a toll. Also, TM was in on almost all the D plays and then gets injured returning a kick. The same concern with overuse needs to apply to the D as applies to Ellington. Having to get up for several games in a roll will result in emotional and physical burnout. (Plenty of posters are burnt just from watching the games---imagine what is going on with the players.)

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wide open receivers---repeatedly---even in OT---was a major mental gaffe by Bowles and the defense.
It was mind boggling. They were so wide open it was a joke. What kind of defense was that?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carson Palmer really has won me over. Watching him come in after getting the ankle taped up and continuing to move the ball was impressive.

He stayed calm no matter what and his experience won the game for us.

As for having a drink when things get tough? I typically beat the rush and start before the game begins. :D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
#1 - The Titans have one of the better offensive lines in football. Thus no pass rush, thus no coverage.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#1 - The Titans have one of the better offensive lines in football. Thus no pass rush, thus no coverage.

BA said on his weekly interview on 620 that the Titans Oline is good but he expected our DL to win some of those one on one battles and get some sacks and was disappointed that it didn't happen much it at all.

Is this BA firing a shot across the bow of the collective Dline? They will need to be 100% fired up for any chance against the Seahawks. Oline will need to have their best game yet as well.

Bowles and the DB's will get things ironed out but the Honey Badger will be missed.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Prevent Defense

The good news is we won't see Cards in prevent defense the rest of the year...the bad news is we won't see the Cards in prevent defense the rest of the year.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Your point on Jerraud Powers is well-taken. #2 cornerback is one area where I wouldn't mind spending one of the first three draft picks on.

Hard to believe that missing Tyrann Mathieu was the cause of such a massive dropoff in the defense's performance. Even granted that they don't play as well on the road, that was not their finest hour.

The acid test for the offensive line and Carson Palmer comes this Sunday in Seattle. A lotta men have tried and a lotta men have died in Seattle. Your description of the arrogant Seahawks is right on. Be nice if the Big Red pulled the upset of the week in the Northwest.

I still don't see much respect for the Cardinals across the league.
For Bruce Arians as coach of the year? Yes!
For the Cardinals? Not so much.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Great write up, Mitch. Going to try to have a couple shots the next time the Cards go into overtime. I did love the way the Cards ran the ball in OT to set up Feely for the game winner. And it felt good to see that kick sail straight through the pipes after an extra point appeared to squeak through earlier.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, the pass rush is ultimately what led to our win in OT. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I know I'm enjoying this season too much to worry about next year. It seems that's the general feeling on the board, and I couldn't be happier.

I think that we're going to keep Carson Palmer aboard for another year, even if he's going to have a $10M cap hold. It's really not a HUGE number, and he's playing like a slightly above-average quarterback.

I wonder if the deal with Peterson is that he spent the whole week studying on the WR who ended up being inactive for team rules reasons. That may fudge anyone up--imagine studying all week on Michael Crabtree only to find Anquan Boldin to be your assignment. Peterson has tended to struggle against shiftier guys, and if the Cards were playing more zone, that tends to work away from Peterson's strengths.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The pass rushers need to pin their ears back and feast off those situations. Yesterday they didn't in the 4th quarter. Weird.

3. The Cason in Point.

Cason comes in and in one game makes two of the biggest plays of the year. if not for him, the vitriol on this board today would be off the charts.

expend all my energy and thoughts into how in the world they can go into Seattle and stick the Space Needle into those cocky, arrogant, trash-talking, sideline strutting Seahawks. Harken back if you will to the day BA was hired and Steve Keim was at the podium and what was the one game that he swore would never happen on his watch as GM. Steve Keim has his hands on the Space Needle as we speak.

6. Carson City V. 2.0.

I guess we have to give their OL some props here. Munchak is their coach. Fitzpatrick gave us fits this day also.

3. Shout out to Tony Jefferson here.

6. He's still not the long term answer by any means. We need to have someone truely waiting in the wings by next season. I still give Palmer the ball next season however. He's earned that now.

Thank God we're in the hunt because May would be even further off if we weren't ;)

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I wonder if the deal with Peterson is that he spent the whole week studying on the WR who ended up being inactive for team rules reasons. That may fudge anyone up--imagine studying all week on Michael Crabtree only to find Anquan Boldin to be your assignment. Peterson has tended to struggle against shiftier guys, and if the Cards were playing more zone, that tends to work away from Peterson's strengths.

This is a fair point, we are all upset with Peterson for having a bad game, but given the circumstances, oh well. He's had enough fantastic games for us to forgive a bad game, especially since we won. Had we lost and he gave up several catches on the game winning drive or the touchdown, then I would understand why we would be upset. 3rd year player, still hasn't reached his max potential yet.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I know I'm enjoying this season too much to worry about next year. It seems that's the general feeling on the board, and I couldn't be happier.

I think that we're going to keep Carson Palmer aboard for another year, even if he's going to have a $10M cap hold. It's really not a HUGE number, and he's playing like a slightly above-average quarterback.

Good post.

That Kendall Wright may have been chosen in the 1st round for a reason........

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I am not.

"Bad game" and we win ?

Sure.

Again, I just hope offenses keep throwing the ball his way.

I'm not upset either so maybe it was an unfair generalization, but there seemed to be a lot of venom in various places about how Peterson played. Some days, you just don't have it. Or you prepared for a different type of receiver than what you ended up playing.

Also, Fitzpatrick just made some great plays. He escaped sure sacks several times and found open receivers. If your dline can't bring down the QB, someone is eventually going to break coverage and get open. Eventually in the NFL is just seconds of time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitzpatrick broke out several times, and hit guys on broken routes. That's tough to cover. Have to get those sacks.

seesred

Reaction score
I hope Palmer can give us 2 plus years after this one. In the same system he will be even better next year as we keep upgrading our O-line which has improved when added help was put in' Good coaching. I always drink tequila during Cardinal games. I find it;s the only way to get through.

PP didn't show his best but we really missed TM. PP is a very good player who one day will become the great player we all know he can be. Sundays game should have been easy IMO the refs made it is rough on us as we did.

Imagine when we beat Seattle this Sunday with our new mega star Mr. Ellington. He is something to watch and was responsable for almost all our big plays on the ground and in the air. He gets the ball and creates excitement.

I could go on, but wish to thank you BA for getting this show we have this year no matter what happens at the last game.

GBR

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice post Mitch! I can't wait to see how we do against the Seahawks and 49ers these last two games. That will tell us how far we have come this year to taking our division back from the riff raff.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm not upset either so maybe it was an unfair generalization, but there seemed to be a lot of venom in various places about how Peterson played.

Some people will complain about the harp music in heaven.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fitzpatrick broke out several times, and hit guys on broken routes. That's tough to cover. Have to get those sacks.

I just watched the 4th quarter on nfl rewind and I didn't see a lot of that or Fitzpatrick having a ton of time to throw. What I saw was Fitzpatrick getting the ball out in less than three seconds to wide open receivers or to guys who were covered but made great catches. There were only a couple of plays where the Titans QB got away.

Calais has always had problems tackling the QB when he gets to him. Just something weird about him. Maybe he's too tall. Meanwhile the D had 3 sacks so they weren't totally out of whack.

I still think our secondary is second rate in coverage and that is why teams move down the field on the Cards with ease until they get into the redzone where there is less room for pass catchers to maneuver.

But hey that's just me and whatever I think, or write or say about the Cardinals the opposite happens. :p