Monday Morning Thoughts: Game 9

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In Palmer's defense, he tried to step up in the pocket MANY, MANY times this game. Twice he actually jumped over the surging defensive line pressure that was coming up the middle to try and toss a pass. Not to mention Palmer got rocked while stepping up to deliver the TD pass to Andre Roberts to win the game. To say Palmer is refusing to step up in the pocket is gross hyperbole, and just not true. Granted you give Palmer his due, and yes I agree with too many throws off the back foot, but there is no need to go into extremes, IMO.

The offensive interior line is horrible, that will change, but right now, any QB who is stepping up into that mess coming at him, is a brave soul in my book. To say Daryn Colledge had a good game is a bit much. I didn't see it, that is for sure. Our interior line was getting beaten pretty badly, but our tackles, especially in the run game were, as you say, getting after it. Again, I have yet to see or hear a reason why Sowell should not be resigned as this team's right guard in the offseason.

Speaking of Andre Roberts, he may be learning new tricks, but he is back to his old habits. Again, he is much, much better than in year's past, but he is always good for dropping one clutch pass that hits him in the hands, and he did it again this weekend in dropping a TD pass. Maybe if he spent more time thinking about catching the ball, and less about what he is going to complain about to the refs.

As for what is going on with Fitzgerald.......there is a reason everyone else is open. As for the offensive PI ? Bold call by the refs, bold call. Yet, there is no doubt, there is something not right going on with Fitzgerald.

We remain really hurting on the left side DE. For some years now. Seems like we could pick up some older guy like Abraham or get fortunate in the draft. We are a DE and QB short on being a a real contender in our division. There must be a Wilson or Keppernick out there we could luck into. Meantime let us hope Palmer regains his former skills. He can still through a good pass in a crowd but must cut down on his intercepts. Many of his problems are caused by the line and there are no room to step up or back. He is willing to take the hits and is still tough. If Tebow were cheap would he not have been a guy who you could use near the goal line to run or even pass. He clearly is not a full time QB but is big and tough and could throw the occasional pass to give the defense something to think about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Raises the questions: "How long can we wait for Watford to develop? What time-line have the coaches set for his development? How's he doing? Are the scouting reports being cited for Watford recent or are they a half-year old?

Right now, all I know is that he looked good coming out of the draft, and BA said nice things toward the end of preseason. If you look at other young prospects said to have potential, you also see validation of this in the form of more playing time (& production) on the field (i.e. Ellington, J Brown, Mathieu, Jefferson and even Taylor and T Williams).

Despite a need to upgrade our OL, we don't see Watford being brought along at quite the same pace - which raises questions in my mind about whether the coaches feel he's as good as many of us seem to think he is

I don't think they should wait for him at all. The waiver wire is full of athletic talent that couldn't handle or figure out the game. He has talent, that is why he was drafted, but talent is no reason to wait for him to develop. Competition will either push him up or down the depth chart depending on how he reacts to it. If he reacts well we will have a good player, and if he doesn't, then we will have someone else to step up. The only certainty is that we won't be taking an OG in the 1st round next year though I would like Gabe Jackson from Mississippi St. in the 3rd round if he drops.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think they should wait for him at all. The waiver wire is full of athletic talent that couldn't handle or figure out the game. He has talent, that is why he was drafted, but talent is no reason to wait for him to develop. Competition will either push him up or down the depth chart depending on how he reacts to it. If he reacts well we will have a good player, and if he doesn't, then we will have someone else to step up. The only certainty is that we won't be taking an OG in the 1st round next year though I would like Gabe Jackson from Mississippi St. in the 3rd round if he drops.

Supposedly the guy has freakish natural strength and ability to move people with little effort. That's probably what's making it so hard for them to let it go and move on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake