Monday's Ten Thoughts Game 4

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. The Fumble.

Just when the Cardinals had recovered from a poor first series thanks to an easy sack on first down and then on defense had thwarted the Bucs' first series...they were righting the ship and starting to drive the ball---and this happens.

What was so egregious about it was that Mendenhall had nearly been nabbed with a fumble on the previous play. One would think that ball security would have been first and foremost on his mind.

Perhaps even more egregious is that Mendenhall fumbled when he ran into Fitzgerald---shades of Mark Sanchez's butt fumble.

This set such a poor tone for the first half---just when order and a modicum of momentum had been restored.

Made the Cardinals look like total chumps.

Then---worst of all---Mendenhall not only goes out of bounds late in the game, he fumbles the ball again? The ball was easily poked out as well. Easily. No protecting and squeezing of the corners at all.

If it's me coaching, Mendenhall does not start versus Carolina. He's got to earn his way back for those careless and hapless mistakes.

2. Bunch Formation Rushes.

Stupid. Just plain stupid. You want to clear the box---not invite more defenders into it.

Moreover, Fitzgerald is going to get injured while blocking inside the box at the LB level, because he is going to get rolled up from behind like Jonathan Cooper did.

Plus, the rushes haven't worked---pretty much for the obvious reasons.

3. Stopping the Run.

Every time Doug Martin has rushed 27 times for the Bucs he's averaged 137 yards.

Holding him to 58 yards in 27 carries yesterday was a major accomplishment, from a defense that has not fared well versus good running teams in recent years.

Not only did the Cardinals swarm and corral Martin play after play, they put a pounding on him. Yeremiah Bell stood Martin up three times on three of the most textbook "fill, pop, wrap and finish" tackles as one will ever see.

I guarantee you that Martin had to crawl out of bed this morning. He was hit from every side and twisted and rolled in in every direction.

The thing is---Martin and the Bucs' o-line are well above average---those boys can play. The Cardinals took the romance out of their running game like few have.

Kudos to every Cardinal defender who strapped on a helmet yesterday---they came to play and they came to finish.

4. Dialing Up Pressure.

Todd Bowles got it done. He threw the kitchen sink at the Bucs---the pressure got stronger and stronger as the game went on---no fatigue factor at all in the heat and humidity.

And we saw something i don't think we've seen in quite some time---a RDE (in newly called up Dontay Moch) who got to the QB for big backside hits via both a speed rush and a bull rush.

5. Dialing Up Selfish Stupidity.

Darnell Dockett---two absurd 15 yard personal foul penalties with the team down 10-0. Interesting that the climate of the game changed for good when he went out. Interesting too to see how effective Calais Campbell was playing on the left side where Dockett normally plays. Versus a right handed QB having Campbell on his right side is a tough obstacle.

6. Momentum Busters.

Boneheaded plays left and right.

The offense finally gets a chunk yard play to midfield by Fitzgerald in the 3rd quarter---and they can't even get the next play off and thereby have to call a timeout.

Then, the next play, that they called timeout for, is a poorly thrown out pass left to Fitzgerald versus Revis that could have easily been a turnover.

The off-sides penalties.

The two dropped passes on key third downs by Ellington and Roberts.

The push-off PI by Housler on a repeat of a play he made a great catch on earlier (interesting how BA calls the same plays twice, even did it onece back to back yesterday). BTW---Housler looks slow---looks like the ankle is still bothering him.

The two interceptions---

One on a deep out pass to Floyd---that is a spot throw just beyond the pylon that Palmer has to throw a second earlier. Credit rookie CB Jonathan Banks for making a stellar play on the ball when he was supposed to cover Ellington---but the throw needed to be quicker and Ellington needed to command more attention over the middle to keep the double team off Floyd.

The other---on one of the most absurd play calls one will ever see---it's first down inside Bucs' territory, and the offense is marching again---they send in Bradley Sowell as an extra TE to give the appearance that they are going to run the ball---and the call is an out pass to the far left sideline that Revis nearly picked off earlier?

If anything the call is a play action over the linebackers and between the safeties.

For the game: 1-10 on third downs.

Worse of all---the frequent general confusion in just getting the personnel lined up---this is Week 4? And this is an offense coached by BA and Tom Moore? Ridiculous at this juncture.

7. Get Mad Carson.

It did you some good. You were furious about the Revis interception---it looked as if you felt Fitzgerald mis-timed the route.

The fact is---you threw a perfect TD dart to Fitzgerald when the team needed it most. On that play Fitzgerald deked Revis like the All-Pro that he is, and you delivered the ball right on the money, right on time.

You handled your duties well down the stretch. Stay mad. Impose your will, like the best QBs do.

8. Brown, Jefferson and Potter.

Juron Brown picked a great time to step up, didn't he?

And how about the play of Tony Jefferson and Nate Potter filling in for Rashad Johnson and Daryn Colledge...huge performances....did you see Potter clearing the DT out for Palmer to throw the TD to Fitzgerald. Huge.

9. Zastudil and Feely and add Mike Leach in there too.

Z has the word "stud" in his name for a good reason...because he was big-time clutch in this game. As was Tampa native Jay Feely and the unsung snapper Mike Leach.

10. Patrick Peterson and Being 2-2 for the 1st Quarter of the Season.

Peterson became the man yesterday. His stock was already high---but now it is going to skyrocket. The best CBs show up when you need them most. And PP21 was like Dominos Pizza yesterday---he delivered.

And when you think about it---as ugly and unproductive as this game was on offense for three quarters---the team managed to finish off the game and found a way to prevail under duress and self-inflicted setbacks---it sits at 2-2 after a quarter of the season that marked 3 away games. The team has played 3 games down to the wire, and has won 2 of them, the second being a much needed road win.

As I said two weeks ago, I thought it would take some time before BA and the staff could teach this team how to win. So, to be 2-2 at this point, is sweet!:newcards:

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Fitz was a fault for the Revis interception. It seemed as if Fitz hesitated and pull up short on the out route. It looked like Palmer expected him to continue toward the sideline and be in front of Revis.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Fitz was a fault for the Revis interception. It seemed as if Fitz hesitated and pull up short on the out route. It looked like Palmer expected him to continue toward the sideline and be in front of Revis.
Wolfley said this on the radio this AM- BA said Fitz let Revis beat him to the ball, Wolf also said BA got into it w/ Fitz on the sideline about it.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mendenhall. He is getting special treatment from BA like a "teachers pet".
BA has let him sit out practices since the beginning of the season. When he screwed up in the beginning with the fumble BA appeared to go over to him and give him an OK pat. I know BA mentioned his error on running out of bounce at the end of the game but action speaks louder than words. Most coaches would have put him on the bench. BA should not have any so called "favorites."

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I'd like to add that I think it was great that BA didn't fart around after PP21's first interception. He went right for the end zone to cash in.

For those of you who put a lot of stock into style points and winning pretty---yesterday's game was like being out with your girl and making an arse out of yourself---and waking up the next day to find she still digs you anyway.

You learn from it---and things can get better than ever from there.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Wolfley said this on the radio this AM- BA said Fitz let Revis beat him to the ball, Wolf also said BA got into it w/ Fitz on the sideline about it.

That's great! It's just what Fitzgerald needs.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
BA has let him sit out practices since the beginning of the season. When he screwed up in the beginning with the fumble BA appeared to go over to him and give him an OK pat. I know BA mentioned his error on running out of bounce at the end of the game but action speaks louder than words. Most coaches would have put him on the bench. BA should not have any so called "favorites."

Good point---BA said he wasn't going to go light with RM anymore in practices.

One thing about BA---when he sees a problem he takes action.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Good point---BA said he wasn't going to go light with RM anymore in practices.

One thing about BA---when he sees a problem he takes action.

His soundbite on RM was brutally honest.

"He's a veteran."

"Running out of bounds was the worst mistake he made all day."

"We've gone easy on him in practice because of his injury."

"He's not game ready."

Wow.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----as usual you have your finger right on the pulse of this team. Your concise and precise delivery is a thing of beauty. I absolutely love reading your responses to the great analysis you manage to disclose week after week. You are amazing! Keep up the great work. We can't get enough of this.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
....did you see Potter clearing the DT out for Palmer to throw the TD to Fitzgerald. Huge.

Hilarious actually, Potter was running him 'wide' like a T playing a G. But it worked, so good for him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Interesting too to see how effective Calais Campbell was playing on the left side where Dockett normally plays. Versus a right handed QB having Campbell on his right side is a tough obstacle.

I thought that this was a very astute observation. Campbell's ability to bat down balls from the right side could be a huge weapon.

Love the thoughts, as usual, Mitch.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dockett has had these type of penalties throughout his career. He is slowing down and needs less plays. However, he still is an integral part of this team and one of its leaders. He is not a quitter.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I thought that this was a very astute observation. Campbell's ability to bat down balls from the right side could be a huge weapon.

Love the thoughts, as usual, Mitch.

I have never understood why they have had the smaller Dockett on the QB's right hand and the mountain tall Campbell on the QB's left, when all the QB's are right handed.

I will have to go back to see the tape, but it wouldn't surprise me if Glennon's pass over the middle to Jackson that PP21 intercepted wasn't led far enough ahead of Jackson because of Campbell's presence in the middle.

I am sure Glennon noticed where Campbell was when he made the shift over to Glennon's right side....and that in itself may have prompted Glennon to alter the pass.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never understood why they have had the smaller Dockett on the QB's right hand and the mountain tall Campbell on the QB's left, when all the QB's are right handed.

I will have to go back to see the tape, but it wouldn't surprise me if Glennon's pass over the middle to Jackson that PP21 intercepted wasn't led far enough ahead of Jackson because of Campbell's presence in the middle.

I am sure Glennon noticed where Campbell was when he made the shift over to Glennon's right side....and that in itself may have prompted Glennon to alter the pass.

Because it is never as easy as just switching from one side to another. You use a completely different foot to plant and use as your base. Same reason it isn't easy to move from RT to LT or vise versa.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was actually glad to see BA go right back to Mendy after the fumble. Now if he fumbles again next game then let's see how BA handles it.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Dockett now.

:thud:

The horse collar call was nit picky IMO.

DD had 3 sacks last week and is giving his all on every play. When a short pass is completed take note who is the first Dlineman down field trying to help. Actually this happens on most plays, DD hustles and gives his all.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice bit of writing, Mitch.

I agreed with just about everything you had to say. To expand a little, this game had a lot of hidden or unsung stuff going on that contributed to the win.

- First, I believe we were held to either 5 or 6 three-&-outs in the first half. (Oy Vey!)

- Compare Zastudil's punts inside the 15 with Koanen's punts into the end zone and we wound up with a sizable net chunk of favorable field position.

- Bethel (who downed one punt inside the 10 - 15 and nailed Dempst at the 10 on a kickoff) was an "invisible" contributor to our field position advantage.

- T Jefferson's play shows up in the stats (He was either 2nd or 3rd on the team in tackles).

- The problem with benching Mendenhall is that Taylor doesn't seem ready, Smitty doesn't have quite the speed around the corner or pop after contact and Ellington may not be big enough to handle the pounding of a feature back. Mendenhall is a grown man and IMHO, should, at most, be given a quick boot in the ass and then cut some slack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
:thud:

The horse collar call was nit picky IMO.

DD had 3 sacks last week and is giving his all on every play. When a short pass is completed take note who is the first Dlineman down field trying to help. Actually this happens on most plays, DD hustles and gives his all.

I think this is fair. After a total no-show at St. Louis, he has been coming on. And Martin planted his hand on DD's facemask which made it difficult for him to tackle him the way he normally would. The first 15 yarder was bush, however.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice bit of writing, Mitch.

I agreed with just about everything you had to say. To expand a little, this game had a lot of hidden or unsung stuff going on that contributed to the win.

- First, I believe we were held to either 5 or 6 three-&-outs in the first half. (Oy Vey!)

- Compare Zastudil's punts inside the 15 with Koanen's punts into the end zone and we wound up with a sizable net chunk of favorable field position.

- Bethel (who downed one punt inside the 10 - 15 and nailed Dempst at the 10 on a kickoff) was an "invisible" contributor to our field position advantage.

- T Jefferson's play shows up in the stats (He was either 2nd or 3rd on the team in tackles).

- The problem with benching Mendenhall is that Taylor doesn't seem ready, Smitty doesn't have quite the speed around the corner or pop after contact and Ellington may not be big enough to handle the pounding of a feature back. Mendenhall is a grown man and IMHO, should, at most, be given a quick boot in the ass and then cut some slack.

Excellent points, Jeff.

I am kind of curious to see a 1-2 rotation of Ellington and Ryan Williams. There's a whole lotta make people miss in those two.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent points, Jeff.

I am kind of curious to see a 1-2 rotation of Ellington and Ryan Williams. There's a whole lotta make people miss in those two.

Now you're talking-----I salivate when I think about that-----(and food).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just gotta nitpick one thing. Martin only ran for 45 yards not 58. Maybe you have #58 Daryl Washington your mind? ;)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Good call on the first interception that was intended for Floyd. I saw it the same way that the ball was just a little late getting there and not that it was a bad read. You could tell that even if that ball wasn't touched by the defender it was still going to be behind Floyd.