More Reasons to hate San Antonio

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
greensborohill said:
Anything else you would like to know?

Since you are offering, what's the optimal method of cooking a turkey? Low heat? High heat? Variable heat? In a brine? In a bag?

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Since you are offering, what's the optimal method of cooking a turkey? Low heat? High heat? Variable heat? In a brine? In a bag?

I hate Trukey. . to dry. . . . ham or duck for me. . . I do tolerate the dark meat of a turkey though. .

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
greensborohill said:
I hate Trukey. . to dry. . . . ham or duck for me. . . I do tolerate the dark meat of a turkey though. .

"Too" dry...and no, it isn't too dry if you employ one of the methods described in the previous post. Plus, if it's too dry, throw some extra gravy on it... :thumbup:

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
"Too" dry...and no, it isn't too dry if you employ one of the methods described in the previous post. Plus, if it's too dry, throw some extra gravy on it... :thumbup:

"To" ASUCHRIS

I think I cooked my turkey "TOO" long. Thanks for that, it's no indicative of my normal online interactions. And I wouldn't know about the turk. I don't cook 'em I just eat 'em. Besides, nothing beats honey glazed ham for my money.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I like having the occasional presence of other team's fans as long as they are respectful , like these guys are. As long as they aren't starting troll threads and smack talking just for its own sake, I think they are an asset.

I don't hate SA, I respect what they have done in a small market. Sure, they got really lucky getting Duncan, but they have built a great team around him that has no discipline or behavior issues. They are professionals and winning and team always come first. Ginobili definitely flops and overacts, but he is still a great player who I love to watch.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Shawty said:
:shrug: I've been here since last season. I'm not a troll. i haven't even insulted any of the Suns players. I haven't started trouble nor started any threads. i've just posted. I appreciate the hate of Manu. All good players are hated by the opposition so it's actually a credit. And when have I debated with you? You're not even ready for that. I stated what I believed and went on about my biz. As for the Spurs playin' borin', we can play your style. We can play half-court. We can run and gun. How quickly you forget. But I've come to expect that from someone who's primarily a fan of his team and not the game.

First, I dont hate manu, I think he is seriously over rated. Kind of like JJ with Amare and Nash around. When the refs stop calling the flops for Manu, he will fade. The flops limit the use of physical defense on him. The spurs success is due to Tim Duncan, who is the best big man in the game, period. He gets injured, they are toast. The SA passing game runs through TD, so an injury would be even more damaging than us losing Amare. They(SA) are older this year(Horry, Bowen, Finley, Van Exel are 35,35,33,33) this is not the running team it used to be. I think that the loss of Devin Brown will hurt both running and defense. We will see after the all star break. The Big guys, excepting Duncan, have not been very productive.

Right now, I like Dallas against SA in a short series because they have no one to guard Dirk on the perimeter(not Bowen, Muhammad, Horry, Emberto or Finley). SA has nobody like Marion that can neutralize Dirk. I also like Josh Howard on Manu(he makes "Manu Toast") defensively. Tony Parkers' speed is not much better than Harris' or Terry. Dallas' weakness will be exposed in the playoffs when their young PG's do not take care of the ball, or Dampier has to be counted on for quality minutes, defensively. I dont think that Emberto or Muhammad create a bad matchup for Dampier, and Parker is not experienced enough to take advantage of the young Mavs PG's..

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Right now, I like Dallas against SA in a short series because they have no one to guard Dirk on the perimeter(not Bowen, Muhammad, Horry, Emberto or Finley).

I disagree. I think that Horry is exactly that type of defender (long arms, quick, experienced) who can slow down Nowitzki.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
First, I dont hate manu, I think he is seriously over rated. Kind of like JJ with Amare and Nash around. When the refs stop calling the flops for Manu, he will fade. The flops limit the use of physical defense on him. The spurs success is due to Tim Duncan, who is the best big man in the game, period. He gets injured, they are toast. The SA passing game runs through TD, so an injury would be even more damaging than us losing Amare. They(SA) are older this year(Horry, Bowen, Finley, Van Exel are 35,35,33,33) this is not the running team it used to be. I think that the loss of Devin Brown will hurt both running and defense. We will see after the all star break. The Big guys, excepting Duncan, have not been very productive.

Right now, I like Dallas against SA in a short series because they have no one to guard Dirk on the perimeter(not Bowen, Muhammad, Horry, Emberto or Finley). SA has nobody like Marion that can neutralize Dirk. I also like Josh Howard on Manu(he makes "Manu Toast") defensively. Tony Parkers' speed is not much better than Harris' or Terry. Dallas' weakness will be exposed in the playoffs when their young PG's do not take care of the ball, or Dampier has to be counted on for quality minutes, defensively. I dont think that Emberto or Muhammad create a bad matchup for Dampier, and Parker is not experienced enough to take advantage of the young Mavs PG's..

Good analysis but it's not that simple. Only thing I agree with is the fact that the Spurs offense is predicated on Duncan. But that's not really hard to figure out. The loss of Devin Brown is NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT. We were without Devin the ENTIRE PLAYOFFS last year. That ended with a ring ceremony.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Originally Posted by nowagimp
Right now, I like Dallas against SA in a short series because they have no one to guard Dirk on the perimeter(not Bowen, Muhammad, Horry, Emberto or Finley).

If Bowen can do a job on Dirk similar to what he did on Marion last season, the Spurs will do just fine.

Seriously though, last season's playoffs put a bright spotlight on Dirk's weakness. And that is smaller defenders who are quick. Dirk doesn't have the post up ability a 7 footer is expected to have. His game is more jump shot and driving the ball oriented.

A smaller defender usually takes both of those away and gives Dirk fits. Both TMac and the Matrix showed this last season and you can only expect more of that when the season is winding down and the playoffs begin.

I don't want to beat a deadhorse, but that double OT game between the Mavs and Suns is the only difference in record between the two.

And if I was a Mavs fan (which I am not), I wouldn't expect the Suns to let a lead slip away upon the next meeting.

For the Spurs fan or anybody else for that matter, spurstalk.com is a good site for Spurs and NBA talk. The set up is similar to this one.

In the meantime, I am a Suns fan and am very excited to see this team when Amare returns at 100%, the development of the players has been a joy to see. Specifically Diaw's burst onto the scene. He's had similar playing time in Atl (about 22 min per), but here the pressure is less and from the sounds of things he enjoys being here compared to being in Atl (aside from the winning of games).

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
LMAO at that article.

First, Popovich's style is awfully similar to Larry Brown's, so I'm not sure why anybody thinks he'll do better in similar circumstances. Second, the only obvious result of Pop's international coaching career is that he's spent his summers glad-handing, networking and scouting, all on the USOC's dime.

There's really no argument for letting Pop anywhere near the U.S. squad. If he was a serious contributor to the last two teams, then he's a complete failure as an Olympic coach, and if didn't contribute, then the U.S. doesn't owe him a thing (quite the reverse, in fact). Plus, who's he going to bring with him if he's selected? Ginobili? :lol: Not Duncan, obviously.

JC has made the obvious choices for the U.S. coaches--Krzyzewski to handle the PR (and to bring in Kobe), D'Antoni to actually run the team with his player-friendly (and FIBA-rules-friendly) system, and Nate McMillan to help instill discipline, class and teamwork in the young players. Popovich is exactly what the U.S. team is trying to get away from.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
LMAO at that article.

First, Popovich's style is awfully similar to Larry Brown's, so I'm not sure why anybody thinks he'll do better in similar circumstances.

True AND false. Popovich style is derived from Larry Brown's style- defensive intensity and priority along with sharin' the basketball. However, his style has evolved over time. Though he still has an insistence on defense, he is nowhere near the rigidity of Larry Brown's philosophy. Larry also has a penchant for bein' very hard on rookies. Popovich allowed a young "boy" to MAN the PG spot in his rookie season at 18 years of age. Larry wouldn't let Darko outta' the basement.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Shawty said:
Good analysis but it's not that simple. Only thing I agree with is the fact that the Spurs offense is predicated on Duncan. But that's not really hard to figure out. The loss of Devin Brown is NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT. We were without Devin the ENTIRE PLAYOFFS last year. That ended with a ring ceremony.

All players that play with TD are having defenders running at them(from doubling TD). Such a defender is much easier to break down, has less ability to adjust to fakes. The youth downgrade includes: 1)Bowen is older(35), this is pretty old for a 2-3 position defender in the NBA. 2)Horry(36?) is also older and is not quick as stated in another response. 3) Devin Brown should have supplied the energy(3rd year breakout?), and would have helped keep more fresh legs on the older guys through the season. 4) van exel instead of a developing Beno at backup point: more savy, older, team player? 5) Finley can shoot but cant defend very well anymore.

Dirk smoked them for 35 pts with Bowen, Horry, Finley all trying, and failing to defend. I am suns fan, not a Mavs or spurs fan, but I do look at matchups between strengths and weaknesses of the teams. The bottom line is that all these guys(spurs) will get open shots(and fatigued defenenders from doubling TD) because of TD. As a suns fan, I cant wait to see Amare with Diaw, Nash, Marion, Barbosa.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
All players that play with TD are having defenders running at them(from doubling TD). Such a defender is much easier to break down, has less ability to adjust to fakes. The youth downgrade includes: 1)Bowen is older(35), this is pretty old for a 2-3 position defender in the NBA. 2)Horry(36?) is also older and is not quick as stated in another response. 3) Devin Brown should have supplied the energy(3rd year breakout?), and would have helped keep more fresh legs on the older guys through the season. 4) van exel instead of a developing Beno at backup point: more savy, older, team player? 5) Finley can shoot but cant defend very well anymore.

Dirk smoked them for 35 pts with Bowen, Horry, Finley all trying, and failing to defend. I am suns fan, not a Mavs or spurs fan, but I do look at matchups between strengths and weaknesses of the teams. The bottom line is that all these guys(spurs) will get open shots(and fatigued defenenders from doubling TD) because of TD. As a suns fan, I cant wait to see Amare with Diaw, Nash, Marion, Barbosa.

Once again, great analysis. But you forgot one thing. The Spurs have ALWAYS had problems with Dirk. They have NEVER had a long, athletic 3 like Marion to put on him. Havin' Devin Brown would in no way change that as he is 6-5. He would guard Dirk in spots himself but the SPurs usually got by on a Bowen-Horry-TD combo. Dirk's always been a thorn in the Spurs side. Also, Pop didn't keep Horry on Dirk for long that game. He actually played a variety of defenders on Dirk. It appears (from memory) that Bowen had the bulk of the assignment. He did pretty good in spots but, for the most part, Dirk won. This is largely due to the fact that he got crazy hot. He's a great shooter. He's also big enough to shoot over the top of most defenders the Spurs put on him. When bigs like Duncan try to defend on the perimeter, he does a "show and go" and takes it to the rack. The Spurs have always beat the Mavs AS A TEAM. AS A TEAM, they weren't playin' well at all that night. That combined with injuries and just excellent hustle on the Mavs broke 'em.

I would actually play Horry on Dirk for the lion's share if I was Pop. I'm pretty confident that Pop will make the proper defensive adjustment.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Shawty said:
Once again, great analysis. But you forgot one thing. The Spurs have ALWAYS had problems with Dirk. They have NEVER had a long, athletic 3 like Marion to put on him. Havin' Devin Brown would in no way change that as he is 6-5. He would guard Dirk in spots himself but the SPurs usually got by on a Bowen-Horry-TD combo. Dirk's always been a thorn in the Spurs side. Also, Pop didn't keep Horry on Dirk for long that game. He actually played a variety of defenders on Dirk. It appears (from memory) that Bowen had the bulk of the assignment. He did pretty good in spots but, for the most part, Dirk won. This is largely due to the fact that he got crazy hot. He's a great shooter. He's also big enough to shoot over the top of most defenders the Spurs put on him. When bigs like Duncan try to defend on the perimeter, he does a "show and go" and takes it to the rack. The Spurs have always beat the Mavs AS A TEAM. AS A TEAM, they weren't playin' well at all that night. That combined with injuries and just excellent hustle on the Mavs broke 'em.
I would actually play Horry on Dirk for the lion's share if I was Pop. I'm pretty confident that Pop will make the proper defensive adjustment.

I agree that the spurs cannot find a defender who has the footspeed and length to bother Dirk. I think Horry is too old to play many defensive minutes on Dirk. I used the age points to suggest that this spurs team is older and will not run as well, generally. Devin Brown was a young development project that could play fast and physical on D. Now the spurs have a bunch of old guys(>32 yrs), TP and Manu(knee?). IUt seems like an over emphasis on vets, especially at the three speed positions(PG,SG,SF). They look relatively soft defensively at the PG, 2-guard, and SF positions. Part of this is Bowen aging, Brown gone, van exel over Beno, Finleys minutes, Horry(when he defends a 1, 2, or 3. Maybe Horry has found the fountain of youth, but I see him as a shooter who is a cagey defender with reduced physical skills.

At some point if you cant defend Dirk, you have to make him work and pay for his deficiency on defense. I dont see that matchup being containable for the spurs. Add to this the big speed deficiency at the 1,2,3 (Parker, Ginobli, Finley, Bowen, Vanexel, Horry(part time)) vs (Howard, Terry, Harris, Stackhouse(when well), Marquis Daniels), and you can expect trouble in the matchup. All that being said, TD may be able to carry the load anyway. He is that good.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I agree that the spurs cannot find a defender who has the footspeed and length to bother Dirk. I think Horry is too old to play many defensive minutes on Dirk. I used the age points to suggest that this spurs team is older and will not run as well, generally. Devin Brown was a young development project that could play fast and physical on D. Now the spurs have a bunch of old guys(>32 yrs), TP and Manu(knee?). IUt seems like an over emphasis on vets, especially at the three speed positions(PG,SG,SF). They look relatively soft defensively at the PG, 2-guard, and SF positions. Part of this is Bowen aging, Brown gone, van exel over Beno, Finleys minutes, Horry(when he defends a 1, 2, or 3. Maybe Horry has found the fountain of youth, but I see him as a shooter who is a cagey defender with reduced physical skills.

At some point if you cant defend Dirk, you have to make him work and pay for his deficiency on defense. I dont see that matchup being containable for the spurs. Add to this the big speed deficiency at the 1,2,3 (Parker, Ginobli, Finley, Bowen, Vanexel, Horry(part time)) vs (Howard, Terry, Harris, Stackhouse(when well), Marquis Daniels), and you can expect trouble in the matchup. All that being said, TD may be able to carry the load anyway. He is that good.

Actually I think Horry has the ability to guard Dirk as well as anyone else on the roster. Overall, the SPurs will defend Dirk by committee and THROUGH TEAM DEFENSE instead of puttin' one guy on him.

As for the runnin' of the Spurs, I believe that as long as they have Manu and TP, they can run with anyone. Those are two of the quickest guys in the league. They are really the same team as last year minus Devin Brown and plus a few more players. As for the Manu injury, he had a contusion in the thigh rather than a knee injury. As for the "look" of softness defensively, TP looks the BEST of his career on both ends of the floor, Beno has never been a defensive stopper and they now have VAn Exel as opposed to Mike Wilks. Yet, Wilks rarely played. Honestly, Bowen looks a shade slower than last season but that's still good enough to cause some of the better scorers to struggle through the entire night (see McGrady, Harrington). Plus, he's shootin' 60+% from downtown.

Actually, the 1,2,3 matchup vs. the Mavs is not that bad. The Mavs have a talented lineup at those positions BUT Terry can't contain Parker and neither can Harris. You forgot to mention that. The Mavs only hope is that they continue to play good TEAM defense. They also will have problems stoppin' Manu's penetration. Howard is an absolute stud but he's not been able to stop Manu in any of the games I've seen. I think Raja Bell stands a better chance. And Stack is NOT a great defender. He is average. He's not incredibly quick either. Yet, he does have size and athleticism. He's done well usin' that to his advantage but he's also a black-hole and will most definitely take shots away from Dirk. I've seen it with my own eyes. And that's considerin' he's healthy.

Finally, the SPurs have a cast of older players but it also means experience, which pays huge dividends in the postseason. These are the same vets (plus Fin and NVE) they had last season as they pulled through a TOUGH Piston squad. I think you're seein' the SPurs still buildin'. Check back in March. If we're still at this point, then I'd worry.

Last edited:

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Nice little gem of an article. It basically says that Jerry Colangelo purposely didn't pick Popovich to be the Olympic coach because his team always beats the Suns.

This article is absurd, with D'Antoni's international experience, why wouldn't Colangelo pick him?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
So much hate....:confused:

More like annoyance. :shrug:

If I want to know what not-too-bright Spurs fans have to say about the Spurs, I'll visit one of their boards. This guy overstayed his welcome on our board about three days ago. :wave:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This guy overstayed his welcome on our board about three days ago.

I think that was a day or two after I put him on Ignore. Just do the same and you'll be fine.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
Ignore. Thanks for makin' my life easier. It's not like you two said anything of substance anyway. This board actually has others with sumthin' knowledgeable to say.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it Shawty, elindholm gets like that - he's just been angry since you shut him out of the conversation a couple of pages back. I'd almost guarantee you aren't on his ignore list (all hail e's ignore list!).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys your posts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05