More Thoughts on QB Ryan Lindley

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Last year, following the draft and the Cardinals' 7th round selection of WR Demarco Sampson, when I was watching tapes of San Diego St. I watched quite a bit of Ryan Lindley and I thought right then he would be a QB the Cardinals would have seen quite a bit of and a QB they would like.

What struck me about Lindley was that he was able to lead SDSU to its first bowl game in quite some time---and he was able to deliver the ball to two 1,000 yard receivers (and NFL draft picks) in that 2010 season, in Vincent Brown and Demarco Sampson.

What I saw was a very live arm---a very good pocket presence---and a good sense of timing.

I was also impressed with the fact that Lindley came close to beating TCU and Utah, two highly ranked teams in 2010. Clearly, SDSU did not have the overall talent that TCU and Utah did---but Lindley and his WRs and RB Ronnie Hillman made things very interesting.

Lindley, in leading SDSU to its first bowl win (since, get this, 1969), in the 2010 Poinsettia Bowl, passed for 18/23/276 yds./2 TD---8/165 of which went to WR Vincent Brown.

This past season---despite losing his top two targets and throwing to WRs who had a combined 4 career catches---AND under a new head coach and new system---Lindley leads SDSU to an 8-4 record and an invitation to the New Orleans Bowl.

Sure the 53% completion percentage is not what you want---but the 3,000 yards and the 23 TDs versus 8 ints certainly are---and the unexpected 8-4 regular season record is especially impressive.

In the New Orleans Bowl versus Louisiana-Lafayette, Lindley brought the team back from a sizable deficit and led the team on what should have been a game winning TD pass with 35 seconds left, only to lose on a 50 yard field goal as the clock expired.

Lindley was 28/49/413 yards/3 TDs, 0 ints.

If you go watch the tape on YouTube: (Lindley in New Orleans Bowl)---and you watch his performance a year previously (Lindley versus Navy), I think you will be more enthused with Lindley as a prospect.

He finished his career at SDSU at 961/1,732/55.2%/12,690/90-47 TD/INT.

He helped turn SDSU from a perennial loser into a winner in a conference that has gotten much stronger---and without one of the stellar defenses that rivals TCU and then Utah had.

I give him a lot of credit---and I think that in two years he might be a good #2 or possible candidate to start. He knows he has to improve his footwork and in doing so improve his completion percentage---so the work is in front of him---but I think that to acquire a QB with his talent in the 6th round is impressive.

The QB whom I was most curious about was Kellen Moore of Boise St., the most accurate QB in the draft. Yet, Moore lacks the size and the arm strength that pro personnel directors require---but---oh that uncanny timing and accuracy, and oh his 50-3 record at Boise St.

Well, I don't know if you saw this or not, but on the third day of the draft Trent Dilfer was explaining during the late rounds why Kellen Moore would not likely get draft (which turned out to be the case). What Dilfer argued was that Moore's combination of a lack of size, mobility, arm strength and quick release would not enable him to convert the type of game changing plays under pressure that NFL QBs must make.

Dilfer argued that when QBs have the mobility that's half the battle---but even better that when QBs can pull the trigger and throw the ball with zip they can convert the busted plays into TDs.

These are the qualities in Lindley's skill set that give him a good chance. He has decent mobility...he has an excellent quick release and he has an all-out gun (I think the strongest arm in this year's draft)---

Thus---even though I loved Moore's intangibles and his tremendous accuracy, I think that Lindley was the right choice.

BTW---this year while watching SDSU---keep an eye on soph TE Gavin Escobar---I am sure the Cardinals have him in their thoughts for next year's draft.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Too bad Lindley can't hit the broad side of a barn with his rocket arm.

If you can't even complete 60% of your passes in today's college game especially in a conference with Wyoming, UNLV, Air Force, New Mexico, and Colorado State how are you going to do it in the NFL?

Well I guess if one Double Duece is good two must be even better.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Too bad Lindley can't hit the broad side of a barn with his rocket arm.

If you can't even complete 60% of your passes in today's college game especially in a conference with Wyoming, UNLV, Air Force, New Mexico, and Colorado State how are you going to do it in the NFL?

Well I guess if one Double Duece is good two must be even better.

but the barns in that conference are not as big and built funny lol

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Never know on Lindley.. once upon a time, at that "way too early to do a mock draft" stage, there were some people who thought Lindley was a top half of the first round kind of prospect. Here's an article from FOX Sports from a year ago that accurately predicted that Lindley would be a Cardinal -- except they had us taking him about 150 picks sooner than we actually did at #6 overall:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peter-Schrager-NFL-2012-first-round-mock-draft-050311

I swear Walt had Lindley as a first rounder in his mocks once upon a time too. Not that it means anything (heck, Burfict was a sure fire first round prospect a year ago too), and Lindley was drafted where he deserved to be drafted, but there were some people out there very, very high on the kid before this season and people like Peter King/Jaworski are still very high on the guy.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Never know on Lindley.. once upon a time, at that "way too early to do a mock draft" stage, there were some people who thought Lindley was a top half of the first round kind of prospect. Here's an article from FOX Sports from a year ago that accurately predicted that Lindley would be a Cardinal -- except they had us taking him about 150 picks sooner than we actually did at #6 overall:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Peter-Schrager-NFL-2012-first-round-mock-draft-050311

I swear Walt had Lindley as a first rounder in his mocks once upon a time too. Not that it means anything (heck, Burfict was a sure fire first round prospect a year ago too), and Lindley was drafted where he deserved to be drafted, but there were some people out there very, very high on the kid before this season and people like Peter King/Jaworski are still very high on the guy.
lol, 3 of our picks were 1st rounders in that mock. I sure hope they play like it

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Who is Double Duece anyway? I am not familiar with this nickname but I've seen it a lot on these forums lol.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Who is Double Duece anyway? I am not familiar with this nickname but I've seen it a lot on these forums lol.

Double Deuce = John Skelton. Either Duckjake or RugbyMuffin (forgot who) came up with it after Skelton was sacked for a safety in back to back possessions earlier this year. That's the very short version.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Double Deuce = John Skelton. Either Duckjake or RugbyMuffin (forgot who) came up with it after Skelton was sacked for a safety in back to back possessions earlier this year. That's the very short version.

Skelton proved the doubters wrong and showed the world it could be done.

Pretty sure it was Rugby.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
At this point, Lindley = Derek (SCUD) Anderson... I'll buy into this guy ONLY when he proves it on the field when live bullets are flying... Until then, he's SCUD II to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, Lindley = Derek (SCUD) Anderson... I'll buy into this guy ONLY when he proves it on the field when live bullets are flying... Until then, he's SCUD II to me.

We havnt even seen him play a game and his college stats are MUCH better than Anderson's.

I dont get why people are so angry about this pick. Its a 6th rounder on a boom or bust QB.

I wouldnt mind if they took a late round QB every other year in the hopes they accidentally strike gold.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We havnt even seen him play a game and his college stats are MUCH better than Anderson's.

I dont get why people are so angry about this pick. Its a 6th rounder on a boom or bust QB.

I wouldnt mind if they took a late round QB every other year in the hopes they accidentally strike gold.

exactly

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was also impressed with the fact that Lindley came close to beating TCU and Utah, two highly ranked teams in 2010.

Lindley was also a huge reason why they lost those games. Throwing 5 INT's between the two games, throwing 42%, only completing 11 total passes against TCU.

Lindley, in leading SDSU to its first bowl win (since, get this, 1969), in the 2010 Poinsettia Bowl, passed for 18/23/276 yds./2 TD---8/165 of which went to WR Vincent Brown.

They played Navy who was allowing 70% completion percentage that year.

What may be the best young gun runner in all of college ball, in a long time, right now in Ronnie Hillman is the biggest reason for San Diego State staying relevant the last two years, not Lindley IMO.

Look, I understand the intrigue with this guy, a lot of pundits who every year try to latch on to a lower level prospect so they sound like geniuses when the hit on it, but at the same time no one remembers if they didn't hit on it, pick a guy every single year and most picked this guy. Everyone who is a fan of a team that doesn't have a super star QB on it naturally tries to pick up the #3 QB off the ground.

At this point though I think some are try to shine a piece of poop a little to hard. Of which you can do, I saw it on mythbusters so there is hope. And he did work with what may be the best set of QB guru's in the NFL over the offseason, so there is a glimmer. I just wouldn't bet on the odds.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Where did I say I was angry with the pick?? :nono:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. It's a sixth-rounder and pretty much those picks are just gambles.

I don't know anything about him, but watching his youtube highlights he looks 50% brilliant and 50% a disaster.

But if you are a new QB coming on a roster where you have to beat out Bartel for #3, can't say that this is a bad situation for him.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I swear Walt had Lindley as a first rounder in his mocks once upon a time too. Not that it means anything (heck, Burfict was a sure fire first round prospect a year ago too), and Lindley was drafted where he deserved to be drafted, but there were some people out there very, very high on the kid before this season and people like Peter King/Jaworski are still very hHigh on the guy.

Man that sucks that Fitz left like that:)

Michael Floyd at # 9 and Lindley at #6 and Potter in the teens. We did good in 2012

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Man that sucks that Fitz left like that:)

Michael Floyd at # 9 and Lindley at #6 and Potter in the teens. We did good in 2012

Browns fans are happy too. They got Billy Winn in the 6th round. And Ray Ray Anderson will be playing in Miami this fall. But not with the Dolphins. And the lions got a steal in Travis Lewis with the 223rd pick.

I wonder if this guy Schrager jinxes players like I do? :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05