DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mac Dre got killed

:( Mac Dre the famous Bay Rapper got killed in Kansas City

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa...10070292.htm?1c

Man dies after shots are fired into car on U.S. 71

By CHRISTINE VENDEL The Kansas City Star

A man died this morning after someone shot at the car he was riding in and the car crashed off U.S. 71.

The wreck occurred about 5:30 a.m. on the highway between 75th and 87th streets. The victim's name was not released, pending notification of relatives. It was unclear whether the victim died of injuries from the shooting or the wreck.

Police said the victim was believed to be a passenger in a northbound car when a second car pulled alongside and an occupant began shooting. The victim's car careened across a grassy highway median and then the southbound lanes before crashing down a steep embankment.

The driver apparently crawled out of the car and summoned help, police said. The victim was ejected.

Officers who investigate traffic fatalities responded to the crash, but they determined the death was not the result of an accident. They turned the case over to homicide investigators.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read about that awhile ago. Although it was only a rumor at that time. Not confirmed to be Mac Dre.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gee! said:
Read about that awhile ago. Although it was only a rumor at that time. Not confirmed to be Mac Dre.

No this is not a rumor. He died 2 days ago. It's 100% true check out www.siccness.net, Go to the bart forum not a rumor. They talk to his family Mac Mall and a bunch of people about it. Thats Mac Dre' s board. He's dead.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heres a update

http://www.rapnewsdirect.com/News/2.../02/Mac.Dre.Up/

Police released a picture of a car that may have been used in the murder of California rap artist Andre Hicks, also known as Mac Dre.

The vehicle is a 2003 Infiniti G36. The car was found in the 5600 block of East 29th Street. The car had no license plates on it.

Investigators said that the car had evidence inside linking it to the shooting, but they declined to specify what that evidence was.

Mac Dre ( Hicks ) was a passenger in a van that was headed north on Highway 71 near 85th Street when someone in a car pulled up alongside the vehicle and opened fire. The driver of the van crossed over into the southbound lanes of the highway before crashing into a ravine.

Police said Hicks died from a bullet wound.

Hicks had performed at a concert in Kansas City, Kan., on Friday night and stayed in the area during the weekend.

Police ask anyone with information on who may have been driving the Infiniti to call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
That sucks. He is one of my favorites....Stupiddoodoodumb forever!! RIP Dre

Just went to his concert a few months back, glad I went.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roald Dahl (1916-1990)

Since the movie thread about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory took off so well, I thought I'd post a bit about it's author.

Roald Dahl

British writer, famous for his ingenious short stories and macabre children's books. Dahl's taste for cruelty, rudeness to adults, and the comic grotesque fascinated young readers, but upset many adult critics. Several of Dahl's stories have been made into films, including Matilda, dir. by Danny DeVito (1996).

'Aunt Glosspan,' the boy said, ' what do ordinary people eat that we don't?'
'Animals,' she answered, tossing her head in disgust.
'You mean live animals?'
'No,' she said. 'Dead ones.'
(from 'Pig' in Kiss, Kiss, 1959)

Roald Dahl was born in Llandaff, Wales, of Norwegian parents. His father, Harald Dahl, was the joint owner of a successful ship-broking business, "Aadnesen& Dahl" with another Norwegian. Before emigrating to Wales, Harald had been a farmer near Oslo. He married a young French girl named Marie in Paris; she died after giving birth to their second child. In 1911 he married Sofie Magdalene Hesselberg. Harald died when Dahl was four years old, and three weeks later his elder sister, Astri, died from appendicitis. The family had to sell their jewellery to pay for Dahl's upkeep at Repton, a private school in Derbyshire. His years at public schools in Wales and England Dahl later described without nostalgia: "I was appalled by the fact that masters and senior boys were allowed literally to wound other boys, and sometimes quite severely. I couldn't get over it. I never got over it..." (from Boy: Tales of Childhood, 1984) Dahl especially hated the matron who ruled the school dormitories. These experiences later inspired him to write stories in which children fight against cruel adults and authorities. "I have never met anybody who so persistently writes words meaning the exact opposite of what is intended," one of Dahl's English teachers commented.

"Parents and schoolteachers are the enemy," Dahl once said. "The adult is the enemy of the child because of the awful process of civilizing this thing that when it is born is an animal with no manners, no moral sense at all." In WITCHES (1973) behind the mask of a beautiful woman is an ugly witch, and in MATILDA (1988) Miss Turnbull throws children out of windows. Both parents are eaten in JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH (1961), but the real enemies of the hero of the story, a little boy, are two aunts.

At eighteen, instead of entering university, Dahl joined an expedition to Newfoundland. Returning to England he took a job with Shell, working in London (1933-37) and in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (1937-39). During World War II he served in the Royal Air Forces in Libya, Greece, and Syria. He was shot down in Libya, wounded in Syria, and then posted to Washington as an assistant air attaché to British Security (1942-43). In 1943 he was a wing commander and worked until 1945 for British Security Co-ordination in North America.

In the crash Dahl had fractured his skull, and said later: "You do get bits of magic from enormous bumps on the head." While he was recovering from his wounds, Dahl had strange dreams, which inspired his first short stories. Encouraged by C.S. Forester, Dahl wrote about his most exiting RAF adventures. The story, A Piece of Cake, was published by the Saturday Evening Post. It earned him $1,000. The same story was later included in OVER TO YOU: THE STORIES OF FLYERS AND FLYING (1946). Dahl's first children's book, THE GREMLINS (1943), about mischievous little creatures, was written for Walt Disney and became later a popular movie. His collection of short stories, SOMEONE LIKE YOU (1954), gained world success, as did its sequel, KISS KISS (1959). The two books were serialized for television in America. A number of the stories had appeared in the New Yorker. Dahl's stories were seen in Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955-61) and in the Tales of the Unexpected (1979) series.

In 1953 Dahl married the successful and wealthy actress Patricia Neal; they had one son and four daughters - the eldest daughter Olivia died of measles when she was eight. Dahl's wife suffered a series of brain hemorrhages at the age of 38; while pregnant with their fifth child she had a stroke. She described her recovery and her husband's solicitous help in the autobiography As I Am (1988). The marriage ended in 1983 after other family tragedies, and Dahl married Felicity Ann Crossland.

The only stageplay Dahl ever wrote, THE HONEYS, failed in New York in 1955. After showing little inclination towards children's literature, Dahl published JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH (1961). It was first published in the United States, but it took six years before Dahl found a published in Britain. James and the Giant Peach was followed by the highly popular tale CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (1964), filmed in 1971. The story dealt with one small boy's search for the ultimate prize in fierce competition with other, highly unpleasant children, many of whom come to sticky ends as a result of their greediness. It presented the central theme in Dahl's fiction for young readers: virtue is rewarded, vice is punished. In the end the fabulous chocolate factory is given to Charlie, the kind, impoverished boy. THE WITCHES (1983) won the Whitbread Children's Book Award in 1983. The judges described the book as "deliciously disgusting". Later Felicity Dahl collected her husband's culinary "delights", such as "Bird Pie", "Hot Frogs", and "Lickable Wallpaper" in Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes (1994).

MY UNCLE OSWALD (1979) was Dahl's first full-length novel, a bizarre story of a scheme for procuring and selling the sperm of the world's most powerful and brilliant men. Dahl received three Edgar Allan Poe Awards (1954, 1959, 1980). In 1982 he won his first literary prize with THE BFG, a story about Big Friendly Giant, who kidnaps and takes a little girl to Giantland, where giants eat children. In 1983 he received World Fantasy Convention Lifetime Achievement award. Dahl died of an infection on November 23, 1990, in Oxford. Dahl's autobiographical books, BOY: TALES OF CHILDHOOD and GOING SOLO, appeared in 1984 and 1986 respectively. The success of his books resulted in the foundation of the Roald Dahl Children's Gallery in Aylesbury, not far from where he lived.

"Good ghost stories, like good children's books, are damnably difficult to write. I am a short story writer myself, and although I have been doing it for forty-five years and have always longed to write just one decent ghost story, I have never succeeded in bringing it off. Heaven knows, I have tried. Once I thought I had done it. It was with a story that is now called 'The Landlady'. But when it was finished and I examined it carefully, I knew it wasn't good enough. I hadn't brought it off. I simply hadn't got the secret. So finally I altered the ending and made it into a non-ghost story." (from Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories, 1983)

Dahl's stories have unexpected endings and strange, menacing atmospheres. The principle of "fair play" works in unconventional but unavoidable ways. Uncle Oswald, a seducer from 'The Visitor', gets seduced. In 'Parson's Pleasure' an antique dealer tastes his own medicine and the Twits from THE TWITS (1980) use glue to catch birds and meet their own gluey ends. In 'Lamb to the Slaughter' the evidence of a murder, a frozen leg of lamb, is eaten by officers who in vain search for the murder weapon. The story was inspired by a meeting with the writer Ian Fleming at a dinner party. Puns, word coinages, and neologism are more often used in the children's stories, whereas in adult fiction the emphasis is on imaginative plots. In addition to his children's books, Dahl also aroused much controversy with his politically incorrect opinions - he was accused of anti-Semitism and antifeminism and when a prowler managed to get into Queen Elizabeth's bedroom, Dahl was wrongly suspected of giving to the unwanted guest the idea in one of his books, The BFG (1982).

For further reading: Roald Dahl by Chris Dowling (1983); Roald Dahl by Alan Warren (1988); Roald Dahl: A Biography by Jeremy Treglown (1994); St James Guide to Young Adult Writers, ed. by Tom Pendergast and Sara Pendergast (1999); Beatrix Potter to Harry Potter: Portraits of children's writers by Julia Eccleshare (2002)

Selected works:

THE GREMLINS, 1943 - originally written for Walt Disney. The Gremlins movies uses the name but are unrelated: first 1984, dir. by Joe Dante; the second 1990, Grewmlins 2. dir. by Joe Dante. - One episode of The Twilight Zone Movie (1983), scripted by Richard Matheson was based on the idea
OVER TO YOU, 1945
SOMETIME NEVER, 1948
SOMEONE LIKE YOU, 1953, rev. 1961 - Joku kaltaisesi
THE HONEYS, 1955 (play, prod. in New York)
KISS, KISS, 1959
JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, 1961 - animation film 1996
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, 1964 - film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in 1971 - Jali ja suklaatehdas
THE MAGIC FINGER, 1966
YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, 1967 (screenplay based on Ian Fleming's novel, with Harry Jack Bloom)
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, 1968 (screenplay based on Ian Fleming's children's book, with Ken Hughes)
TWENTY-NINE KISSES FROM ROALD DAHL, 1969
FANTASTIC MR. FOX, 1970
FANTASTIC MR. FOX, 1970 - Kekseliäs kettu
SELECTED STORIES, 1970
THE NIGHT-DIGGER, 1970 (screenplay)
THE LIGHTNING BUG, 1971 (screenlay)
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, 1971 (screenplay)
CHARLIE AND THE GREAT GLASS ELEVATOR, 1972
PENGUIN MODERN STORIES 12, 1972 (with others)
THE WITCHES, 1973 - film The Witches, 1989
SWITCH BITCH, 1975 - Alahuuli
DANNY, THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, 1975 - film 1989
THE WONDERFUL STORY OF HENRY THE SUGAR AND SIX MORE, 1977
CHARLIE AND THE GREAT GLASS ELEVATOR, 1978
THE COMPLETE ADVENTURES OF CHARLIE AND MR WILLY WONKA, 1978
THE ENORMOUS CROCODILE, 1978 - Suunnattoman suuri krokotiili
THE BEST OF ROALD DAHL, 1978
TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, 1979
TASTE AND OTHER TALES, 1979
MY ONCLE OSWALD, 1979 - Oswald-eno
THE TWITS, 1980
GEORGE'S MARVELOUS MEDICINE, 1980
MORE TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, 1980 - television movie, 1979
THE WAY UP TO HEAVEN AND OTHER STORIES, 1980
A ROALD DAHL SELECTION, 1980
THE BFG, 1982 - Iso kiltti jätti
ROALD DAHL'S REVOLTING RHYMES, 1982
MATILDA, 1982 - suom.
ROALD DAHL'S BOOK OF GHOST STORIES, 1983
TWO FABLES, 1983
DIRTY BEASTS, 1983
RHYME STEW, 1983
THE WITCHES, 1983
BOY: TALES OF CHILDHOOD, 1984
THE GIRAFFE AND THE PELLY AND ME, 1985
TWO FABLES, 1986
GOING SOLO, 1986
THE SECOND ROALD DAHL SELECTION, 1987
MATILDA, 1988 - film Road Dahl's Matilda, 1996, dir. by Danny deVito
RHYME STEW, 1989
AH, SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE, 1989
ROALD DAHL: CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, CHARLIE AND THE GREAT GLASS ELEVATOR, THE BFG, 1989
ESIO TROT, 1990
THE MINIPINS, 1991
THE VICAR OF NIBBLESWICK, 1991
MEMORIES WITH FOOD AT GIPSY HOUSE, 1991 (with F. Dahl)
THE COLLECTED SHORT STORIES, 1991
THE DAHL DIARY, 1992, 1991
THE DAHL COLLECTION OF NURSERY VERSE, 1992 (ed.)
MY YEAR, 1993

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was one of my favorite authors growing up...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Police Say Rap War Could Be Brewing In The Mid-West
By Nolan Strong
Date: 11/10/2004 11:30 am

Over a thousand fans, friends and family members of Andre “Mac Dre” Hicks gathered to bid the rapper farewell yesterday (November 9th) in California.

The rapper’s music blared from vehicles of the Fairfield church the parking lot, while viewers looked at Mac Dre’s body, which was covered with a plastic shield to prevent people from touching the body.

Meanwhile, police continue to investigate Mac Dre’s shooting, which happened early in the morning of November 1st in Kansas City, Missouri.

Police have met a stone wall of silence from associates of Mac Dre and fear that a rap war or some sort of retaliation is being planned.

Kansas City Police Department detectives said they were monitoring Hip-Hop websites, seeking clues. Detectives said the websites revealed that “California was planning to retaliate.”

One lead they are pursuing is that a rapper named Fat Tone was involved in the murder of Hicks, but said they had nothing to substantiate the lead.

Sources told AllHipHop.com that police believe Fat Tone may have thought Mac Dre was involved in an altercation earlier this month.

In that incident, Fat Tone allegedly was leaving a Kansas City nightclub and was shot at. He was not injured.

In March, Ramone C. Davis, 31, of San Diego was shot to death in Kansas City as well. Police said a man tried to rob Davis of 10 pounds of marijuana. A 27-year-old Kansas City man was charged in that case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Harry Lampert (creator of The Flash)

Creator of DC Comics Superhero 'The Flash,' Dies

BOCA RATON, FL (AP) -- The illustrator who created the D-C Comics superhero "The Flash" has died.

Harry Lampert began drawing professionally at 16, inking cartoons in New York for characters such as Popeye and Betty Boop.

Six years later he created the D-C Comics original "Flash Comics number one" in 1940.

His family says he had no idea how popular it would become.

Lampert received a steady stream of fan mail and requests for his early 'Flash' drawings. His daughter says he was redrawing "The Flash" and selling it to people almost until his death.

The family says his favorite illustrations were gag cartoons, which appeared in publications including Time, Esquire and The New York Times.

They say Lampert suffered from brain cancer.
He was 88 years old.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Hank Garland

Legendary Guitarist Hank Garland Dies

By RON WORD, Associated Press Writer

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -
Legendary country, rock and jazz guitarist Hank Garland, who performed with Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, Charlie Parker and many others, has died at the age of 74.

Garland died of a staph infection Monday at Orange Park Medical Center, said his brother, Billy Garland.

In the 1950s and '60s, Walter "Hank" Garland was the talk of Nashville, known for musical riffs that could take a recording from humdrum to dazzling, as he did on Elvis hits like "Little Sister" and "Big Hunk of Love."

He had his first million-selling hit at 19 with "Sugar Foot Rag," a famous country tune.

"He is heralded as a quintessential Nashville studio guitarist," musician Wolf Marshall said in an e-mail interview earlier this year.

In addition to performing with Elvis and other stars in Nashville, Garland was at the forefront of the rock 'n' roll movement, enjoyed a prestigious career as a country virtuoso, pioneered the electric guitar at the Grand Ole Opry and inspired jazz instrumentalists such as George Benson. He jammed in New York City with George Shearing and jazz great Charlie Parker.

His detailed session logbook reads like a "Who's Who" of the stars of country music, including Brenda Lee, Mel Tillis, Marty Robbins, Boots Randolph, Conway Twitty, Hank Williams Sr.

Garland worked with Elvis from 1957 to 1961, and was playing on the soundtrack for his movie "Follow That Dream" in 1961 when a car crash put him in a coma for months.

The crash injuries and a series of 100 shock treatments administered at a Nashville hospital left him a shadow of his former self. He had to relearn everything from walking and talking to playing the guitar.

Billy Garland claims the crash was no accident, that it was an attempted killing by someone in the Nashville record scene.

Garland spent the final years of his life fighting ill health, trying to pry royalties out of record companies and talking with Hollywood about a movie based on his life.

Garland started playing guitar at age 6 and appeared on radio shows at age 12. He was discovered at the age of 14 at a South Carolina music store where he had gone to buy a guitar string.

He soon would set Nashville on fire.

"He was born with talent," said Billy Garland. "A God-given talent."

Hank Garland

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but is there any relation to Judy Garland?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Will Eisner (1917-2005)

Comic legend Will Eisner died Monday evening, due to complications from heart surgery performed on December 22nd. Eisner had undergone quadruple bypass surgery, and was last reported to be recovering well.

Eisner was 87 years old, and was still actively working. His latest graphic novel, The Plot is due to be released later this year by W.W. Norton.

----------------------------------------

Bob Andleman, author of the upcoming Eisner biography, Will Eisner: A Spirited Life has written the following obituary via the Will Eisner: A SPirited Life eNewsletter:

Legendary comics and graphic novel artist and writer Will Eisner died last night, Monday, January 3, 2005, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, at the age of 87, following complications from quadruple heart bypass surgery.

Will Eisner didn't create Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or even Archie and Jughead. Some comic book fans may scratch their heads when asked to describe his work. But every artist and writer in comic books, as well as graphic artists across the entire spectrum of modern illustration, television and film, owes a debt to him.

In 1941, Eisner created a goofball detective named Denny Colt who died (not really) and was reborn as "The Spirit," the cemetery-dwelling protector of the public - and pretty girls in particular. The Spirit possessed no superpowers. He couldn't see through his girlfriend's clothing the way a curious alien like the Man of Steel might scientifically investigate Lois Lane. And he wasn't a brilliant technologist like Batman, imagineering hokey gadgets and psychedelic compounds for all-night parties with the Joker.

The Spirit broke so many molds:

- Eisner was the strip's artist and writer, a feat that is still rare today.

- The Spirit was published and distributed as an insert in Sunday newspapers, ala Parade magazine. It was seen weekly by as many as 5-million people from 1941 to 1952.

- No two Spirit sections looked alike. Although most commercial operations - from Superman to Pepsi-Cola - spend millions of dollars testing, proving and marketing their logos, Eisner thought it was more challenging to change The Spirit's masthead every week - for 12 years.

- The Spirit was a fun, mature read, aimed at adults but accessible to kids.

For all of these reasons, The Spirit was published and reissued in various forms almost uninterrupted for 60 years. Its look, feel and smartass humor is timeless, which accounts for the countless revivals.

Eisner, who went to high school with "Batman" creator Bob Kane, provided first jobs in the comics business to everyone from Jack Kirby (co-creator of "Captain America" and the "Fantastic Four") to Pulitzer-winning writer and artist Jules Feiffer.

If not for Eisner's influence, Pulitzer Prize winner Art Spiegelman might never have published his graphic novel Maus: A Survivor's Tale (Eisner is credited with popularizing - if not inventing - the medium of the graphic novel with the 1978 publication of his graphic story collection, A Contract With God) and fellow Pulitzer Prize-winner Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay would have been missing quite a few Eisner-inspired tales.

For comic book professionals, the highest honor in the industry is either an Eisner Award, named for Eisner and given out every summer at Comic-Con International in San Diego, or a Harvey Award, named for Eisner's late friend Harvey Kurtzman, the creator of Mad magazine and Playboy's "Little Annie Fanny," given every April in Pittsburgh. Kurtzman, who discovered talents as diverse as R. Crumb and Gloria Steinem, passed away in 1993, making Eisner the last man standing.

Literally.

At every Eisner Awards ceremony, each recipient was handed his or her award by the man himself.

Several years ago, a big red velvet chair was put on stage for Eisner. The Eisner Awards promoters said, "Come on, Will, you shouldn't have to stand up all this time; here, have a seat." Eisner sat on it briefly, got a laugh out of it, but then he stood up again, and stayed on his feet the rest of the night. Eisner demonstrated his strength of character and enduring physical wherewithal by standing on stage throughout the entire presentation, shaking hands and personally congratulating the winners. Because there is a different presenter for each award, no one else stood for as long as Eisner.

That's why, when Eisner handed the 2002 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story (Amazing Spider-Man #30-35: "Coming Home") to writer J. Michael Straczynski and artists John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna, Straczynski thrust the award in the air and remarked, "You know, you get the Emmy, you don't get it from ' Emmy.' You win the Oscar, you don't get it from 'Oscar. 'How freakin' cool is this?"

Published in November 2004, DC Comics' The Will Eisner Companion is the first comprehensive, critical overview of the work of this legendary writer/artist. Divided into two sections - his Spirit work and his graphic novels - this authorized companion features all-new critical and historical essays by noted comics historians N.C. Christopher Couch and Stephen Weiner, as well as alphabetical indexes relating to all aspects and characters in his oeuvre. Also includes a chronology, a bibliography and suggested reading lists, as well as an introduction by Dennis O'Neil.

A new generation of comics fans learned about the man in the 1970s when underground comix publisher Denis Kitchen began reprinting "The Spirit" stories and eventually produced new stories of the character by top comic book talent including Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons and Neil Gaiman. Kitchen became one of Eisner's closest friends and confidants, as well as his personal representative and literary agent (with Judith Hansen).

More recently, "John Law," a 56-year- old Will Eisner character, was given fresh life and adventures in 2002 by Australian artist and writer Gary Chaloner as an online comic book hero at ModernTales.com. In December 2004, Law returned to print in IDW Publishing's "Will Eisner's John Law" hardcover trade paperback. These stories were the first original John Law adventures published since Eisner worked on the character in 1948. This edition includes both new material and classic John Law tales by Eisner himself.

And Eisner's final - and likely most controversial - graphic novel, The Plot, finished last summer, will be published this spring by W.W. Norton.

Will Eisner was the wizard behind the curtain, except in his case, the magic was real.

There will be no funeral service, per Will's wishes. "Will and I hated funerals," his wife, Ann, said the morning after his death." We made plans long ago to avoid having them ourselves." He will be buried next to his late daughter, Alice, who died in 1969. Surviving Will are his wife, Ann, and his son, John.

Cards may be sent to:

Will Eisner Studios
8333 W. McNab Road
Tamarac, FL 33321

Unofficially, in lieu of flowers, you might consider a donation in Will's name to the American Cancer Society - his daughter died of cancer - or the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which Will was known to have supported.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Frank Kelly Freas (1922-2005)

Frank Kelly Freas
Source: Blog of Death

Frank Kelly Freas, an award-winning illustrator, died on Jan. 2. Cause of death was not released. He was 82.

Freas was born in New York, but raised in Canada. He conducted photo reconnaissance for the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II and drew pinup girls on the noses of bombers. After the war, he worked at an advertising agency and attended the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

In 1950, a friend encouraged Freas to submit a class assignment to Weird Tales magazine. When the editor, Dorothy McIlwraith, used the illustration of Pan dancing in the moonlight for her November cover, his career as a science fiction/fantasy artist took off.

Each assignment involved a process of studying, dreaming, drawing and painting. Freas would read each story assignment three times -- once as a reader, once with a sketchpad and once to add specific details. A die-hard science fiction fan as well, he knew the genre well enough to incorporate background concepts and imaginative speculation within his illustrations.

For nearly half a century, Freas painted covers for Astounding Science Fiction Magazine and Analog Science Fiction and Fact. He illustrated stories by legends in the field, including Poul Anderson, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Ursula K. LeGuin, Frederik Pohl and A.E. Van Vogt. The prolific artist painted 58 covers for Laser Books and 90 for Ace, and drew MAD Magazine covers from 1958 to 1962.

He wrote and illustrated the books "The Astounding Fifties: A Selection From Astounding Science Fiction Magazine," "Frank Kelly Freas: The Art of Science Fiction," "Frank Kelly Freas: A Separate Star" and "Frank Kelly Freas: As He Sees It."

Outside of the genre, Freas drew over 500 portraits for the "Franciscan Book of Saints," and illustrated the cover of the Queen album, "News of the World." An official NASA mission artist, Freas also designed the crew patch for the Skylab I astronauts. His inspiring space exploration posters hang in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington.

Freas received numerous honors, including 10 Hugo Awards, three Chesley Awards, five Locus Poll Awards, a Skylark Award and a Retro Hugo. In 2000, Freas was elected a fellow of the International Association of Astronomical Artists. He is survived by his wife Laura Brodian Freas, an artist and the host of a Los Angeles classical music program, two children and six grandchildren.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Danny Sugerman (1954-2005)

Danny Sugerman

Danny Sugerman was 12 years old when he attended his first Doors concert and became the group's biggest fan.

A year later, the teenager was hired by The Doors' charismatic lead singer Jim Morrison to answer fan mail and put together a scrapbook about the rock band. Once accepted into the inner circle, Sugerman joined his idols in experiencing the rock 'n' roll lifestyle of the 1960s.

When Morrison died in 1971, Sugerman served as the manager for Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger, keyboardist Ray Manzarek and drummer John Densmore. He co-wrote the band's biography, "No One Here Gets Out Alive," with music journalist Jerry Hopkins, and worked as a technical advisor on the 1991 Oliver Stone film, "The Doors," starring Val Kilmer.

The Los Angeles native later recounted his struggles with heroin addiction in the 1991 autobiography "Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess." He also wrote two Doors-related compilations and a book about the heavy metal band Guns N' Roses.

Known for recording the songs "Light My Fire" and "Riders on the Storm," The Doors regrouped in 2002. Featuring Manzarek, Krieger and former The Cult singer Ian Astbury, the band is now called The Doors of the 21st Century.

Sugerman died on Jan. 5 of lung cancer at the age of 50. He is survived by his wife, Fawn Hall Sugerman, who testified against her former boss Oliver North during the Iran-Contra scandal.

------------------------------------

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" - good book, I let my aunt borrow it and haven't seen it since. :D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sixties/Seventies Band Traffic's Drummer Jim Capaldi Dead At 60

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6872081/stevewinwood?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

Traffic's Capaldi Dies

Drummer and Hall of Famer loses battle with cancer

Drummer Jim Capaldi, who co-founded the late-Sixties psychedelic blues band Traffic with then eighteen-year-old Steve Winwood, died early today of stomach cancer at a London hospital. He was sixty years old.

Born in England to Italian immigrants, Capaldi lived and made music with friends Winwood, Dave Mason and Chris Wood in a cottage in the Berkshire countryside. The crew of multi-instrumentalists and songwriters scored U.K. hits with songs such as "Dear Mr. Fantasy," "Paper Sun" and "40,000 Headmen," releasing eleven albums before breaking up in 1974.

Capaldi went on to record eleven solo records with his own band, the Contenders, while Winwood achieved chart-topping success with his own solo career in the Eighties. In 1994, the two reunited to tour extensively as Traffic, appearing at the revived Woodstock festival. (Of the other original band members, Wood had died of pneumonia in 1983, and guitarist Dave Mason has had a tempestuous relationship with Winwood over the years.)

Traffic were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last March, five months before Capaldi was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Winwood and Capaldi had been set to launch another Traffic tour last October but were forced to cancel in August w[quote[hen Capaldi began treatment for a severe gastric ulcer.

Capaldi is survived by his wife Aninha and his daughters Tabitha, 28, and Tallulah, 26.

ALEX MAR
(Posted Jan 28, 2005)

Traffic has to be one of the most underrated bands in "rock" history...Capaldi definitely deserves more recognition/credit than he has received for being one of the most steady drummers of his era.....

Also, who could possibly forget his lead vocal contributions on "Rock & Roll Stew" from Traffic's 1971 release, "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"?

My condolences to his family...His contributions to music will always be rembered and last to eternity.....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Author Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/21thomp.html

Author Hunter S. Thompson commits suicide

February 20, 2005

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

ASPEN, Colo. -- Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself Sunday night at his home, his son said. He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News. Sheriff's officials did not return calls to The Associated Press late Sunday.

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's time in Las Vegas, he is credited with pioneering New Journalism-- or "gonzo journalism"-- in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story.

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson wrote such books as "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" in 1973 and the collections "Generation of Swine" and "Songs of the Doomed." His first ever novel, "The Rum Diary," written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Other books include "Hell's Angels" and "The Proud Highway." His most recent effort was "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and The Downward Spiral of Dumbness."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.

My old boss had an episode/encounter with Thompson. He (my old boss) used to be EIC of Soldier of Fortune or some such nut magazine/. They used to have a ball every year and invite Thompson to it. Every year they would't get so much as a "no thanks." One year out of the blue he accepts. My boss is invited later out to Thompson's spread in Aspen to fire soem of the demo rifles the magaine gets. Thompson is high as akite on something, and suggests they shoot his jeep. So, they do. It blows up and Thompson flips out--accusing my boss and his buddy of coming to kill him.

I guess it's written up in one of his books. Something about pigs...I can't remember the title right now.

Anyway, strange dude. I'm sorry he was sad enough to kill himself.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rip Hunter S. Thompson

I just bought his book ":Hey Rube" on Friday.

I am seriously bad luck.

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, who didn't see this coming a mile away?

Talented? Yes, very. Disturbed? Definitely.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
The last free man in america just died
:(

Excellent point. But we have to remember the guy lived on borrowed time a long time. Remember when Laslow had that adrenal gland.........

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
The last free man in america just died
:(
pfft. I don't know about that. Thompson was a writer, and a real character, but I don't think he ought to be made out to be a hero or a martyr.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Remains may be blasted out of a cannon

Thompson probably planned suicide
Remains may be blasted out of a cannon
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 Posted: 12:29 PM EST (1729 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Journalist Hunter S. Thompson did not take his life "in a moment of haste or anger or despondency" and probably planned his suicide well in advance because of his declining health, the family's spokesman said Wednesday.

Douglas Brinkley, a historian and author who has edited some of Thompson's work, said the founder of "gonzo" journalism shot himself Sunday night after weeks of pain from a host of physical problems that included a broken leg and a hip replacement.

"I think he made a conscious decision that he had an incredible run of 67 years, lived the way he wanted to, and wasn't going to suffer the indignities of old age," Brinkley said in a telephone interview from Aspen. "He was not going to let anybody dictate how he was going to die."

Thompson, famous for "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and other works of New Journalism, spent an intimate weekend with his son, Juan, daughter-in-law, Jennifer, and young grandson, William, the spokesman said.

"He was trying to really bond and be close to the family" before his suicide, Brinkley said. "This was not just an act of irrationality. It was a very pre-planned act."

The family is looking into whether Thompson's cremated remains can be blasted out of a cannon, a wish the gun-loving writer often expressed, Brinkley said.

"The optimal, best-case scenario is the ashes will be shot out of a cannon," he said.

Other arrangements were pending.