Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country Singer Chris LeDoux Dies at 56

By ROBERT W. BLACK, Associated Press Writer

CHEYENNE, Wyo. -
Chris LeDoux, a world champion ******** rider who parlayed songs about cowboys he knew on the rodeo circuit into a successful country music career, died Wednesday from complications of liver cancer. He was 56.

LeDoux died Wednesday in Casper, according to Judy McDonough, spokeswoman for Capitol Nashville, LeDoux's recording company.

He had checked into the hospital this week following complications from his cancer and was with family and friends at the time of his death.

"All of us at Capitol Records and EMI Music are saddened at the passing of Chris," said Capitol Nashville President and CEO Mike Dungan. "In a world of egos and soundalikes, he was a unique artist and a wonderful man. We have always been proud to represent his music, and honored to call him our friend."

In November, LeDoux canceled several tour dates while undergoing treatment for cancer of the bile duct. He had undergone a liver transplant in 2000 after a lengthy illness.

LeDoux described his music as a combination of "Western soul, sagebrush blues, cowboy folk and rodeo rock 'n' roll."

By 1989, LeDoux had released 22 albums. They were mostly cassettes produced by his parents, which he sold at concerts and rodeos. He had a loyal, if limited, fan base.

But that all changed that year when Brooks had a hit with "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)," which included the line: "A worn-out tape of Chris LeDoux, lonely women and bad booze/seem to be the only friends I've left at all."

The song came at a time when LeDoux's career was sputtering with an independent label and no marketing.

"And here he comes along and mentions the worn-out tapes in his song," LeDoux said of Brooks in an interview with The Associated Press in 2001. "To me, Garth, he's kind of like my guardian angel. It's like every time I need some help, he's there."

LeDoux soon became a country star, teaming up with Brooks for the Top 10 hit, "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy," in 1992.

LeDoux (pronounced luh-DOO) had been playing guitar and harmonica and writing songs since his teens, and he used his musical skills to help pay for his rodeo entry fees in his younger years.

He recorded songs about cowboys, the ups and downs of the rodeo circuit and his adopted home of Wyoming. In 1976, he became the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association's world ******** champion.

In 2003, he released the album "Horsepower" and celebrated career sales of more than 5 million albums.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I never heard of him (since Im not that big a fan of country), however, may my deepest condolences/prayers/thoughts/symphaty go out to his family, friends, acquaintances, and fans/supporters.....

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
I must admit that I never heard of him (since Im not that big a fan of country), however, may my deepest condolences/prayers/thoughts/symphaty go out to his family, friends, acquaintances, and fans/supporters.....

he was great - had an extremely long and successful career all the while not being very well known. great talent.

shawn

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
That sucks. Chris LeDoux was one of the best country artists ever, it's just that not many people listened to him much. If anyone is interested in listening to his music, check out his "Live" album. Fantastic stuff. His studio work didn't do him justice.

As a side note, this is the first time I have posted on this forum. I just happened to see this thread title on the main page and clicked on it. I get more news from this site than everywhere else on the internet combined. Thanks.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Danny Joe Brown (Molly Hatchet lead singer)

Molly Hatchet Lead Singer Dies at 53

DAVIE, Fla. - Danny Joe Brown, the lead singer of the Southern rock band Molly Hatchet, died of complications from diabetes, his family said Monday. He was 53.

Brown died Thursday at his home in Davie, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, his sister Lyndia Brown said.

"He had been in the hospital for about four weeks before he died, and he wanted to come home and he was home for 30 minutes when he died," Lyndia Brown told The Associated Press. "He was surrounded by his children and his wife."

In 1975, the Jacksonville native joined Molly Hatchet, named after a Southern prostitute who allegedly beheaded and mutilated her clients. Brown was frontman for its self-titled album in 1978, which went platinum. In 1979 the next album, "Flirtin' With Disaster," sold over 2 million copies.

Brown left the band in the early 1980s because of his diabetes.

After creating his own group, the Danny Joe Brown Band, he rejoined Molly Hatchet in 1982 to participate in the album "No Guts ... No Glory." The album had limited success and the group eventually disbanded.

Molly Hatchet reunited and toured in 1996 for release of the album "Devil's Canyon."

Brown ended his career after a stroke in 1998, according to reports.

"Danny was way more than a singer for a rock 'n' roll band. He was a great brother, a wonderful son," Lyndia said. "He is going to be missed terribly by everybody."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw them in Flagstaff many many years ago......

They played a show in Springfield (where I lived) in the late 70's - trashed their hotel rooms. They had to come back and play another concert to make enough many to pay for the damage :)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foghat's Rod Price Dies

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7209581/foghat?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

Foghat's Rod Price Dies

British "magician of slide" suffers fatal accident

Rod Price, lead guitarist and founding member of British rockers Foghat, died Tuesday in Wilton, New Hampshire, after suffering head trauma from an accidental fall down a stairway. He was fifty-seven years old.

Born in London, England, Price's signature playing earned him the title "the magician of slide," and propelled Foghat to three platinum albums, including 1975's Fool for the City, which featured the classic-rock radio staple "Slow Ride."

The guitarist also worked with Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Willie Dixon and Champion Jack Dupree and released two solo albums, 2002's Open and 2003's West Four.

Price is survived by his wife, Jackie, and five children.

JESSICA ROBERTSON
(Posted Mar 24, 2005)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
That sucks. Chris LeDoux was one of the best country artists ever, it's just that not many people listened to him much. If anyone is interested in listening to his music, check out his "Live" album. Fantastic stuff. His studio work didn't do him justice.

As a side note, this is the first time I have posted on this forum. I just happened to see this thread title on the main page and clicked on it. I get more news from this site than everywhere else on the internet combined. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum and definitely feel free to post in regards to any genre that you may choose.....

Sorry it took me so long to reply back, but I took a 2-week hiatus from posting on here.......

Anyways, I did check-out his music and am impressed on what an excellent "story-teller" that he was..... He just seemed to know how to paint a vivid picture through his lyrics which has become a lost art now-a-days....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nelly's Sister Loses Her Battle With Leukemia

May all our deepest condolences go out to her, Nelly and their family.....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1498948/20050324/nelly.jhtml?headlines=true

Nelly's Sister Loses Her Battle With Leukemia
03.24.2005 12:55 PM EST

After Jacqueline Donahue's diagnosis, rapper had encouraged minorities to become bone-marrow donors.

Nelly's sister Jacqueline Donahue, 31, lost her three-year battle with leukemia Thursday morning.

In 2003, Donahue co-founded the Jes Us 4 Jackie Foundation, dedicated to educating black people about bone-marrow and stem-cell transplants.

Nelly also worked to raise awareness of his sister's disease, and has appeared at numerous events to enroll minority participants in the National Bone Marrow Registry (see "Nelly Encourages Minorities To Become Bone-Marrow Donors"). Bone-marrow transplants can often offer a better chance of survival for those suffering from leukemia.

A statement from Nelly's family and the Jes Us 4 Jackie Foundation said, "We want to thank everyone for their love and support of Jackie. In particular, we want to thank those who participated in the Jes Us 4 Jackie bone-marrow drives. We are very proud of her efforts to educate and raise awareness about the disease and the need for African-Americans to join the National Donor Registry. She will always be remembered for her loving spirit, energy, courage, and unshakeable faith."

After performing at the Star of Texas Rodeo in Austin, Texas, Wednesday night, Nelly canceled Thursday night's (March 24) performance in Beaumont, Texas, as well as shows he had planned for Friday, Saturday and Monday. It has not yet been determined when he'll resume his tour, which also features Fat Joe and T.I.

His label said, "We are saddened by the loss of Nelly's sister, Jackie Donahue, and extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to Nelly and Jackie's family during this difficult time."

— Abbey Goodman

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family for their loss.

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
This is one of those artists I wish Iwould have taken the time to see live, and now am kicking myself that I never did.

I think its refreshing to hear a real cowboy sing about experiences and stories of a life they lived. His music always came off as sincere and real.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RIP: Lalo Guerrero ("father of Chicano music")

Father of Chicano Music Dies
Source: D B Freedlander

Lalo Guerrero, known as the father of Chicano music, died Thursday (3/17/05) at his home in Southern California. He was 88.

Born Eduardo Guerrero Jr., he for 60 years created songs in Spanish and English chronicling the Mexican-American experience, including Pachuco music later used in the play "Zoot Suit."

Guerrero created more than 700 songs and sold millions of records in both Spanish and English in a bewildering number of styles, from swing to protest songs, cha-chas to rock'n roll. His Spanish hits included Nunca Jamas and Cancion Mexicana, which has been described as Mexico's unofficial national anthem.

He also wrote ballads in the Mexican "corrido" style that honored Robert Kennedy and farm workers' rights leader Cesar Chavez.

However, Guerrero will primarily be remembered as a satirist. He became a star in 1955 with a parody of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" from a Walt Disney movie; the track went on to sell 500,000 copies.

There followed a string of hit parodies in both English and Spanish with names such as Pancho Claus, Elvis Perez and Tacos for Two (to the tune of Cocktails for Two). Some took satirical swipes at discrimination, such as Mama, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Busboys.

After dropping out of high school during the Depression, Guerrero drifted to Los Angeles, where arranger-producer Manuel Acuna saw him on a street, asked if he was a musician and took him to a recording studio the next day.

"It wasn't planned. I didn't have an agent," he told the Associated Press last year. "It just never occurred to me.”

President Clinton conferred on Guerrero the Medal of the Arts in 1997. Guerrero was also a National Heritage Fellowship winner in 1991 and was named a "National Folk Treasure" by the Smithsonian Institute in 1980. In 1991 he received a National Heritage Award from the National Foundation for the Arts.

Guerrero's last work was to record three of his songs for an album by guitarist Ry Cooder called Chavez Ravine, which is scheduled to be released this summer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lmao:

I've got to go find some of this guy's stuff, especially looking forward to the Ry Cooder cd. :thumbup:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Chicano music the same as "Ranchero"??? That stuff that has tubas and accordians?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowded House Drummer Paul Hester Found Dead In Australia

Wow... I'm just shocked.....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1499093/20050328/crowded_house.jhtml?headlines=true

Crowded House Drummer Paul Hester Found Dead In Australia
03.28.2005 7:31 AM EST

Authorities rule out foul play, say founding member of band committed suicide.

Australian police made a grim discovery on Saturday, when the body of 46-year-old Paul Hester, who formed the popular rock group Crowded House with singer Neil Finn and bass player Nick Seymour in 1985, was found in Elsternwick Park near the drummer's Melbourne home, according to Australian daily newspaper The Age. Hester, who'd also played drums with Finn in New Zealand's Split Enz, was reported missing Friday night after he failed to return from walking his two dogs, police told The Age.

Investigators have been able to rule out foul play, saying instead that Hester took his own life. Authorities claim he "attempted suicide" and eventually died from strangulation. Hester was beyond help by the time ambulance personnel arrived at the scene. Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokeswoman Liraje Memishi could not confirm various news reports suggesting Hester's body was found hanging from a tree.

Speaking from London, where he's currently on tour, Neil Finn said he was devastated by the death. "I have lost one of my best mates," he told Australian paper The Daily Telegraph.

After leaving Crowded House in 1994, Hester became a familiar voice and face on Australian radio and televisions shows and opened a tea house in Elwood Beach. Musically, he has collaborated with Richard Pleasance, Deborah Conway (in the group Ultrasound) and Penny Flanagan, and wrote songs with old Deckchairs Overboard cohort John Clifforth. Hester hosted a music show on Australia's ABC network, and had a recurring role as Paul the Cook on the children's program "The Wiggles."

— Chris Harris

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnnie Johnson Dies

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...n?pageid=rs.NewsArchive&pageregion=mainRegion

Johnnie Johnson Dies

Pianist was inspiration for Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode"

Rock & roll pioneer Johnnie Johnson died yesterday of natural causes at eighty years old. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee collaborated with Chuck Berry for nearly thirty years, and was the inspiration for Berry's seminal 1958 hit "Johnny B. Goode."

In 1953, the rock and blues pianist invited the young Berry to join his band, the Sir John Trio. Berry quickly took over, and the band soon produced such Fifties classics as "Maybellene," "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Sweet Little Sixteen." The two parted ways in 1973 and then reunited in 1986 for Berry's sixtieth birthday performance in St. Louis, documented in Taylor Hackford's Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll.

In the early Nineties, Johnson recorded two solo records for Elektra's American Explorer series. And in 2001, Richards inducted Johnson into the Hall of Fame.

"It was so much fun to play with Johnnie," said Bo Diddley, with whom Johnson played his final show. "The world has lost a great man and a great musician."

West Virginia native Johnson is survived by his wife Frances and ten children.

ALEX MAR
(Posted Apr 22, 2005)

May my deepest thoughts and prayers go to his family... His legacy in music will never cease......

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
French Music Producer Eddie Barclay Dies

May I express my deepest condolences to his family...RIP... What a true legend he was, but his legacy and importance will never cease....

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/19222606

French Music Producer Eddie Barclay Dies

05/13/2005 6:34 PM, AP

Eddie Barclay, a flamboyant French music producer whose stable of singers included Jacques Brel and Charles Aznavour and who worked for years with Quincy Jones, has died. He was 84.

Barclay died overnight Thursday at the Ambroise Pare hospital in Paris, the Barclay organization said Friday. He had been in the hospital since April 29 and suffered from urinary and pulmonary infections in recent weeks.

Born in 1921 in Paris, Barclay started his production house in the 1950s and marketed artists from the U.S. company Mercury. After selling 1 1/2 million copies of The Platters' "Only You," Barclay's label rose to become France's top music production company at the time.

He was famous for wearing white and holding exclusive parties in Saint-Tropez where guests also wore white.

"After the death of Eddie Barclay, there's no more showbusiness, there's only business left," the French singer Carlos, a close friend, told RTL radio.

Barclay started his career as a jazz pianist before setting himself up as a music producer and changing his name from Edouard Ruault.

Jones, who composed and arranged two of Barclay's albums — Et Voila in 1957 and Twilight Time in 1960 — said a close friend and mentor "has left the room, but he will never, ever leave my heart."

In a statement, Jones said Barclay hired him at the age of 24 to be musical director of Barclay Records, "introducing me to a life that I never dreamed of."

Brel, the poet-singer from Belgium who died in 1978, started a long relationship with Barclay in 1962, and recorded hits such as "Le Plat Pays," ("The Flat Country") and "Les Bigotes" ("The Holier-than-thous") on his label.

Aznavour, who met Barclay more than 60 years ago, said he had lost a close friend.

"He came looking for me late but he gave me the freedom to do what I wanted," he told France Info radio. "He taught himself about music, he had music in his heart and his head."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05