My 2012 Moves

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the desire for massive turnover for a team that went 7-2 over the second half of the season and was 4-2 in division last year. Clearly things were coming together once the offseason rust was shaken off.

Isn't it a better idea to keep the core together and build depth and for the future--you know, what the good teams in the league do?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch. I agree with much of it. I'm all for letting Rhodes, Bradley, and Stuckey go. I also think the Cards have already moved on from Levi and Lutui. Kolb will only be let go if Manning is signed. I'm fine, if no Peyton, letting Skelton and Kolb battle it out. Kolb's concussions are going to limit the number of games he plays next year.

In free agency, I would love Gholdson to be brought in for Rhodes. He and Wilson would be two big hitters back there. On the OL, the guy I think the Cards will target is Anthony Collins from the Bengals. He has played well but he's stuck behind 2 pretty good OT's in Whitworth and Andre Smith. He would be a nice upgrade at RT. I think th LT is coming from the draft. I like Martin the best. He's the most athletic, an underrated run blocker, and he played in a pro style offense at Stanford.

As for WR, I've been an advocate of brining back Doucet and adding Meachem/Simpson(before the drugs). At PK, I was the guy who mentioned Nugent and think he would be the ideal guy going forward. However, he's an Ohio kid and may want to stay in Cincy.

The Cards won't be big players in free agency but they don't need to be:
PK-Nugent
OT-Collins, also look at James Lee from TB
FS-Gholdson
re-sign Marshall, tag CC
look for depth at OG
bring in another vet CB, would love for it to be Porter but he'll want paid. Terrell Thomas is my choice.
I think ILB needs to be addressed but it seems the Cards will be content to go with Lenon/Bradley again. David Hawthorne form Seattle would be a nice upgrade.

I think your moves are very realistic, Cbus---especially the T Collins call---the T they sign will be him or someone like him, which is why I like Snyder, who is a lot like Colledge...a player who is just starting to find his niche and already has had a modicum of success.

Great call on Nugent---sorry I didn't remember it was you---but man that was the right pick, imo.

Say---what is your take on T Mike Adams and C Mike Brewster? I thought both of them acquitted themselves very well at the Senior Bowl---but you've seen a lot more of them than any of us has.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the desire for massive turnover for a team that went 7-2 over the second half of the season and was 4-2 in division last year. Clearly things were coming together once the offseason rust was shaken off.

Isn't it a better idea to keep the core together and build depth and for the future--you know, what the good teams in the league do?

:thumbup:

But, at least Mitch isn't moving someone from "D" to "O" or vice-versa this time out. (lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill isn't going to last to the #13 pick.....take him out of the equation as an option for us.

I'm not sold at all on Jonathon Martin as a value pick at #13.

I don't want to spend our #13 on a WR....I don't care if Kendall Wright is available or Malcom Floyd. If they think that this is a need (and I agree), then address this in FA. This is the best crop of potential WR's in FA in a long time.

I like DeCastro at #13....and if Deuce can be re-signed, with Hadnot and Colledge, we are set at OG.

Dennis Dixon from the Steelers as a backup QB....I like this. Could we package Kolb and Doucet and translate it into a 2nd round pick or even a 3rd rounder with anyone?

I can't see us even remotely considering a C in the draft. Sendlien and Bartholomew are just fine.

Alphonso Smith is my choice as the #3 RB. LHS as the #4.

Let's cut bait and run on Todd Heap.

And finally, I'm not a Stewart Bradley hater. I really think he might have a break out year this year. I'm for giving him another year. I don't think Paris Lenon has much left in the tank.

I'm curious to see if Quan Sturdivant makes any progress this year.

Toler, AJ and Butler will be in each others face for playing time this year. We must re-sign Marshall.

MAN, IT'S FUN TO BE TALKING FOOTBALL AGAIN.

Agree totally, Spanky, on Tannehill whom I could see going as early as #6 to Washington---or to Seattle at #12, if others pass on him.

I actually think Martin is this year's Anthony Castonzo--very good, lanky, athletic LT who fits in a pass first system---but we don't ever draft tackles like that---we draft tackles who should be guards---although---the way Levi Brown played in the last seven games, only surrendering 1 sack and a mere 8 QB pressures---I think he has turned the corner and I prefer him now especially because "Beanie Left" seems to work with ease thanks to Levi and Colledge---with a little help from King at times.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
:thumbup:

But, at least Mitch isn't moving someone from "D" to "O" or vice-versa this time out. (lol)

Hah!

Here's my new one for you, Canuck. Calais Campbell as a red zone TE. Who in the world could cover him? Not even the 6'4" Seattle CBs! Maybe with a broomstick!

Situational---though---strictly situational, so don't get too worked up m'man!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hah!

Here's my new one for you, Canuck. Calais Campbell as a red zone TE. Who in the world could cover him? Not even the 6'4" Seattle CBs! Maybe with a broomstick!

Situational---though---strictly situational, so don't get too worked up m'man!

Can't believe it!

But, I sort of like this one... :D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I am with k9 on this. I'm ok tearing up the offensive line, because it needs it. I'm not at all understanding why we would tear up our secondary which Horton attributed to our better defensive play because we were not having as many blown assignments because players finally started to understand the scheme. I also don't see the point of discarding our QB depth in Kolb when we only have Bartels behind him.

I'm ok with adding peices to our receiving corp, or youth and depth to our defense, but cutting/signing replacements seems like overkill.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am with k9 on this. I'm ok tearing up the offensive line, because it needs it. I'm not at all understanding why we would tear up our secondary which Horton attributed to our better defensive play because we were not having as many blown assignments because players finally started to understand the scheme. I also don't see the point of discarding our QB depth in Kolb when we only have Bartels behind him.

I'm ok with adding peices to our receiving corp, or youth and depth to our defense, but cutting/signing replacements seems like overkill.

Definitely overkill... ;)

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
This forum has a very strange obsession with white football players.

Luke Kuechly doesn't deserve to go in the first round.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

???

White, black, yellow... he's off the board in the first round.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
???

White, black, yellow... he's off the board in the first round.

If the Cards are drafting a LB at #13 than he better be near Patrick Willis quality because like RBs, they are dime a dozen.

Kuechly is very smart and has a high motor, but the Cards need to thumper like Gerald Hayes to destroy lead blockers not a slower and less agile version of Daryl Washington.

He might go in the first round because of hype much like Blaine Gabbert did last year undeservedly, but I highly doubt he will be anywhere near as effective as the LBs drafted in the 2nd/3rd the last few years.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I like the way Mitch thinks and even he would admit that all of this is far reaching, however, if you could get Goldson and Brooks I don't think you are revamping too much because Rhodes wasn't playing for the winning run of last season and Goldson would be a beast.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the way Mitch thinks and even he would admit that all of this is far reaching, however, if you could get Goldson and Brooks I don't think you are revamping too much because Rhodes wasn't playing for the winning run of last season and Goldson would be a beast.

Gp;dson is a likely Tag. As we need another OLB, Brooks makes sense.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch. I agree with much of it. I'm all for letting Rhodes, Bradley, and Stuckey go. I also think the Cards have already moved on from Levi and Lutui. Kolb will only be let go if Manning is signed. I'm fine, if no Peyton, letting Skelton and Kolb battle it out. Kolb's concussions are going to limit the number of games he plays next year.

They most surely have moved on from Lutui but I'm not so sure about Levi. I'm still thinking they bring him back.... not that it's what I want to happen, but still very likely, imo

It's a 2 edged sword, it he's gone who is going to replace him, a rookie draft pick?? Somehow I think the coaching staff still likes him..if he stays, I shutter to think about that option too.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. Like you, I would like to see the continuance of bringing stronger, tougher players into the fold like you said last year. It is for that very reason that I agree with you about going with Skelton as the QB. He definitely owns the Cardinals huddle right now, and his tough play was a big part of that, along with his escapability. I don't know about Kolb being our starter. Even though Whiz proclaimed that he was ready to break out when he suffered an early concussion, I am not so sure. I happen to believe that he suffers more from fear of being hit, than he does from not knowing our playbook. To me it seems that he gets 'deer in the headlights syndrome' once the ball is snapped, and he forgets everything he has learned and panics at the first hint of a pass rush. The problem with cutting him though is that he will still cost us all but about 2.4 million dollars of his nearly 9 mil. salary. Not a lot of savings there at all. I do like the idea of drafting the QB you described though, even if he is just on the PS for this year.

The offensive line is yet another matter. Due to the fact that continuity is a really big factor in line play, AND the fact that Levi played very well at LT down the stretch this past year, I am hoping that after finding out that he will not command nearly what he might have envisioned that he would get maybe then we can restructure a new contract with him at a more reasonable rate. Deuce should also be sought after, because frankly, NO ONE on this line has played better in the past ten years, weight problems or not. I would also like to see us retain Baptiste.

I am concerned that we might have some real serious cap problems this year. It seems to me that Graves lack of constant attention to contracts has left us in trouble yet again. I really don't know what to expect from free agency, and hate to resort to drafting for need yet again. I just don't see us having a lot of money to spend in free agency even if we get Levi's contract re-structured. Maybe I am wrong there-----I can only hope I am.

As for the draft, I would love to get Reilly Reif but he will more likely be gone when we pick. Either Keuchly or DeCastro would be solid in the first, (or the WR you spoke of). I am so ready to see what will come of our off-season moves. I believe completely in Keim's ability to identify the personnel we need. I just wish I had as much confidence in Graves and Whiz to do what is needed in both FA and the Draft.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Say---what is your take on T Mike Adams and C Mike Brewster? I thought both of them acquitted themselves very well at the Senior Bowl---but you've seen a lot more of them than any of us has.
I think Adams is a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. His best year was this past year but he also missed 5 games. If he puts it all together, he will be a very good pro. I don't know if the suspension and all the turmoil at OSU made him grow up, but he played soft and inconsistent the prior years. He has the ability and size but so do alot of guys who never put it together. He's never really played with a sense of urgency.

Brewster is the opposite. He plays hard and with a sense of urgency. I think his stock is being hurt by OSU's bad year. I really don't see a whole lot of difference between him and Mangold. He'll be long time starter at C. His best year was his junior year.

I think both guy's development was curtailed by the OL coach. He always seemed to get a boat load of talent coming out of high school but none of the really ever developed into much, or lived up to their promise. The good thing for OSU is he's now gone. The bad thing for you, being a BC fan, I'm about 99% sure he's the new OL coach at BC. Jim Bollman is his name.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

That is ridiculous.

I couldn't be the fact the people LOVE to call people out for this whenever they can, and just jump at the opporutnity to say: "Because he is white" could it ? No.......couldn't be.

If you look for it hard enough, you will always find a way to find what you are looking for.

That is it guys. No, Riley Reiff, Jonathan Martin, or Mike Adams less we want to look like racists!

:rolleyes:

Luke Kuechly is touted by many a "draft guru" so go write a letter to ESPN, or NFL.com, or PFF about it as well.

How about sticking to football like the post below, which is great.

If the Cards are drafting a LB at #13 than he better be near Patrick Willis quality because like RBs, they are dime a dozen.

Kuechly is very smart and has a high motor, but the Cards need to thumper like Gerald Hayes to destroy lead blockers not a slower and less agile version of Daryl Washington.

He might go in the first round because of hype much like Blaine Gabbert did last year undeservedly, but I highly doubt he will be anywhere near as effective as the LBs drafted in the 2nd/3rd the last few years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Cutting a FS in Rhodes who has decent range, and covers for your SS who is limited in coverage for a player like Goldson who is a poor copy of Adrian Wilson is a total change in the back half of your defense. Horton stated it many times last year that players making mistakes in the secondary are devastating because they lead to big plays. It doesn't make sense to cut an experienced veteran at FS for a younger, less athletic S who you would have to outbid other teams on in the open market.

Adding Brooks isn't a big deal, but it is critical that we re-sign Clark Haggens as he provides quality snaps.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Cutting a FS in Rhodes who has decent range, and covers for your SS who is limited in coverage for a player like Goldson who is a poor copy of Adrian Wilson is a total change in the back half of your defense. Horton stated it many times last year that players making mistakes in the secondary are devastating because they lead to big plays. It doesn't make sense to cut an experienced veteran at FS for a younger, less athletic S who you would have to outbid other teams on in the open market.

Adding Brooks isn't a big deal, but it is critical that we re-sign Clark Haggens as he provides quality snaps.

Chooper, Goldson less athletic than Rhodes?---in fact, he's quicker to the ball, especially in run force or throws over the middle. The 49ers are thinking of f-tagging Goldson for a very good reason---he's an enforcer in that middle.

Adding Brooks isn't a big deal? This guy has wreaked havoc on us---and he's just coming into his prime.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chooper, Goldson less athletic than Rhodes?---in fact, he's quicker to the ball, especially in run force or throws over the middle. The 49ers are thinking of f-tagging Goldson for a very good reason---he's an enforcer in that middle.

Adding Brooks isn't a big deal? This guy has wreaked havoc on us---and he's just coming into his prime.

1-Yes, Goldson is smaller and slower. Godlson is 6'2" 200lbs and Rhodes is 6'3" 214. Goldson excells in covering intermediate routes on a team, that plays man with safeties over the top. Rhodes excells in playing deep zone, either single high S or deep half. A huge difference. Also, it's not much of a surprise if the 49ers franchise him as tag numbers are down significantly.

2-Brooks would not be a big deal in regards to continuity. I was not implying that he would not possibly be an impact player. (though I think San fran got the most out of him)

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
1-Yes, Goldson is smaller and slower. Godlson is 6'2" 200lbs and Rhodes is 6'3" 214. Goldson excells in covering intermediate routes on a team, that plays man with safeties over the top. Rhodes excells in playing deep zone, either single high S or deep half. A huge difference. Also, it's not much of a surprise if the 49ers franchise him as tag numbers are down significantly.

2-Brooks would not be a big deal in regards to continuity. I was not implying that he would not possibly be an impact player. (though I think San fran got the most out of him)

Here's where I differ with you on this one---we need tacklers on this team---it's one of the main reasons why we parted with DRC. Rhodes is not and has never been a good tackler, especially in the open field or in coming up fast to force the run. Now Wilson---whether it is by acquiring bad habits or whether he was favoring his arm last year, but even before last year, is almost strictly now a shoulder thud hitter, who consistently makes little to no attempt to wrap up---add to that Wilson's penchant for poor coverage and/or for blowing or misunderstanding his assignments and what we have had back there as safeties are two weak links. Yes, Wilson can intimidate and he sure can still rush the passer---and Rhodes does have range, although, again, how many times did you see him make a play over the top last year?

I don't think it was a total coincidence that the defense started to get better last year when Horton minimized and simplified Wilson's role and when Rashad Johnson and Richard Marshall were being used at the cover safety spots. That was while Rhodes was out.

We have significant issues at the safety position and two players who also don't deserve the high salaries they are making.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's where I differ with you on this one---we need tacklers on this team---it's one of the main reasons why we parted with DRC. Rhodes is not and has never been a good tackler, especially in the open field or in coming up fast to force the run. Now Wilson---whether it is by acquiring bad habits or whether he was favoring his arm last year, but even before last year, is almost strictly now a shoulder thud hitter, who consistently makes little to no attempt to wrap up---add to that Wilson's penchant for poor coverage and/or for blowing or misunderstanding his assignments and what we have had back there as safeties are two weak links. Yes, Wilson can intimidate and he sure can still rush the passer---and Rhodes does have range, although, again, how many times did you see him make a play over the top last year?

I don't think it was a total coincidence that the defense started to get better last year when Horton minimized and simplified Wilson's role and when Rashad Johnson and Richard Marshall were being used at the cover safety spots. That was while Rhodes was out.

We have significant issues at the safety position and two players who also don't deserve the high salaries they are making.

Time warp???

Everyone blew assignments in the first half of the year as they assimilated the new "D". After his year one with the Cards, I'll certainly give Rhodes a pass on year two given the new "D" and his injury. He's part, to my mind, of the building of a solid "D" and not a problem.

Wilson, again, like everyone else, had to adapt and he did. I saw wrap up tackling to the point of worrying that he'd reinjure his arm and noted some fine pass "D" in the latter part of season. Lest we forget, he went to the Pro Bowl.

Now, if you want to point to a player who preferred the big hit to wrapping up, I'll give you one: Rashad Johnson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser