My 2012 Moves

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Time warp???

Everyone blew assignments in the first half of the year as they assimilated the new "D". After his year one with the Cards, I'll certainly give Rhodes a pass on year two given the new "D" and his injury. He's part, to my mind, of the building of a solid "D" and not a problem.

Wilson, again, like everyone else, had to adapt and he did. I saw wrap up tackling to the point of worrying that he'd reinjure his arm and noted some fine pass "D" in the latter part of season. Lest we forget, he went to the Pro Bowl.

Now, if you want to point to a player who preferred the big hit to wrapping up, I'll give you one: Rashad Johnson.

Agree with all of this. I'd still like to retain Johnson, and especially Marshall who is a tackling machine. A little more pass rush and some depth, and we have a pretty decent defense, which is a nice change.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here's where I differ with you on this one---we need tacklers on this team---it's one of the main reasons why we parted with DRC. Rhodes is not and has never been a good tackler, especially in the open field or in coming up fast to force the run. Now Wilson---whether it is by acquiring bad habits or whether he was favoring his arm last year, but even before last year, is almost strictly now a shoulder thud hitter, who consistently makes little to no attempt to wrap up---add to that Wilson's penchant for poor coverage and/or for blowing or misunderstanding his assignments and what we have had back there as safeties are two weak links. Yes, Wilson can intimidate and he sure can still rush the passer---and Rhodes does have range, although, again, how many times did you see him make a play over the top last year?

I don't think it was a total coincidence that the defense started to get better last year when Horton minimized and simplified Wilson's role and when Rashad Johnson and Richard Marshall were being used at the cover safety spots. That was while Rhodes was out.

We have significant issues at the safety position and two players who also don't deserve the high salaries they are making.

I need tacklers in my front 7 and on the outside setting the edge. I need coverage guys in the deep half of the field which is where my FS plays. Adrian Wilson is our 8th man in the box, not Kerry Rhodes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I need tacklers in my front 7 and on the outside setting the edge. I need coverage guys in the deep half of the field which is where my FS plays. Adrian Wilson is our 8th man in the box, not Kerry Rhodes.

I actually think that Rhodes is effective playing in the box and close to the LOS. That's where he was effective with the Jets (he had a falling out with Rex Ryan when Ryan wanted him playing more center field), and he was effective there two years ago under Bill Davis. Under Davis's three-safety nickel package, it was usually Rashard Johnson playing the middle in the three-deep look that caused DRC such problems, while Adrian Wilson was running directly into the right tackle and Rhodes had coverage responsibilities that are now given over the Daryl Washington.

I think that our Three-safety package now has Richard Marshall in the Johnson role (a clear upgrade because Johnson has been a complete disaster), who from his time as a cornerback in Carolina has a lot of comfort playing interior zones.

It's difficult to remember now how terrible Marshall was last season on the perimeter. If Marshall gets an eight-figure bonus from someone to play corner next month, she should send an Edible Arrangement to Horton for moving him back inside.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As long as we get a top quality free agent left tackle, I will be happy. They need to draft some linemen as well, but I really believe it's time to stop messing around and just go out and get a good one that has proven himself.

Native Az

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As long as we get a top quality free agent left tackle, I will be happy. They need to draft some linemen as well, but I really believe it's time to stop messing around and just go out and get a good one that has proven himself.

Bro, did you get the exile hammer over at the other forum?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I know it's not Graves's style but I hear Washington is going let LaRon Landry hit the open market. They have only offered him a 1 year deal, at least accoriding to NFL radio. He'd be better than anyone we're talking about but he has had injury problems.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really (really) don't think the Cardinals should be spinning their wheels about either S position this offseason. Maybe draft one late if there's a guy that falls, but otherwise we have a very good tandem in Wilson and Rhodes.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really (really) don't think the Cardinals should be spinning their wheels about either S position this offseason. Maybe draft one late if there's a guy that falls, but otherwise we have a very good tandem in Wilson and Rhodes.
Second that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Third

Stick with the Lines and the Linebackers.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
We are scheduled to spend $11M this season (Wilson $6.5M, Rhodes $4.5M) for two safeties that (while they do some things well) are not the right fits on this defense...that is, unless Rhodes suddenly learns to tackle with authority, and Wilson suddenly learns to cover in space.

2 safeties that take up close to 1/12th of the entire cap.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are scheduled to spend $11M this season (Wilson $6.5M, Rhodes $4.5M) for two safeties that (while they do some things well) are not the right fits on this defense...that is, unless Rhodes suddenly learns to tackle with authority, and Wilson suddenly learns to cover in space.

2 safeties that take up close to 1/12th of the entire cap.

Have you ever heard a suggestion from our D-coordinator that Rhodes and Wilson don't fit his scheme?

Take the time to review some tape from the latter half of last season and you'll note some solid coverage in space by Wilson.

And what exactly does "tackle with authority" mean? You wrap up and stop forward progress or you don't and, over his tenure in AZ, I saw little failing on this score from Rhodes.

Their combined CAP charge is hardly striking for players of this experience and quality and will diminish as a % of the CAP in seasons to come.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Have you ever heard a suggestion from our D-coordinator that Rhodes and Wilson don't fit his scheme?

Take the time to review some tape from the latter half of last season and you'll note some solid coverage in space by Wilson.

And what exactly does "tackle with authority" mean? You wrap up and stop forward progress or you don't and, over his tenure in AZ, I saw little failing on this score from Rhodes.

Their combined CAP charge is hardly striking for players of this experience and quality and will diminish as a % of the CAP in seasons to come.

When you look at how Dick LeBeau plays his safeties in Pittsburgh--- positions that Ray Horton coached himself under LeBeau---neither Wilson nor Rhodes fits the bill.

Wilson was not good in deep coverage---and wasn't even close to being good.

He was good in the red zone where the field is squashed---but there were several occasions where Rhodes tried to do with Wilson what he did with Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark, which was to interchange them for blitzing purposes and for disguising the coverages---and Wilson surrendered easy TDs without even getting remotely close to playing over the top.

If you go and review the tapes---Rhodes plays soft---which is the EXACT reason why he lost favor in NY. He's a solid center fielder in coverage---and a pretty good blitzer, if he gets a straight shot at the QB---beyond that, he is not the intimating presence in the middle that coaches want in a FS (and neither is Wilson in the deep middle because he has zero anticipation and can't react to the ball fast enough)---nor does Rhodes force the run with authority (and you knew exactly what i meant by tackling with authority---something that the Cardinal defenses have lacked until Horton started tapping into the team's youth to get).

They take up---just the 2 of them---1/11th of the cap---which is one of the reasons why the Cardinals will likely be very dormant in free agency this year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
When you look at how Dick LeBeau plays his safeties in Pittsburgh--- positions that Ray Horton coached himself under LeBeau---neither Wilson nor Rhodes fits the bill.

Wilson was not good in deep coverage---and wasn't even close to being good.

He was good in the red zone where the field is squashed---but there were several occasions where Rhodes tried to do with Wilson what he did with Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark, which was to interchange them for blitzing purposes and for disguising the coverages---and Wilson surrendered easy TDs without even getting remotely close to playing over the top.

If you go and review the tapes---Rhodes plays soft---which is the EXACT reason why he lost favor in NY. He's a solid center fielder in coverage---and a pretty good blitzer, if he gets a straight shot at the QB---beyond that, he is not the intimating presence in the middle that coaches want in a FS (and neither is Wilson in the deep middle because he has zero anticipation and can't react to the ball fast enough)---nor does Rhodes force the run with authority (and you knew exactly what i meant by tackling with authority---something that the Cardinal defenses have lacked until Horton started tapping into the team's youth to get).

They take up---just the 2 of them---1/11th of the cap---which is one of the reasons why the Cardinals will likely be very dormant in free agency this year.

I get what your saying Mitch, neither is the perfect fit but you also don't get rid of pretty darn good football players because they aren't exactly scheme perfect. Now, AW probably has 2-3 years left & we might ought to be looking for his replacement but 2012 isn't the time to be moving on IMO. Goldsen's a helluva a player though!!!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I get what your saying Mitch, neither is the perfect fit but you also don't get rid of pretty darn good football players because they aren't exactly scheme perfect. Now, AW probably has 2-3 years left & we might ought to be looking for his replacement but 2012 isn't the time to be moving on IMO. Goldsen's a helluva a player though!!!

I LOVE Goldson. Loved him last year when no one was offering him a decent wage---AND the 49ers had already signed his replacement---but alas he came begging back to them for a chance to compete.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
5th. Of all the needs, safety is far down the list, after OT, G, WR, pass rusher, OLB, CB depth, punter. ILB to develop.

However, the Cards went CB,RB,TE in last years draft. All of those were far down the list so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cards took a WR and Safety in rounds 1 and 3. Or DT or DE or TE. Or even a QB.

Buckybird

Reaction score
However, the Cards went CB,RB,TE in last years draft. All of those were far down the list so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cards took a WR and Safety in rounds 1 and 3. Or DT or DE or TE. Or even a QB.

You're soooo right Duck. Anything the Cards do in the draft shouldn't be suprising...drafting Steve Pisarkiwiez when Jim Hart was QB & drafting Kelly Stouffer when it had Neil Lomax. Wtf is in the water our management's drinking? Someone heard RG today talking about how much he liked Rb Trent Richardson :bang:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Kevin Kolb ($8.3M)---Levi Brown ($16M)---Joey Porter ($5.75M)---Stewart Bradley ($6M)---Kerry Rhodes ($4.5M)---Todd Heap ($3.375M)---Chansi Stuckey ($1.75M)---Deuce Lutui ($1.3M)---Floyd Womack ($925K)---

-----------------

1. Kolb = accelerated signing bonus ($8M): save about $2M in CAP room.

2. Bradley = accelerated bonus: save $2M

3. Rhodes = bonus: save $3M

4. Porter was re-done last year and is already off the books. 0 saving

5. Lutui is a UFA and already off the books. 0 saving

I will also help with some other corrections.

If we cut Chansi Stuckey its a savings of 2.45M

If we cut L. Brown its a savings of 18.225M

Fitz has a 15 M Roster Bonus and if they can change that to a Signing bonus and pro rated that over the re-maining 7 years left on his contract they could save another 7.143M. (15M / 7 yrs = 2.145 + 5 yr base = 7.143.
15M - 7.143 = 7.857M savings.

Brown - 18.225M
Fitz - 7.857M
Stuckey - 2.34
Heap - 3.375
K.Knob - 2M
Bradley - 2M
Womack - .925M
4.07 Cap Space left
7.04 Cap left over from 2011

All together we could possibley save $44.475

Not saying that we will do the above but you can look as what they could do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Fitz has a 15 M Roster Bonus and if they can change that to a Signing bonus and pro rated that over the re-maining 7 years left on his contract they could save another 7.143M. (15M / 7 yrs = 2.145 + 5 yr base = 7.143.

Brown - 18.225M
Fitz - 7.857M
Stuckey - 2.34
Heap - 3.375
K.Knob - 2M
Bradley - 2M
Womack - .925M
4.07 Cap Space left

Not saying that we will do the above but you can look as what the could do.

Bless you, Czar!

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
You're soooo right Duck. Anything the Cards do in the draft shouldn't be suprising...drafting Steve Pisarkiwiez when Jim Hart was QB & drafting Kelly Stouffer when it had Neil Lomax. Wtf is in the water our management's drinking? Someone heard RG today talking about how much he liked Rb Trent Richardson :bang:

I doubt even RG would even be stupid enough to draft 3 RBs in the top two rounds in four years. :p

He is probably trying to bait the Bengals to trade up.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I doubt even RG would even be stupid enough to draft 3 RBs in the top two rounds in four years. :p

He is probably trying to bait the Bengals to trade up.

I doubt it also, but this is RG & we possibly have issues still at RB. Never be suprised at anything this organization does.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Brown - 18.225M
Fitz - 7.857M
Stuckey - 2.34
Heap - 3.375
K.Knob - 2M
Bradley - 2M
Womack - .925M
4.07 Cap Space left

Not saying that we will do the above but you can look as what they could do.

.... and one can add, a one time $1.5M call against the future CAP and turning Wilson's salary into a bonus ($6M+)

P.S. The Stuckey saving is $1.75 due to a bonus.

Bottom line, as you point out, the FO has many ways of being creative this off-season if, say, it targets PM.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I guess until Mr. B assumes room temperature we'll keep hearing these historic references, but, it has nothing to do with Mike Bidwill, Graves and Whiz.

Graves is asked about Richardson and he praises him... good!

Hopefully, he gets picked before the Cards select or, better still, he's there at #13 opening up a potential trade down.