My FA CB target...

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
My FA CB target..."Thank you"

http://www.mattspatsblog.com/?p=148 said:
More than Advertised: #22 Asante Samuel

Asante Samuel has recently hurdled into the spotlight with his 3 interceptions in the last 2 games.

Asante (which means "Thank you" in Swahili) Samuel was born on January 6th, 1981 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He attended Boyd H. Anderson High School in Lauderdale Lakes, Florida. During his high school years, he played Quarterback, Defensive back, Kicker and Punter for his football team, while also playing on the basketball and baseball teams. During his Junior year, he racked up 2,300 all-purpose yards while playing quarterback. During his senior year, he concentrated on his stronger skill: defense. At the end of the season he had 4 interceptions, 75 tackles, and earned All-Broward County and All-State honors. At this point he was considered one of the country's top pass defenders.

He attended the University of Central Florida in 1999 where he majored in business. During his freshman year, he played in every game of the season at Free Safety. Sophomore year, he officially became a cornerback, starting the season-opener and playing in every game. Samuel started to bloom in his junior year, starting every game of the season. He earned an All-Independent first-team selection by Football News. That season, he made 41 tackles, 2 interceptions, a team-high 13 deflected passes, 2 fumble recoveries, and he blocked a kick. Senior year was the same story: Started all year at cornerback, earned All-Mid American Conference first-team selection, recorded 48 tackles (3 for losses), deflected a team-high 15 passes, and intercepted a team-high 4 passes.

Over the span of his college career, he recorded 127 tackles, 8 interceptions, 38 pass deflections, 63 punt returns for 673 yards (10.8 avg), and 10 kickoff returns for 168 yards (16.8 avg.). His 38 pass break-ups broke the old school career-record of 34. He was also chosen by his teammates to be the captain of the special teams squad.

The Patriots selected him in the fourth round (120th overall) of the 2003 NFL draft and was signed on July 15th, 2003. That season, he spent most of his time as the team's fifth defensive back. But, due to Ty Law's injury, he got his first start in a victory against Miami on October 19th. He was also named NFL Rookie of the Week for his performance against the Jets when he grabbed his first career interception and returned it 55 yards for a touchdown, sealing a 23-16 victory in the Patriots' home opener. His rookie season stats are pretty good: he played in all 16 games, notching 2 interceptions and 34 tackles.

In 2004, Samuel played in 13 games, starting 8 of them. He led the team with his 12 deflected passes. Against Cincinnati on December 12, 2004, he got his second career touchdown off of an interception. He went on to start all three post season contests (including the Super Bowl) for the Patriots in 2004 and finished tied for the team lead with four pass breakups that post season. He also had 3 forced fumbles that season.

In 2005, Samuel started all 15 regular-season games in which he played and tied for the team lead with a career-high 3 interceptions and led the team with a career-high 18 deflected passes. He also notched a career-high 53 tackles. In the two playoff games in which the Patriots played, Samuel intercepted two passes. His two career playoff interceptions are tied for fourth in Patriots playoff history behind Rodney Harrison (6), Ty Law (4) and Fred Marion (3).

This year, already matching his career high in interceptions, Samuel seems to be a top cornerback. He's quick and gutsy, but more importantly, he has improved every year of his career. This year he is much more mature and intelligent as is displayed by his ability to "lure" quarterbacks into throwing the ball to his side of the field. Most of all, he can hit. It is amazing what such a small guy (5'10", 185 lbs) can do. Former Broncos TE Putzier can attest to that… so can Ricky Williams, both of whom were absolutely annihilated by Samuel during the 2004 season. He has a killer instinct and is extremely explosive. We can do nothing but expect more greatness from his side of the field.

Unfortunately, he is in his final year of his rookie contract. Whether or not the Patriots re-sign him completely depends on how much he will demand from the team. He seems to understand his role and likes to win (2 Super Bowl rings isn't bad, either). Hopefully the team will keep him around, but until his contract expires, let's sit back and watch him give quarterbacks (and receivers) headaches.
:self:

Last edited:

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
I like him, but are we sure he won't stay in Foxboro?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Samuel as well.... and I'm not so sure that New England can afford him

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like Samuel as well.... and I'm not so sure that New England can afford him

The Pats have like $20 million in cap space going into this season. I'm pretty sure that they can retain him if they want to.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
With all teams having an average of $20 in cap space I think in order to get a quality FA teams will have to grossly overpay. This NFL offseason could mirror the baseball offseason. I like Samuel a lot but he may be really pricey.

OP
OP
Redheart

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Asante Samuel UFA New England Patriots
Samuel has shown growth over the course of his three-plus years of experience, and at only 25 years of age, he’ll be a hot commodity. If the Patriots don’t sign him to an extension, suitors will be lining up to try and acquire the talented cornerback. His coverage skills have developed and some are even talking about a possible Pro Bowl invite. This season is quickly becoming a breakout year, and it could lead to a nice payday for Samuel, which doesn’t bode well for the Patriots; but, expect the Patriots to try hard to lock up the UCF product with an extension.
Peter King On Asante Samuel
The Patriots have to pay Asante Samuel, who's due to be a free-agent at the end of the year. Either that, or they need to franchise him at $7.8 million for 2007. He's an excellent cover corner, and a good run-force guy.

g. And remember, Pats: If you don't franchise him, he'll be dressed in green next year. And I don't mean the Packers. The Jets have only one starter -- right tackle Anthony Clement -- headed for free-agency, a strong need for a left corner and $28 million of cap room. Think they wouldn't have Samuel signed by 12:06 a.m. on the first day of free-agency?
On the other hand, Samuels is upset at NE for low balling him on their contract offer. Seems he is desiring a 5 year - 22 mil contract from them.
His comments when asked about the offer were "it's not even worth commenting on". I think he'll move on for the right deal and New England has already shown it will let key players go rather then pay them a huge contract.
:newcards:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05