My Plan to Save this Free Agency Period

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
So far, the Cards have only resigned their own players and lost LD. A net loss for free agency. Here's what would fix it for me.

OT - Move Wells to LT as he's played their before and will now often get a TE to help block.

At RT bring in Colombo as the starter. For insurance, sign a 2nd one from this list : J Black, Pettigout, K Walker or Gandy. Strickly for depth.

Then one of the 3 picks from the 1st day in the draft must be OT so the team has someone in training for 2008.

TE - Get a really good blocking TE. Kelly would work, so would D. Graham. (E. Johnson would not work).

FB - Need a solid run blocking fullback who can pickup the blitz.

Getting those 4 players (2 OTs, TE, & FB) should give the Cards a reasonable chance of running and keep Matt alive at QB.

FS - get a fast FS who can cover. Possible convert a nickel FA CB to FS just to have more speed.

LB - Need someone. Only have 2 starters on the team.

OC - Right now, the Cards only have 1 center on the team. It would be nice if they brought in someone better than Lechy so Lechy become depth and the Cards improve, but at least a body is need in FA.

If they did this, the they should be reasonable and be able to draft for the most part, BPA (must have a day 1 OT).

There are still plenty of players out there in FA to complete this plan, let's see if Graves can do it. Please post and tell me how my plan sounds.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With whats left this is what I do this offseason:

Sign:
OT Marc Columbo
OL Mike Gandy
FB Justin Griffith
TE Reggie Kelly
FS Terrence Holt
WR Shaun McDonald
OLB Donnie Edwards, if we can

Draft:
OT Joe Thomas - if you believe, he will be there
DE Lamar Woodley
FS Tom Zbikowski
C Kyle Young
DE Mkristo Bruce
OLB Prescott Burgess

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
and this...

SIGN JOEY PORTER...signing of a big name that makes a lot of sense with our cap space. Huff can then satisfy the desire for the almighty depth!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Overall, I like the plan, Steve.

I do not agree with you on one point.

This is an awesome draft class for OTs, and I'm pretty sure that Graves and Grimm feel the same way since no move was made to retain Big or sign Steinbach, Sinchcomb or Columbo. I wouldn't move Wells, since I feel Ross, Gandy/Black as stopgap and one of the 4 top OTs should able to handle the position.

All 4 top OTs in the draft have the potential to be better than Big, Columbo et al IMO, so I can definately live with one of the 4 plus Gandy/Black as back-up.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
With whats left this is what I do this offseason:

Sign:
OT Marc Columbo
OL Mike Gandy
FB Justin Griffith
TE Reggie Kelly
FS Terrence Holt
WR Shaun McDonald
OLB Donnie Edwards, if we can

Draft:
OT Joe Thomas - if you believe, he will be there
DE Lamar Woodley
FS Tom Zbikowski
C Kyle Young
DE Mkristo Bruce
OLB Prescott Burgess

Zbikowski is returning to ND this year. I also liked Prescott Burgess but i think he ran something like a 4.9 at the combine. Just to put that in perspective, Maurice Clarett would absolutely dust him in the 40 :hairraise .

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Steve's Plan

Pretty much agree. But only a big name signing (Joey Porter) will save FA from a "headline" point of view.

Rohinic

Reaction score
I think that "save" might be a little harsh, given that it is still early days yet, but I agree with most of what you have said. In fact, this looks suspiciously like the plan the team are working towards - decent players coming in and providing depth to an existing group they believe can be starters at this level.

Kudos for not pressing the panic button!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that "save" might be a little harsh, given that it is still early days yet, but I agree with most of what you have said. In fact, this looks suspiciously like the plan the team are working towards - decent players coming in and providing depth to an existing group they believe can be starters at this level.

Kudos for not pressing the panic button!

He did that Saturday.;)

OP
OP
AntSports Steve

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Bach, the reason I want to move Wells is the OT that are still available are RT and I don't want them to learn a new position. Also, they are slower than Wells. Wells moves pretty good so having him at the LT where most of the faster DE are would work. Also Wells would get to have TE help often. Wells has played LT and LG before so I'm sure he would do alright there. Just tossing one of these FA scrubs into the LT spot has me worried.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bach, the reason I want to move Wells is the OT that are still available are RT and I don't want them to learn a new position. Also, they are slower than Wells. Wells moves pretty good so having him at the LT where most of the faster DE are would work. Also Wells would get to have TE help often. Wells has played LT and LG before so I'm sure he would do alright there. Just tossing one of these FA scrubs into the LT spot has me worried.

Why not just move the TE to the Rigth side of the line if you want to help Wells? That would make the Right side the strong side and defenses would have to adjust accordingly.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, the Cards have only resigned their own players and lost LD. A net loss for free agency. Here's what would fix it for me.

OT - Move Wells to LT as he's played their before and will now often get a TE to help block.

At RT bring in Colombo as the starter. For insurance, sign a 2nd one from this list : J Black, Pettigout, K Walker or Gandy. Strickly for depth.

Then one of the 3 picks from the 1st day in the draft must be OT so the team has someone in training for 2008.

TE - Get a really good blocking TE. Kelly would work, so would D. Graham. (E. Johnson would not work).

FB - Need a solid run blocking fullback who can pickup the blitz.

Getting those 4 players (2 OTs, TE, & FB) should give the Cards a reasonable chance of running and keep Matt alive at QB.

FS - get a fast FS who can cover. Possible convert a nickel FA CB to FS just to have more speed.

LB - Need someone. Only have 2 starters on the team.

OC - Right now, the Cards only have 1 center on the team. It would be nice if they brought in someone better than Lechy so Lechy become depth and the Cards improve, but at least a body is need in FA.

If they did this, the they should be reasonable and be able to draft for the most part, BPA (must have a day 1 OT).

There are still plenty of players out there in FA to complete this plan, let's see if Graves can do it. Please post and tell me how my plan sounds.

And they gave Rod the raise? This is a better plan that I have see Rod come up with sense he got here. :D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much agree. But only a big name signing (Joey Porter) will save FA from a "headline" point of view.

I think the Cardinals are too often worried about headlines and that impairs their ability to truly better this team.

Joey Porter is not a headline grabbing signing IMO

Improving the OL, even with less flashy signings is a headline making event.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Good plan Steve...

The Cards have again over estimated the talent of our oline and we are forced to try to "make fit" the pieces we have the best we can.

The sobering truth about Wells? He should not be a starter. He would be a very solid 6th man if you will, with his flexibility to play accross the line. However, he is a man without a true position. He was tried inside but gets manhandled by power DT's. At RT, he get zero push in the run game but does an adequate job in pass protection. At LT he might be athletic enough to handle the speedier DE's but again, he will have a hard time making a push with the more stout DE.

Milford Brown is a young guy with limited starting experience. He has the build and athleticism to dominate inside and if he can continue his growth as a player, he should be a solid starter for us for a few years.

Deuce Lutui is the opposite of Brown...he is a mauler with limited athletic ability. However, he has a very positive attitude and he should have a big upside. Although he played well at times as a rookie, he really shouldn't be starting yet...I would love to see the Cards get the last two years out of Ruben Brown with Lutui as the #1 back-up for both G spots.

At C...I think it's positive to have a hard worker like Leckey and a veteran guy to duke it out. I think Leckey can play and if we had a better supporting cast, he might even be better.

There is no point in talking about anyone else on the current roster. There is a reason(s) they are not starters.

In summary, the reason our oline is struggling is we have 1 solid G, an up and coming G that should not be starting quite yet, an average or above average C, a really solid 6th man...and zero starting T's.

This line could be pretty solid from G-G if we just had two solid T's.

Joe Thomas and Kenyatta Walker?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Why not just move the TE to the Rigth side of the line if you want to help Wells? That would make the Right side the strong side and defenses would have to adjust accordingly.

Why have a player on the line that can't play his position without help? Now we have two players trying to block 1 DE?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why have a player on the line that can't play his position without help? Now we have two players trying to block 1 DE?

Actually I think Wells will do fine at RT by himself protecting Leinart's blind side. I don't understand why people want to move him to the Left side.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Actually I think Wells will do fine at RT by himself protecting Leinart's blind side. I don't understand why people want to move him to the Left side.

I want to move him to the bench...

Moving him to the left side has absolutely nothing to do with Leinart and everythinig to do with his ability vs the position requirements....Not where he can do the best but where his weaknesses can least be exposed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to move him to the bench...

Moving him to the left side has absolutely nothing to do with Leinart and everythinig to do with his ability vs the position requirements....Not where he can do the best but where his weaknesses can least be exposed.

Wells has great footwork but lacks power. I think that is what makes him best suited to play RT for us. He is able to slide with those speedy DE and protect Leinart's backside. That is something that Big struggled with.

I thought that Wells had a very good second half of the season when the team moved him to RT. Yes he's not going to overpower anyone in the running game but I think that with our RT, protecting Leinart is more important.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The quality of coaching Wells has received in his NFL career is below average on the whole IMO...and lets face it, Wells was an NFL project. I think last year he didn't play horribly and I think Loney was a big reason for that. I think that Grimm may be able to coax more out of Wells this year and if that is the case, he will be fine at RT.

I think Wells would be overmatched at LT however because, even though Hollywood is a lefty, the top pass rushers will still be lined up over the LT tackle since very few teams move their top pass rusher to the other side just for a lefty QB.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Wells has great footwork but lacks power. I think that is what makes him best suited to play RT for us. He is able to slide with those speedy DE and protect Leinart's backside. That is something that Big struggled with.

I thought that Wells had a very good second half of the season when the team moved him to RT. Yes he's not going to overpower anyone in the running game but I think that with our RT, protecting Leinart is more important.

The speedy elite DE's play on the other side, thus LT's get paid the most.

The LT is a cornerstone position of any franchise because they are there to first and foremost, stop the elite DE from killing the QB (usually his blindside). It is a bonus if that LT can be effective in the run game but it is very rare if you have both (Pace/Ogden). If the QB is a lefty, it does not change the fact that every defense lines it's elite speedy DE on over the LT.

The RT needs to be able to pass protect too but his DE is usually a guy like Kerney that can rush the passer effectively (but not a speedy elite guy like Rice or Freeney) but is also a bigger factor in the run game...therefore, the RT needs to be stronger and more physical to neutralize that guy.

I am not making this up....it's just the way it is!

Weakside LB, Strong Side LB, Middle LB...all different types of guys/talents.
Strong Safety...Free Safety.
FB...RB
Man coverage CB...Zone CB.
LT....RT
LDE....RDE

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The speedy elite DE's play on the other side, thus LT's get paid the most.

The LT is a cornerstone position of any franchise because they are there to first and foremost, stop the elite DE from killing the QB (usually his blindside). It is a bonus if that LT can be effective in the run game but it is very rare if you have both (Pace/Ogden). If the QB is a lefty, it does not change the fact that every defense lines it's elite speedy DE on over the LT.

The RT needs to be able to pass protect too but his DE is usually a guy like Kerney that can rush the passer effectively (but not a speedy elite guy like Rice or Freeney) but is also a bigger factor in the run game...therefore, the RT needs to be stronger and more physical to neutralize that guy.

I am not making this up....it's just the way it is!

We are in trouble then, because Whiz seems to think the roles change when you have a left handed QB:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/...84&postcount=1

If Davis does leave, Whisenhunt suggested Ross could be a replacement. Ross has been a right tackle most of his career, but Whisenhunt said because the Cardinals have left-handed Matt Leinart at quarterback, the “normal” duties of a right tackle would fit on the left side of the Cards’ line.

Whisenhunt said his perception of Ross is from Ross’ success with Whisenhunt’s Steelers teams and not from the troubles Ross has had after signing with Arizona as a free agent in 2005.

“I would hope there is a comfort level from his point in terms of knowing the offense and being able to perform in this offense,” Whisenhunt said. “So yes, I have hope Oliver can be productive for us.”

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This must be your favorite quote! LOL

Show me a quote from Whiz because this is vague.

The only thing that changes is the RT is protecting the blindside...it does not change what I have said above...teams don't switch their DE's when they play a left QB.

Show me where Whiz has said or even inferred that Wells will move to LT! Please enlighten me.

I'm extremely confident that when the first depth chart is posted, Wells will be our Starting RT. I will even go out on a limb and say that Ross will at least initially be listed as the starter at LT. I'm confident that the Cards will bring in another OT either through FA or the draft that can compete with Ross for the LT position. However for the time being it's Ross's job to lose.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Show me where Whiz has said or even inferred that Wells will move to LT! Please enlighten me.

I'm extremely confident that when the first depth chart is posted, Wells will be our Starting RT. I will even go out on a limb and say that Ross will at least initially be listed as the starter at LT. I'm confident that the Cards will bring in another OT either through FA or the draft that can compete with Ross for the LT position. However for the time being it's Ross's job to lose.

I am not sayinig Whiz said anything!

I am talking about LT vs RT!

The first depth chart is irrelevant but the opening day starter is the important part. I will place a wager with you that our opening day starters are not Ross at LT and Wells at RT. I don't think Ross even makes the roster.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This must be your favorite quote! LOL

Show me a quote from Whiz because this is vague.

Here is one from a totally different writer.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86426&highlight=whisenhunt

Kent Somer's Blog

Combine time
02/21/2007 08:31 AM
On the eve of departing for the NFL Scouting Combine, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt met with a couple of beat writers.
Some interesting nuggets came out of the conversation.

First, Whisenhunt likes Antrel Rolle at cornerback and won't move him to safety.

Two, he hasn't given up on offensive tackle Oliver Ross, who will get a look at left tackle. Whisenhunt coached Ross in Pittsburgh, but it would surprise me if they don't try to acquire an offensive tackle this off-season.

Whisenhunt said the team's talent is better than he imagined. But he has serious concerns about depth. He wants to create competition for jobs because he thinks.
some players tend to get a little lazy if they aren't being pushed.

That's twice now that Whiz has mentioned trying out Ross at LT.