My Plan to Save this Free Agency Period

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice plan, Steve.

I really hope we target Columbo. Straight up, I'd rather have Columbo than Big.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sayinig Whiz said anything!

I am talking about LT vs RT!

The first depth chart is irrelevant but the opening day starter is the important part. I will place a wager with you that our opening day starters are not Ross at LT and Wells at RT. I don't think Ross even makes the roster.

Got ya.

I still think that the reason LT are paid so much is because they are protecting the QB's blind side. Teams want their best pash rusher to hit the QB with out them knowing it. Thus knocking the ball loose. If the QB is left handed that advantage is taken away and the QB can see them coming off the left side.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude!
Do you want to wager or not? I am willing to bet a customized jersey that the starters on opening day will not be Ross at LT and Wells at RT.

No way am I going to bet Ross is going to be the LT on Opening Day. A lot can happen between now and then as I mentioned above.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Got ya.

I still think that the reason LT are paid so much is because they are protecting the QB's blind side. Teams want their best pash rusher to hit the QB with out them knowing it. Thus knocking the ball loose. If the QB is left handed that advantage is taken away and the QB can see them coming off the left side.

I am sure you are right...that is how the whole LT vs elite DE started but I don't ever remember teams switching their DE's when they played against Boomer, Steve Young, or Brunell.

So, IMHO...the Cards have still have the same rules but have an additional problem with finding a traditional RT who is not a liability in pass blocking.

OP
OP
AntSports Steve

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I agree with TheCardFan. First, Wells really is a quality 6th man as he doesn't really fit any OL position, but he plays ok.

Yes, the RT vs LT stuff for a lefty QB means that the Cards really need a quality LT to block the top DEs of the league and a solid RT that can pass block so the QBs blindside is protected.

I never said Whiz was going to put Wells at LT. I said in MY PLAN, he should play LT. But I agree with TheCardFan that Wells would be better as the depth player that the Cards bring in for injury replacement as I don't think he's starting quality.

Now since there is not a LT available of quality and I must use the Cards roster to make the best use of they players they have. I think the best chance of success for 2007 would be getting one of the true RTs in free agency and letting them play RT on the Cards OL. Then, since there are no LT, I think Wells could survive there and not get Matt killed as Wells is quick enough for most of the good DEs and against the top DEs, hopefully the Cards can have a RB or TE help out.

I think putting Ross, Gorin, Gandy, or any of the free agent RT at LT would be a mistake.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now since there is not a LT available of quality and I must use the Cards roster to make the best use of they players they have.
I think the Cards are either going to trade up to get Thomas or down to get a second-tier guy and pray to God that they can win the starting spot away from the guys currently on the roster. That's the only think that makes any sense to me.